• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vendor search needed

• Thread starter imported_Rocky_Balboa
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
R

Repowski

<blockquote><hr>

Well I get you saying its just a search feature.

But what good is searching if you cant get to it.
Are you saying there would be coordinates.

The problem is then people would want to recall to it directly, not much different then buying from it.

The problem with a search function is...

When the Fallen Warriors appeared...
I could have searched and bought all the pixie swatters for 50k or so.
No one really new they would work on them. I found out that day.

I bought 5 or 6 swatters. Sold them for yep 500k each. On vendors in LUNA.

If i had a search function I would have bought everyone. Is that fair? Yes. But is it good for the game. NO.

That is the problem I have with a search function.

And to answer your question. I was wrong in saying it would put vendors out of business. I should have said it would end the players experience of shopping vendors and building runes to out of the way vendor places. Because players like me would buy up all the pixie swatters using a legal game mechanic.

Now I would be open to this.

A search feature. That charges 250k a pop usuage. You put in the jewelry piece you want. Hit enter and 250k is deducted from your bank.

You get to find that hard to find item. The item appears on screen. If there are 10 items you get 10 lines. But there is no vendor attached to the items. You get one free click to get the coordinates. Not all 10 coordinates. That would cost you further.

Now I cant go and scarf up all the pixie swatters without paying.

Just an example of an idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your concerns, and while the actual $ figure isn't important here... charging for searching is not going to help the above scenario. It would actually make it worse. The rich would get richer, the poor would be left out in the cold. You see... in your pixie swatter situation - you personally could afford to do the search. You could then record all the coordinates, and go buy them up. A newer player who figures out that a pixie swatter is good wouldn't be able to find them for sale, short of today's methods of physically double clicking hundreds of vendors / backpacks across the server... and thus, the people who have money win.

The main point of this idea is simply to provide the ability for players to find the things they need in a short period of time. This is VERY important for new players, (and new subscriber retention) as there is quite a few more items in the game these days (think back to how many items were in the game in 1998, and how many there are now... TOUGH to be a new player these days)

I

imported_Hanna

<blockquote><hr>

When the Fallen Warriors appeared...
I could have searched and bought all the pixie swatters for 50k or so.
No one really new they would work on them. I found out that day.

I bought 5 or 6 swatters. Sold them for yep 500k each. On vendors in LUNA.

[/ QUOTE ]That's the reason luna is popular, because people would rather spend 100 times whats something is worth, then explorer the lands for vendors. People in this game are getting lazy. And yeah, luna tries to buy out smaller vendors to rig prices, right now they have a harder time doing that, a search would make that easier.

It was much nicer before luna where you had comunitiy vendors through out the lands. Luna made people lazy, distroyed the little vendor comunities, and the offshoot vendors. It took a lot of what was good about this game away.

I don't think a search would help it especially since most of the vendor comunities are already distroyed, and it would just make people lazier.

Burn Luna and never again let housing be build around a city. But that won't happen because people are making large sums of real money off of luna. And they would probably sue again if that happened. It won't stop until most of the regular players are gone and just the exploiters and "brokers" are left.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

Basically, 1 player will be able to search item X. Buy it all. Jack up the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude - you need to go to college or something. Take an econ 101 class.

Ask the Hunt Brothers how well trying to corner the silver market went.

If you buy it all up at a given price - and prices DO start to rise - you will entice more 'suppliers' into the market to push the prices back down. In addition, when you try to 'sell off' your hoarde -prices will fall.

Please tell me what sort of 'good' you plan to 'corner the market on'? LOL

Basic econ and market theory. No one person is big enough to control the markets.

The only place this works is where you have something that is in limited supply and highly desireable. Lets say something like 'oil' where people have to use it for daily life and you can't just 'manufacture' more. That is where you can hoard it and jack the price up (IE See OPEC that limits production of oil to keep prices high).

In something like UO - take powder of fort - as you try to 'corner the market' people will just do more bods to produce more as you try to buy it up.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree 100%. UO needs some sort of legal vendor search feature. And to reply to someone else (I forgot who said it) One that does show prices. Mainly because there are some vendors in luna that charge way too much for items because they know that outside the city of luna, you have a very low chance of find a vendor containing said item. By allowing price comparisons would help balance the economy a bit.

I for one use the 'nameless' sites when I am searching for something specific. But I also use them when stocking my luna vendor. The reason for this is I believe that most vendor operators in luna are charging people way too much. So I search for the item I want to sell, I take the lowest luna price, then I mark my item 30 to 50% lower than that price. I know I'm just one man, but I'm doing what I can to try and make these rich vendor owners in luna feel it in their purses. I hope it's working.