• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Comics Vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I voted last week. Early voting is awesome, 5 minutes of waiting in line vs. 3 hours of waiting in line.

I've never quite understood why people wait until the last day if early voting is available, including on weekends, which helps with trying to fit voting into a work schedule. Early voting is open for two weeks in my state yet most people still wait for the last day with the longest lines for some reason.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seriously can't actually 'believe' your voting system. There is NO WAY that voting would be held on a working weekday in our country (Australia). ALL voting is done on a Saturday from 8am - 6pm to allow the majority of people the best opportunity to vote. You can vote early in all major centres two weeks prior to the official vote if for whatever reason you will be unable to vote on the selected day (travelling etc). You can postal vote if you are going to be away. The LONGEST time I have every had to 'wait' to vote has been around 20mins but then again I went at 'peak' time around 10am sat morning.

It is also COMPULSORY which is probably the BEST thing about it. (Compulsory does not mean you have to actually mark the ballot paper or vote formally, if there is no one on the ballot you want you can 'informal' vote by leaving it blank or writing Elmer Fudd or whatever) but you do have to go to the voting booth and get your name marked off the election roll. Beauty of this is that most people that attend figure if they are there they may as well vote properly. At the last federal election in 2016 the informal vote was 5.05%. Sure there are always the bunch of bogans who complain about it being compulsory but the low informal vote shows that it is the most effective way to ensure that the most people take up their responsibility to vote. Gee they even have 'sausage' sizzles and all manner of stuff at the voting venues. Last one I went to the local Hospital Auxillary had its fundraising stand outside selling cakes and stuff to raise money for the hospital. The majority of voting venues are local schools, hospitals, community centres etc.

I cant believe nearly 50% of the eligible voters didn't bother to vote, and nor can I believe that of the 360+ million people in the USA only 225 mil are even registered. The fact that only around 125mil voted is really quite amazing. Sad really that so few people can be bothered about the people in control of their lives.

Oh on another note and given the above : see my other thread *shoves tongue in cheek*

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Seriously can't actually 'believe' your voting system. There is NO WAY that voting would be held on a working weekday in our country (Australia). ALL voting is done on a Saturday from 8am - 6pm to allow the majority of people the best opportunity to vote. You can vote early in all major centres two weeks prior to the official vote if for whatever reason you will be unable to vote on the selected day (travelling etc). You can postal vote if you are going to be away. The LONGEST time I have every had to 'wait' to vote has been around 20mins but then again I went at 'peak' time around 10am sat morning.

It is also COMPULSORY which is probably the BEST thing about it. (Compulsory does not mean you have to actually mark the ballot paper or vote formally, if there is no one on the ballot you want you can 'informal' vote by leaving it blank or writing Elmer Fudd or whatever) but you do have to go to the voting booth and get your name marked off the election roll. Beauty of this is that most people that attend figure if they are there they may as well vote properly. At the last federal election in 2016 the informal vote was 5.05%. Sure there are always the bunch of bogans who complain about it being compulsory but the low informal vote shows that it is the most effective way to ensure that the most people take up their responsibility to vote. Gee they even have 'sausage' sizzles and all manner of stuff at the voting venues. Last one I went to the local Hospital Auxillary had its fundraising stand outside selling cakes and stuff to raise money for the hospital. The majority of voting venues are local schools, hospitals, community centres etc.

I cant believe nearly 50% of the eligible voters didn't bother to vote, and nor can I believe that of the 360+ million people in the USA only 225 mil are even registered. The fact that only around 125mil voted is really quite amazing. Sad really that so few people can be bothered about the people in control of their lives.

Oh on another note and given the above : see my other thread *shoves tongue in cheek*
Oh I agree with you there, I actually wouldn't mind it if we went to mandatory, or compulsory voting like they do in AU, though I'd leave it on the traditional day here in the US and just make it a national work holiday exempting Health Care, Emergency Services, and other public safety professions, leaving it basically illegal for any other business to operate that day.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Thank you for that post, MissEcho. I did not know that voting was "mandatory" Down under. Here way too many people pancake and moan and then wait to see what the folks that make an effort to vote do.

I would always ask the kids that work for me if they are even registered. The majority of times I am told "Well, I am going to..." Seems they are too busy being self absorbed to bother with any civic duty. They let others make the decisions and then protest the results when things do not go their way.

Way too many consider face book memes and twitter blasts as factual news. When folks surround themselves with like minded people and are not only insulated from opposing views and ideas, they deny they exist.

It is hard to blame all of this on the general population. Acorrding to almost all experts, pundits and media Hillary was just waiting for her coronation. It was all done... why vote?

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron

Re: access - while Tuesday gets all the attention for its carnival like atmosphere and coverage, voting here (it varies some from state to state) is a month long opportunity. You can vote early 9-5 Monday - Friday, and 9-1 Saturday at the county clerks office; you can vote by mail (absentee) if you are out of town or disabled/homebound. The polling places here in Wisconsin are open from 7am - 9pm. So it's not so much that people can't go vote as it is they won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.