• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO to WoW

E

Eldorian

I have some friends and co workers who would all argue about the PVP realm thing and being 99% 14 year olds. They're all in their 20's and 30s and switched to a PVP realm because they say it's more adult oriented and mature there than a PVE realm.

Got some jerk running around being an idiot while you're killing mobs? Got some doofus following you around running for the mining spots before you get to them?

You don't see that on the PVP realms... because they'll just get killed.

I have to agree with them, I've run into more than my fair share of idiots on the server I play on. The little bit of time I did try a PVP server it was very enjoyable and people felt more helpful. Only reason I haven't been playing in one is simply because I'm already well established on a server as it is.

L

Lag

Also, there is a lot more loyalty to your side. On pve realms, people dont hate the opposite faction. Pvp does.

H

HaHa

One thing im hearing about WoW in comparison to UO is that the end game in WoW is horrible so some are coming back to UO. Ive heard that after you reach your max skill in WoW that there isnt really much more for you(never played WoW so please bear with me) to do. How true is this?

E

Eldorian

One thing im hearing about WoW in comparison to UO is that the end game in WoW is horrible so some are coming back to UO. Ive heard that after you reach your max skill in WoW that there isnt really much more for you(never played WoW so please bear with me) to do. How true is this?
Considering I've had more fun with my level 70 than I had when leveling him... and there seemed to be a LOT more to do then just level... I think it's pretty untrue. I think most people that complain were the type that hit 70 and decided that was that instead of doing the numerous things available to do.

P

Pashta

There really is a LOT to do once you hit 70. It's a whole new game. The problem for me is, it's a politics and greed game to most people. At that point in the game you need a guild and you need to deal with many egos and drama once you start getting into raiding and loot.

I'm sick of it, so I made my own guild again. If you want something done right, do it yourself. :)

E

Emuishere

This debate can go back and forth till pigs fly. At this point it boils down to personal preference.

R

Rejject

Yes i have heard alot about that as well (hitting 70 and getting bored) and going back to UO, but i have to ask what happens when you get your toons in UO to 120 X6? run champ spawns get raided by a pvp guild get ganked and waste 30 minutes or more for nothing (another nice thing about WOW with no one being able to raid and take over your dungeon), wrk trade skills, peerless boss? I have to agree with the chick above me here in the post we can debate back and forth for the rest of our lives but every game has a point in it where you cant go any further, you just have to find something elsa (in game) to do. :thumbsup: just my 2 cents:next:

M

Mythic

The personal preference is the key here. I prefer deapth over pretties. Just like UO, Ill take weapons over rares anyday, no need for pretties.

E

Emuishere

A game is what you make of it, I think that is why I went to a RP server. It allows a different level of depth that you can't get by just raiding, etc. Though there is also RP in UO, but even that is slowly dying. Essentially, if you want more out of something you get what you give.

G

GuideGuru

I have always been afraid of RP servers, but I have always liked to RP and the RP feel of games. Funny but RPing in WoW just seems to send a shiver down my spine. All I can think about are the 10 year old running around as Night Elf hunters making pelvic thrust gestures and it just doesn't sit well with me.

N

Nem

I love UO, but WoW is just downright fun. To me, they are just totally different types of games.

Playing WoW felt very natural to me, but that was more likely due to the detail and polish of WoW.
Well said they are totaly diffrent games

C

Cymidei Fier

Is the UO to WoW jump viable? Are there any former UO players who have thoughts on WoW? I'm considering making the switch.
I play both. UO, Social & roleplay. WOW PVP and end game raiding

B

Bud_Weiser

Wow endgame is horrible? What planet did you hear this on? The game dosen't even START until you hit level 80. There is so much raiding/pvp/questing/achievements/crafting to do that if you are board at level 80, it's your own damn fault.

UO = Dead. They really need to pull the plug on that POS. The Devs have not done anything to make that game better in years. I honestly feel sorry for anyone who is playing that game cause it's garbage. And on top of all of that, if you play UO, stay there. We don't need the whiney Trammelite attitude in WoW. (Yes a blanket statement, most of you fit this mold. I understand some don't but most of you do.)

Wow dosen't need housing. I don't want to ride out of the Stormwind gates and have houses everywhere. Not needed, no place for it.

And who killed these forums? Stratics sure did die.....

Abra

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well i play ultima and WoW i think in my apionion UO has better gameplay and better interface and it is not the best userfrendly game but once u get going it is ok the PvP in uo is off the hook i play a Necro Spell weaving Mage and i got max DCI and MAX MR and a mage wepon there is not one archer or dexer in the matter that can hit me so my mage is pretty fun so thats my main and im addicted to uo i did how ever get my rouge to lvl 40 and ive played wow off and on for 3 years so yah uo going on 10 years bigg diffrence!! any one wana ell or get rid of some uo account hit me up PM me hehe well later

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've played UO since 2000...i left UO in 2006 for WoW.
And then now 2008...i left WoW for UO...

WoW's good things :
+ graphics
+ the races !
+ quests with clear clues where to start looking
+ active community
+ loads of item database websites that tell you where to get what
+ PvP is quite fair
+ perma ban for goldsellers , bot farmers and bug exploiters...so you defenatly know the customer support is not on auto pilot.
+ GM's actualy respond
+ a lot of opportunity for roleplay
+ the monthly payment is cheaper then UO
+ world channels wich allow you to advertice and sell your items or when you are looking for items. + the looking for group channel.
+ active forum with loads of fun topics.
+ friend's list , wich makes it easier to track your friends
+ a cook is actualy usefull in WoW

WoW's bad things :
- 99% of the people on PvP servers are total pricks and most likely 14 years old.
- you need addons to block goldsellers their spam messages
- the lack of 'rare' colored pets...rare pets often look like any other pet...wich actualy doesn't make them special at all..
- class balance...it's never balanced...each class get it's time to shine and to be OP for a month.
- unexpected server problems , wich can happen...but it usualy takes a few hours before they get it up and running again
- No houses and no rare items...
- At level 70 things kinda get boring...
- Your account needs to be active to post or reply on the official forum
- the forum is usualy full of whinners and things easily end up in flaming.
- after a few month being inactive your characters are deleted...
- playing a class that has no healing , forces you to take 'first aid' as skill...too bad the bandies don't quite do what you want them to do while you're in combat + they have a cooldown..(wtf?)

UO's good things :
+ the depth..there's no other game like it.
+ dragons and nightmares as pets.
+ Houses and rare items
+ more clothing
+ recolorable armor
+ people are friendlier on the forums.
+ you don't need an active account to post on the forum
+ your characters are still there after being inactive for YEARS.
+ UO never seem to get boring...cause there is no 'endgame'.
+ bandies actualy work and you can apply them in combat without a cooldown.

UO's bad things :
- customer support and GM responds are on Auto pilot..
- takes ages before they do something about bug exploiters.
- the monthly payment is hella expensive for what you get
- no friend's list..wich makes to hard to track your friends...you need to have their icq or MSN to contact them if they're not on the same screen as you.
- trading at the bank has become quite difficult...people rarely react and there's not as much people as there used to be...
- a cook is useless...they make stuff nearly noone wants to buy...
- the discrimination of 'elven only'...yet i see no 'human only' stuff.

The thing that keeps me in UO...is houses , rares , decorating , dragons and nightmares.

But somehow i'm starting to miss WoW....the races , the quests.
Wow...nice summary of those games. Intriguing.

E

ExcavIncCenarius

UO to wow. heck yes its do-able. I started UO shortly after beta and played it for close to 8 or 9 years.
I didnt like WoW at first but my wife made me stick with it till I leveled one character to 60 (the level cap at the time.) and the game rocks.
My biggest complaints about WoW are No houses, No boats,No incentive to hang out with lowbies. so the lower level areas tend to be dead on older servers.I also miss Vendors.
The reasons I left UO. All my friends were gone. new players never stuck around for long, my pc could barely push it with my so so internet. YES thats right the 3d lush world (as compared to uo) is actually easier on a pc than UO.
and my wife made me. :thumbup:
we recently reloaded uo and it was just so painful for us to try and do anything we put our toons back into storage and just logged out.
Im still not going to sell or delete my account permanantly because hey you never know.

B

Bo Riddler

I just realized UO is still around, I left there Dec. 4th 2005 and never looked back. I am glad the game is alive and well but WoW is where it is more me. I am nearing my 8th level 80.

Bo

C

CandleJack

I play both of them and i must say i still enjoy UO more, WoW is to simple for me i play it as a time passer, and the pvp is to simple for me and it is very limited due to the fact you can only kill enemys of the opposite alliance.

Rogal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still have 2 UO accounts but I rarely play, I'm only keeping them for the house storage of my items really.

I made the move to WoW about 3 months ago.
I'm still "lowbie" in WoW terms what with a lvl 60 Nelf Hunter and a lvl 62 DK.

I love the questing in it, some funny stories and things. PvP meh not so much untill I hit 80 and start raiding.

SAVATAGE

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made the move to wow years ago btu still played UO some.. Now my accounts just hold a couple houses and old items..... other than that.. im on wow.. Sad but true.. i miss UO but i cant see playing it anymore

K

Kit Kat

*savage* miss you hunny :p well i made the move to wow about a year ago and i love it made the move with a few of my friends I finally closed my uo acct about 6 months ago and gave my castle away so i wouldn't come back :>

SAVATAGE

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*savage* miss you hunny :p well i made the move to wow about a year ago and i love it made the move with a few of my friends I finally closed my uo acct about 6 months ago and gave my castle away so i wouldn't come back :>
Yeah but your castle is just sitting on one of my accounts so if you wanted it back you could have it :p

K

Kit Kat

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when i gave it to you i told you to do what you need i don't think i will ever go back to uo even though i miss some of my friends

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- you need addons to block goldsellers their spam messages
- the lack of 'rare' colored pets...rare pets often look like any other pet...wich actualy doesn't make them special at all...

You dont need an addon really. I play on three realms and dont really have any problems. Wow is very proactive about that.

As far as rare pets..Time Lost come to mind? Talk about rare and yes it looks different.

E

Essence of Siege

UO is definitely more immersive than WoW for me for these reasons:

Crafting: No other game can you just be a crafter. You have to monster bash in wow and even if you mule the gold, you HAVE to level to get better at the crafting and eventually there's all the BoP recipes...

Classless System: I love the skillbased of UO. Want to be a necro/mage/tamer? Go for it. Want to be a Fighter/theif/Detective? Yeap, got that too. It's easy to switch classes. I understand the comment regarding getting into some action in WoW right away as opposed to bashing bunnies, but the time required to reach GM/120's in UO is a lot less for a NewB than reaching 80 in WoW. And it's easier to do Solo in UO.

Skill in PvP: Not that WoW PvP doesn't take skill, but it's a rock-paper-scissors game. Rogue/Mage beats Warlock, Warrior beats rogue/etc. There's exceptions, but it's fairly straight forward. In UO a skilled player at his template [not CLASS] has a chance to beat any other template.

Less Item Dependence: I despise how each tier of wow just sets you up to move to the next dungeon. Whee, I just completed Black Wing Lair, now I get to go to xxx. In UO once you hit your Max Template you can do any peerless, any champ without having to 'gear up' for the challenge. I really appreciate that. [Note: Is it easier to do with good gear? Yes, but the good gear also isn't a get lucky on a drop type of deal, you can do just fine with Barbed/Imbued crafted stuff].

That being said, UO has definitely seen it's heyday.

Here's to 'The Old Republic' from BioWare being a nice change from level, level, level, oh now I gotta level my gear.

T

Touchstone

I am the same as a lot of the people that have posted. Played UO from about 1998-2003, stopped for RL issues, then when was getting back into MMOs tried a few new ones over a couple years, returning to UO after each game failed to impress. Then switched over to WoW for about a year in 2007. I had fun, there is no doubt that it is a good game. But, inevitably, I was again drawn back to UO, despite it being a shadow of the game it was back in the day, and just started up on Siege and am having a great time.

To sum it up, I would underline the points already made:

WoW just seemed to rigid to me. You did the quests in one town so that you got to a high enough level to go to the next town (rinse and repeat), until you hit 70 (or 80 now). At which point you can either do endless BG's (which get old), or if your good enough you get to do endgame raids, which while they are fun are as drama-filled as anything in UO. It goes without saying that UO is anything but rigid, which is I think the main thing that pulls people back again and again. To repeat another common argument, my favorite character is my crafter, who does not bash any monsters. Not possible in WoW.

I would have to say from my experience, most people who played UO extensively will always "prefer" the sandbox style that introduced them to MMO's. Even if they have moved on. Which I dont intend to.

B

Bud_Weiser

In my opinion, the people who think that WoW is to rigid either aren't giving the game a chance or are giving up before they even hit the good content. I will give you that 1-20 is pretty boring, but it's more to get you comfortable with the game and it's approach.

And to the people who state that you have to be geared at level 80 just to get into the higher end dungeons... they just give up. With the LFG tool you can easily get geared to participate in the higher end game content. In my opinion the game does not start until you hit 80 and start hitting the Heroics. Raids are pretty easy to get into, instances are not that hard to learn.

UO has been dying. People will not admit it, but it is. How many people have open accounts these days? I would say 150k would be a pretty high number. Anything over that would be suprising. The developers killed that game, they continue to kill it. Why EA has not pulled the plug in this one yet is beyond me. Crap graphics, to many expansions... way to many bad ideas, no enough bug fixes.. I could go on for days on what's wrong with that game.

There are bugs that have been around since Pub 14. Why don't they fix them? I vote because they have sullied that game's code so badly that they don't know which end is up.

I for one can't wait for Cat to come out... the whole world is gonna change and it's gonna be cool as hell.

/get off my lawn
//played UO from Trammel Housing to that POS SE expansion.
///Hunters own Tamer/Mage/Bards

:stir:

Lord Lucifer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I moved an entire guild from uo to wow the guardians of valhalla of great lakes... we are now on the hydraxis server in wow allot came back to uo tho they didnt like the work you had to do in wow to get character up to speed. UO was way easier then wow imho more of a challenge... :gun:

S

Sturdy

I left UO in 04 and played up through a few of the bigger games including WoW. I left once I got my third toon to seventy and returned to UO. After almost seven years away I was pleased to find that UO is still a great game.
I do not have the time to raid or camp spawns endlessly so the level cap was the door out for me. UO does not have this problem. The game is pretty much endless and provides a much wider variety of gameplay. It is held together with spit and bailing wire, but a lot of people have worked hard on it for twelve years. WoW has a long way to go.

UO definitely lacks the polish of WoW but it is a much much deeper game and the PvP is more interesting to me. I always had a hard time with the no loot pvp system- takes the drama out of it.

I was on Maelstrom in WoW (my main was Squiddy) and Siege in UO.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went to wow back when it came out, and I honestly think the fact I played UO ruined WoW for me.

however it goes for any non-sandbox game I guess. I just hated you are always walked by your hand on what to do next in WoW. Quests lead you to the next zone you're suppose to be in, crafting tells you normally what to make next, instances tell you the level requirements. I dunno, to me it takes the away the sense of thrill and just tells you what to do, so you do it... then it tells you another thing to do.

So I got into PvP, and made it to warlord before I quit. PvP was pretty fun back then I'll admit. I tried it again a few months ago (levels myself to 80 as a shammy again), but it seems PvP is all about stun locks and character manipulation now, so that made it no fun for me. Couldn't tell you how many times in eye of the storm or something another Shammy or druid would just toss me over the cliff (we were told no character manipulation other than mind control could do that...). Or running the flag in the middle of your group, than all of a sudden a death knight pulls you into the group of enemies... yeah, item based games are not based on skill, this I know. but things like that drove the skill level to zero =/

/Rant

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the UO to WoW jump viable? Are there any former UO players who have thoughts on WoW? I'm considering making the switch.
Ive been playing WoW for quite a long time now. The jump was easy really. There is soo much to do and so much lore to get caught up in its not even funny. There are a few things that take getting used to , like not dropping things on the ground, no housing and certainly less of a sandbox feel but dont let all the naysayers mislead you. If you use your imagination there are plenty of 'sandboxish' things going on.