• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO on CNN

T

Tazar

Sorry... I'm not techie enough to help... it works for me and the few friends I sent it to.

But you can go to www.cnn.com. It is currently on the front page.

Article titled: "Gamers swoon over new MMO offerings".

It is a video-report so there may be some flash-player or something you are missing.

G

galefan2004

An interview on CNN.com of a G4 reporter discussing MMORPG's.

Link
Check it out...G4 who is susposed to be the revolutionaries in the gaming industry media reviews UO and used the 2D client. I thought it was all about graphics, and KR was susposed to be the future of UO...hmmm?

It is also sad that the reporter thought UO was a new game because she had never heard of it. She had most likely never heard of it because EA does a horrible job at keeping UO advertised. Yes its an older game, but that doesn't mean its not worth advertising.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah i also wondering why they are not using the KR Client, but i think this are old archive records which are not showing the here and now.

T

Tazar

yeah i also wondering why they are not using the KR Client, but i think this are old archive records which are not showing the here and now.
The conversation on UO was that it was 10 years old, and basically created the mmorpg genre. When you are talking about that, you would obviously use the original client that started it all.

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey don’t knock it, that’s the most advertising UO has gotten in years, we should all send a thank you email to them for doing EA’s job….

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
-World of Warcraft- a goal standard??

-Warhammer, lame graphics, looks like some console junk.....

-Warhammer is a leveling up game?? Why I din't like WoW.....

-LMAO, WoW being the McDonalds of MMO......McDonalds is garbage food, I guess they hit it on the head!

-Ok, this Nicole chick calls UO a newbie....guess why?? She's too young to know any better obviously.....

- There was nothing negative said about UO, they even thanked Richard, down in texas.....nice of em.

As far as advertising UO, look at the clip they showed you......would that sell?? Hell no.....2D graphics are outdated.

Linking to CNN, use your search bar, works faster and easier.

nuff said,
later

M

Mythic

Thanks CNN for showing the world that 10 secound clip of nothing interesting lol. They could have discussed UOs game mechanics and how no other game even comes close to giving you the freedom that UO does, but eh oh well, a lil glimpse of KR to get some newbies here wouldnt have hurt cuzz obviously thats all these folks care about is glitter and glam.

And actually for that matter, If KR is what it takes to get some new players here, maybe we should all start supporting it, Ive seen a handful of returning vets, but nothing that replaces the constantly dwindeling population.

G

galefan2004

The conversation on UO was that it was 10 years old, and basically created the mmorpg genre. When you are talking about that, you would obviously use the original client that started it all.
If the appeal of UO is that it created the genre then why would you bother even creating yet another client with horrible graphics (compared to graphically intensive games in the genre) and a plethera of bugs.

F

Fayled Dhreams

As far as advertising UO, look at the clip they showed you......would that sell?? Hell no.....2D graphics are outdated.

:cool: Indeed, look AT the clip they showed .... just how OLD was it ? Remember, they were talking about its AGE ... and how UO was the one that "sorta started it all" ...
the combat sceen was from, what? Rennaisance? and the RPG flavor ... omg! that was a wedding clip ... note the blue robed one ... LOL
talk about "Family Photo Album" archiacisim ... actually ... the clip fit ... they were talking "history" ... and if the topic would have been "airflight history", you would have them talking over old black and white film of biplanes and the hindenburg burning ...

"Hollywood": as long as they spell/say your name right, any publicity is good publicity.

G

galefan2004

-World of Warcraft- a goal standard??
With 16 million subscribers, WoW has been the industry standard for a LONG time.

-Warhammer, lame graphics, looks like some console junk.....
Yes because console games don't have the best graphics in the industry (XBox 360 and PS3 tend to pown computer graphics). Besides I like the graphics...they look pretty cool imo.

-Warhammer is a leveling up game?? Why I din't like WoW.....
WoW was annoying to level in. WAR is susposed to work around that by allowing meaningful game play while leveling. There is only one real game in the genre that isn't a leveling game, so they went with what works.

-LMAO, WoW being the McDonalds of MMO......McDonalds is garbage food, I guess they hit it on the head!
Its not all garbage food. Yeah, but McDonald's normally has lower prices. WoW got McDonald's numbers while charging the same as its competitors.

-Ok, this Nicole chick calls UO a newbie....guess why?? She's too young to know any better obviously.....
Yes...I'm 100% sure she looked 10 to me. Are you kidding? I'm 29 and I started playing this game when I was 21. She assumes its a new game because shes NEVER heard of it. Shes NEVER heard of it because EA sucks at promoting UO. I'm willing to bet more people have heard of DAoC than UO.

- There was nothing negative said about UO, they even thanked Richard, down in texas.....nice of em.
He did create the genre after all. He should be thanked for being first to do MMOs. However, if he hadn't been the first then someone else would have been. Its kind of like thanking Columbus for being the first European to come to America.

Yes and games are ALL about graphics. I think there is an entire slew of emulator sites just begging to prove you wrong. In the end, people still play card games. People play games because they have fun in them. Graphics have very little to do with the video gaming industry, and most games that focus more on graphics then a fun gaming system don't fair very well.

Back in the day, less emphasis was spent on graphics, and the result was actually fun games. Now everyone is all about how the freaking pixels look. Pixels looking good has nothing at all to do with how fun the game is to play, and most people are willing to play retro games if they offer 10x more than games with pretty pixels.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is also sad that the reporter thought UO was a new game because she had never heard of it. She had most likely never heard of it because EA does a horrible job at keeping UO advertised. Yes its an older game, but that doesn't mean its not worth advertising.
Alot of the jobs out there require alot of dedication and does not allow for casual entertainment, not everyone is a gamer.

I do agree uo needs more advertising:]

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
G4 has to be the worst channel on cable, Why they ever got rid of TechTV for this crap is beyond me.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
EA doesn't promote UO because EA wants it to go in the red..... Because EA wants to dump UO like yesterdays trash..... DUH!.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
maybe a raiding party is in order for showing a veeerrryyy slow frame fight and a wedding march instead of like a champ spawn fight or a faction raid?

J

Jermosh

That was a good clip. I think they played up UO a lot more then most think IMHO. This game is really a gaming legend.