• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO to WoW

L

Lairkingo

Is the UO to WoW jump viable? Are there any former UO players who have thoughts on WoW? I'm considering making the switch.

E

Eldorian

I know a LOT of UO players who have made the switch, I quit UO right before pub16, so I didn't really play WoW right when I quit UO... but I do know it took me a bit to get used to the fact that crafting skills work differently, healing works differently (you gain by making bandages, not by actually healing yourself), and there's a global cooldown on drinking potions.

Roleplaying in WoW is nothing like in UO, player run events happen sometimes but are few and far between.

No housing of course :(

However, gameplay, PVP, etc all kick UO's butt in my opinion. The storylines in the game are great and the environments really immerse you into the game. The boss battles when you raid take a lot of strategy and planning and overall, it's just a great game. There's a reason why WoW has 10 million subscribers.

Just my opinion, I'm sure each UO player, ex UO player, WoW player, and ex WoW player each have a different one. It all just boils down to what you're looking for in a game.

If you decide to join - let me know and if you join the Vek'nilash server we can hook you up in the Stratics guild.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love UO, but WoW is just downright fun. To me, they are just totally different types of games.

Playing WoW felt very natural to me, but that was more likely due to the detail and polish of WoW.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I still play both, but WoW lately has been a lot more fun than UO, even if I still have 3 UO accounts heh.

B

Blade_Thugluv

i still play both and own 5 uo accounts 2 wow accounts.

C

Cynewulf

I play both as well. WoW more (okay, a lot more) than UO.

The major differences have already been mentioned, but I should point out that one of the huge differences is that you don't have to spend three hours killing bunnies before you can do anything. You jump in and play and learn right away. At level one your skills and abilities are simple enough that you don't have to study what you're doing. You just play. As you gain abilities, you do so at a measure pace so the transition is easy, and you do it while playing.

One key point is that money comes in handy. Unlike UO, don't become a blacksmith. My recommendation is to become a miner/skinner, and sell what you gather at the auction house (don't vendor the ore/leather). Once I figured out this key, I created a character who did only that. The character is now at 42, mounted, and with over 900 gold. May not sound like much from the UO point of view, but trust me, it's pretty decent.

D

Dor of Sonoma

*tackles Cynewulf with a flying hug*

Sorry! Nothing whatsoever to do with WoW, but man! It is so good to see you, my friend :-D

C

Cynewulf

*tackles Cynewulf with a flying hug*

Sorry! Nothing whatsoever to do with WoW, but man! It is so good to see you, my friend :-D
*hugs Dor back*

I posted over on Sonoma shortly before the old database went down, basically saying that I work in Sonoma now. When I get more time, I'll post again over there, new or old, depending on how things shake out around here.

:pint:

L

Lord Abernathy

i think that the only thing i kinda miss in UO is the housing, otherwise, WoW > UO

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the UO to WoW jump viable? Are there any former UO players who have thoughts on WoW? I'm considering making the switch.
I started playing UO in early summer of 2004, and it was the only MMORPG I had ever played. I started playing WoW in July last year with some other UO refugees, and have only logged on to UO in the time since to check my houses and do a bit of custom housing/deco.

I still have my 3 UO accounts open with their houses, but I am thinking about closing them since I play so rarely.

The 2 games are very different. What I got spoiled by in WoW in a hurry was game stability & performance, constant updates, and regular new content/events, without being nickeled and dimed to death for every little bit, as with EA.

What I miss about UO is the skills flexibility, how crafting skills can be worked fully, independent of monster bashing, the freedom to go where you want, and be able to ride a mount pretty much after you log in the first time. And of course, I always liked UO's isometric view. However, for me, the charms of UO got lost in the poor support.

WoW is good fun though, and after all, that is what games are about.

-Skylark

C

ChessyGoddess

I've been playing UO since January 2001 and just recently (about 3 months ago) decided to try WoW. My friends talked me into it so blame them! I wasnt sure I'd like WoW at first but as it turns out... I love it. I have a level 65 Night Elf Hunter who combines the 2 classes I loved most in UO, archer and tamer. Its great! The only thing I miss is the housing in UO. If WoW had housing it would be perfect!

I still keep my 2 UO accounts active but I havent logged in either one in a month. I've tried but I cant patch so I'm about ready to just cancel them. I posted about my patching problem and if I dont get some help from the devs in a day or 2 I'm just gonna cancel them I guess.

K

Kyle

I'm Finnalising the move, played both in the last 2 years but am selling my main acct for UO worth over half a billion Gold for my WoW acct worth 200gp LOL

With the current stupidity in UO I cant see the game lasting mutch longer anyhow. Get out before the game falls down around you!!!

F

Fabienne

There are a TON of UO players in WoW.
I have several of them in my guild on Maelstrom.
Heck, there are several Siege Perilous members on Maelstrom that arent in my guild too.

Oh & I am in a guild on Anetheron with UO players too :D

S

Starla_Rae

My husband and I played UO for 7+ years. We have finally let go of it after playing WoW for the last few months. It was a tough decision but it was just well .. time for change. I do miss my friends, but we keep in touch via Q. A great deal of players have made the switch or play both. There is nothing that says you can't play both. Our houses on UO haven't even taken the hit although our accounts have been closed. I have a few scavengers hunting them for IDOC. There are a few things that will point towards UO players in WoW. One is.. instead of typing /emote when talking in forums we still put *emote* .. Old habits die hard.

Good Luck if you have decided to try out WoW.

Shout Out to all the Catskills peeps!

F

Fabienne

Funny you should mention the emote thing. I always typed *hugs* and things like that in my guild chat... now people in my guild who never played UO before type in emotes like that too. LOL
:gee:

S

Starla_Rae

Funny you should mention the emote thing. I always typed *hugs* and things like that in my guild chat... now people in my guild who never played UO before type in emotes like that too. LOL
:gee:

Isn't it amazing how things like that catch on. I type emotes like that on my parenting message board and now all the mommies are starting to pick up on it as well. It's quite amusing.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My sister and her husband quit uo and sold their accounts and went to WOW. they tried to get me too but I just like uo better. Now the graphics are much better on Wow then on uo.

I

Ishtar

I play both, definatley do not miss the drama of UO. I am probably getting rid of two of my 3 UO accounts and play WoW more than UO. I got tired of the BS etc. I stay in UO as a reporter and for a few select friends.

V

vixen4u

My husband and I quit play UO in february 2007 we had been playing UO for 10yrs at that time we gave it all up. We followed a group of friends we had made and we are still together having fun. I dont know why it took us so long to try WOW but glad we did. None of our old friends play UO anymore they all moved onto other things. I come to the boards every now and then to see what I am not missing.

I always recommend that if you try the game that you try it with some friends. All games can get boring and frustrating if you have no friends to play with

S

Saris

I played wow twice alst time I played it was for about 4 months but I cant shake the feeling that its a amusement park ride, I still need the openess of UO to keep playing, I get bored with every game in time but UO is the best game too hang out in when there is nothing to do.

WOW is a great game, but its just not for me, I always come back to UO after all its the first mmo ever, and its still going.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
still play UO and WoW. It is an adjustmet, but its a fast adjustment. and its good fun. Questing doesnt suck. you dont need to buy gold to get started. quests provide you with proper gear for your level. the custom UI lets you mod the client to your advantage (i know KR lets you do this too, but it has alot of catching up to do). The first time i killed something 10 times my size it felt awesome. the world is huge. theres ALWAYS something to do.

WoW is awesome.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing I would miss if I switched to WoW is my houses. I love to decorate. I know it's probably because I am a girl but I would miss not being able to do that.

B

Blade_Thugluv

Yea i also love the housing. However i dont think anyone can really truely quit UO... I have tryed 3 times. I even tryed selling all my accounts. When i last quit UO and came to WoW i sold all the UO accounts i had...... Guess what?! That didnt stop me i now own my 2 main accounts again after getting them back for basiclly free!! No items but still :)

Both games have there ups and downs and UO is alittle more open then wow which i like and the house bonus is a plus.

yet i like WoW's BG's and graphics.

~Blade

D

Dewyn

I played UO from 2000 to 2005. Started out on the Europa server (hence my old Stratics name "Dewyn of Europa"), and moved to Siege Perilous around 2003, where I was in the guild I^A. That's where I met Fabienne... and I'm now in her guild CRG over on Maelstrom.

The move from UO to WoW was very easy for me, and I can honestly say that, aside from some of my old friends, I don't miss ANYTHING about UO!

K

krel

Yea i also love the housing. However i dont think anyone can really truely quit UO... I have tryed 3 times. I even tryed selling all my accounts. When i last quit UO and came to WoW i sold all the UO accounts i had...... Guess what?! That didnt stop me i now own my 2 main accounts again after getting them back for basiclly free!! No items but still :)

Both games have there ups and downs and UO is alittle more open then wow which i like and the house bonus is a plus.

yet i like WoW's BG's and graphics.

~Blade
I have to disagree. I got tired of all the bugs and cheats in UO. Plus the fact that KR looked like they hired kindergarteners to draw the graphics. I turned off my accounts and gave away my 3 houses, including a full castle. If they had left it the way it was and just fixed all the years old bugs I would probably still be there. Anyway, I really think you will like WOW better. You can always get the free 10 day trial and see for yourself.

L

Lucy

I just recently quit UO to play WoW. To me, i've done everything I wanted to in UO and find it boring and the drama tedious. I recently gave away all my good stuff to friends, all my houses and closed all but one account.

DO IT! and don't look back, you'll have way more fun in wow :)

(Oh and play horde.. they are more fun than the good guys ;) )

T

Talishara

After a year of not playing UO or any other rp game, I finally made the decision to try out WOW, and I am happy I did. The graphics are alot better, its easier to rp, the quests are a ton of fun, and really.. the only thing I miss about uo is owning a house and the friends I had made. In the good ol' days of uo, I had originally started on Great Lakes, moved to Atlantic, and ended up on Origin (as Talishara). I still have all of my uo accounts, though none of them are active. I am looking forward to playing WoW. Right now I'm just testing servers to see which one I like the best before actually settling down to one. I would love to meet up with some uo players! Its been quite lonely so far lol.

Tali

L

Lucy

I play lightenings Blade with some other UO peeps, and Twisted Nethers which is a rp/pvp server.

A

AthenePac

My husband, kid and I left UO for WOW in March. Our UO accounts are still active becuz of our houses, but as the months go on we care less and less about even those. When i don't care about my houses at all anymore, I might log onto UO and speedhack and script like everyone else in pvp, and I might enjoy UO again. It's kind of a catch 22 though because if I go have fun in UO then I will care about my accounts again, and have to stop cheating, then will be outrun by cheaters again and will end up back in wow. So I say why bother, I will just go play wow wherew I can use as many add-ons as I want and its not cheating, and I am not outrun by speedhackers right and left like in UO.

I like the the pvp in UO and it's more social and it doesn't force me to kill monsters or npc's all day, take me months to level up a char, and it lets me change my chars skills. The graphics and being able to fly around in wow, and the battlegrounds or cool, and raiding is gettiong sort of fun in that its a challange to get like 25 ppl on the same page to coordinate killing a monster. Wow is also cool because it's filled with tons of ppl, not a ghost town like UO, and wow doesn't ban innocent ppl and lets 75% of the people that are cheating keep playing.

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
played wow when it came out till a couple weeks after BC ...i hated what it did to the game ...it became one big grind fest.

I enjoy UO more i love the comunity and i have loads of freinds there and find it easier to meet people then in the often messy world chats

A

Aserian

You need to all come to AOC uo and wow are not even in the ball park having played both I see AOC in a couple of years out doing them all and wow is just a cartoon hehe laters!

Esmeralda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I´m playing UO since 2001. From time to time I´m feeling a bit bored and try something new. Last time (some months ago) I spend one month in WOW. It was a fun game, just perfect when you come home from work and your brain hurts - but that was all.
I prefer having my own playstyle / skill-template, the option to do a lot more than fighting and killing and of course I sooo do love housing in UO, even if the graphics are dusty and sometimes ugly!

All in all my WOW trip was nice, but I´ll stick to UO :heart:

R

Rejject

WOW, I can member alot of these name's from UO stratics and/or getting speedhacked and script wtfpwd....:p athene FL,:bowdown: i am from pac was/am in lop (dont know, have not logged in to uo in like 4 months or so) and to be truthful dont miss it after 10 years. The friends i made in UO are many and i could sit here and type everyone of them up to say hi, and yes I do miss that part of the UO world but thats about it, I like WOW because of the graphics, game play style,not having to worry about getting script killed. Yes you have to watch out for the roaming Alli that comes by and says hi 10, 15, 20 levels higher then you but hey thats part of the game and realm that I am on (Mal-Ganis). UO was a great game in its day but like so many people have said bugs, hacks, EasyUO, no one in EA caring or making it feel as though they cared about the game, poor patchs and so on it got old. I do have to admit I do miss the part about pack ratting every single thing you could get your hands on (UO people know what Im talking about). Heck when i first started WOW within the first 2 weeks i had a full bank an was asking everyone I know what to do. LOL how sad....:blushing: and then the whole money, thing man that was a hugh change, 1 gold for an item when I was use to paying 13 million gold for one item LOL

My personal opinion is WOW is a much better game come on over and PVP awhile you'll like it.

To all my friends from UO. Hiya and Hello from Shadow Beast/Stormy/Franz/Rizuto/Queen Shelly/Silver Fox

If you want to come to Mal look me up I can be found in BG's with my Twinked out Warlock Iwantblood or my other toon Rejject.

Take care everyone and see you in the field :D :next:

E

Emuishere

I prefer the PvP aspect of WoW better than UO. Once I got used to the camera and interface playing UO is more agitating than anything else.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still play both, but WoW lately has been a lot more fun than UO, even if I still have 3 UO accounts heh.
Same here. I am currently playing WoW with nearly a dozen former UO players.

*waves as Fabienne* hehe.

I still have my 3 UO accounts open and pop in to do custom housing, which WoW does not have.

WoW is a MUCH better supported, and better performing game than UO, but it has a lot more restrictions than UO, in terms of what you can do & when, while UO has been described as a big "sandbox" and that is pretty much true.

The big thing I like about UO over WoW is that a crafter can be JUST a crafter, and isn't required to go out monster bashing to progress in a craft.

-Skylark

E

Emuishere

Can definitely see your perspective with the crafter thing, I'd love to have a mule in WoW as I have played both overall I still prefer WoW. I like that the restrictions for violating the Terms of Use are actually enforced. The housing, I don't miss that much.

My big thing in UO was the drama, not that it doesn't exist in WoW but I see far less of it and I played UO for about 10 yrs. I still have my accounts but have been slowly clearing out 2 of them to get rid of them. Now when I log bag into UO I have a terrible time with the graphics and the interface. Kingdom Reborn has way too many bugs and is mediocre at best when compared to WoW. All of the development has gone to Warhammer online, so I doubt UO will be around for too much longer.

L

Lag

Warhammer will just be another AoC, which is too bad, considering it had the makings of a great game. Unless they make a new UO, I dont think theyll be getting far in mmo's.

IMHO, darkfallonline.com is win (if it ever comes out).

L

Lady_Mina

I've played UO since 2000...i left UO in 2006 for WoW.
And then now 2008...i left WoW for UO...

WoW's good things :
+ graphics
+ the races !
+ quests with clear clues where to start looking
+ active community
+ loads of item database websites that tell you where to get what
+ PvP is quite fair
+ perma ban for goldsellers , bot farmers and bug exploiters...so you defenatly know the customer support is not on auto pilot.
+ GM's actualy respond
+ a lot of opportunity for roleplay
+ the monthly payment is cheaper then UO
+ world channels wich allow you to advertice and sell your items or when you are looking for items. + the looking for group channel.
+ active forum with loads of fun topics.
+ friend's list , wich makes it easier to track your friends
+ a cook is actualy usefull in WoW

WoW's bad things :
- 99% of the people on PvP servers are total pricks and most likely 14 years old.
- you need addons to block goldsellers their spam messages
- the lack of 'rare' colored pets...rare pets often look like any other pet...wich actualy doesn't make them special at all..
- class balance...it's never balanced...each class get it's time to shine and to be OP for a month.
- unexpected server problems , wich can happen...but it usualy takes a few hours before they get it up and running again
- No houses and no rare items...
- At level 70 things kinda get boring...
- Your account needs to be active to post or reply on the official forum
- the forum is usualy full of whinners and things easily end up in flaming.
- after a few month being inactive your characters are deleted...
- playing a class that has no healing , forces you to take 'first aid' as skill...too bad the bandies don't quite do what you want them to do while you're in combat + they have a cooldown..(wtf?)

UO's good things :
+ the depth..there's no other game like it.
+ dragons and nightmares as pets.
+ Houses and rare items
+ more clothing
+ recolorable armor
+ people are friendlier on the forums.
+ you don't need an active account to post on the forum
+ your characters are still there after being inactive for YEARS.
+ UO never seem to get boring...cause there is no 'endgame'.
+ bandies actualy work and you can apply them in combat without a cooldown.

UO's bad things :
- customer support and GM responds are on Auto pilot..
- takes ages before they do something about bug exploiters.
- the monthly payment is hella expensive for what you get
- no friend's list..wich makes to hard to track your friends...you need to have their icq or MSN to contact them if they're not on the same screen as you.
- trading at the bank has become quite difficult...people rarely react and there's not as much people as there used to be...
- a cook is useless...they make stuff nearly noone wants to buy...
- the discrimination of 'elven only'...yet i see no 'human only' stuff.

The thing that keeps me in UO...is houses , rares , decorating , dragons and nightmares.

But somehow i'm starting to miss WoW....the races , the quests.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
+ a cook is actualy usefull in WoW
Ha...I roleplayed a cook in UO for quite a while...in spite of it being a useless skill. The first skill I got to cap in WoW was...cooking!

The thing that keeps me in UO...is houses , rares , decorating , dragons and nightmares.
The UO 2D horse is the cutest thing! Probably my favorite mob in the game.

Custom housing is the primary reason my accounts are still open.

-Skylark

L

Lag

WoW's bad things :
- 99% of the people on PvP servers are total pricks and most likely 14 years old.
- you need addons to block goldsellers their spam messages
- the lack of 'rare' colored pets...rare pets often look like any other pet...wich actualy doesn't make them special at all..
- class balance...it's never balanced...each class get it's time to shine and to be OP for a month.
- unexpected server problems , wich can happen...but it usualy takes a few hours before they get it up and running again
- No houses and no rare items...
- At level 70 things kinda get boring...
- Your account needs to be active to post or reply on the official forum
- the forum is usually full of whiners and things easily end up in flaming.
- after a few month being inactive your characters are deleted...
- playing a class that has no healing , forces you to take 'first aid' as skill...too bad the bandies don't quite do what you want them to do while you're in combat + they have a cooldown..(wtf?)

I'm sorry, but most of those are completely untrue. Your characters are NEVER deleted, even if you are perma-banned. 2nd, most people have more time played at 70 than before 70; the real thing to do at 70 is either raid or pvp in arena's or bg's.
You need to have an active acc to post because it's such a massive game. Imagine having people posting who have no idea what theyre talking about, or who have never played, or people who have canceled that want opportunities for giveaways or things like the beta optin.

You pretty much nailed the forum thing, tho; but the customer service forum is a haven.

Bandaids have a CD because then there's no point of healers. Why heal when you can channel for 10% of your health continuously? Also, the food system in WoW is what is good. You can get food that will get you from 5% to 100% in 20 seconds for next to nothing. There are a ton of rare items, also. Exclusive mounts that drop that are only a handful per server, rare pets, legendary items, etc.

Also, as for 99% of people on pvp servers are 14 year olds, I take offense. I'm 15. Boo hoo. Roll pve (I'm sorry) if you don't like it; all my characters are on pvp realms, and many times I dont get killed unwantedly and many times, the opposite faction helps me quest. Yes, there are 14 yr old pricks. But don't stereotype them into pvp servers. Also, server problems are generally not blizzards fault. They have scheduled maintenence every Tuesdays if needed, and the only time a realm will ever be down is if it literally crashed or there is a game breaking issue, and they usually reimburse game time lost if it's a major crash.

Rare pets are also not true. Prior 1.9 or 2.0 (I dont remember), each pet had unique stats. Other classes (not hunter) complained and got them normalized. Blame the player base.

Also, there are about 10-20 different looks/skins per type of pet as seen on http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/

Also, as for gold spammers, you even said it was a pro they ban them. I dont usually get more than maybe 1 message per day unless I'm in a major city, and then you simply right click their name and you'll never hear from that character again.

Sorry for responding if I sounded harsh, just a good # of things what you said are generally due to the player, not the game, or just plain wrong.

E

Emuishere

Well said Lag, I agree with the stereotypical PvP thing as I have known adult players (like 20 and up) that act more immature than my 6 year old. I also recommend that people familiarize themselves with the Harassment Policy, certain behaviors Blizzard will take action for, the one incident I had an issue with another player where it was violated a GM contacted me and I felt the issue was handled very well. UO no longer has in game support that good.