• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vendor search not working

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
most of the time when I search for something it comes back too vague no matter what I search for, have they addressed this issue anywhere yet?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
most of the time when I search for something it comes back too vague no matter what I search for, have they addressed this issue anywhere yet?
Pawain suggested to me in a separate thread to "exclude items on Felucca". Maybe try that?? (It''s under misc)

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly I've only experienced this on ATL which means most likely the vendor/auction database on ATL has grown to the point where searches are taking too long and possibly using too many resources.

I thought maybe limiting items under 1,000 gold from being searched would do it, but then people would just set their 10 gold runes to their stores to 1,000 gold.

Players: Please stop selling runes to your store, they are virtually useless!

I can use nothing but item name on other shards and it works perfectly.

This topic has been posted on official forums several times over the past 9 months roughly. (FYI)

EDIT: I'm wondering if they remove the auction search functionality. I have a feeling ever since they implemented that, this problem occurred.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The more vague your search is, The less chance your results come up too vague.
I agree! For me anyway, the MORE vague I make my search, the better results I have (not getting the "search is too vague" default). I can look for an item that is 1) not brittle, 2) not cursed, 3) not antique, and end up with "search is too vague". I can then "take out" the not cursed, and not antique, and get items to look at. Or, if, say, I want a Legendary scroll of anatomy, sometimes I get the "vague" message. If I then take out "Legendary" it will show them all. I think the term that applies is "bassackwards". LOL @Bleak @Kyronix

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Neither way works for me, below are two examples from ATL...
If I logout and log back in on LS, both searches work - in seconds.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the search function may need some optimizing or the database searches could use caching.

First using just Item Name, as I cannot remove 1. Non Auction Item and 2. Price: Low to High
Second using Item Name, Equipment Piece, Not Brittle, Not Antique.

1582059201956.png
1582059292468.png

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also...

Did you know whatever you put in Item Name is being searched through item properties as well?

That seems like extra work is being done by the search function that doesn't have to be in there...

If you search for "Lower Mane Cost" as an item name, all items with LMC come up with it. However, we already have a selective property to specifically look for LMC.

This is why I think the search function could use some optimizing.

EDIT: If a dev happens to read this, please keep the ability in to search for Lesser Artifact, etc. TY :heart:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Neither way works for me, below are two examples from ATL...
If I logout and log back in on LS, both searches work - in seconds.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the search function may need some optimizing or the database searches could use caching.

First using just Item Name, as I cannot remove 1. Non Auction Item and 2. Price: Low to High
Second using Item Name, Equipment Piece, Not Brittle, Not Antique.

View attachment 105808
View attachment 105809
Perhaps try your second search criteria without the word "artifact". Legendary should be sufficient to search for legendary leg pieces.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps try your second search criteria without the word "artifact". Legendary should be sufficient to search for legendary leg pieces.
True and that's actually funny that ended in showing me results instead of criteria being too vague.

This only further makes me think that the search function needs optimizing.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
VS has been iffy for a long time. Way before auction safes were added. Sometimes searching "high to low" helps. Sometimes recalling to wbb and back helps. It's an enigma.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

HP_Zoro_HP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Where does mesanna usually post a reply at to this sort of thing? I myself am also still waiting on hearing about the upcoming idoc changes. Is there someone somewhere in cjarge of like letting the players knpw whats going on?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
There is no Community Liaison if that's what you meant, sometimes they seem to not tell us things for the fun of it, or maybe they just forget to tell us, it's difficult to say....there was meant to be a discussion about IDOC changes, ideas for people to give their thoughts on. All we actually had was player threads that all ended up getting locked because the wrong people posted with the wrong opinions....

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Where does mesanna usually post a reply at to this sort of thing? I myself am also still waiting on hearing about the upcoming idoc changes. Is there someone somewhere in cjarge of like letting the players knpw whats going on?
I think they stick to the uo.com forums.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trouble is, they can't fix it till they know what's causing it. Vendor search seems to work ok on every shard but Atlantic.

I did just try a search there. Legendary artifact returns a 'too vague' - which I take to really mean the search timed out.
When I narrowed that down to Legendary artifact required skill 'swordsmanship. I got a result.

The devs rarely post unless they have something positive to report.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A simple acknowledgement from an official stating that they are aware the search is not working properly and are working towards fixing it would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I don't expect this for every little thing but something as big as a vendor search function not working properly for a major shard seems like a big issue to me.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no Community Liaison if that's what you meant, sometimes they seem to not tell us things for the fun of it, or maybe they just forget to tell us, it's difficult to say....there was meant to be a discussion about IDOC changes, ideas for people to give their thoughts on. All we actually had was player threads that all ended up getting locked because the wrong people posted with the wrong opinions....
Non-cheerleaders need not apply. lol

And as always, they took the quickest and easiest patchup quickfix workaround way out, and decided to not have it show on the house signs.
But, an unusual event happened, and they listened to the players and decided that was not a good idea and dropped that idea.

Now, about the discussion about idocs, who knows? Were the random posts in the locked threads really it? Did it happen elsewhere? Did it happen at all? Who was in on the round table at these discussions? Was it strictly for the devs themselves?

My first impression was that they would put together a group to brainstorm (hoped), of course it woulda been filled with the cohorts and scripters, with maybe a few random people in it.

I realize that this is Mesanna and the team's game. But sooner or later they are gonna have to pull their heads out of the sand, and start doing things to stop scripting WITHOUT killing the average player, which is what everything they have done so far has done.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I am starting to believe there is some secret club that gets consulted on major changes because often they are not what the majority of players really want, or if they are then maybe they didn't think things through enough, at least take into account human nature and behaviour, which tends to ruin any 'good idea'....

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The devs rarely post unless they have something positive to report.
I feel a bit bad for them. Kyronix clearly tried to engage with the community. But everytime it got hostile, he was pretty much by himself. Mesanna never really showed up there or showed her support. How can you expect your developers to constantly take all the piss because everyone in charge is hiding? Maybe Kyronix does not mind it at all, but it feels he posted more often last year.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I feel a bit bad for them. Kyronix clearly tried to engage with the community. But everytime it got hostile, he was pretty much by himself. Mesanna never really showed up there or showed her support. How can you expect your developers to constantly take all the piss because everyone in charge is hiding? Maybe Kyronix does not mind it at all, but it feels he posted more often last year.
When you tag him now at the official forums he has all but stopped replying. I'm not sure I blame him though.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be perfectly honest, over the years I've seen some real nasty feedback to our dev team. I don't know if people think they're being funny, or if their emotions are getting the better of them. Generally speaking, acting like a jerk to get what you want doesn't usually work out.

On the other hand the devs shouldn't be surprised cause that's the way the a lot of people act on the internet, right... If I were a dev and someone @'d me with a nasty comment, they'd simply be put on ignore. Don't let a couple jerks prevent you from socializing with the community that plays the game you work on. There are many people out here that appreciate what the development team does for us.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Often it makes no difference how polite you are in your requests when changes are planned, in the thread discussing the T-hunt changes a few of us begged them not to make changes that so many people didn't want or ask for, but we were just ignored. The people who wanted the changes seemed to be the only ones replied to. Kyronix was the only one who ever seemed to listen to anyone, he also spent a lot of time on the TC but after that thread even he just seemed to have had an idea of the direction and stuck to it. Most players would never PM a Dev with nasty comments, I know I wouldn't, eventually you just give up trying to get their attention though.

HP_Zoro_HP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I was actually looking for the discussion on the idoc changes as well and then all of a sudden i see the changes hit test center and im like... Well... Guess it was rubbish when they announced that they listened to player feedback and were going back to the drawing board?

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was actually looking for the discussion on the idoc changes as well and then all of a sudden i see the changes hit test center and im like... Well... Guess it was rubbish when they announced that they listened to player feedback and were going back to the drawing board?
What IDOC changes came with this publish i did not read about any ?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
They said they would remove IDOC status from the house sign, but I'm not sure if they changed their mind on that part, or if they are still deciding whether to do that along with other, undecided changes. Who knows, the actual discussion with players and the Dev team never happened, they didn't bring any ideas to discuss.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMO. the problem with VS is with Auction Safes. Auction Safes are constantly changing and updating so this forces Search to constantly update. Even though you may not be searching for Auction Safe items, VS is still updating on them. With the number of Auction Safes now, VS updating every minute or so is not uncommon.

The vague response you get is due to a wording problem corresponding with VS. The less words you use in the name, the better. Using long names brings up too many responses as its searching VS for each word separately so you get the vague error.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMO. the problem with VS is with Auction Safes. Auction Safes are constantly changing and updating so this forces Search to constantly update. Even though you may not be searching for Auction Safe items, VS is still updating on them. With the number of Auction Safes now, VS updating every minute or so is not uncommon.

The vague response you get is due to a wording problem corresponding with VS. The less words you use in the name, the better. Using long names brings up too many responses as its searching VS for each word separately so you get the vague error.
It certainly feels like they implemented their own string compare that's actually O(2^n). Must be rocket science :beer:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
People have been complaining about this on the other forum for weeks, it's Atlantic that's the problem, there's just too many people and too much stuff. We already had this same issue with MYUO which stopped working for Atlantic and they just turned it off totally a couple of years ago and it never came back.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To be perfectly honest, over the years I've seen some real nasty feedback to our dev team. I don't know if people think they're being funny, or if their emotions are getting the better of them. Generally speaking, acting like a jerk to get what you want doesn't usually work out.

On the other hand the devs shouldn't be surprised cause that's the way the a lot of people act on the internet, right... If I were a dev and someone @'d me with a nasty comment, they'd simply be put on ignore. Don't let a couple jerks prevent you from socializing with the community that plays the game you work on. There are many people out here that appreciate what the development team does for us.
Copy/paste the last comment someone @'d a dev with, that was a comment nasty enough to warrant being ignored by a game developer.

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Here is my experience with the vendor search this morning (on Atlantic):

Was looking for a particular spellbook, so initial search was just using the keyword. Found what I was looking for for 5000gp about 30 pages in.

Not wanting to scroll through all the pages to find it again to get map, I tried adding price range to the initial search.

5000-5000 "too vague"
5000-5001 "too vague"
4900-5100 "too vague"
4500-5500 "too vague"

Finally worked when I made the minimum value 5000 and left the top value at default (175 million or whatever it is).

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...searches are taking too long and possibly using too many resources?
...there's just too many people and too much stuff?

we forget too often that we all "pay" monthly for this game, and also a lot, indeed too much for what we have!
Vendor search not working or slow? ridiculous!
10/15 players fighting together in the blackthorn dungeon and is there an impressive LAG? absurd!

...they have the same computers as 20 years ago?
What do our money use them for?

always the same questions, never no answer!
Instead of collecting Mesanna's items, trash them!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Instead of making changes that nobody wants maybe they should just fix all the really old bugs and make the game more accessible for new players.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Vendor search seems totally broken today. No matter what I search for, on multiple different shards, I always am getting the "too vague" result.

But Hey
To help with your frustrations and rage just log on TC and go punch some barrels.

They are too busy or too vague, doing things that we didnt ask for instead of fixing things that are really not working.
But maybe Soon*

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
let me say again:

...searches are taking too long and possibly using too many resources?
...there's just too many people and too much stuff?

we forget too often that we all "pay" monthly for this game, and also a lot, indeed too much for what we have!
Vendor search not working or slow? ridiculous!
10/15 players fighting together in the blackthorn dungeon and is there an impressive LAG? absurd!

...they have the same computers as 20 years ago?
what do our money use it for? maybe for some snack?

always the same questions, never no answer!
Instead of collecting Mesanna's items, trash them! ;)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Guys, Mesanna has no boss. Sure, there is a superstructure above her, but no one cares.
EA doesn't even know what UO is lol
BS is Mythic trying to make a living off of DAoC.
Mesanna has the game to herself, to do with as she sees fit.

Absolute power.
The only people she listens to are the rares festers, and the RMT'ers. No other way I can see to explain it

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't think EA remember UO exists, how many people had problems with Origin and customer support had never heard of UO, but maybe BS prefer it that way, less interference while they are making bad decisions.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Someone start a GoFundMe for UO. I've already offered to pay an extra 2$ a month if they can guarantee VS will be fixed and working. Such critical pieces of the game that need attention. I heard the fix is coming in pub 508

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was trying to find Sots yesterday and research was too vague with : ''Scroll of Transcendence'' , so I tried instead just ''transcendence'' and it worked I think when you add word like ''of'' or ''scroll'' too many items come up and it becomes too vague

HP_Zoro_HP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
old news... this works what like half the time, maybe better like 75%? Please focus on fixing this for next publish before introducing the punching bag at idocs, thank you.