• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO on ARM tablet

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It should be technically feasible to run UO on the ARM architecture with a combination of qemu and wine. Question is, has anybody done it? Darwine failed because PowerPC was big endian, but the current gen of arm devices are little endian like x86.

Granted UO would probably run very poorly, but it should run. The qemu and wine mashup referenced in the WINE ARM wiki seems to have disappeared from the intertubes and I don't have the technical skill to recreateit myself.

Edit: Alternatively if you could compile UO from source for the ARM architecture you could run it on the current version of Wine without needing army.

Edit 2: maybe windows 8 for ARM if it has something like Rosetta when mac switched to x86

W

Woodsman

I don't know about ARM, but when I switched to Macs almost a decade ago, UO was always a pain to run until the switch to Intel. I tried everything that was available, and always resorted to keeping a cheap PC on the side to run UO and a few other games. Even with a dual-core dual-CPU PowerMac G5, UO sucked regardless of which UO client was used. While I know part of the problem was graphics horsepower, the main part was the different CPU architectures.
Edit 2: maybe windows 8 for ARM if it has something like Rosetta when mac switched to x86
Rosetta was not the best for some heavy games made for PPC Macs. If you had a powerful CPU, you could overcome the performance problems, but you are talking about an ARM CPU in a tablet, and that's not going to have the kind of horsepower needed to overcome similar issues should Microsoft come out with a Rosetta-like environment. It's one thing for an older version of Microsoft Office and another for a game.

There are some dual-core Windows tablets made by I believe Acer and maybe Asus that are reasonably priced that should be able to run UO through the classic client, but I think ARM is going to be tough when it comes to decent performance of a game like UO.