• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vendor search needed

• Thread starter imported_Rocky_Balboa
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Rocky_Balboa

For the love of all that is holy, can we get a vendor search feature that will allow me to find an item on a vendor anywhere on my shard. I am so tired of having to run around opening vendors and hoping that they will have what I am looking for.

I don't mind traveling to a vendor to purchase the item but this mindless opening pack after pack on vendor after vendor searching for a simple item is so mind numbing and boring.

G

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we got some sort of search for entire shards vendors.... people could input their shops.... make it all legal like.

G

I agree. the problem with the current illegal site (beside the obvious violation of the ToS) is that the site promotes the Luna vendors.

People who do not have vendors in Luna are currently faced with a double penalty now as more and more people use the illegal site for fast searches.

I

imported_Rocky_Balboa

demonbone
Yeah I know the site your talking about and I've used it but as you mentioned it only covers Luna and is not an alternative for an in game search feature. I actually enjoy traveling the world and seeing the scenery but going to luna and opening browsing vendors is not my idea of fun.

flutter

Yes!! I'm not asking for anything elaborate. I would be satisfied with an NPC that I go to and enter a search filter and I get back a list of the coords to the vendors on my shard that have that item. I don't even care about price, just give me the location of the vendor(s) ....

B

BadManiac

This is somthing that would make UO much easier to play and enjoy. And could potentially both improve life for none Luna and non big mall vendors, as well as make suit building so much easier.

G

The ability to do this exists. And what better way to stick it to the ones using the illegal programs than to shut their sites down by offering an official UO one.

I

imported_Rocky_Balboa

Yes there are all kinds of reasons why this should be done and I would really like to get a response from a DEV on why it hasn't been done already. I am thoroughly convinced that new players from other MMO's try this game and are completely flabbergasted by the ridiculous vendor mechanics.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

these people show no shame either , i've been seeing TON's of books advertising one of the search sites laying all over the place

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

A couple of things.

Yes, we need an official means to search vendors. "Conventional" promotions for vendors and malls would still exist (gates and runes and the like), because you'd only search for stuff you needed right then and there, and you would still want to browse just in case you find something you didn't know you needed.

I came to a stark realization of this need when I started a character on an unfamiliar shard. I floundered, until I found a Night's Kiss and then a good elemental slayer spear on a vendor. Now I am getting cash and training skills at the same time. If I could've done this straight off, my experience would've been A LOT more fun.

There are 2 Internet sites that do this now. At least one of them does NOT only have Luna vendors, but branches out considerably. My understanding is that the SITES are legal.....I.e., it isn't like going to a hack site, where just going there can result in your being banned if they find out about it somehow. However, mentioning those sites is not allowed, in-game or here, because EA is worried that both sites use scripted bots, using an illegal 3rd party program that has sadly been around for many years, to gather their data.

As someone else has pointed out, a really great way to strike out against this illegal scripting program would be to incorporate such a database, shard-wide, either on UO.com or as part of the UO client.

Just like how UO Assist eliminated a very old illegal 3rd party program that wreaked havoc in UO's early days.

Let me say again, for emphasis: Yes, we need an official means to search vendors.

Why? Because most people, shockingly enough, would rather play the game than browse vendors. (Browsing is of course still technically playing, but you all know what I mean.

Those players who DO like browsing, this feature would help you too. Think about it...You're browsing, and you see some gloves you didn't know you needed. But how will you know if the price is good and you should buy it? Either you browse EVEN MORE (and that isn't really browsing when you think about it), or you roll into UO.com and do a search....

Let me say again, for emphasis: Yes, we need an official means to search vendors. Definitely, 100%. Even hard-core shoppers and browsers should still be behind this.

-Galen's player

PS: PLEASE do not get the bright idea to mix this with a gold sink, and make it a fee for use....That'll only screw over newer players, who need this service badly, moreso than even vets do.

I

imported_Rocky_Balboa

Lord K

Yes not to mention the potential lag being generated by ghost cam scripts being run by the 3rd party sites. However the intention of my OP is not to throw stones at those sites because they have done an admirable job of filling in for what the game should be providing.

Galen

Can't say that I disagree with anything you said... Case in point, you are a vetran player and discovered how difficult it was just getting started on a new shard. Can you imagine if you were a totally new player and found out for the first time when you needed some potion kegs that you had to go to luna and browse through 100's of vendor back packs?

K

Kith Kanan

<blockquote><hr>

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we got some sort of search for entire shards vendors.... people could input their shops.... make it all legal like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Devs just need to as the daoc peopel how to swing it , daoc had a very nice vendor search thingy

G

<blockquote><hr>

For the love of all that is holy, can we get a vendor search feature that will allow me to find an item on a vendor anywhere on my shard. I am so tired of having to run around opening vendors and hoping that they will have what I am looking for.

I don't mind traveling to a vendor to purchase the item but this mindless opening pack after pack on vendor after vendor searching for a simple item is so mind numbing and boring.

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds like you are are talking about a central auction house like WoW, but I thought you guys think WoW sucks and the 10 million people that play it are stupid and brainwashed.

I

imported_Rocky_Balboa

Many MMO's have very nice search features but I'm not wanting to make UO another DAOC or even WOW. A vendor search can be but into UO while still keeping with the spirit of UO. In other words it needs to be search only . No auction houses and no global buying kiosks . Just give us a location for now; coords for 2D users and maybe a location/waypoint on a map for the 3d users. Showing price would be optional for me but I know some players would like to see price for comparison

G

what would be the point of seeing the item you want to purchase then it makes you go out of your way to get. That's backwards thinking.

I

imported_Rocky_Balboa

The point is ..... You can find the vendor locations quickly then its up to you to determine how far you want to travel to purchase that item. With the current system you have no idea at all what vendors have the items you need. Most people just go to Luna and spend hours browsing hoping to get lucky or they use one of the 3rd party sites, then go to Luna and spend 10 mins locating the correct vendor. If you dont have a luna vendor then your SOL ....

K

Kratos Aurion

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

or...

an ability to upload our vendors/contents to a uo search data base for a weekly charge based on the amount of wealth our vendor is approximately valued (based on the price of items). So it would be similar to a daily charge except once a week to maintain it on the UO search engine

G

My problem is trying to remember what I had stocked. A few times I've logged in to check a low-turnover newbie gear vendor, discovered a hole in the vendor's grid of goods and been left wondering "what in the world was I selling?"

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like you are are talking about a central auction house like WoW*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*up until now, you're the 1st to use the words "auction house"

WoW sucks and the 10 million people that play it are stupid and brainwashed*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*you said it, not me. It's a game for 12 year olds. Or a facsimile thereof- nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

Honestly, they have a point....I for one can't stand shopping in luna and avoid it at all costs.
- I mostly shop off sign posts.
- many, and I mean many, adverise what they don't have.
- and the worst of that is, in bag after bag after bag......they give the few decent ones in luna a bad rep, just for being stuck there.
-As for that illegal site, never used it....for it promotes the overpriced town of luna itself.

nuff said.......next.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so best is uo first break access for this there programs !!!!!!!!!!

secound poll all players not just u hall on maybe a vendor search and how implement think way now good if other 2 programs out picture

G

I'm ok with some sort of search function as long as no prices are listed . Then we will all be competing against each other and IMO some people charge WAAAY to little for valuable items.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

/Signed

It should also help with evening out market prices for items, as well.

I likes it.

I

imported_Farsight

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

/also signed

But mostly because I don't like promoting the illegal stuff by constantly using their site. I don't have enough play time to waste it by looking at random vendors in hopes that they have the very rare items I'm looking for.

I

<blockquote><hr>

Galen

Can't say that I disagree with anything you said... Case in point, you are a vetran player and discovered how difficult it was just getting started on a new shard. Can you imagine if you were a totally new player and found out for the first time when you needed some potion kegs that you had to go to luna and browse through 100's of vendor back packs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.....I would really despise that.

-Galen's player

G

rtlpfc

Vendor search is the worst idea.
Why?
Will allow wealth to run the market.

Basically, 1 player will be able to search item X. Buy it all. Jack up the price.

Part of the game is finding vendors, merchants, and out of the way shops.

Lets not dumb down the game anymore.

I can see it now. Search entire shard from house. Goods delivered to you and you put them in chest.

R

Repowski

<blockquote><hr>

rtlpfc

Why?

Basically, 1 player will be able to search item X. Buy it all. Jack up the price.

I can see it now. Search entire shard from house. Goods delivered to you and you put them in chest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever needed a specific piece of jewelry? Did you know exactly where to go, or did you spend hours of your life finding it?

I don't know about you, but I don't pay my subscription for this game in order to search vendors for hours on end to find the items I want. I pay to PLAY the game.

I challenge you, go find a ring with +15 anatomy, and a bracelet with +15 healing. Time yourself. How long did it take you? How many vendors did you have to go through?

And to those talking about 'exploring' to find vendors... you can't be serious. This is the whole reason why Luna is Luna. People don't explore for vendors like this anymore. They simply go to Luna, or they pickup runes from banks. Plain and simple. If you do not do one of these two things, you will not have very much traffic in your shop. At least with a search function, you might boost your sales a bit.

R

Repowski

AND...

To the point of spending time playing the game, I'll give you a real example.

Easter. Buddy and I are sitting at a bank doing nothing, and realize it would be fun for a few minutes if we chased a couple of vorpal bunnies around. Problem is, neither one of us had any thorns. In this situation, I have two options. I can go to Luna and hunt through every vendor and spend an hour to find the thorns... or I can do what I actually did. Go to the search website.

I searched, found the exact vendor and had the thorns in hand within 5 minutes. 5 minutes later, we were out actually playing the game... DOING something.

Same thing with the Moonglow event. Once I figured out what the blackrock was for, I hit the search website, bought up what I could afford and hit the rift. I wasn't spending endless hours looking for vendors, comparing prices, trying to figure market value for the blackrock. In one search, I knew who had it, who was the cheapest, and where they were located. I bought it, and was playing the game within minutes.

I

<blockquote><hr>

rtlpfc

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do that now (the buying up thing), it'll just take longer.

If someone is dumb enough to try it, you can get around it simply by PvMing, thus introducing new items into the game.

-Galen's player

R

Repowski

By the way, is this idea documented in the ideas forum? I think we need to get this really documented out

I

imported_Rocky_Balboa

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You might have someone try this but it would be a foolish effort. The reason? Because there is nothing in this game that any player (with enough time and effort) cant go out an get for themselves. "If someone tried to buy up all of item X and jack up the price", then players will just decide its not worth paying that high price, I'll just go out and farm it for myself.

I

imported_Rocky_Balboa

<blockquote><hr>

By the way, is this idea documented in the ideas forum? I think we need to get this really documented out

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally feel that anyone interested in having a vendor search feature in game should go here and post feedback. Jeremy has mentioned that she reads the feedback religiously. If you want to write up some details and post in the ideas den then that would be great. The details at this point aren't as important as getting EA/Mythic to admit that this feature needs to be added.

I

imported_ParadoxUO

<blockquote><hr>

Just like how UO Assist eliminated a very old illegal 3rd party program that wreaked havoc in UO's early days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Program still running and improved... providing the upper hand to many of the wolfish pvpers.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

rtlpfc

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever needed a specific piece of jewelry? Did you know exactly where to go, or did you spend hours of your life finding it?

I don't know about you, but I don't pay my subscription for this game in order to search vendors for hours on end to find the items I want. I pay to PLAY the game.

I challenge you, go find a ring with +15 anatomy, and a bracelet with +15 healing. Time yourself. How long did it take you? How many vendors did you have to go through?

And to those talking about 'exploring' to find vendors... you can't be serious. This is the whole reason why Luna is Luna. People don't explore for vendors like this anymore. They simply go to Luna, or they pickup runes from banks. Plain and simple. If you do not do one of these two things, you will not have very much traffic in your shop. At least with a search function, you might boost your sales a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, part of the game is not getting everything you want in 30 seconds.
By earning, learning, or aligning... you play the game to get your stuff.

Try this spam what you need at the bank for a good price. And youll get most of what you need in 30 minutes.

A single search wide vendor system for a shard would destroy the merchant part of the game. It would destry player vendor shops. It would further weaken player interaction.

Its a bad ideas all around.

I hope it never changes.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You might have someone try this but it would be a foolish effort. The reason? Because there is nothing in this game that any player (with enough time and effort) cant go out an get for themselves. "If someone tried to buy up all of item X and jack up the price", then players will just decide its not worth paying that high price, I'll just go out and farm it for myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that player is buying all the wrong things then.

If that search system was in place.

Prior to runic changes, everything would be sucked dry. A month earlier you could get bronze runics 50k or less. Once the change occured they sold 200k to 400k. Same with horned sewing kits.

Same with blackrock
Same with ophidian orders
Same green thorns years ago
Same with any new item that comes out.

G

<blockquote><hr>

AND...

To the point of spending time playing the game, I'll give you a real example.

Easter. Buddy and I are sitting at a bank doing nothing, and realize it would be fun for a few minutes if we chased a couple of vorpal bunnies around. Problem is, neither one of us had any thorns. In this situation, I have two options. I can go to Luna and hunt through every vendor and spend an hour to find the thorns... or I can do what I actually did. Go to the search website.

I searched, found the exact vendor and had the thorns in hand within 5 minutes. 5 minutes later, we were out actually playing the game... DOING something.

Same thing with the Moonglow event. Once I figured out what the blackrock was for, I hit the search website, bought up what I could afford and hit the rift. I wasn't spending endless hours looking for vendors, comparing prices, trying to figure market value for the blackrock. In one search, I knew who had it, who was the cheapest, and where they were located. I bought it, and was playing the game within minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can say how the game is suppose to be played. Part of it is finding items.

Its not really that hard to develop a vendor rune book.

But I cant argue if your idea of playing is getting the stuff you want immediately and going and using it.

However, that is more you, and not the game design.

Im not for changing and harming the game to suit your play style. (JMO)

I

imported_ParadoxUO

I like the system of this guild I joined... we give and get...

powerscrolls.
stat scrolls.
artefacts, both lesser and unique.
robes of corruption, shields, swords and event related items.
ingredients.
recipes.
pets.

Very weird way of playing UO.

R

Repowski

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

rtlpfc

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this spam what you need at the bank for a good price. And youll get most of what you need in 30 minutes.

A single search wide vendor system for a shard would destroy the merchant part of the game. It would destry player vendor shops. It would further weaken player interaction.

I hope it never changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're going to have to agree to disagree... Everything I consider for this game is based around community. It is the reason I play the game. However, I have NEVER had a relationship with a player vendor. I have been in all sorts of guilds, organized player events... etc... but there is no community I have been involved with as it relates to buying from NPC vendors.

By your statement, we should eliminate NPC vendors all together. That would indeed make us more reliant on speaking with other folks.

As it stands right now, NPC vendors being spread out across the shard are just a piece that devours time. Plain and simple. Again, this is why Luna is so darned popular. People don't have to waste time wandering about looking for things. They know where the concentration of vendors is, and they go there. Implementing a search feature would begin to allow the entire shard to like one big Luna.... allowing folks in far reaches of the map to setup a vendor, and know that if they have good items at good prices, they will have customers.

Power to the people.

R

Repowski

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

rtlpfc

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it never changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how this system would "destroy" player vendor shops. Could you explain in more detail the effect that you're predicting? What part of player vendor shops would be affected here in a negative way, specifically? I can only see more business as a result of this... because there HAS to be quite a few vendors out there in lala land with great product which nobody knows about...

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

rtlpfc

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it never changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're going to have to agree to disagree... Everything I consider for this game is based around community. It is the reason I play the game. However, I have NEVER had a relationship with a player vendor. I have been in all sorts of guilds, organized player events... etc... but there is no community I have been involved with as it relates to buying from NPC vendors.

By your statement, we should eliminate NPC vendors all together. That would indeed make us more reliant on speaking with other folks.

As it stands right now, NPC vendors being spread out across the shard are just a piece that devours time. Plain and simple. Again, this is why Luna is so darned popular. People don't have to waste time wandering about looking for things. They know where the concentration of vendors is, and they go there. Implementing a search feature would begin to allow the entire shard to like one big Luna.... allowing folks in far reaches of the map to setup a vendor, and know that if they have good items at good prices, they will have customers.

Power to the people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with different opinions. Just add Im not saying end player vendors.

Ideas for prices can be found at LUNA. You can find the insane high price and the lower range prices. As bad as people say LUNA is they market compete against each other.

G

One of the problems in WoW and FFXI (I imagine if EQ has an auction house the same would apply) where they have auction houses is you have speculators who can buy up an entire commodity market, raise the price by x% and resell. It's a pretty easy concept, specially since gold is so totally unimportant to the truely rich people.
Case and point. barbed runic kits, 2.2m. You have the wealth to buy up every barbed runic kit for sale on the server and resell them at 3m. People have the gold to do it and they will do it.
Of course, you can get burned on the speculation... you might buy up something and not be able to resell it but chances are you wont.

*shrug*

I

imported_Rocky_Balboa

Let me say again that we are talking about a vendor search feature. I would not be in favor of an auction house or some kind of global vendor that lets you buy whatever you want from wherever you want. So under the system that was proposed in the original post, "buying up" all of a certain resource would be time consuming and difficult. I'm not saying that someone wouldn't try it but those types of things rarely succeed and those that do succeed are short lived.

R

Repowski

<blockquote><hr>

Let me say again that we are talking about a vendor search feature. I would not be in favor of an auction house or some kind of global vendor that lets you buy whatever you want from wherever you want. So under the system that was proposed in the original post, "buying up" all of a certain resource would be time consuming and difficult. I'm not saying that someone wouldn't try it but those types of things rarely succeed and those that do succeed are short lived.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. A global "buy from one place" does not make sense, and would be detrimental to the game.

What is in place on the unnamed website is a very good start.

Search for the item, and you get:

A list of items, how much they are and where to find them. Clicking on a result for more info yields coordinates, a map, and a full list of products on that vendor along with their current price.

The only other thing I'd like to add to this is geo targeting. That is to say I'd like to be able to look within a specified area (say, the area north of minoc) for my items so I know that what I find will be nearby.

I

imported_Rocky_Balboa

<blockquote><hr>

I know this would take a fair amount of engineering time, but EA this is worth it. PLEASE

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I don't think this would take as much effort as you might think. Of course the devil is in the details and I don't want to diminish the effort but its basically a DB search routine to extract the vendor inventories (pretty straight forward). The greatest effort would be coding the interface for two clients (KR and legacy).

Personally if I were EA/Mythic I would add this feature to KR only and require 2D players to use the KR client if they want to use the vendor search feature. I know I'll get flamed for that last comment so I've already got my 70% fire resist suit ready and waiting ....

I

imported_Rocky_Balboa

<blockquote><hr>

I know this would take a fair amount of engineering time, but EA this is worth it. PLEASE

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I don't think this would take as much effort as you might think. Of course the devil is in the details and I don't want to diminish the effort but its basically a DB search routine to extract the vendor inventories (pretty straight forward). The greatest effort would be coding the interface for two clients (KR and legacy).

Personally if I were EA/Mythic I would add this feature to KR only and require 2D players to use the KR client if they want to use the vendor search feature. I know I'll get flamed for that last comment so I've already got my 70% fire resist suit ready and waiting ....

R

Repowski

This makes sense... but no feature set on Earth is going to make me deal with the graphical experience that is KR.

No way, no how.

Now, if they had a UI only version... and I could keep my 2d graphics... I would try it out.

G

Well I get you saying its just a search feature.

But what good is searching if you cant get to it.
Are you saying there would be coordinates.

The problem is then people would want to recall to it directly, not much different then buying from it.

The problem with a search function is...

When the Fallen Warriors appeared...
I could have searched and bought all the pixie swatters for 50k or so.
No one really new they would work on them. I found out that day.

I bought 5 or 6 swatters. Sold them for yep 500k each. On vendors in LUNA.

If i had a search function I would have bought everyone. Is that fair? Yes. But is it good for the game. NO.

That is the problem I have with a search function.

And to answer your question. I was wrong in saying it would put vendors out of business. I should have said it would end the players experience of shopping vendors and building runes to out of the way vendor places. Because players like me would buy up all the pixie swatters using a legal game mechanic.

Now I would be open to this.

A search feature. That charges 250k a pop usuage. You put in the jewelry piece you want. Hit enter and 250k is deducted from your bank.

You get to find that hard to find item. The item appears on screen. If there are 10 items you get 10 lines. But there is no vendor attached to the items. You get one free click to get the coordinates. Not all 10 coordinates. That would cost you further.

Now I cant go and scarf up all the pixie swatters without paying.

Just an example of an idea.

I

imported_Rocky_Balboa

<blockquote><hr>

Well I get you saying its just a search feature. But what good is searching if you cant get to it. Are you saying there would be coordinates. The problem is then people would want to recall to it directly, not much different then buying from it

[/ QUOTE ]

Too many people are opposed to recalling so I purposely didn't include that in the OP and for me its a non-issue. I proposed giving coordinates in 2d client and a map waypoint in KR (devs you will need to improve on the KR maps to make this work)
. Yes it might take some travel time to get the item I need but at least i know I'll get it when I get there. To be honest any improvement with the existing shopping experience would be a blessing.

<blockquote><hr>

When the Fallen Warriors appeared...I could have searched and bought all the pixie swatters for 50k or so. No one really new they would work on them. I found out that day. I bought 5 or 6 swatters. Sold them for yep 500k each. On vendors in LUNA. If I had a search function I would have bought everyone. Is that fair? Yes. But is it good for the game. NO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could do this but using only coordinates or a map waypoint might take you a while and if you really started to gouge players then players would just go farm pixie swatters in the wild. In addition your assuming that all the pixie swatters shard wide would be for sale, how may pixie swatters are on vendors as opposed to being stored in banks or houses?

I also think that the devs need to plan events so that one single item isn't required to participate in the event. Blackrock is a good example here however there was enough warning before hand that so players were holding it and not selling it in great quanities.

G

As long as it clearly prevents cornering the market. It could work.