• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO Veteran "Grog" (Leonard Adolph) Has Passed Away.

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've done business with Grog, and he's a great guy. His store always had the best items for the best prices. He had great service too.

Grog is a UO legend and will never be forgotten. He will be missed.

C

Certyl

This is very sad news indeed, Grog will be sorly missed.
My condolences to his family and friends.

G

My Sympathy to the Grog family. I still remember when Grog was on GL. Such sad news. I am sure Grog went on to a better place. It is always sad to hear of the passing of someone in the UO community. Prayers go out to his family. Blessed are those who have had the oppertunity to know Grog. May his journey in the hereafter be filled with love and peace.

Sincerly,
Willa

I

imported_ejpeters

I had hoped that this was a mistake since his son had died so recently. He will be missed, many times I saw him near the Haven bank and he was always so friendly.
He will be missed and it would be nice to have a permanent tribute to him in game.
I don't know where got the icon from but in an older post he had said that he got permission to continue using Grog in game because of all the trade mark problems that others were having.
Here is a post about how he got the name Grog though:

Grog's Post:
"Long ago (about 1967) as an apprentice patternmaker some of my coworkers were intrigued by my capacity for the consumption of almost anything (at that time only food and/or beer). As I was overweight (tending to roundness) and hairy (full beard and longish hair) I was given a nickname that came the BC comic strip; Grog. The nickname stuck and after 27 years of marriage my wife still calls me Grog.

When I first started in UO I naturally chose Grog as a name. A short time into my gameplay I ran across a player that used various names that included Daz. He had a miner Daz, carpenter Daz, etc. Since I thought that was an interesting idea I named each of my characters Grog as I created them.

I decided my game goal was to spread my name as much as possible. That set my goals to GM each and every craft skill such that I could make and mark everything with my name. I have been able to do that for some time now.

Have fun."

Catskill's community has been deeply touched and will always remember this fine man.

I

imported_CatLord

Condolences and best wishes to his family.

Grog... few touch so many like he did...

Thank you for all your help and inner joy...

the youngbloods will carry your armor, your flame will burn forever.

Till we meet on the other side...

Rest in Peace my friend.

P

Princess Fifi

It is a very sad time for Grogs real life family and a sad time for the UO community indeed. The Grog family was the perfect and absolute representation of a great player in this game. He NEVER cheated or done anything illegal and was a wonderful and helpful person/player. The Adolph family has lost a great man. May his memory live on forever.

G

It is a small UO world after all. Many many years ago, when i made Cats my home shard, i went thru the Yew Moongate, "for the first time", and promply got lost..........I had no magic skills, and my PC did not meet the Min requirements to play, and i was using a 14.4 dial up connection, from Hawaii.

I ran past Grog, trying to outrun a fireball that a Orc Mage cast at me. I coulden't and almost died. Grog healed me, and then offered to help me, and gave me Armor. I was to weak to wear it, hehe. He then showed me where the moongate was. He told me to join them when i build up my charater, but i joined, SIN, instead. Players like that make the game worth playing for 9+ years. RIP.

S

splzd103

I was not fortunate enough to have interacted with Grog at all, however I have seen him on these forums and running around in various places and dungeons.

He was very knowledgable, helpful and always had something constructive to add to a thread.

In the imortal words of Billy Joel, Only the good die young.

Grog, you will be missed. Happy journey's.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
A last farewell to Grog and my condolences to his family and friends.

I

imported_Spiffykeen

Goodbye Grog, you were a nice, and funny guy.... My best wishes to all those you left behind, I know they feel your loss very deeply....

G

I met him once ingame and he seemed to be a very kind person. And also like many others have stated, it was fun reading his posts. Sad to hear about what happened to him.

R.I.P. Grog

A

Axe44

My deep condolences to his family and to all who knew him. I unfortunately didnt (europa) but i know the feeling youre talking about and it saddens me everytime to see someone leaving this game way or another. Especially this way. Remember: how we have lived defines us. He will kind of live as long as we'll remember his memory, his legacy, his character and his life in UO.

R

rainielu

I knew Grog only through his delightful posts here and through the praise heaped upon him by his friends. My deepest condolences to the Adolph family. *hugs*

P

Pestilence213

Very unfortunate. I wish his family the best, and may he be in peace in the afterlife.

G

What terrible news! I didn't know him ingame, but he was such an easy going guy on the boards it was impossible not to like him. My heart really goes out to his family at this time - it is so hard losing someone you love, even if you are so much better for having known them.

Z

zorrah

I couldn't believe the subject when I read it.. I figured it had to be another Grog.

I recently returned to UO after seven years. At first, I was hesitant about staying. There have been many changes over the last few months that have made me consider leaving again. However, one night I stumbled onto the beggars' forum. Grog's stories and willingness to help others rekindled a fire in me. I remembered why I returned.. the community. The ability and chance to help others out along the way. The friendships.

That night I also made myself a promise to find Grog in-game and thank him for being him. I never got the chance.

Tonight, I send my thanks to his spirit instead. And my warmest thoughts to his family and those who knew him well.

G

that is so sad .... i never got to meet him in game but i allways read the many replies he made on the forums.
It just seems so odd , cause i was just browsing forums on friday really quick since i had a busy weekend ahead and reading stuff he wrote.

My wishes go out to his family and friends,
May you rest in peace Leonard

CharlieTib

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had never met him but i always respected him from the boards because he was always full of enthusiasm.I will miss his positive attitude he brought into the boards.

Rest easy.... the Grogs -a-many.

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry to hear about Grog's passing. I've never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I always found his posts a pleasure to read...

Hans, I wish you and your family strength in these difficult times...

I

imported_Lia

I am so sorry to hear this. Grog was one of the players others, including myself, looked up to. He was funny and caring and his passion for the game definitely rubbed off on others. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

G

I don't play Catskills so I'm another of those who never had the pleasure of meeting Grog in-game, but so much of his character and personality came through in his posts here that it still feels like having lost a good and valuable friend. He will be sorely missed by all who had even small contact with him.

My heartfelt sympathies to his family and friends.

K

kimmeraZion

I never had the great priviledge of playing with Grog but we did get to exchange a few messages. I have always enjoyed his posts here and today as I read this my heart is heavy. He was gentle and kind and will be missed by everyone who was fortunate enough to have had their lives brushed by his. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

W

woody cats

To me a Grog siteing was always special as there was never a time that if you said hello that he would not take the time to say hello and allow you to feel like a friend. now my most treasured possessions will be the set of all the items begger Grog gave to me as fruit of his hard work. I will always remember how proud he was of the help he gave and how it seemed that he was loved by everyone . His stories were special . I know of at least one he said to blame me for as I told him I missed his adventures. I also remember how after his 1son died he was so thankfull for the candle that some gave him and when I gave him the tear and when he was looking for leather I asked him to meet me and was he ever suprised when he say my deed . Also remember my laughting when a week or so later he posted he gm tailoring with leather he received as gift. he was special.

Isabo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My deepest heartfelt sympathies to the friends and family of a UO Legend. May all be comforted knowing he will live in the memories of all the people he touched !!!

G

He will be sorely missed on New Players Forum too. His expert advice he shared every day with new and returning players was priceless...

Condolences to his family and friends.

A

Aboo

Although I didn’t have the pleasure of knowing him in game, I always enjoyed reading his posts on Stratics. His presence will be sorely missed here.

His family and friends will be in my thoughts and prayers.

G

*tips her hat in rememberance and raises a glass of guiness* May the wind always blow against your back even beyond the veil.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never to my knowledge got caught up in the flame wars of Stratics. A testament to his good nature. I didn't know him in game, but I wish I had.

Take care Grog.

G

I just wanted to share our condolences with Grog's loved ones for their loss.
Here's a man who'll be remembered by friend and stranger alike for his good nature, and truly UO's become a little dimmer without him.

We could only hope that some may feel inspired by the outpouring of warmth and respect they see here, and want to walk in his footsteps.

R

Rosaline

Grog's posts were some of my favourites, and he was a wonderful beggar to boot.

The fight against the Ultimate Evil just won't be the same without him

Pants

G

*RTLFC*

Rest in peace Grog.

Also best wishes, condolences, and prayers to Grog's family & friends.

S

Snow Flake

I finally met Grog at the bank a few weeks ago and got to speak with him for a moment. What a wonderful person.

I will be empty without his posts here, they were so wonderful to read.

Hopefully he logged into a better place, and all my best to his family.

Snow

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My heartfelt condolences to his RL family and his UO family. I sadly never met Grog in game but enjoyed his posts like many others. I've been reading all the wonderful posts about him and am sad we have lost someone so kind and generous.

Rest Well Grog
You will be Missed

G

Grey Shades

His posts both entertained and informed will be much missed. THe void grows no Goodman or Grog

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Dear Friends of Britannia,

Please tell me NOT, that UO is "just a game."

Folks we meet here, acquaintances, friends, family, Guildmates, fellow combatants.

The loss of any from our community diminishes us all, whether slightly or greatly. Those who have truly understood Lord British, and the Virtues he embraced and enshrined here, contributed so much, their loss is indeed deeply felt.

I knew Grog mainly from his posts on UO Stratics. Yet even there his wonderful, giving, spirit was felt, appreciated, and cherished.

My thoughts and prayers go first to his family and loved ones (in the Void most call reality), then to all in Virtuality whose lives he touched and enriched.

Many believe that death is but a fork in the road of our eternal journey (as I do). I hope to meet Grog in eternity where our fellowship will be endless (and where PvP will be truly balanced, hehe).

May Angels bear thy spirit to eternal love and joy!!!

Elladan of Baja

I

imported_outcry

Today i heard the sad news of Grogs passing, i send my prayers out to his family, for not only have we in the community lost a great wonderful person, they lost a beloved father, husband, and friend...

There are not many people in the life of UO who we can say really touched so many people, but Grog was one of them few.. I hope the UO community unites to keep The Grog Light Shining.. he is truly one of the few who people will always be remember for his humor, advice, helpfulness... R.I.P

P

Ponce DeLeon

Grog was a special person... always friendly and helpful to his fellow players, he never asked for anything from anyone and he reached out to friends and strangers in a way that is inspiring.

Last Christmas, he was telling us about the flat screen monitor his wife got for him and he said she was very good to him. My thoughts are with his family at this time. My heartfelt condolences go out to them.

L

LadyLaBelle

Add me to the list of those who never had the opportunity to meet and talk with this good man. I knew him only by his noble reputation whose beams sprang from these boards. His posts always made me pause and smile. It seems the Celestial Programmer sometimes lends us someone like Grog whose inner light is so strong it crosses miles with Light Speed and spills out sunshine even into a computer game and the lives of its players. So I must thank you dear Grog.

And thank you to all those who contributed to the beautiful remembrance that was his Memorial.

P

Paul B of baja

<blockquote><hr>

I just wanted to share our condolences with Grog's loved ones for their loss.
Here's a man who'll be remembered by friend and stranger alike for his good nature, and truly UO's become a little dimmer without him.

We could only hope that some may feel inspired by the outpouring of warmth and respect they see here, and want to walk in his footsteps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance of a memorium to Grog being set up on Cats? What a way to remember someone who did so much,

G

Gark

I have been away from UO for a year or two. I stopped in to see what the latest news is, and I find this post. One last tale for you Grog.

Lady Riley wasn't seen for many a long day. No one noticed her as she walked through the side streets of Britain. No one hailed her as she walked through Luna, down the road to Umbra. Even Orcs and scorpions ignored her as she walked thru the barreness of Malas, to a little spot she remembered. She turned to Nightwish, her faithful Mare... " We have gone far old friend. I release you from my service."
A small red note falls from her hand. A valentine for Riley from Grog when he Visited Drachenfels. She tosses a rose to the ground, and it seems to whisper.
'Farewell Grog', she sighs. And vanishes.

Lady Riley, Legendary Bard

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He was just wandering by my home.... He's got the power now.

Attachments