• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Voting for High Council seats

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had a little Q&A session with the candidates running for the high council election and here are the answers I got back from them. With this out of the way, voting for the council is open from now till end of Thursday 19th - Look for more information regarding voting procedure in the next post.

TirNaNo'g

1. Please provide a brief introduction of yourself.
My name is TirNaNo'g, which is Irish for "Land of the Young", a legendary place in Irish mythology. I am a 10+ year veteran of UO, spending most of that time on the LS shard. I have been collecting rare items since the beginning, mostly for the purpose of house decoration. My collection is fairly small because I've spent much more time roleplaying and involved with my guild than on merchanting. Many of the items I collected I've obtained myself by stealing them from cities years ago, or buying before the shard transfers existed. I love quests and events and the tiny details underlying the stories that make up the history of Britannia.

2. What type of role would you like to see the council playing?
As an advocate for the rare collectors of UO, in presenting a collective voice of our concerns to Devs regarding their future updates (the addition of new items which damage old rares), and requesting an expedient resolution to known exploits or dupes as they become known. The council could also serve as a centralized source for information on brokers and traders, as in the recent trusted sellers list on stratics, so that new or casual collectors could purchase items with greater confidence.

3. Why do you think you are qualified to lead the council?
I strive to be an honorable player, and have always sought the means to know more about the game and the history of all seer and EM events.

4. There is a myriad of views regarding duping and it is quite a hot topic currently. Do you have any specific thoughts on this matter that you would like to share?
Although I hate duping and would like to do anything possible to discourage it, I think declaring certain items to be duped and therefore no longer rares can have a terrible impact on the new and casual collectors. When something that might have been the cornerstone of a small collection, such as a Shattered Crystal Wisp Fragment, Subdue, Calm, etc is suddenly declared to be a dupe unable to be sold or traded on the forums, it can change that item of pride into a shameful possession. Although the specific item may or may not have been a dupe, the owner may have obtained an original, or may have been unaware of the status of the item they were purchasing, and should not be punished for that. Duped or not, owning an event weapon might encourage a new collector to be more interested in UO and rare collecting -

5. What do you think are the biggest challenges facing collectors, wether they may be veteran or new or casual collectors.
One of the issues I see repeatedly coming up is the lack of information on what seer and event items exist. Manticore's list is a wonderful resource but needs as much updating as possible, with more accurate numbers, recent prices sold for, and most importantly pictures of the items and their properties.
The biggest game difficulty for collectors is probably the difficulty of performing safe transactions over 125 mil, as the depreciation of the gold piece has driven the price of most rares out of the range of exchanges the game can handle through trade windows and vendors. Although there are a few trusted honorable rares brokers, the difficulty of trading between less well-known players should also be possible.
My personal biggest challenge is that I'm not rich and can't afford the prices of most of the things I want anymore.

6. Anything else you would like to state?
I am hopeful for the outcome of the council, no matter the result of the votes. I'd like to get to know more of the rares collectors that are out there and learn about the events from their shards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Alcestis

Okay well… Hi! My name is Alcestis. I’m a 23 year old girl ( woman would be an overstatement) from Belgium, the heart of Europe. I have been playing UO for just over 8 years now. While other noobies were hunting for gear, I was hunting to buy my first potted plant. My main interest in UO is trading/running my mall Blue Wolf Traders on the Europa shard. And of course collecting! I don’t really trade in true rares/event items however, *is greedy and wants to keep everything to herself!* :p

I’m gonna be honest: I think the council is a bit of an utopic idea and I have my doubts on how effective it will be in the way founder Tomas is expecting it to be. Yes indeed, it will be interesting to be able to voice our opinions and express our concerns as a group. But I think the first goal of the council should be to try and actually make the rares-collectors ‘one’ as such. Cause let’s face it: there’s a lot of pancakes and stabbing going on in our community – mostly I believe, cause we simply do not know each other well enough to understand each others points of view and opinions. Perhaps the council can help us find this team spirit, so that in time, we can indeed come out as a firm ‘whole’.

My interest in rares is genuine. That’ll have to suffice!

4. There is a myriad of views regarding duping and it is quite a hot topic currently. Do you have any specific thoughts on this matter that you would like to share?

Bleeurgh, more dupe talk? Hmm… Well in my opinion you have 5% white, 90% grey and 5% black players. And instead of trying to confuse people with all the babbling on this subject, making it easier for dupers and fences to convince them that the line between grey and black is hard to draw, we should stand strong and just cast out those particular ‘bad’ individuals.

5. What do you think are the biggest challenges facing collectors, whether they may be veteran or new or casual collectors.

The challenge of earning enough money to buy all those shiny uniques?
When you feel the passion, that’s the only factor that you can’t control.

My favorite animals are tigers and bears and my favorite colour is blue!

Manticore

I am Manticore of Baja.

Monitor illegal rare sales

I know more than anyone else (about origin of rares and ownership history).

4. There is a myriad of viewsregarding duping and it is quite a hot topic currently. Do you have any specific thoughts on this matter that you would like to share?
Monitor illegal rare sales

5. What do you think are the biggest challenges facing collectors, whether they may be veteran or new or casual collectors?
knowledge

Aspen/DVI

My name is Aspen the owner of DVI vendors on LS formerly of the treasure trove mall on atlantic. I've been collecting and selling rares on and off for the past 2-3 years.

Helping to spread knowledge about duped rares and to attempt to play a role in unifying the community to reduce duping or remove affected items from the game.

I have significant knowledge about rares, rares collecting, and the uo economy and how they relate.

4. There is a myriad of viewsregarding duping and it is quite a hot topic currently. Do you have any specific thoughts on this matter that you would like to share?
As is well known I'm against duping and those who blatantly and knowingly support it by fencing duped goods

5. What do you think are the biggest challenges facing collectors, whether they may be veteran or new or casual collectors?
Our ability to unite as a community and put aside our rampant pettiness and jealousies.

AtlanticVlad

Hi, I'm Vladimir I've been playing off and on since the beginning =) For the most part Much of that has been good times but some bad. However, the good make up for it. I'm an entertainer IRL more specifically a juggler. Many of you already know me, and some of you should get to know me. I love meeting new people and making new friends. I like to try to bring the fun wherever I go, both IRL and in game. But enough about me tell me something about you (Directed at any one reading this not just Tomas).

I think the council should be playing an active roll in documenting the history of items via pictures and background story's where applicable. I also believe the council should try to bring collectors together so this will be a safe community, free of scampers and people gouging prices. I don't know that the trusted trader thread is the greatest idea but I think some sort of rating for overall business experiences with people would be great. I would also like for us to find a way to work hand in hand with the people in charge to try to keep rare things rare. However that’s best done.

I believe my self to have a slightly different outlook on rares and I would really like to see someone on the council from a decorator’s viewpoint. I am well organized and, I never find a problem organizing others. I'm also fairly well known and well liked. I would like to encourage collectors to display there rares in more creative ways in the future (Examples to come soon) and I would like to also try to preserve the history behind items and document them better then they have been in the past. (The Orb, on LS I think has done a great job with that part of things) I would really like to try to bring our community together more and have more get togethers and events for us even if its just "Everyone make a noob on such and such server and go chat for a few hours".

Ok this one is a messy one. I think this is a huge problem I do believe we can help but I don't believe for an instant it will come from not buying things from these people. They will always have fences and be one step ahead of us in that respect.

The only end I can foresee to this particular problem is for us to help identify the problem individuals and help EA or whoever has the authority to do anything to take LEGAL ACTION IRL! These people should not be allowed to ruin a world we care about even if it is just pixels with no RL repercussions. Sure we can ban them they will just come back on a new IP with a new name and new credit card. If we have to get lawyers and take matters into our own hand then we need to organize and GET IT DONE! They are breaking the Terms of Service, and it is affecting us. They NEED TO BE PUNISHED! I don't know how feasible this is or how many of you would be willing to go to court to prosecute this and be on national TV for doing such but I think its about time. I've been playing Ultimas since I was 6. I loved the old ones and I still love this one I don't want people to ruin it for me, or any one else. Scripting is the same type of thing a bit harder to deal with, but we need to find a RL way to deal with these people not in cyber space.

Inflation and Availability, look these items are rare yes the longer they exist the less of them there are in some respect dupers may have done some people a favor with some of these things. I cant say I want them to continue but since these items exist, We have to deal with it. I would like to see some of the hording stopped I understand some of you like your 6 super rare what ever. But how do I get one? At the very least don't keep them all in a box in a locked up a private house at least have them on display even if it is in a cliché museum with huge stone tables and have it open so we can see them. I'd rather see them in a display that makes sense but I'll talk about that some other time. There’s really got to be enough for all of us.

I hope I'm seriously considered for this I'd like to help get this ball rolling. And I look forward to answering any more questions you all may have of me.

Kaj

I am Kaj. ~10 year vet. Have been an active collector and trader for (off and on) 9 years.

Two roles:
-Communication with EA/Jeremy. Us collectors are special bunch of people. Usually rich, very dedicated and we deal in niche items. For us a 'Bird's nest' is something we all know about. For EA that's usually not the case. I think it would be good if we could communicate any concerns about items and future plans as a group, rather than 50 individual e-mails to Jeremy. Along the years many, many rares have been 'reissued' as common items. Remember the glassblowing books? Cauldrons? Nowadays everyone throws those items in the trash. If we as a focus group could respond to that, Jeremy/EA would at least know how we feel, and hopefully reconsider.
Also, we usually know quite well which items have been duped and who sells these dupes. If we can organise this information (and do the necessary research) and pass on this information as one voice, maybe EA can track down the dupers or the dupes. It's a long shot, but a good goal.

I have been collecting and trading for a long time. I am very active, both on the forums as ingame. I don't mind voicing my opinion and I will be sure to participate as positively as I can.
Also I am the only European person on the candidate list ;) [sic]. Europa has a rich rares collecting and event history. It would be a shame if we were left out, so to say.

Duping is a horrible thing. For us collectors the idea of an item being actually rare is the core of our profession. Duping undermines the spirit of our community and I think anyone that has been involved in these practices should be banned from our community and the game.
I think we should accept the game as it was intended. And duping is abusing game mechanics. I think that items that have been obviously duped (many PvP items) need to be nerfed.

5. What do you think are the biggest challenges facing collectors, whether they may be veteran or new or casual collectors.
Rares are basically 'easy to learn, hard to master'. It's not something that comes to you in 1 day. It takes years of true dedication. I think the biggest challenge is keeping a clear view of the situation and not being dragged along my momentary hypes or ideas.

Regardless of whether I'm chosen to be in the council, I think it's a great initiative and I have high hopes of it improving our situation as a community.

Elbryan Uthador

I have been playing for about 6 years, but just started my collecting a little over a year ago. I am more of a specialty collector, interested in the Napa Valley event items.

I would like to see the council set up museum tours on all shards, help determine what and which items have been duped. I would also like to see the council help newer collectors get started. (i.e., introducing them to other members of the community.)

I bring a newer view on collecting. Just starting out, I have been helped by most all of you, and I want to be able to help others that are just starting or are coming back into collecting. I am by far not the richest collector and can relate to the newer collectors out there.

I don’t condone duping at all. It does hurt the community as a whole when a rare item (less than 5) is duped and then sold. It hurts the ones the earned the original ones or purchased it. I will say, that I don’t think that a person with a known duped item should be looked down upon or ridiculed on this board. Each and everyone of us has an item that we know has been duped or thinks that it has been duped. Would I buy a duped item? I would have to say yes if its one that I needed to complete my collection.

Availability. That is the key. There are many items out there that will never be seen again due to bannings, or just lost in time. With no really new events (EM) the quantity of new items is stagnant.

I think that having a council is a great idea. As one voice we can at least show a united front to EA Mythic. This council can help keep our rares, rare.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Voting instructions:

Each registered member of the Rare Council, including the candidates, (if you have not registered yet, please do so in this thread) will give FOUR names of their choice for the high council. The votes can be turned in the following manner:

1) Via PM to me

or

2) Via a book in game. In order to do this - you have to icq me to set up in game meeting on Atlantic. You can either mark your name on the book or leave it unmarked. I will not be looking at them till all the votes are in.

In the end I will tally up all the votes and top four will be elected. Please do not icq me the votes.

I think that should just about cover everything. Feel free to contact the candidates yourself via PM if you want to ask them any other questions.

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vote for me and I'll give you a free hug and a thank you Book/Card =)

unless you don't want a hug in which case I'll just thank you and give you a thumbs up =)

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Voting closes tomorrow! I have only gotten like 25% turnout so far. Make up your minds people.

BTW, registration for membership is still open. Check the other thread for info. There are still people missing who signed up on the old boards.

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All Hugs will be awarded on Atlantic And it is the voters responsibility to make arrangements with me to meet for said hug =)

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you all for voting.

We got a total of 35 votes and the final results are as follows:

Manticore 31
Aspen 25
Alcestis 20
Uthador 20
Kaj 18
Tirnanog 13
Vlad 11

(Two people chose to give only three names)

I would like to thank all the candidates for stepping up to the plate. It was a very close result.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hard choices there, but keeping the council limited during it's initial run is the best way to go, I feel

congratulations to you all

now get to work

one point, if I may..... we are all busy, things will be discussed at random times, structured meetings may or may not be held, meetings may be open or closed, whatever the circumstance I think it's really important to keep the entire community aware of how the council is doing and which direction it is heading ~~~ keeping that communication open will encourage everyone to take a more active role in supporting the council's ideas, some of which may be presented to EA/Mythic ~~ it's important that everyone know that we are all, really, a part of the council

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

Im very pleased with the result and are really looking forward to the first report from the High Council.

Regards
The Scandinavian

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Fiddlesticks thats ok though I can't really honestly say I expected the resaults to be much differnt I havent been around this particular comunity much yet thats ok theres always next time who else do I owe hugs to?

P

PoCove

Congrats to all the elected .. I also look forward to getting this getting started ..

P

prison bound

Well Fiddlesticks thats ok though I can't really honestly say I expected the resaults to be much differnt I havent been around this particular comunity much yet thats ok theres always next time who else do I owe hugs to?
i voted for ya vlad, but i wont next time if you insist on hugs :gee:

V

Vahne

I sure hope Uthador keeps his campaign promise to set up museum tours the shards!....or else...:gun:

Of course I'm not so sure it was a promise as much as a great idea that I would fully support and volunteer to help coordinate.

In any case, Congratulations to those who won. I hope that these well known personalities can work together to reduce the elitist attitudes and divisiveness that reinforce the negative stigmas associated with us crazy rares addicts.

PS: Vlad you owe me a hug....*logs on to Atl - Luna*...I'm waiting....*taps feet*:grouphug: