• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Use for the +60 Ancient Hammer

Riner

Journeyman
Governor
I'm curious what people use the +60 Ancient Hammer for now - I don't fail when I craft something, it doesn't provide a benefit when I reforge as it's random, and for enhancements there is the forged metal of artifacts. Does this raise the skill high enough that you can enhance reliably? Or have people found it useful for other things?

TrackStar

Journeyman
I'm curious what people use the +60 Ancient Hammer for now - I don't fail when I craft something, it doesn't provide a benefit when I reforge as it's random, and for enhancements there is the forged metal of artifacts. Does this raise the skill high enough that you can enhance reliably? Or have people found it useful for other things?
Dragon barding

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I use it
a) for enhancing 60+% fire and 70+%cold to 100% elemental
b) for repair deeds (to get 180 skill)
c) to enhance 150 luck so-so looted armor that not worth using forged tool(1 per 8-10success rate)

+30skill hammer with Talisman is enough for dragon bardings to make 100% exceptional.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Color Dragon barding and repairing ship cannons.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The NUMBER ONE USE for +60 hammers, if you only have one, is and should almost always be ENHANCING smith items when not using a forged metal tool.

About 15 years ago, there was a +1% bonus to enhancing success for every 10 points of Blacksmithing* over 100. Therefore, there's a 6% higher chance enhancing with an ASH+60 compared to without one, if enhancing with a GM, Elder or Legendary Smith. (which may explain a couple items over the years I accidentally SUCEEDED in enhancing when I targeted them without using a forged metal tool first, that SHOULD have been 100% chance of failure).

Repair deeds and actual repairs are good uses, but one has to be willing to churn the Blacksmith points to get them. I'm still using the ASH +30s from an IDOC 10 years ago for those.
And, you can craft anything that doesn't require a recipe 100% exceptional with a good smith talisman and a +30 ASH.

*(and presumably Tailoring as well - but a lot of people are wary of anything Tailoring, after they NEVER DOCUMENTED that Tailor BODs were 1/3 exceptional chance instead of 1/2 like Smithing and every skill with exceptional BODs after Tailoring - and only admitted it around 2007-8 after we confronted them with accumulated data we'd collected, and I think some of them were shocked to find that there was no documentation online other than a 2000 uo.com post that said Tailor BODs would work like smith BODs, which led to everyone expecting the 50/50 chance of smith BODs)

Dimax

Adventurer
Professional
Supporter
I really liked the sound of putting the last piece of Val White Dragon Scale armor on, & you looked so dam good in it too.

Riner

Journeyman
Governor
I just bought a repair bench and started making blacksmithing deeds to fill it, I found that the smithing hammer doesn't use charges when I craft them. Is the same true of the +60 Ancient Hammer? Also, do I hold the ASH when I make repair deeds or simply use it to get the bonus?

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I just bought a repair bench and started making blacksmithing deeds to fill it, I found that the smithing hammer doesn't use charges when I craft them. Is the same true of the +60 Ancient Hammer? Also, do I hold the ASH when I make repair deeds or simply use it to get the bonus?
Making repair deeds is not using charges of Ancient Hammer. You need to hold it in your hand. I an using it when making deeds, not other tool.