• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Urgent!!! Housing Questions

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
C

Connor_Graham

I've only owned 2 houses in the 3 years I've been playing UO, and both of them I got from a friend, so were already existing. I've never actually placed a house myself, and the new 18x18 plot I'm looking at has brought up some questions that I'm having a bit of trouble finding definitive answers to so thought someone here might be able to help. I'm looking at a possible castle plot, so it's kind of urgent that I get some solid answers fast! I'm sure you all understand.

1. I seem to recall reading somewhere that if you place a house on an account that already has a house, it puts the old house into a demolition pending mode which lasts for 7 days. Is this correct? I basically have a week after I place the new house to move everything from the old?

2. What if the old house has vendors on it? Does that extend the demolition pending period and if so, for how long?

3. Does the same character that shows as the owner of the old house have to be the one that places the new?

4. When do I get the refund from the value of the old house? Is it when it falls, or when I place the new house?

5. I'm wanting to test the spot I'm looking at to make sure the house is "properly placed" and will fit the size I want. If I place the new house, causing the old to go into demolition mode, then drop the new house, do I need to manually refresh the old, or does it do it on it's own?

I'll probably think of more as I work on this, but these are the ones that are most important at this point in the planning stage.

Thanks for the help!

G

1. Correct.

2. I believe the house is supposed to fall nine days after any outstanding contracts expire, however, many of these houses seem to be glitched and remain standing for many months. Either way, once your house goes into "Demolition Pending" mode, you no longer have access to it.

3. It makes no difference.

4. As far as I know, you only get a refund if you actually demolish the old plot yourself. Otherwise, you get nothing.

5. I just went through this, myself. If you place a second house on the same account and then demolish it, your original house will remain condemned and you'll be stuck with the dreaded seven day timer, in spite of the fact that you technically no longer own a house. You'll need to trade the house to a trusted friend or a dummy account in order to "save" it. However, you can test placement without actually placing a second house.

Coincidentally, I just returned to the game recently and I've been in a bit of a housing frenzy. I opened a third account late last night to nab an 18x18 plot just south of Umbra. It seemed too good to let go, but I have no idea what I'll do with it. It seems that you're also on Pacific, so if you want it, it's yours.

C

Connor_Graham

"However, you can test placement without actually placing a second house."

Exactly how do I do this without actually placing a house? I'm looking at what just may be a castle sized plot, but need to test it to be sure, and really don't want to screw this up.

" I opened a third account late last night to nab an 18x18 plot just south of Umbra. It seemed too good to let go, but I have no idea what I'll do with it. It seems that you're also on Pacific, so if you want it, it's yours. "

I appreciate that, but I've located a spot already that I want to place on that's ideal for me. Thank you for the offer though, and for the answers.

G

"Exactly how do I do this without actually placing a house? I'm looking at what just may be a castle sized plot, but need to test it to be sure, and really don't want to screw this up."

If you already own a house, attempting to place a second house will bring up an additional confirmation gump notifying you that your original house will be condemned. You'll be able to see exactly where the house would place, but just make sure you click on "cancel" rather than "okay" if you're not ready to finalize things.

I've personally never dealt with anything larger than an 18x18, but I wish you luck. Let me know how it turns out.

"I appreciate that, but I've located a spot already that I want to place on that's ideal for me. Thank you for the offer though, and for the answers."

I surmised as much from your post, but I had to ask. No harm, no foul, eh?

C

Connor_Graham

So it will let me know right away if the spot I'm trying to place in won't allow the new house without doing anything to my existing one right? The last thing I need is for my existing house to become condemned and me left with no house after 7 days.

G

1. They don't go dem pending,they just start to decay which takes about 6 days for them to do. Best to move your stuff out asap and drop em to get your refund if you are going to be going that route.

2. Only if the vendors are rented, and after they go through the normal decay cycle you can no longer access the house as if you were the owner.

3. Houses are now owned by accounts, not characters. So you can place with any character on that account.

4. You have to drop it to get the refund. You can't have rented vendors or items in your moving crate if you want to drop a house.

5. There is a bug where sometimes houses auto place, which would be bad for you. Test out house placement with a character that has no money in the bank, this way just in case you get hit by the bug it will not place and start condemning your other house.

If you want me to come out and look at the spot I'd be happy to, just PM me.

C

Connor_Graham

After playing around with trying to place this house, I'm getting the message "Castles and Keeps cannot be created here". The spot I'm looking at is in Tokuno. Are they not allowed there?

G

No castles or keeps in Tokuno or Malas, I'm afraid. I suppose it was done so as not to devalue those already (painstakingly) placed in Trammel and Felucca.

C

Connor_Graham

Ok, I've officially gone batty now. I can't even get an 18x18 to place in a wide open field. Keeps telling me there's an obstacle, but the nearest thing is a tree that's 3-4 tiles away from where I'm trying to place.

*picks up already pulled out hair up off the floor*

G

If the tree is in front or behind your house, it needs to be 6 tiles away. If it is on the sides, only a tile away.

C

Connor_Graham

It would be behind the house, but even more than 6 tiles away it still tells me there's something blocking or on invalid terrain. I give up. Thanks for the help everyone.

*throws in the towel*

2 hours wasted is enough...

G

Did you have your game window in the upper left corner? If not, then where you are targeting will not be correct.

G

try aiming where you think the middle of the front line of steps would be. (9 tiles in)