• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOAM & UOCART ........

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fix UO so they bloody work! (Jeff you listening! err Reading. This is a Mom... fix it ):wall:

Look I dont ask much for the great deal of $$ I pay to EA for this game ...BUT I do expect to be able to use the game. I am lagged out 99% of the time these last few months and I cant put my finger on the cause. Now some code jocky has messed with the files so my UOAM & UOCART dont work. Bad enough you have ruined my T hunting with the stupid map screwup*, now you take my fishing of sos's away...
Might I remind you I am not the only one a bit tiffed (tiffed is the gentilest word i could use, you dont want to know the real word)
Yes I know they gave us new mapper......
I dont want it~~~ I want uoam and uocart. Period. End of Discussion.

* no x,y no numbers for lat and long, hunt and peck and with my bad eyesight you expect me to find let alone have the time to do them........ I am a 14 year+ vet no stops no layoffs of the game... and I am getting fustrated enough to call it quits. A few more nails like this one and I will shut down all 46 accounts and sell off my junk and call it quits for good.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya know, changing those files that broke UOAM/Cart also broke peoples tile alterations/client alterations. So good DID come from it, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was on their minds.

Mapper doesnt even track me, but im giving the maker of it time to update/support it. Your Cartographer shouldn't even be broken unless you JUST downloaded it or tried to rebuild the maps.

(And 46 accounts? Really?)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe UO Cartographer can be made to work by telling it to use EC maps.
uoam can be made to work if you have a backup of your uo files. I had followed Basara's advice and kept a copy of my uo files as insurance against patching errors, so Terry's uoam is happily working by pointing it to those back up files.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been trying to search for detailed instructions of how to make UOCartographer and UOAutomap work but I have only been able to read bits and pieces of informations like to have UOC use the EC Maps or copy old Maps into the UOAM folder......

Are there anywhere on Stratics detailed instruction, step by step, of how to get these 2 usefull UO utilities work again ?

Thanks a lot.

On a side note, I would MUCH prefer if important aspects of the game like those covered by UOC and UOAM to make playability of Ultima Online better (and thus the game more fun for players to play....), were covered by the clients.

Why ?

Because the chances that most of these utilities done by players that help playing the game and make it more fun at some point might no longer be supported and so players would need to eventually have some other player with the skills, time and desire, to make another utility available which means time to fine tune it, fix the bugs and blah blah.

Since these utilities make playing the game more enjoyable and fun, wouldn't it make sense , in the best interest of UO, to have the client just be made capable of having those features which the players find usefull ? This way it could be updated and kept maintained along with the client....

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been trying to search for detailed instructions of how to make UOCartographer and UOAutomap work but I have only been able to read bits and pieces of informations like to have UOC use the EC Maps or copy old Maps into the UOAM folder......

Are there anywhere on Stratics detailed instruction, step by step, of how to get these 2 usefull UO utilities work again ?

Thanks a lot.

On a side note, I would MUCH prefer if important aspects of the game like those covered by UOC and UOAM to make playability of Ultima Online better (and thus the game more fun for players to play....), were covered by the clients.

Why ?

Because the chances that most of these utilities done by players that help playing the game and make it more fun at some point might no longer be supported and so players would need to eventually have some other player with the skills, time and desire, to make another utility available which means time to fine tune it, fix the bugs and blah blah.

Since these utilities make playing the game more enjoyable and fun, wouldn't it make sense , in the best interest of UO, to have the client just be made capable of having those features which the players find usefull ? This way it could be updated and kept maintained along with the client....
Install UO cartographer, if you're running windows 7 or Vista, have it set to run in admin mode.

If using Classic client you will need uoassist, if using Ehanced client you will need pincos ui (there's an option in pincos ui interface to enable cartographer), both clients will require microsoft.net framework installed, goto windows update to get this.

After installation you'll receive a reem of error messages, enter through these until you get a black map. Right click the black map and hit options, set the CC path to where the classis client exe file is saved, do the same for the EC (you will need a fully patched version of EC installed), regardless if you use EC or not, check the 'USE EC MAPS' then click OK, do NOT click rebuild, restart the map and voila.

You may send me a love letter with your thanks

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra I thank you for the idea!! ;)
I did that very same thing on my old laptop!!!
Now to harvest the data and fix my uoam! and thank you mervyn for the help on the UOCART. :D
It dont change my thoughts on the Dev and their sneeky paws in uo. I'd love some warning when they plan something like this for a heads up... o_O

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not 100% sure which files are needed, or how big a zip file of them would be.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not 100% sure which files are needed, or how big a zip file of them would be.

there's your exact answer ...

I don't wanna get bitched at for hosting it publicly on these forums though - probably best to handle that kinda thing "privately" if you know what I mean - hehe

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
uoam can be made to work if you have a backup of your uo files.
Not really. You can have better uoam look in case you have EC client installed somewhere.
Next step, get nconvert tool from nvidia site.
Now, you need to convert facet*.dds files from EC client folder to uoam bitmaps using this command
Code:
nconvert.exe -out bmp -colors 256 *.dds
Finally you need to rename facet00.bmp to MAP0-1.BMP, ... and facet05.bmp to MAP5-1.BMP and put them to uoam folder

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not really. You can have better uoam look in case you have EC client installed somewhere.
Now, you need to convert facet*.dds files from EC client folder to uoam bitmaps using this command
Code:
Finally you need to rename facet00.bmp to MAP0-1.BMP, ... and facet05.bmp to MAP5-1.BMP and put them to uoam folder

Ouch........ is there an easier way to get UOAM work again ?

S

Sevin0oo0

I don't wanna get bitched at for hosting it publicly on these forums though -
I have a RAR'd bmp of the map I used for SA (3mb compressed, 25 expanded). I used 'altitude' in getting it, not the best, but accurate and functional - requires renamed and then manually selecting when you enter. I normally use it in place of a Fel or Xray map.
Wonder what the rules are for links like that?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Code:
i know your speaking english..... but i have no idea what you just said!

i think it would be best if i just smile and back out of the room while maintaining some semblance of coolness.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The UORPC site has the UO Cartographer zip on the site, as well as EC map files from right before the patch that changed them. Both are at the bottom of the 'Links' page.

However, berating Jeff for the fact the UOAM and UOC (both completely unsupported programs, btw) no longer work is just asinine. While Ultima Mapper isn't quite as polished as it could be, the creator is still around and appears receptive to requests/changes and bug reports.

Time to change your mapping program.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm afraid I don't have a thorough enough understanding of copyright law and who owns what. :(
Why not ask devs about separate maps download for uoam? They could convert their dds to bmp or allow someone to do it and host on stratics.

EDA_GL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These are UO map files from an old backup.
I have a feeling this post will be removed by a mod, but perhaps not.
I just isolated what map(s) were needed to restore all so they would work.
This is a fix/solution for UOAM. It still lacks the new areas (all SA stuff).
Download all these files (34 total) and toss them into your UO game folder.
Not 100% sure if not replacing file(s) that you already have would mess anything up, as I've told several guild mates just to replace them anyways.
Been tested/fixed on map versions of 8.2 & 8.3 (really should fix any UOAM version, as you are only replacing what files it "looks for").
I will have a fix for UOAM that will have the new areas in it soon-ish.
Be sure to point map to "look" into the correct directory. (Maps > UO client data files location > "path to UO folder").
I've been telling people to have UO closed and UOAM closed. Not 100% sure if having either open would effect the outcome, but so far both have been closed and were fixed.
If you would like to send donations, PM me for info o_O .
If you have to type in the path manually, be sure to put \ NOT / between folders
Google Docs
Google Docs

Falon of Eldor

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My map is black. *frowns*. And its too much for try to even figure out what the heck is said above. Just trying to log in to these forums is hard enough. It may be time for me to hang my hat. *kicks the dirt*. I mean, for the past few months I just log in to get a few gains and arrest prisoners and put out the fires. Im stuck in "ima dumbass* mode and why should I pay for that! For the past ten years of playing I hated magery and walked/ran mostly everywhere. UOAM is the most important prog for me. But I dont want to get a degree in programming to figure out how to run it. People get on planes daily and dont know crap about why it stays in the air...it just does!! Dammit...even though im mostly just fricking around in the game...thats what I like to do and why I pay for two accounts, on a monthly subscription. *kicks dirt*. *raises fist and shouts -- I want my map!!*

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
These are UO map files from an old backup.
I have a feeling this post will be removed by a mod, but perhaps not.
I just isolated what map(s) were needed to restore all so they would work.
This is a fix/solution for UOAM. It still lacks the new areas (all SA stuff).
Download all these files (34 total) and toss them into your UO game folder.
Not 100% sure if not replacing file(s) that you already have would mess anything up, as I've told several guild mates just to replace them anyways.
Been tested/fixed on map versions of 8.2 & 8.3 (really should fix any UOAM version, as you are only replacing what files it "looks for").
I will have a fix for UOAM that will have the new areas in it soon-ish.
Be sure to point map to "look" into the correct directory. (Maps > UO client data files location > "path to UO folder").
I've been telling people to have UO closed and UOAM closed. Not 100% sure if having either open would effect the outcome, but so far both have been closed and were fixed.
If you would like to send donations, PM me for info o_O .
If you have to type in the path manually, be sure to put \ NOT / between folders
Google Docs
Google Docs
Confirmed working by several people last night BTW. I have to do this, i have my map working but i have it rigged to work. To get all the right files back in the uo directory would be nice lol. Bravo to EDA!, he would of had this fix sooner if people would stop putting bolas on the ground to distract him *runs to save my bola*

Hopefully no one removes those links!

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My map is black. *frowns*. And its too much for try to even figure out what the heck is said above. Just trying to log in to these forums is hard enough. It may be time for me to hang my hat. *kicks the dirt*. I mean, for the past few months I just log in to get a few gains and arrest prisoners and put out the fires. Im stuck in "ima dumbass* mode and why should I pay for that! For the past ten years of playing I hated magery and walked/ran mostly everywhere. UOAM is the most important prog for me. But I dont want to get a degree in programming to figure out how to run it. People get on planes daily and dont know crap about why it stays in the air...it just does!! Dammit...even though im mostly just fricking around in the game...thats what I like to do and why I pay for two accounts, on a monthly subscription. *kicks dirt*. *raises fist and shouts -- I want my map!!*
Understand the frusteration, work with people like you every day of my life.

If you are interested, i could try and help explain what to do, or even with your permission do a secure remote session (but i don't recommend that, since after all, you have no idea who i am lol, just makes it quick and easy on me to do it myself rather than explain it =/ )

EDA_GL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Side Note*
You dont even need to put all the files into your UO folder. I just looked and my map is "looking" to the folder I made on my desktop. It is like this from me playing around figuring what files one actually needed to restore map. I also copied the map files into my UO folder as well, so I have two 'working locations' for map to look.
For those having some type of display issue due to not being able to scroll down (as its happening to a guildy literally right now). In the meantime, suppsosidly if you have a gmail account it allows you to scroll through them.... I have a huge monitor and my resolution is high, so I can see 17 files on each page. Your results might differ.
Ill see if i cant group these up into smaller chunks, 6-7 files on each link.
You can make a new folder on your desktop and just target map to look at that new folder.
Ill see if I cant get a silly screenshot slideshow put together later today/tonight showing step by step on how to let map work again.

EDA_GL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK
This is the "new" update to the display of these map files.
There are 5 items in each link (minus the last one, has 4).
Totaling 34 items.
Tutorial thingy coming later tonight.

UOAM1
Google Docs
UOAM2
Google Docs
UOAM3
Google Docs
UOAM4
Google Docs
UOAM5
Google Docs
UOAM6
Google Docs
UOAM7
Google Docs

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/map1fa.jpg/][/URL]

If these appear small to you (they do for me), try to right click each image and hit "save target as".
Then you should be able to open it up on your system and zoom in.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's my automap - I feel bad for all the people having so many problems getting it working
only posted it because all the links in the post above mine weren't deleted so I figured it wouldn't be so bad
mods, feel free to delete this post if it's a real problem (but I think alot of people would benefit greatly from it not being deleted ...)

Attachments

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
PERFECT!
finally got my map working, thanks guys for the kid glove walk through and the files!!!

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
PERFECT!
finally got my map working, thanks guys for the kid glove walk through and the files!!!
if Hythloth isn't showing the volcano on the left side of the island on automap, grab the copy of the bitmap files I put in my post 2 posts up - I basically uploaded my entire automap directory, including a working termur version of uoam.exe

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quick question:

Do all 3 mapping programs REQUIRE that UOAssist be running?

:eek:

EDA_GL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shameless bump, good info on here!

On a side note....
What version of map is everyone running?

Are the 8.2 version people NOT seeing the new hythloth/undead spawns?
Are the 8.3 version people ABLE to see the new spawns?
Im curious to know these answers...
PM me for version 9.0

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well i got the citys to show up somewhat but still all black...... gunna have son try to fix (would like to chew out the dev who did this for being a dummy)

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How bout a little assistance with setting up a server for UOC? Friend of mine needs help and I obviously have no clue!

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why on earth would you still use uoam? Ive found Cartographer to be all thats required. And the OP will still be right if any alterations to the lands occur unless people are using UOC and set it up how Mervyn has it.

S

Sevin0oo0

Why on earth would you still use uoam?
Can't speak for all, but I've used it for years, thus there's Zero learning curve. It a feeling of 'home', and while it's not my only UO tool, working, it stays an option.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't speak for all, but I've used it for years, thus there's Zero learning curve. It a feeling of 'home', and while it's not my only UO tool, working, it stays an option.
to be honest sevin, uocartographer is pretty much the same (a few less features which therefore makes it easier to use) and the position update speed is much faster, if you have a lot of people on uoam, it just ends up looking like dots randomly flashing in random places even if everyone sets it to query the server once a second. UOC is a lot faster, once you use UOC, there's no going back.

it works on both clients.

L

Littlehawk

Here's my automap - I feel bad for all the people having so many problems getting it working
only posted it because all the links in the post above mine weren't deleted so I figured it wouldn't be so bad
mods, feel free to delete this post if it's a real problem (but I think alot of people would benefit greatly from it not being deleted ...)
I want to thank you very much, It worked, and I'm back to fishing again.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
there are two more things that I've run across as I've been helping people getting automap working for them that you should probably know about / double check to make sure you're a fully operational battle star

first, to make sure all the labels are showing up, check the files tab of map/additional settings... - it should look like this picture with everything checked

second, in order for termur to display correctly, you have to change the UO client data files location... setting under map when you're not in the borderless mode (double click automap itself to change between borderless and border mode) as in these following 2 pictures

this is what pops up when you click on UO client data files location...

p.s. - don't forget to grab the ilshenar files update I posted slightly earlier in this thread

P

Pacex

I have a problem with UOAM now, I finally found this post and got rid of my black background (Thank you so much!! :D ), but it wont track me :(
IVe tried to calibrate it 10 different locations, and I can get it to get the right coordinates, but when I move, uoam doesnt follow, it just stands still :(
Anyone can help with this?

P

Pacex

I got it working myself now :D
I had disabled the "track player" (uo>track player), when I calibrated.
Might sound like a stupid mistake, but once calibrated it does show that it is enabled, so therefor I didnt think it mattered :)
But to others, remember to have "Track player" enabled, Before! you calibrate :)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes thank you Kojak you made my day! Ok I an set up to go fish up a litteral castle full of sos's.... no joke thats how many built up durring this fiasco.......good thing i got shoe bods.......