• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Uo Rares Collector's Stratics Support Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Hello all,

You all did a wonderful job in supporting Stratics with their Monthly expenses last month and set a very good example for the rest of the boards.

So Proud of this Community! Well Done.

We discussed a bit of a challenge at the end of the thread that we could put out to the rest of the population to encourage everyone to chip in just a little bit towards the support.

We also wanted to make it a bit fun as well.

Here is the concept and where you come in.

We would like to run a contest for a BILLION in gold to be given away every 6 months.

In the Months that we reach or exceed the goal a person would receive one entry for every $10 worth of Support donation

Example if you donated a $100 and then goal was met for the month you would receive 10 entries towards the Prize!

In addition each month 20 People will earn a 5 mil prize for participating.

What I am looking for from the community is two things in addition to your normal support donation. :)

1. I am looking for donations towards the Billion in gold on Atlantic.

2. I would like to see the 5 mil prize deliverable on any shard so as we pay those out we would be looking for people to help get people paid on the various shards at the end of each month.

Donation towards the billion in gold can be placed in one of my mailboxes at my house or larger donations can be made via vendor by contacting me on ICQ.

I will launch this challenge in the main forum once we have collected the Billion in Gold.

Let's see how quick we can get this done!

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Great start we already have 200 mil committed towards the grand prize and we are in the process of collecting it.

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Does anyone else see potential complications with this and the ToS for UO? You're asking people to give money to a third party in order to potentially attain in game content...

I would check with @Mesanna first before going forward

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Does anyone else see potential complications with this and the ToS for UO? You're asking people to give money to a third party in order to potentially attain in game content...

I would check with @Mesanna first before going forward
I see no issues -> Next

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
*Swats Fly*
Excuse me? You're better than that, I would ask that you do not dismiss what I say regarding this as the facts are simple.
1. Give money.
2. Receive ingame currency.

Regardless of the reason whatsoever, that is the basis of RMT in a nutshell. And unless you have the authority from Broadsword Entertainment to legally RMT a currency within their own game. Then it breaches the ToS of Ultima Online.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Excuse me? You're better than that, I would ask that you do not dismiss what I say regarding this as the facts are simple.
1. Give money.
2. Receive ingame currency.

Regardless of the reason whatsoever, that is the basis of RMT in a nutshell. And unless you have the authority from Broadsword Entertainment to legally RMT a currency within their own game. Then it breaches the ToS of Ultima Online.
*Swats Flay Again*

I appreciate your random opinion but it's time for you to move on.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
All it takes is stating you have ran it by @Mesanna and it's been cleared. I'm just trying to make you aware that this could be seen as a direct violation of the ToS.
*Swats another fly*

*grabs a broom from the Tavern Keeper and sweeps the rest of the dung out the door*

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am unsure if it is against stratics and in-game rules to do this. But my opinion is that it is an awesome idea! Of course, being if it against the rules, there is nothing we can do about it.

I'll donate 250M for the 6-month lotto.

Please contact me a time/date to meet you up at so i can give you this gold. :)

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I am unsure if it is against stratics and in-game rules to do this. But my opinion is that it is an awesome idea! Of course, being if it against the rules, there is nothing we can do about it.

I'll donate 250M for the 6-month lotto.

Please contact me a time/date to meet you up at so i can give you this gold. :)
Thanks Alexander!

Coins are on the Guildstone Vendor for you to buy.

We have already reached 500 mil folks great job!

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
game time is allowed to be sold for gold on these forums, which is basically buying gold. so i see no problem with this charitable fundraiser.
Game time codes are in game content licensed by UO/Broadsword/EA therefore you can trade it in game for any other in game content. The currency transaction for the code was done through UO. This has to do with a raffle ticket being purchased through a third party source with Real Life Currency in order to attain in game content.

All I am asking is to run it by the higher ups and should it be approved then by all means move forward.

*edited to clarify

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Game time codes are in game content licensed by UO/Broadsword/EA therefore you can trade it in game for any other in game content. The currency transaction for the code was done through UO. This has to do with a raffle ticket being purchased through a third party source with Real Life Currency in order to attain in game content.

All I am asking is to run it by the higher ups and should it be approved then by all means move forward.

*edited to clarify
*Swats another fly*

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aiden and Peekay,

No one on this forum has to answer to either of you. If you feel that something needs to be sent to the proper authorities, then do so. What you will not continue to do in the Rares forum at least, is disrupt other peoples posts with accusations and antagonistic comments.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
As far as the ROC/TOS is concerned I *think* this is ok, people aren't paying gold directly they are entering a contest through donations. Not everyone who donates will win. We are not "buying" anything. I think this one gets a pass. Same as the Relay for Life that some shards have for cancer research and that's been going on for years. Again it's people trading gold for money which will be donated to a cause. We've also had a few disaster relief events where people donated gold that would be turned into cash for the red cross or other foundations. RMT? Maybe. Something to turn a blind eye to? Definitely.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Aiden and Peekay,

No one on this forum has to answer to either of you. If you feel that something needs to be sent to the proper authorities, then do so. What you will not continue to do in the Rares forum at least, is disrupt other peoples posts with accusations and antagonistic comments.
Get over yourself. I had a genuine concern and interest in this matter simply because it cuts it so close to the edge in regards to breaching the ToS for the video game and as well breaking stratics rules. Which from what I have seen isn't a set of rules that really applies to a "mod-friendly" group of people. I wont speak for Aiden, but for myself I had a small, now completely gone, interest in donating gold to this and I all wanted was Nabin to verify that he had taken the right steps and gone through the proper channels, @Mesanna and in general Broadsword personnel, so that I wouldn't be contributing to illegal RMT. And you're saying that I don't have a right to ask for an answer regarding that? The only reason for someone to immediately dismiss and refuse to answer such a question, is if something shady (or at least they feel it is somewhat shady) is going on and they would rather just ignore it and hope that it goes away.

Better screenshot this post since I'm 90% certain it's going to be deleted. God forbid someone speaks out against the "Lordship of Mods".

Last edited:

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
As far as the ROC/TOS is concerned I *think* this is ok, people aren't paying gold directly they are entering a contest through donations. Not everyone who donates will win. We are not "buying" anything. I think this one gets a pass. Same as the Relay for Life that some shards have for cancer research and that's been going on for years. Again it's people trading gold for money which will be donated to a cause. We've also had a few disaster relief events where people donated gold that would be turned into cash for the red cross or other foundations. RMT? Maybe. Something to turn a blind eye to? Definitely.
I still believe that this is something that should be run across at LEAST Mesanna's desk before hand. That way the donator's know what they're getting themselves into before hand. The last thing UO needs is SOMER Blink (EVE Online) incident.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since none took me up on my 5m last donation cycle (or I never heard back from them), I'll donate the 100m I was going to use. You can use it for either the large prize or small prize.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Since none took me up on my 5m last donation cycle (or I never heard back from them), I'll donate the 100m I was going to use. You can use it for either the large prize or small prize.
Thank you friend. I will put a coin on the guildstone vendor for you to pick up at your leisure. !

Arianna_GL

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Peekay and Aiden are bringing up valid points, why are their posts just brushed off by Nabin ? And the fact that someone asks a question, and are brushed off and treated the way peekay and Aiden are is sad.

Also how is there any way of knowing that the gold is drawn in the right manner, and not just "given to a friend" who surprise surprise WINS !!!!

This idea seems great and all, these things always seem to go side ways...

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Peekay and Aiden are bringing up valid points, why are their posts just brushed off by Nabin ? And the fact that someone asks a question, and are brushed off and treated the way peekay and Aiden are is sad.
Actually friend these are not "Valid Points"

They are in fact Silly Stupid Drama

Similar to your statement

Also how is there any way of knowing that the gold is drawn in the right manner, and not just "given to a friend" who surprise surprise WINS !!!!
The very best way for them and you to handle your personal concerns is to not participate.

What this thread is about is a group of people who as a community want to get the ball rolling on supporting a forums which we all use and love.

There is no place for stupid silly drama in that.

Now my arm is getting tired of swatting flies so lets kindly get back on point to what this is about. All conspiracy theories and drama can just move right along.

This community knows what this thread is about and those who want to participate have and will as the week goes on.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Great job all as off this morning we have already raised 600 million towards this community project. We are well on our way to be fully funded and ready to launch by tomorrow if this keeps up!

400 mil left to go! We are in the home streach

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Greetings all,

This is a kind gesture but I can not allow this and yes it does break the TOS. If people want to donate that is fine but you can not donate for money in UO. Sorry guys!
*tips his hat at the Dark Lady*

I could not disagree with you more on this. I would like you to think this trough a bit more. No one is "donating for money" they are supporting their forum with a donation and a community is gathering around to support that with an encouragement and a fun event using the resources they have at their disposal.

Period

This really in no way has a place for Broadsword to be involved at any level.

While I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and your team. You are totally off base here.

Last edited:

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
*tips his hat at the Dark Lady*

I could not disagree with you more on this. I would like you to think this trough a bit more. No one is "donating for money" they are supporting their forum with a donation and a community is gathering around to support that with an encouragement and a fun event using the resources they have at their disposal.

Period

This really in no way has a place for Broadsword to be involved at any level.

While I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and your team. You are totally off base here.

I personally think that it's about time Broadsword hosts their own UO forums and breaks from Stratics for reasons like this. How can you state that people paying real life money for an ingame currency (A game that BROADSWORD owns) is "none of their business"? You really are dense, aren't you?

The superiority complex that comes with stratics veterans is just getting old, fast.

A forums and community managed by Broadsword officials, Devs, GMs, Etc is what UO needs in this day and age.

Last edited:

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Then donate without giving UO gold in return.
While I appreciate your stance. I totally disagree. It is not a RMT transaction of any form.

You and other have your opinion and I have mine.

I do not feel the need to waste your time or mine going back in forth on this.

The reality is you just ended something very good for stratics and you.

And yes that is just my opinion.

* Tips a glass to the Dark Lady and heads back to the fire *

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
post the raffle on the hot forums, direct people there by word of mouth / icq. simple as that.

Im the first to disagree with with many of stratics antiquated policies, which is honestly the reason i do not donate. i thought about it but at this time, it would just go against my personal integrity so its a decision ive chosen to uphold.

Hopefully Nabins project will still be a success. He has been an excellent UO philanthropist for many years and we all value his dedication to the game, and to the forums.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
post the raffle on the hot forums, direct people there by word of mouth / icq. simple as that.

Im the first to disagree with with many of stratics antiquated policies, which is honestly the reason i do not donate. i thought about it but at this time, it would just go against my personal integrity so its a decision ive chosen to uphold.

Hopefully Nabins project will still be a success. He has been an excellent UO philanthropist for many years and we all value his dedication to the game, and to the forums.
And I hope that if he continues with this that he meets the same fate as gold sellers. Regardless of his status on these forums, and what he's done. He is no exception to the rules and ToS of Ultima Online and Broadsword.

Last edited:

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Greetings all,

This is a kind gesture but I can not allow this and yes it does break the TOS. If people want to donate that is fine but you can not donate for money in UO. Sorry guys!
That settles that.

Status
Not open for further replies.