• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO plans for 2016/17

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We only know one side of the story, and that is Bonnie's view. I personally dont buy her bs blaming EA or whoever about everything thats wrong. Everytime you ask Bonnie its just "None of my business."

Not talking to EA *before* announcing going to Steam. EA denies. None of my business. EA's fault.
UO discounts on origin? None of my business. Go let someone on Stratics find it out. Origin's fault.
Your EM doing a ****ty job at setting up town criers before and after events? None of business. Go work it out yourself.
Stuck with problems in the EC? Heck! None of my business at all!!!
Doing basic QA on the ingame store? None of my business. Let's just people figure out the dashes are all wrong again.

5 year old rare needs to be dyed? Oh boy, be there in a minute!

She likes to run the show like a GM, not like a professional producer. She might even love the game and think she is doing her best, but in the end she is only doing busy work instead of tackling real issues.

I dont need a producer doing in game meetings. I would rather need a producer who is on the pressing issues and bugs we experience for years now. One that is working together with Origin to be up-to-date on discounts. One that supervises her team to consider both supported clients when adding new things. One that tells EMs to get this town cryer thing finally sorted.

But thats not going to happen with her.

Last edited:

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Getting too old for that. My hands are hurting today from clicking 100s of lock picks last night. If there was a program that automated repetitive mouse clicks that worked with UO, you bet I would use it and would not consider it cheating in the least
Everyone is to old for that! It was horrible! That's part of the reason all these "do this for me" programs got started.

Playing so long ago had it's benefits though. When I did lock picking the skill hadn't been "built out" yet, no t-maps or anything. I just stood in my house with a tinker chest and some picks and went from 0-100 in something like 90 mins. Man did I get lucky.

If your response wasn't sarcasm, there are simple programs designed for windows desktop and office applications (Excel specifically) that automate repetitive mouse clicks and mouse position (Macros - same thing the EC does, but with mouse position recorded as well). Just remember, Macroing Attended in UO is fine, Macroing Unattended is illegal.

Honestly, the line between macros and scripts (at least fairly simple ones) is really to-maa-to, toe-moe-to at this point.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We only know one side of the story, and that is Bonnie's view. I personally dont buy her bs blaming EA or whoever about everything thats wrong. Everytime you ask Bonnie its just "None of my business."

Not talking to EA *before* announcing going to Steam. EA denies. None of my business. EA's fault.
UO discounts on origin? None of my business. Go let someone on Stratics find it out. Origin's fault.
Your EM doing a ****ty job at setting up town criers before and after events? None of business. Go work it out yourself.
Stuck with problems in the EC? Heck! None of my business at all!!!
Doing basic QA on the ingame store? None of my business. Let's just people figure out the dashes are all wrong again.

5 year old rare needs to be dyed? Oh boy, be there in a minute!

She likes to run the show like a GM, not like a professional producer. She might even love the game and think she is doing her best, but in the end she is only doing busy work instead of tackling real issues.

I dont need a producer doing in game meetings. I would rather need a producer who is on the pressing issues and bugs we experience for years now. One that is working together with Origin to be up-to-date on discounts. One that supervises her team to consider both supported clients when adding new things. One that tells EMs to get this town cryer thing finally sorted.

But thats not going to happen with her.
Lets not fool ourselves here... when our Dear Bonnie started at UO... she was a tester... Yep that's right she was testing. Now how good she was at it is anyones guess but she must have found enough issues and reported on them to be kept despite how many times they have fired folk over the years. She has been doing many things at UO over the years but that's where she gets her start.

Now her husband does that job and he apparently isn't very good at it. Either that or he is afraid to report problems to her. Because there is no possible way he tested the Atlas before it was released to us. If he had he would have known that it didn't work properly and was IMPOSSIBLE to read in the EC. Obviously he didn't even bother to look at it in the EC... that is a shame had he done his job it would have never been released like it was.

As for the Origin store I've heard a number of excuses for that over the years and all of them come from EA... I've never seen a company more determined to NOT take money than EA. How they remain in business is anyones guess.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've never seen a company more determined to NOT take money than EA. How they remain in business is anyones guess.
I'm betting the answer has something to do with ritual sacrifices to either Satan :devil: or Cthulhu cthulhu_by_blackdahlia.gif ...

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Everyone is to old for that! It was horrible! That's part of the reason all these "do this for me" programs got started.

Playing so long ago had it's benefits though. When I did lock picking the skill hadn't been "built out" yet, no t-maps or anything. I just stood in my house with a tinker chest and some picks and went from 0-100 in something like 90 mins. Man did I get lucky.

If your response wasn't sarcasm, there are simple programs designed for windows desktop and office applications (Excel specifically) that automate repetitive mouse clicks and mouse position (Macros - same thing the EC does, but with mouse position recorded as well). Just remember, Macroing Attended in UO is fine, Macroing Unattended is illegal.

Honestly, the line between macros and scripts (at least fairly simple ones) is really to-maa-to, toe-moe-to at this point.
Yes, the response was serious. It only seems logical if you can macro spells and other things that require keyboard clicks, you should be able to macro mouse clicks as well - or else change the whole gain system where you don't need 1,000 clicks. For me, repetitive mouse clicks are more painful than repetitive keyboard clicks. This is my 5th thunter, and it gets more bothersome each time. I'm not sure what else I'm allowed to say here, but I'll check your suggestion.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
..... cater to the Rares Community at every opportunity F the rest of you and destroy community... continue to not make revenue by making it nearly impossible for anyone to RTB or restart, find or use their old account.... keep making a new account so grossly over complicated that no one will want to wade through it... Continue to not do interviews or ads so no one will know UO is still running nearly 19 years later... continue to make items nearly impossible to get by the average player... reward all multiboxers and scripters...

Blindly add content that makes no sense and does not go with the current content... continue to make things a HUGE grind... more grinding the better...

Make sure all new art added sticks out like a sore thumb, is at least 2x too large and is completely in a different perspective than EVERYTHING else in game....

Keep ignoring the issues plaguing the EC... Stop all additions to improving the CC...

Keep changing content to benefit scripters and bots...

Continue to allow multiboxing...

business as usual...

Did I miss any???
I really shouldn't say anything, but I'm going too. My understanding is you ♥ UO. With that said you do seem to complain about it a lot. I can understand the point you complain because you care but you sure seem to do it a lot. Granted I do not have the time you have in the game or as many accounts as you do. So I can understand that you do help support the game well. But the negativity just baffles me sometimes. :( It makes me kinda sad.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know about UO's plans, but mine go as follows:

2016 - Watch the UO ship sink further

2017 - Jump ship and play Shroud of the Avatar

Hope I'm not alone in that.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't know about UO's plans, but mine go as follows:

2016 - Watch the UO ship sink further

2017 - Jump ship and play Shroud of the Avatar

Hope I'm not alone in that.
Yes you are alone on that lol :p. Ship is sinking but it's in shallow waters and will stay afloat (has been for years), if you need to take a break that's fine but we'll be waiting for you when you return. Let's face it, no other game has the same depth or housing as UO.... i've tried other games and always come back to the game that feels like home :)

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes you are alone on that lol :p. Ship is sinking but it's in shallow waters and will stay afloat (has been for years), if you need to take a break that's fine but we'll be waiting for you when you return. Let's face it, no other game has the same depth or housing as UO.... i've tried other games and always come back to the game that feels like home :)
Except Shroud of the Avatar has customizable housing and pretty much the same open-skill platform as UO...and I trust Richard and co. to understand the sentiment and needs of the game a hell of a lot better than Bonnie and co. have demonstrated.

I understand not wanting to start over if you're overly attached to your pixels though.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't like Shroud's model of buying your way in to the best spots, sets up bad vibes before the game even starts
EDIT: A discussion on Eurogamer
$12,000 castles and $2100 deeds - inside Shroud of the Avatar's booming housing market
Exactly why I won't touch SotA either.

Since leaving OSI, Garriott has gotten progressively greedier. After the Tabula Rasa debacle, he started doing sleazy pay-to-"win" games with a plethora of microtransactions. SotA is just the culmination of his greed and blatant desire to milk customers of money.

And its still not an MMO.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was having a conversation with some friends about Steam and various gaming platforms, and one made a crack about the EA Origin system. He doesn't play UO, but still has a great deal of frustration when using the system with other games. It is a terrible system that sadly our UO accounts are linked with and current purchases are done through. Blaming Broadsword is like blaming your waiter when the restaurant's kitchen was on fire before his shift. Still I would much prefer Steam to the current mess. Or the old account system before EA decided to put everything under the same leaky umbrella.
Honestly, Origin as a client and digital distribution platform is just fine. I didn't like it at first because I wanted to keep all my games (well, 95% of them) under Steam, but it works just fine.