• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO Veteran "Grog" (Leonard Adolph) Has Passed Away.

Rhus Radicans

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Via Grog's son, Hans Adolph.

Grog had "Grog" Guilds on every single UO shard, and was a familiar sight on Catskills; I played with him myself, recently we hunted for a swamp dragon for my namesake paladin on Catskills. He was a kind and generous player, always willing to help new players as well as veterans, and contributed many times to the New Players Forum. I considered him my friend and will miss him.

Leonard Adolph died of heart complications, according to his son. I believe he was in his 60's when he passed on.

A wonderful UO veteran is no longer with us. If you have any pleasant memories of Grog, please share them here.

Here is a "biography" of the Grog clan that Grog posted on his personal forum at UO Forums:

Grog, his story.

Long ago there came to Sosaria a man named Grog. He found the land to be fine and settled in a shard called Great Lakes. He soon had a son and as Grog is a perfectly fine name, he named his son Grog. When he had a second son he knew that Grog was still a fine name so that son also was named Grog. And so it went...

Today there are over 60 Brothers_Grog in the Grog Guild representing every known shard of the shattered Gem. The main quarters of the Grog guild is in the very fine shard of Catskills. There are also Cousins_Grog in every shard and they are Grog guilded as is a lone Second Cousin_Grog in the Catskills shard. There is a Sister named Cayenne and on the Cousin side there is a lone female with the name of Ruby (RL wife's name). It is rumored that Ruby is an elf.

The Brothers had built a home in Great Lakes but when a better home became available in Catskills (gift from friends) they gladly gave away their cabin and Crafter Grog moved the Grog treasures to Catskills to join that branch of the family. Recently the Cousins came along and they built a small building in Catskills as well. Very recently along came a Second Cousin who also built a structure.

The three buildings of Grog now comprise the Grog Village. If one starts at the pyramid in the Malas desert and travels east they will soon come upon the Grog home. The rest of the Village is the next two buildings directly to the North East.

The lower building is the living quarters for the Grogs. The middle building is the Grog Warehouse. And the upper building is the brand new Grog Guildhouse. All the building are open to friends and strangers alike. There may be found a small number of vendors that sell off quite cheaply whatever is brought home. As an example all treasure maps are sold at the flat rate of 100 gold pieces.

The Grog Guildhouse is rapidly becoming the showplace of the family. All locked down containers are available for all to look through. If one looks about the Guildhouse carefully there are a few small surprises to amuse and befuddle most visitors. The Guildhouse is a work in progress and will continue to grow.

Rest in peace, Grog. Farewell and Fair Travels, my friend.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Grog will be missed. He was a great man, and Catskills was blessed to have him.

G

I still have my Grog made armor circa 2000.

That's terrible, my thoughts are with his family at this time.

G

Although I never crossed paths with him in-game (well except once seeing a Grog run past), his posts filled with a joy of the game and were always a welcome read.

*condolences to his family*

G

Rest In Peace, Good Sir

I salute you. You will be missed on this forum and in the community at large.

G

UO has lost a wonderful person and our world is a little darker now. My deepest sympathies to Grog's family.

A

Aang

Grog was a new friend of mine, having just met and played with him last week. I'd spent the past few evenings playing and chatting with Grog. What a wonderful, funny, caring person. Farewell Grog. My deepest sympathies go to his family.

L

Lady Arianne

Farewell to a Friend

Grace, with just a touch of attitude
Obviously ahead of the pack
Obligated to no one
Daring to pave your own way
Beautiful in your uniqueness
You won all our hearts
Everyone you touched, will remember

True to your new friends
Able to leap into our hearts
Sassy but loving
Hyper, with dignity
And above all, you will be
Greatly missed

.........by JoAnna Drelleshak

I

imported_Kojak

I actually helped him get some of his alternate characters into his Grog guild one day - he was very nice

S

Soam414

Very sad day for Catskills and for me personally. I only met him a short time ago, he was mining outside my house. He took pleasure in the simple things in UO and he was a very kind person.
We ended up speaking for a few hours the night we met and I regret not taking more time to speak with him
My heart goes out to his family and friends, he was one of the good guys.

R

Rhianyn

May his journey Beyond thrive.
My deep sorrow to his family.
Beannacht.

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm shocked by this news, for like all of you I enjoyed my time with Grog. Many times we would meet in towns and take the time to joke around as two friends tend to do. The Grogs always made me smile when I met them in game, as a matter of fact I even wrote a few joking stories about Grog that made him laugh. He will be missed by me very much, the Catskills world is a little darker as of today.

I

imported_raider red

I send my heart felt condolence to grog's entire family,I know all too well the pain of lossing a parent as my lovely mother has passed away one june 3rd.I never knew grog personally but I did enjoy all his postings over the last few years,the world truly lost a wonderful man.

D

Dor of Sonoma

This news comes as a sad and terrible surprise.

Was he not posting here just this week?

Ahhh...I am having difficulty envisioning the loss to the community (not to mention those whom loved him in the real world) of such a wonderful soul.

*needs time to grasp this*

EDIT: I came across Grog's last post on Stratics, and it is so evocative of his warm and wonderful manner - it was ever a pleasure to read his posts. *smiles*

G

Very unfortunate, he was a very nice person.
My thoughts & wishes go out to his family.

I'm not very good at expressing myself at times like this.
But, I remember being very happy for and impressed by him when he recently contacted the company that had the rights to Grog and asked them if they had a problem with him using his name. Of course they didn't, for he was using it with the right intentions. But, that's the type of man I knew Grog to be, a good man with a kind soul and good intentions. He definitely has my respect. Peace.

A

Arturi

I also am saddened by the loss of such a great member of our communtity. My condolences go out to his family. Fare thee well my friend in the great journey beyond.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's no doubt in my mind that everyone had at least a passing glance of Grog and that many of us had the opportunity to get to know this fine gentleman. Outgoing, generous and a love of the game that showed in all he said and accomplished.

My heartfelt condolences to his family, he will be missed both in the lands and here on the forums.

M

Mordocuo

UO was blessed to have him as a member of the community. Go in peace and be remembered always.

G

Let me add my best wishes for the family. He was and will always be a well respected man here.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Few of us who spend hours and hours playing a game linked to one-anouther through an internet connection will ever see each other face to face. "Grog" when I would meet him in-game was always a wonderful person to play with. As many of you know he joined in the cyber-breakfast that SunnySideUp or myself would host most every morning. He made me laugh and made me smile. He played wonderfully into the world of Ultima Online.

No one lives forever, which is something that is often easily forgoten in a world of MMORPG's where if you "die" in a game you simply get resurected. All of us are flesh and blood. One day I too will cease to exist. However, I'm alive now, and my words speak from every part of who I am. I don't want people to beat their chests and hang their head when I die...NO! For when I'm alive, as I breath NOW I enjoy the sun, the fresh air blowing, and despite the words of (some of) those who don't play online games, Ultima Online is what I enjoy doing in my life. Just as "Grog" did.

This is Grog's day, let us not remember his memory by hanging our head, but to celebrate knowing such a wonderful person, who was nothing more than a joy to play a game with.

As he played the role of a person who drank and enjoyed meat, I will be holding a celebration in his honor tonight at the bar and cafe' Ghast Refectory & Skeleton Swill. It is located to the South West of Umbra bank, please ICQ me ( 293-838-689 )for directions to the event if you need it. There will be drinks in his honor and fresh meat to fill cyber-bellies, join me at 9:00PM EST. If you have the ability to then please wear a sash dyed black in his honor.

Grog, you will be missed, and so long as I live NOT forgotten. Long live the memory of Sir and Lord Grog.

G

Greetings,

Although I have never met him ingame I have still heard his name.

Rest in peace Adventurer. My regards to his family and friends.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm shocked and saddened by this news. I express my deepest condolences to his family.

G

Condolences and best wishes to his family.

Unless I'm mistaken, he was the one that posted here, if I'm not, then he will be missed on here as well as in game.

G

Sad news indeed. Grog was an admiral poster. While I never met up with him in game he came across as a noble individual. He will be missed. His family should take heart in the fact I'm sure he has started a Grog guild in the realm he now occupies.

I

imported_Eleanor Rigby

What sad, sad news.

Although I never had the good fortune of meeting you in the game Grog, I will certainly miss your posts here on the boards. You certainly brightened many lives.

Eleanor

Ryna

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't even begin to express how much this saddens Grifty and I.

There's a sticky for you in our hearts, as well as the beggar forum, for you. You were a first class Beggar.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Very sad day for the community.

Farewell my friend, Until we meet again on the other side.

S

SunnySideUp

I think this is by far the single hardest post I have ever had to make in all of my UO days. Grog was a dear friend not only in game but in life as well. He touched our family with his kindness, grace and understanding and those are things that will never be replaced yet always celebrated.

We count our blessings for the time that we had with this outstanding person and all that he shared with us.

We wish peace at this time to his family knowing that he would not want to see them endure one once of pain and only ever wanted to protect them from that.

*Sets out one last rare steak just the way Mr. Grog loved them and dries her eyes of the tears and goes off to her quiet corner by the window to remember all the smiles and laughter they shared together*

Peace be with you our friend,
Peggy, Solomon & TJ

R

- Revenant -

R.I.P Grog.

Commiserations to his family.

I hope someone keeps the Grog guild flame alight.

G

I had walked by him on several occasions, not once stopping to say hi. Then about 2 weeks ago, I stoped and told him thanks for his posts here.
Now I find he is no more. Yet another name to add to the rolls of legends and heroes.

I wish his family peace, in this time of greif.

G

Gorgasm

I'm going to miss seeing his little funny icon and his warm posts on the forums. I did not know him in game or very well ooc but for the replies we made to each other; I respected him and enjoyed what little conversation was made.

I

imported_Sarphus

Sad to see him die. He will definitely be missed on catskills.

R

rajadeah

This is truly a sad, sad day in UO. Grog was a wonderful guy. This is such a shock...

Our deepest sympathies to his family during this time.

G

I will forever remember him from the last words that he spoke to me only two nights ago (at the end of our first and last long conversation in-game), "This was very pleasant". He was just that, a very pleasant man -- and will be greatly missed.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Atheryn

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have met Grog in-game a few times, always by happenstance, and he was a fantastic person. I have never known someone who has such a zest for life as he does - he will be dearly missed by everyone who knew him, and knew of him. I think what I'll remember him most for, are his "interesting" templates - while the rest of us were trying to find the best and most effective templates for the latest content, he was always finding unique ways of reviving old skills most of us wouldn't consider useful. Beggar Grog, lol. And what is even better, is that he had a lot of fun doing it. He had a great appreciation of the little things that most of us take for granted. He lived in the moment, and I will always admire him for that. He will be missed terribly. My deepest sympathies go out to his family.

In the eternal words of Grog;

"Have fun"

Atheryn.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A very nice guy, I will miss him. Catskills for me will no longer be the same without him.

Bye Grog.

L

Lilac Crypt

He will be missed. His time with us was far too short.

His time with his family.. I cannot even imagine how they feel. Know he was loved and appreciated.

~LC~

W

woody cats

he was truly a special person and i will miss running into him

B

BellaofCats

This is such sad news. I will miss you Grog, we all will miss you.

My sympathies to his family. May your memories of love, laughter and fun sustain you in your time of sorrow.

Bella

K

Kimi_Mori

Tis sad to see such news and know that we have lost a member of our family here in UO. I never met him in game, but his posts here always gave me insight and a laugh.

It was seeing his signature and his posting of members of his "family" on all shards that got me started with making more advance char's on several shards. I even made one on Catskills, and I may have run by him in game when fighting on Catskills or just sitting at the bank licking wounds and dropping gold.

My heartfelt condolences to his family, he will be missed here on the forums. RIP sir.

G

Oh my.
Grog was a UO legend and I will sorely miss him.
Although there are no words to alleviate the sorrow anf grief his family is feeling, my prayers and blessings are with them.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grog being remembered on Catskills

I don't want his memory to die, I don't think I ever took the chance to ask him where he got his icon (the little stuffed fellow with the hat) from. Does anyone know the story behind his icon he used in stratics forums?