• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Useful Info] - What monsters to fight to gain in Magery / Combat skill

A

Ah Beng

Updated 04 Feb 08 :
Many players do not know this, but fighting monsters with a mage weapon (eg. Staff or Pyros or Staff of Magi or Swords of Prosperity... better yet, use a fast, missile weapon like a mage weapon repeating crossbow... sure bolts/arrows cost $$$, but you get hurt and die less while training) is also a wonderful method of gaining magery skill. Fight the following monsters wielding a magery weapon, (choose your monsters) according to your magery skill. I Legendaried several of my mages using this method. (when almost everyone else used the terrible scripting/macroing the casting of spells using LRC armour method).

----------------------------------------------------------------

On UO Warrior (Stratics) forum, "Seas" posted (with credit to "Vidala") the following useful data for training combat skills (eg. wrestling, swords, archery, macing, fencing).

<blockquote><hr>

i copied the info from vidala's post and added a bunch of creatures, as well as what to fight from 100 to 120(i'm not too sure which are best to gain though)
0-30 (skill can be bought up to 28-32 if you find the right npc)
Birds, mongbats, cats, boars, pigs, dogs, cows, goats, sheeps, rabbits, chickens, snakes, slimes
Any forest almost anywhere, near minoc/yew moongate, outside delucia.

30-45
Hinds, llamas, horses, great harts, ridgebacks, (tamed/released) bulls, eagles, gorillas, mountain goats, timber wolves, giant rats
Moonglow (right outside of town on the South and Eastern sides). Delucia has lots of great harts and bulls north and east of town. Around minoc moongate there's a few great harts and bulls as well. If you find you're out of targets, bulls can be good for gaining, but you'll probably make a lot of tamers mad. Ridgebacks can be found in ilshenar's central area, the easiest way is the compassion gate, then south and through the cavey entrance and up. There's usually a lot of tamers busy with them though.

45-70
Skeletons, liches
Any graveyard, but I like Yew since it spawns *only* skeletons. Just beware of any bog things or plague beasts if you fight in Trammel. Yew crypts in Trammel is also good. You should only fight liches of course if you're just training another combat skill(and got high resist), but i found i gained pretty good on them at this level.

70-80
Lizardmen
You can go to a swamp, like the one beneath Compassion, the Trinsic swamps, or the Destard swamps, but you can also go to Lvl. 1 Despise (I prefer there). No need to worry about jukas, ratmen, plague beasts, and bog things. Also the cold blood title spawn(when it's at it's lowest level) in ilshenar/felucca/lost lands has tons of lizardmen.

80-85
Ratmen
For this, I went to the Destard swamps on the North-West side, lured a few ratmen away and fought them 1 by 1. Some other monsters followed, so I blasted those guys first. North of sacrifice is a medium size rat fort, you'll probably have to drag a few away at a time there. You can also go into the cave where the spawn is smaller.

Orcs
The orc dungeon, lure a few of them away and attack them. Spawning orc camps around delucia or the orc fort near cove also work good.

85-90
Harpys
Covetous Lvl. 1 or lvl 2, just have to watch out for the occasional stone harpy, lvl2 doesn't have any stone harpys though. In ilshenar there's also a harpy nest north/east of the spirituality gate, be sure not to have negative karma or you'll be swarmed by pixies!

90-GM
Harpys, stone harpys
As said above. Stone harpys can be found in the same place, they've got slightly higher combat skills but hit much harder, so they might not be a good choice.

Blade spirits
They always have 90 wrestle, no idea if it's better than the others, and the gain with fighting these might have been "nerfed".

NPC warriors
Either hire one or fight them in the jhelom fighting pit.

Ogre lords
Despise lvl3, some rune libraries have specific rune to this place. Best for archers though since they hit so hard.

Earth elementals
Shame Lvl. 1, or if it's camped there you can go to Lvl. 3 (and possibly Lvl. 2, I know there's an earthy spawn in Lvl. 2 now in Felucca so I'd assume it's in Trammel too). There's also some places in Ilshenar, in the desert outside the gargoyle city, around the rocky place north of gargoyle city(get there by honor shrine, walk up and into the cave entrance), the rocky place south of the gargoyle city(it no longer has ore elementals) and in the ratman cave which i mentioned above(3 tiny spawn spots with only 2 earthys each)

Bone and skeleton knights
City of the Dead, or if you can get a few friends you can head over to Deceit Lvl. 2, a.k.a. the BK room

GM-120
Atlantean Angel [2012] aka Ah Beng's note :
From GM to 120, I train on Succubus (good for Honor and Sacrifice virtues, too!).

<pre>combat skill
120 summoned energy vortex
100-120 people in fel/peekays
100 plague beast
98-100 gm summoned daemon
97-100 centaur
96-99 juka lord
97-100 ethereal warrior(they res you if you're positive karma)
95-100 shadow wyrm
90-97 phoenix
97-100 skeletal dragon
97-100 ancient wyrm
93-100 orc brute
92-98 rotting corpse
92-99 terathan avenger
92-99 balron
91-100 betrayer
91-100 gargoyle destroyer
91-100 ogre lord
91-98 zealot of khaldun, summoner
90-100 ophidian knight errant/avenger
~90-100 fire gargoyle
90-98 silver serpent
91-95 blackthorn juggernaut
92-93 tentacles of the harrower
86-100 blood elemental
91-93 dragon
87-96 bone/skeletal knight
85-93 snow elemental
90 summoned blade spirit
81-97 elder gazer</pre>

I just listed all the creatures which have always near gm combat skills. Earthys variate between 60-100 in skills, while these have 90-100, so they should be better for gaining at above gm.

They're all strong as hell, so the easiest(but most boring) is fighting rotting corpses(by x-healing, curing by ankh at humility shrine) and centaurs(with parry). Check the hunter's guide if you want to know where they all can be found.

[/ QUOTE ]

Atlantean Angel [2012] aka Ah Beng's note :
From GM to 120, I train on Succubus (good for Honor and Sacrifice virtues, too!).

A

Ah Beng

Many players do not know this, but fighting monsters with a mage weapon (eg. Staff or Pyros or Staff of Magi or Swords of Prosperity) is also a wonderful method of gaining magery skill. Fight the following monsters wielding a magery weapon, (choose your monsters) according to your magery skill. I Legendaried several of my mages using this method. (when almost everyone else used the terrible scripting/macroing the casting of spells using LRC armour method).