• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vending machine artifacts... What next?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With hi5 here who is a pretty popular pvp guild on prodo a lot of people enjoy playing vs us and might come back to siege to pvp.. Especially the ones who have already finished chars, and now can help their new guild members gear up.
that is what we are anticipating.

I'm thinking we can get maybe 4 or 5 pvp guilds the size of hi5 here and this economy would just take off
Hey, I like your optimism, but I don't see it happening, been here too long, seen too many sure fire population boosters fizze in months or less. I'd be happy to eat my crow. :p

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was being sarcastic about wanting recall... *shakes head*
I was being honest, if someone can gate to a ship anywhere, with 0 magery, what exactly is recall/sj going to hurt ? I'm fairly certain it was made that way so a pks victim cant escape easily. Well we're sure defending our citizens by protecting them from nasty pks. So put recall/sj back in. We still won't be able to use it to go in and out of dungeons..what's the harm ?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahhh I get it now break the system more because someone does not have imbuing.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was being honest, if someone can gate to a ship anywhere, with 0 magery, what exactly is recall/sj going to hurt ? I'm fairly certain it was made that way so a pks victim cant escape easily. Well we're sure defending our citizens by protecting them from nasty pks. So put recall/sj back in. We still won't be able to use it to go in and out of dungeons..what's the harm ?
If it can already be used to escape to a ship, whats the benefit of adding recall?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If it can already be used to escape to a ship, whats the benefit of adding recall?
I've typed and backspaced over my reply several times. It's pointless and a losing argument, so nvm.

Aroz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
They're core pieces to build your suit around and they're not even stupid overpowered. It's like 2 core pieces to build stuff around and you can do vvv easily and hope for fights.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They're core pieces to build your suit around and they're not even stupid overpowered. It's like 2 core pieces to build stuff around and you can do vvv easily and hope for fights.
But they are to some degree overpowered?

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Answer this for me. Ya'll keep harping on using looted gear and crafted gear. I've been back for 3 weeks now and can't find **** to buy. Whether it's actual farming gear or decorative. I've posted close to 10 threads trying to buy items with little or no response. No one is willing to sell the items I'm looking for. So how in the hell are new players, with a single account, supposed to gear up in a reasonable amount of time? VvV items will bridge that gap and inspire people to come to a Siege. That is a major incentive for those that desire full loot pvp.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mage or warrior pieces?
It's been a comdo of many things. Stam/mana pieces, jewels with hci and dci with other assorted stats, heritage tokens, quiver of infinities, hooded robes, statues from the heritage tokens. High luck items.

Now that list is combined with asking in game and posting on the forum, but I've received very little response to some of the specific items I need. People sell uo store bought items all the time, but will not part with their mid-high end gear.

Coleostro

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello all, I have been reading this argument on a few different threads and do believe many have valid points. I am still new to Siege, only have been here for about a month, but all I can say is what I have experienced. I started small killing turkeys and chopping wood and making arrows which Victim was so nice to purchase. One of the first things I did when I got about 100k built up was create a guild, join VvV, and run right to Brit to get my VvV items. I will be honest I did not look into all the details of the shard, what is here, what is not. So I was surprised when they were not an option to get with my fresh new 2k points. So I went back to farming those vicious turkeys and whacking away at the trees. I am lucky to have three accounts so I created a mage, a dexxer, and a crafter. With every bit of gold I made I purchased more items to train and increase skills. Fought harder monsters, got better loot. In the end I will say I am personally fairly pleased that the VvV items were not available. Would it have made it easier? Heck yes. But in the end I find it all part of the Siege experience. As for the pvp I have fought HI5 on a few shards and know that the quality of pvpers they have will not depend on VvV items. I personally am not a fan of the argument that it will make it easier for new players as part of the reason I came here is I was bored with the ease of items and skills on other shards. And as far as the population of Siege I would have to say it is definitely growing if HI5 has brought 12 people here in such a short time. No matter what your motives for coming it is a population boost. As another has said I do believe more PvPers will come with them here. In the past month I and 3 others have started fresh, so even if all do not stay it is still an increase. When you talk about changing the VvV point system I do believe you are asking a tall task for the Dev team. While it never hurts to come up with ideas I think we all know the difficulty of even making small changes such as removing and adding the items themselves. I was not here for the last debate or focus group to have them removed so I cannot comment on the impact the items did or did not have. I do believe that it would increase VvV players but only my question would be for how long? I myself have been keeping every 0/3 or 1/3 jewel I find in preparation of getting killed and looted. Will VvV members not do the same? Farm points and stock items? I know some have said making changes to point system but I would again caution over big changes to a game mechanic. As far as making them usable by everyone I think you then take away part of the aspect of joining VvV and being attackable literally anywhere and have no real incentive to participate in VvV town battles. If I know HI5 they will have no problem gaining skills, gear, and kills. While many may not like their presence I welcome it. I have been playing for a little over a month and have yet to see a PK. I prefer to stick to the corner of the hunting world where most people do not venture, I do not stay long and I drop my gold and items often. I think the fear and anticipation of seeing a PK run on your screen is a key component Siege. While I do not agree with their approach I respect their ability and decision to play how they wish. My only caution is do not abuse good people too much or you will find yourself in a crafter rich environment with no one to kill. With all this said I look forward to continued debate over the issue in hopes a reasonable conclusion can be met. I also look forward to the rush of HI5 running me down. While I am not prepared yet to sustain repetitive PvP I welcome the challenge of a fight. I hope to soon be prepared to once again hit the PvP field.

If none of this make sense or is rambling I am sorry, i got off work early and had a few drinks. :)

Coleostro

ICQ- 642287125

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
But they are to some degree overpowered?
No, they are not over powered. I am still able to create suits with the same mods as the artifacts 45 HCI 45DCI 20+ HPI 40 LMC you name it, but at great costs. I have to wear and use 2 heritage tokens a tailsman, a corguls sash, a few really good legendary pieces, and a bunch of imbued leather with the mods I need. If I die and lose my gear im out at least 2 mill just on the stuff that gets me my dci.

Ive been playing here for a few years. How is a new person that comes here to pvp suppose to be able to get those items they need, and to be able to replace them if they die a lot? Im an average pvper at best and even I couldnt afford to die and replace items even if I only died twice a week. I wouldnt be pvping very long.

The artifacts just create a way to replace suits easier nothing more nothing less. A solid base so guys coming back like @Freelsy doesnt have to search for heritage tokens, crimmys and sashes that people wont even sell.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hello all, I have been reading this argument on a few different threads and do believe many have valid points. I am still new to Siege, only have been here for about a month, but all I can say is what I have experienced. I started small killing turkeys and chopping wood and making arrows which Victim was so nice to purchase. One of the first things I did when I got about 100k built up was create a guild, join VvV, and run right to Brit to get my VvV items. I will be honest I did not look into all the details of the shard, what is here, what is not. So I was surprised when they were not an option to get with my fresh new 2k points. So I went back to farming those vicious turkeys and whacking away at the trees. I am lucky to have three accounts so I created a mage, a dexxer, and a crafter. With every bit of gold I made I purchased more items to train and increase skills. Fought harder monsters, got better loot. In the end I will say I am personally fairly pleased that the VvV items were not available. Would it have made it easier? Heck yes. But in the end I find it all part of the Siege experience. As for the pvp I have fought HI5 on a few shards and know that the quality of pvpers they have will not depend on VvV items. I personally am not a fan of the argument that it will make it easier for new players as part of the reason I came here is I was bored with the ease of items and skills on other shards. And as far as the population of Siege I would have to say it is definitely growing if HI5 has brought 12 people here in such a short time. No matter what your motives for coming it is a population boost. As another has said I do believe more PvPers will come with them here. In the past month I and 3 others have started fresh, so even if all do not stay it is still an increase. When you talk about changing the VvV point system I do believe you are asking a tall task for the Dev team. While it never hurts to come up with ideas I think we all know the difficulty of even making small changes such as removing and adding the items themselves. I was not here for the last debate or focus group to have them removed so I cannot comment on the impact the items did or did not have. I do believe that it would increase VvV players but only my question would be for how long? I myself have been keeping every 0/3 or 1/3 jewel I find in preparation of getting killed and looted. Will VvV members not do the same? Farm points and stock items? I know some have said making changes to point system but I would again caution over big changes to a game mechanic. As far as making them usable by everyone I think you then take away part of the aspect of joining VvV and being attackable literally anywhere and have no real incentive to participate in VvV town battles. If I know HI5 they will have no problem gaining skills, gear, and kills. While many may not like their presence I welcome it. I have been playing for a little over a month and have yet to see a PK. I prefer to stick to the corner of the hunting world where most people do not venture, I do not stay long and I drop my gold and items often. I think the fear and anticipation of seeing a PK run on your screen is a key component Siege. While I do not agree with their approach I respect their ability and decision to play how they wish. My only caution is do not abuse good people too much or you will find yourself in a crafter rich environment with no one to kill. With all this said I look forward to continued debate over the issue in hopes a reasonable conclusion can be met. I also look forward to the rush of HI5 running me down. While I am not prepared yet to sustain repetitive PvP I welcome the challenge of a fight. I hope to soon be prepared to once again hit the PvP field.

If none of this make sense or is rambling I am sorry, i got off work early and had a few drinks. :)

Coleostro

ICQ- 642287125

Great Post, I lookforward to playing vs you, However just like you said you been here for about a month with 3 accounts busting your ass, and you are still not ready to sustain pvp. This is a problem

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Novel idea adapt to Siege instead adapting to you :)
That old ideology is only going to hinder this shards progression. Go play ** ******* if you want that old school feel. I want competitive pvp with a free loot system. VvV artifacts are a small step in the right direction. The Siege spirit was never about extreme item limitation and isolation.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That old ideology is only going to hinder this shards progression. Go play ** ******* if you want that old school feel. I want competitive pvp with a free loot system. VvV artifacts are a small step in the right direction. The Siege spirit was never about extreme item limitation and isolation.
I could say the same to you go play any number of free shards that offer exactly what you are whining about wanting here.

ysolt

Seasoned Veteran
I could say the same to you go play any number of free shards that offer exactly what you are whining about wanting here.
Except his free shard limit's him from doing what he want's,but your free shard doesn't,totally backwards or what?

Coleostro

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great Post, I lookforward to playing vs you, However just like you said you been here for about a month with 3 accounts busting your ass, and you are still not ready to sustain pvp. This is a problem
I too look forward to playing with all of Siege. But i do think the argument here is one of opinion. Some may think that being a Siege player is a earned with hard work and time invested. Others believe that everyone should be given an opportunity and the time it currently takes to become prepared is too long and drives players away. While both sides are true i honestly blame the "modern" UO for the lack of new players and the failure of retaining their veteran players. I started in late 97 early 98, a month in i was lucky to still have 1k to my name. But after nearly 20 years we have adapted to include all players and all play styles. While some enjoy the difficult task of establishing yourself, some simply want to have fun and play. To deny one is to the lose the other. The key is to find a balance to please both which we as a gaming community have not done since our boom in 2000-2004. We have tried multiple times to find a balance, we created trammel to assist those who did not like the danger of being killed. We created and GGS to ensure you would gain no matter how much time you had to play the game. We created item insurance for those who spent so much time getting items they did not want to lose. We as players created the environment we currently play in. We have seen that why we make only small changes we can make changes. I just ask that we consider the changes that we seek will benefit the long term and not one individuals considerations. What i have seen is a lot of "It will help me and my friends" and some "it will make it harder for me and others". So again we are faced with do we make it easy and increase numbers or make it harder and have more committed players? It is a question this game has been dealing with for a more than a few years now and i for one do not have a sound answer. I do believe that discussions such as this do help but only if we attempt to come up with ideas and solutions. Both of which i have not done so i will stop rambling on.

**Edited to say late 97 and early 98 - Sorry, have been drinking**

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except his free shard limit's him from doing what he want's,but your free shard doesn't,totally backwards or what?
Since I don't have or play any free shards, no clue what you are talking about there.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too look forward to playing with all of Siege. But i do think the argument here is one of opinion. Some may think that being a Siege player is a earned with hard work and time invested. Others believe that everyone should be given an opportunity and the time it currently takes to become prepared is too long and drives players away. While both sides are true i honestly blame the "modern" UO for the lack of new players and the failure of retaining their veteran players. I started in early 97 late 98, a month in i was lucky to still have 1k to my name. But after nearly 20 years we have adapted to include all players and all play styles. While some enjoy the difficult task of establishing yourself, some simply want to have fun and play. To deny one is to the lose the other. The key is to find a balance to please both which we as a gaming community have not done since our boom in 2000-2004. We have tried multiple times to find a balance, we created trammel to assist those who did not like the danger of being killed. We created and GGS to ensure you would gain no matter how much time you had to play the game. We created item insurance for those who spent so much time getting items they did not want to lose. We as players created the environment we currently play in. We have seen that why we make only small changes we can make changes. I just ask that we consider the changes that we seek will benefit the long term and not one individuals considerations. What i have seen is a lot of "It will help me and my friends" and some "it will make it harder for me and others". So again we are faced with do we make it easy and increase numbers or make it harder and have more committed players? It is a question this game has been dealing with for a more than a few years now and i for one do not have a sound answer. I do believe that discussions sucks as this do help but only if we attempt to come up with ideas and solutions. Both of which i have not done so i will stop rambling on.
True to a point, Siege is one option and Prodo is the other option. The easy solution is simply to remove insurance in fel prodo and everyone gets what they want. Or take one server and make it a free for all server with all items, no insurance, basically anything goes. I would be willing to bet it would be a totally dead shard but hey give em everything they want in one easy vending machine shard.

ysolt

Seasoned Veteran
True to a point, Siege is one option and Prodo is the other option. The easy solution is simply to remove insurance in fel prodo and everyone gets what they want. Or take one server and make it a free for all server with all items, no insurance, basically anything goes. I would be willing to bet it would be a totally dead shard but hey give em everything they want in one easy vending machine shard.
so you are trying to propose a solution,to prodo shard's just like how prodo shard's player's are trying to propose a soloution to seige. can we say vicious circle?

ysolt

Seasoned Veteran
Except prodo shard player's dont have a option of opting out and playing a free shard in an era of what they like to play in exept for the era which you like to play in.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so you are trying to propose a solution,to prodo shard's just like how prodo shard's player's are trying to propose a soloution to seige. can we say vicious circle?
Big difference is I am not on prodo crying about the prodo system ;)

ysolt

Seasoned Veteran

For a person who has 10 account's,like yourself,how is it different from playing prodo shard's?.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except prodo shard player's dont have a option of opting out and playing a free shard in an era of what they like to play in exept for the era which you like to play in.
That is absolute BS and you know it, and if you don't know it then you are very naive.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a person who has 10 account's,like yourself,how is it different from playing prodo shard's?.
Errr because I only only have 10 toons on Siege and 210 toons across Legends, GL and ATL :)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

ysolt

Seasoned Veteran
If i had ten toon's on seige,i promise you i'd be king of the hill and call seige my own shard also.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
six toon's and that tell's you what? that you are more well off than the average player that just want's to play...... you guess it! for the sake of playing and not act like im king of the hilll cause i can afford more toon's?
also, reading anything into my post is odd, you asked i answered. then you wanted to extrapolate some unknown meaning into it.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Did you have any further questions?

ysolt

Seasoned Veteran
I want gate for any kind of char removed it's op'd warrior's cant travel,no one can,I want, telepad's remov
your words, not mine. all i did was answer a question.

Ill be the one who cure's all the problem on seige!, make it so it's like before AOS!,BUT WAIT, we are in a new era! now what!?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I want gate for any kind of char removed it's op'd warrior's cant travel,no one can,I want, telepad's remov

Ill be the one who cure's all the problem on seige!, make it so it's like before AOS!,BUT WAIT, we are in a new era! now what!?
weird post, care to let us in on the meaning. i didn't say anything at all except "6"