• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Useful Tips and Tricks

D

debslee

I thought that seeing as most of us are new to SL, that it might be good to start posting some useful tips and tricks that we could share to make our gaming experience more pleasurable.....

Here is mine....I found this shortcuts "cheat sheet" which I thought was pretty kewl.... Hope you find it useful too! (ahem endorsed by Tori Linden himself!) :thumbsup:

Click me!

Thanks and acknowledgments must go to Kippie Friedkin - check out her blog here...

F

Flippers

I wish Torley would show us how they make those shadows appear under objects. Windlight sets the ambience but there's no shadows. But his and others' screenshots have them.

K

Katheryne

I wish Torley would show us how they make those shadows appear under objects. Windlight sets the ambience but there's no shadows. But his and others' screenshots have them.
Have you checked your graphics settings under Preferences?

K

Katheryne

See if this works:

Make sure both basic and atmospheric shaders are enabled, and that Lighting Detail is set to "Nearby Local Lights". To do this, you'll need to set "Quality and Performance" to "Custom".

D

debslee

I have just seen this video tutorial about Torley Lindens creative island called "Here" - I think this place every SL Avi should visit - looks great and also you can visit him there during "office hours" - it reminds me of "Community Pub" or "Town Hall" in TSO. :danceb:

Here is the Link:

You want to click me, you know you do!

F

Flippers

Eh his office hours are while I'm at work. Most of them are.

I've been to here. Nice chicks.

The editable land pen is great. I still suck at flattening land. I made a tall volcano in the pen, then tried to give it a flat top. Couldnt.

I checked and my graphics are all set that way, but nothing casts a shadow on the ground.

I have just seen this video tutorial about Torley Lindens creative island called "Here" - I think this place every SL Avi should visit - looks great and also you can visit him there during "office hours" - it reminds me of "Community Pub" or "Town Hall" in TSO. :danceb:

Here is the Link:

You want to click me, you know you do!

P

Polly

Organise your inventory by having several inventory windows open at once - you can do this by opening your inventory, clicking on File and New Window. You can then drag items from one window into the appropriate folder in the second window.

Polly

K

Katheryne

I had been wondering how to open a second inventory window - especially since I always seem to lose things in random folders that spontaneously pop up when I'm trying to move things! My inventory is an organizational nightmare!

P

Polly

Many stores have "subscribomatics" (not sure I got that right) which allows you to join a group without using one of your 25 slots for groups.

You get notices of new content, advanced notice of events, invites to competitions and often some lovely gifts and you don't get group chat spam.

Its usually a sign near the front of the store that you simply touch to subscribe, you can sometimes touch it again to get history and past gifts.

So the useful tip is to always touch a subscribomatic thingymajig when you see one :)

Polly

NikiKing

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish more stores did that, I get some really cool stuff from the ones I have found.

I keep running into people who dont know that they can clear the cache from within the game so I may as well mention it here.

Go to edit, preferences, network, click clear cashe and the next time you resart the game it will do it automatically. You can also clear your web cache on the web tab. If you intended to clear it and didnt you can access the preferences from the login screan with ctrl P.

This is also helpful when your having trouble landing at a certain place you can go to the general tab and change your landing option before you try again to log back in. This saved me one day when the sim I was on last was having issues.