• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO returner with taming questions

AtomicPunk

Visitor
This may be a dumb question, but poisoning is under combat ratings and discordance is under lore and knowledge, so can you have poisoning and discordance? For your regular toon, poisoning is under thieving. I know we are talking about my pet, but I am still new to all of this and I am still working on my first Cu. Thank you!

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Both abilities are under magery for pets so answer is no, you can only have one active magic ability.

AtomicPunk

Visitor
I put Poisoning and Venomous Bite on my Cu. Special Abilities, Special Moves and Area Affect Abilities disappeared. It shows I have Magical Abilities left. So, can I pick a Magical Ability?

Attachments

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do all pet training on Test Center before committing your build on a prodo shard.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I put Poisoning and Venomous Bite on my Cu. Special Abilities, Special Moves and Area Affect Abilities disappeared. It shows I have Magical Abilities left. So, can I pick a Magical Ability?
Poisoning is a magic so you will lose it if you pick another magic.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately you can not add AI because they have bleed. A Triton can get a Poison ability, AI, and Chiv.
You can now put Chiv or another magic like Mysticism on it but the Poison Melee will go away but the poison skill will raise and be used with Venomous Bite.

They kill stuff but not as well as Chiv and AI.

Here is what you can do with poison on a Cu:

How to access poisoning abilities on your Cu Sidhe.

If you choose Poison as a Magic choice before you put any abilities on the pet, You open some new choices.

Aura of Nausea
Trains the creature in the Aura of Nausea area effect, causing nearby targets to suffer a reduction in swing speed, hit chance, defense chance and faster casting.
Poison Breath
Trains the creature in the Poison Breath area effect, causing lethal poison to nearby targets.
Essence of Disease
Trains the creature in the Essence of Disease area effect, causing poison damage to nearby targets.

Venomous Bite
Trains the creature in the Venomous Bite special ability, causing the creature to poison all nearby targets.
Vicious Bite
Trains the creature in the Vicious Bite special ability, causing the creature to inflict a festering wound on approaching targets that does direct damage over time.

You can only choose one of these abilities!!!

After you choose One. You can not choose any more abilities. You can not choose an ability and then choose poison and get these choices. You can not get Armor Ignore and one of these on your Cu.

You can choose one and your Cu will have a new ability.

After you choose one of these. You can now choose a different Magic. You lose poisoning but not the ability.

5 more things you can try on your Cu.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This may be a dumb question, but poisoning is under combat ratings and discordance is under lore and knowledge, so can you have poisoning and discordance? For your regular toon, poisoning is under thieving. I know we are talking about my pet, but I am still new to all of this and I am still working on my first Cu. Thank you!
Next one, make a new thread with your idea of intended targets or intended build to try out. We can give advice while the pet bonds and you can then decide what you like when it is bonded.

AtomicPunk

Visitor
You can not choose an ability and then choose poison and get these choices
I chose poisoning and then after chose venomous bite. I am still boggled as to why special moves and area affect disappeared. So, you choose area affect before special abilities? I'm writing all this down and to see if you train in a specific order. I tried to raise base damage first and it would not let me and I keep trying to raise it, but nothing.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bleed is a special move. It counts against the total specials a pet can have. Once you add poison as a magic a cu can only get one more thing.

I can't copy the move caps right now.

The reason is a cu has bleed.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From here: Animal Training – Ultima Online

Selecting a new school of magic is not to be considered lightly, it will remove any innate magical ability the pet may have
. You may only select a total of Three options from 5 possibilities over these four categories:
  • 1 magical ability
  • 1 special ability
  • 2 special moves
  • 1 area effect
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Bleed special move.
2. Magic
3. A poison area or ability

Since bleed is a special move and AI is a special move, You cant get a magic and a special ability or area.

That is why the special moves disappear when you add poison to a Cu.

@Grace of Minoc Copy to TC is back but there are no Pet advancement gates.

Last edited:

AtomicPunk

Visitor
Thanks for the great info. Much appreciated! I will show off what I have done to my Cu, when finished. Then, you can tell me if I did a good job :)

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.... i'm still playing as if the game was in 2010 . . . i suppose i had better conform and learn what the heck ya'll are talking about... i've been dreading learning the new taming system thing. :(

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
.... i'm still playing as if the game was in 2010 . . . i suppose i had better conform and learn what the heck ya'll are talking about... i've been dreading learning the new taming system thing. :(
The new taming system is a bit like crafting now...
- there are generally use pets (ones that do pretty good for most encounters) or content specific pets (ones that really excel in certain encounters)
- starting with the right base pet makes a big difference
- training in the right order makes a big difference

Ultimately having a plan before you get started, doing your research, asking questions and testing if TC is available will all improve your final product.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new taming system is a bit like crafting now...
- there are generally use pets (ones that do pretty good for most encounters) or content specific pets (ones that really excel in certain encounters)
- starting with the right base pet makes a big difference
- training in the right order makes a big difference

Ultimately having a plan before you get started, doing your research, asking questions and testing if TC is available will all improve your final product.

with that being said.... i'm terrified that i will screw up with advancing my pet. :( ............ what should i do first in molding my greater dragon?

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Your greater dragon is 5 slots already so it cant be trained anything further. Check out uo-cah.com there is some nice guides there about almost all recent additions to the game.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
with that being said.... i'm terrified that i will screw up with advancing my pet. :( ............ what should i do first in molding my greater dragon?
Most likely your current greater dragon will not be eligible for the new system. Pets that start out at 5 control slots can’t be trained up.

Do some reading about pet training here : Home | uo-cah.com

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You can’t really loose anything experimenting with pet training as long as you don’t apply power scrolls and don’t use legacy pets. Tame something new and experiment. Even without power scrolls, a 100 skill pet can be quite effective as you get the feel of the new system. I watched the uo-cah.com video on training a pre-patch nightmare. Even without actually having a mare to train, this gives a good sense of what to do. The Triton guide also gives some ideas. Also look on this forum for builds. Pawain has a number threads he started to allow discussions on specific pet builds.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can’t really loose anything experimenting with pet training as long as you don’t apply power scrolls and don’t use legacy pets. Tame something new and experiment. Even without power scrolls, a 100 skill pet can be quite effective as you get the feel of the new system. I watched the uo-cah.com video on training a pre-patch nightmare. Even without actually having a mare to train, this gives a good sense of what to do. The Triton guide also gives some ideas. Also look on this forum for builds. Pawain has a number threads he started to allow discussions on specific pet builds.

awesome. thank you guys. :)

AtomicPunk

Visitor
Thanks for the great info. Much appreciated! I will show off what I have done to my Cu, when finished. Then, you can tell me if I did a good job :)
This is what I have so far. I just need to get Healing to 120. I have 230 points left to use and would love suggestions. Thank you!
River.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Follow the guide next time.

Did that dog start at 3 slots?

You need 700 strength.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Assuming you have 1 more round of training, getting the resists to 365 total would be good, str to 700, then int to 370. Regens need work too. Don't forget max base damage in the final round!
If this is the final round, I really have no idea. It seems like some points were spent in the wrong places. So, I'm really hoping this is not the final round.

AtomicPunk

Visitor
Follow the guide next time.

Did that dog start at 3 slots?
Yes, it started at 3 slots and I am on 2nd training. How many trainings are there? I went through the training process, then built it up to 100/100 then started adding my points. When I started the thread I asked if I could have anything else with poisoning.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok. It looks like you did the abilities and scrolls first.

You should do those last in case you mess up something next time.

Use the 230 points like this:

Set str to 700. 120 points.
Set Intel to 370. 46 points
Set the Stamina Regen to 5. 60 points
Use the rest of the points in Mana.

Yes, it started at 3 slots and I am on 2nd training.
You should be on your first training cycle. It says 4 =>5 on the lore. It turns to 4 when you add the first item.

On next round you should do this:

Set Base damage per second to max
Set resists: 80 80 75 50 80 , is what I recommend.
Set mana regen to 30
Set HP regen to 20

Thats the Base dog complete.

Now decide how much Mana you want. 500 600 your choice.
Use the rest in HP. It will have a lot of HP

Since you did not choose a Magic, it will have 600 points available that a Dog with Magic does not have.

It will kill stuff. Just not as quickly as an AI/Chiv dog.

AtomicPunk

Visitor
Ok. It looks like you did the abilities and scrolls first.

You should do those last in case you mess up something next time.

Use the 230 points like this:

Set str to 700. 120 points.
Set Intel to 370. 46 points
Set the Stamina Regen to 5. 60 points
Use the rest of the points in Mana.
Okay, thanks Pawain, I did exactly like you said and now am in the training process again.
On next round you should do this:

Set Base damage per second to max
Set resists: 80 80 75 50 80 , is what I recommend.
Set mana regen to 30
Set HP regen to 20

Thats the Base dog complete.
Thank you very much!