• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Visual Fully Loaded Houses vs. Houses that Load When You Step On...

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure this topic has been up before... so no need to have a cow about it. Its jus ta simple question. :)

I'm wondering...

Standard house: You see a house without anything more then stone and foundation 99%+ times out of 100. You run through a neighborhood, recall in, clearly... its about the memory cashe and cutting down lag, so you dont want 100 houses all loaded and ready.

I dont know if there is a difference between "public" and "private" houses... as you see this issue.

Then the rare houses... like around Super Lagtown Luna... that appear fully loaded, without EVER stepping foot on them. And these houses range from the very small to the large, (not very large as this is a restricted in size area).

We are not talking a few chests or just things along the step shelf as you come in. All houses tend to show items on the front steps as well as any full stairs if they are exposed. Some houses are normal, you see nothing but vendors. Many (if not around 40-50% at least on Atlantic) are brimming with flashing rubbish and EM drops... colored stone.

To tell the truth... when I came back to full time play after part-time for a few years... I was shocked at the monumental mess and shocked still the same why staff hasn't done anything about it. Still, this leads me wondering why some are... some are not. Even with a super-powerful computer that sees very few UO game-play issues these days (delighted), Lagtown still gives a headache. :)

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah HA! So... thats why I have seen the true floor under new stone floor tiles. :)

Add one more "bug issue" to the amazingly long list.

Thank you, guys! :cool:

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This is a bug that needs fixing. I don't want to be forced to see someones crap... @Kyronix, @Bleak... please do something about this.
Not really - I'd rather see some nice custom housing and have a little lag than a bunch of empty house plots.

If they made crafted stone show up without needing the mat floor that might be a good compromise.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The bamboo floor needs to be fixed. If people want to see the house all they have to do is walk on the steps. No reason to have everyone lag for selfish reasons, its ridiculous. Not to mention the stone pavers cause lots of issues when using cntrl shift to see things. FIX IT IMMED

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I often wonder just how old some peoples computers are. I never have any lag issues in UO at all. I like seeing the houses load. They look fairly stupid when they don't

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It wasnt all that long ago... we were online thanks to "dial up". No lag playing UO then, Capt. Lucky? :)

It wasnt over night... and many of us can not afford to get a brand new computer every year... or even every other year... or once in 5 years. Or 10. Not to mention, in early 2001... I couldn't get any place NEAR Brit West. Also, not forgetting the constant and unexpected crashes all the time. If you didnt play during this? You wouldnt know anything about UO connection and LAG issues.

Lots of factors like Connection line in to the house. Computer... and its general condition, keep up on security. Then Operating System. Like how much I still love XP vs. the rubbish Macrosoft forced upon us, Windows 10. Many of us are not computer engineers that have the latest and greatest. Different times... different challenges.

Like... back when I was a kid... we had to walk 20 miles TO SCHOOL... in the SNOW, every day. And you think that was bad? We had to walk UP HILL.... BOTH WAYS... IN that SNOW :)

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I often wonder just how old some peoples computers are. I never have any lag issues in UO at all. I like seeing the houses load. They look fairly stupid when they don't
My questions would be ... how often do they optimize their system; what's a tracert to their shard like - any laggy spots? How is their internet service in general - speed, condition, etc.

Now what do I mean by all that?
Optimized system - any anti-virus products in use? Are you protected?
Spyware checks?
** I use both MalwareBytes and Spybot about every 2 weeks
Disk defragmentation?
** I use Smart Defrag 6 monthly

Internet lag - do a tracert to the shard or its IP address
** somewhere there has to be a list of the shard names/IP addresses. Locate it and use it.
Any spots with high returns?
Any spots with no response?

Internet service - service connection good or does it flake out periodically?
** depending on things a filter or booster in-line might assist.
Service rate to your house/apartment - what speed? 10 mbps <> 1 gbps
** I have 100 mbps service but modem can handle up to 1 gbps
What speed is your network adapter set to use? If set for a specific speed lower than your service that can affect things.
** Mine is set for auto-detect but I check it periodically just in case.

My system is a 6 YO Dell which replaced a 10 YO homebrew setup that fried the motherboard. <shrug> Also consider the type of hookup between the system and modem - is it ethernet cable or WiFi? I noticed an improved performance when I went WiFi.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My questions would be ... how often do they optimize their system; what's a tracert to their shard like - any laggy spots? How is their internet service in general - speed, condition, etc.

Spyware checks?
Disk defragmentation?

** somewhere there has to be a list of the shard names/IP addresses. Locate it and use it.

What speed is your network adapter set to use? If set for a specific speed lower than your service that can affect things.

My system is a 6 YO Dell which replaced a 10 YO homebrew setup that fried the motherboard. <shrug> Also consider the type of hookup between the system and modem - is it ethernet cable or WiFi? I noticed an improved performance when I went WiFi.
I do most that... though I might make you slightly jealous as I have a 1GB service and typically get 900mbps with a 50 to 70 download... which is all fiber-optic network... though that does me no good as when it gets toward the servers it just drops out... but for most things, it's pretty nice and really fast and not affected in the least by the 3 other adults in the house who are constantly gaming or streaming video...

Though my internet does on occasion "flake out" usually when the squirrels in the neighborhood decide to snack on the cables out by the pole... *(you can usually tell this has happened if when it rains or gets wet or windy and your internet goes to poo)... then I know it's time to call my ISP and have them to a check of the cables.

And again if your router or modem can't handle the speed then you won't get it. I don't cheap out on my router or modem... and use a proper cable ... right now I have a Cat6 which is ok but Cat7's are better. But many people buy the cheap ones or use wifi... and again if your router can't handle high-end wifi you aren't gonna get it. I always insist on being hard-wired to my router.. zero interference that way unless of course, the cat chews up the wires...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
It wasnt all that long ago... we were online thanks to "dial up". No lag playing UO then, Capt. Lucky? :)

It wasnt over night... and many of us can not afford to get a brand new computer every year... or even every other year... or once in 5 years. Or 10. Not to mention, in early 2001... I couldn't get any place NEAR Brit West. Also, not forgetting the constant and unexpected crashes all the time. If you didnt play during this? You wouldnt know anything about UO connection and LAG issues.

Lots of factors like Connection line in to the house. Computer... and its general condition, keep up on security. Then Operating System. Like how much I still love XP vs. the rubbish Macrosoft forced upon us, Windows 10. Many of us are not computer engineers that have the latest and greatest. Different times... different challenges.

Like... back when I was a kid... we had to walk 20 miles TO SCHOOL... in the SNOW, every day. And you think that was bad? We had to walk UP HILL.... BOTH WAYS... IN that SNOW :)
I have the 5 dollar beta CD lol

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

Spyware checks?
Disk defragmentation?

All good stuff. I'd say packet loss is the number one enemy though. Wifi over a direct connection? No way. Gotta be a bad cable.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I remember pancakes a pancake with UO over disconnects and lag. I wrote them some harsh emails. Everything seemed fine with me except UO. Finally called Comcast and figured, well if it's not Comcast I'll just pay for the service call to know for sure. When they disconnected the cable outside connecting to the house water poured outta the line lol. Needless to say my connect was soon smoking again once they replaced my drop.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... <snip> ... Though my internet does on occasion "flake out" usually when the squirrels in the neighborhood decide to snack on the cables out by the pole... *(you can usually tell this has happened if when it rains or gets wet or windy and your internet goes to poo)... then I know it's time to call my ISP and have them to a check of the cables.
... <snip> ...
For some strange reason, although there's a bunch of squirrels here, the cable hookup hasn't been touched. The filter is out on the pole and that has gone bad a couple times. From there to the house it's all underground then there's a signal booster in the garage because there's a splitter for 3 different service areas here.

BTW 1 gig service doesn't make me jealous at all. For all I know the mainline is that however the run from the street to the house may not support it - and I ain't paying to get it dug up and redone. They can do that on their hook - it's a 40 yard run.