• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS UO Newsletter #8

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wasn't it named Sparky? Trying to remember.
Yes... I believe so... I love the little fella... feel bad for it still... and Sudiva... I don't think that the DEVs realize just how much some of us.. really care about things in-game... not everyone is fixated on pixels as just a means to get money.... some of us... really love the stories... and feel.... attached to the pixels...

Rather like the two baby dragons in Yew... bet I'm one of the only players that still visits them and reads stories to them.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Geez, why doesn't she just rename the game Mesanna's World Online.:gee: She's bitter, mean and hateful. God help if your not one of her favorites. Personally if it was ANY OTHER company besides EA/Broadsword she'd been canned AGES AGO. :facepalm:
I think even EA cares enough about most games to replace people of Messana's (lack of) quality. Just at this point in UO's life it's not worth the hassle.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Geez, why doesn't she just rename the game Mesanna's World Online.:gee: She's bitter, mean and hateful. God help if your not one of her favorites. Personally if it was ANY OTHER company besides EA/Broadsword she'd been canned AGES AGO. :facepalm:
I think even EA cares enough about most games to replace people of Messana's (lack of) quality. Just at this point in UO's life it's not worth the hassle.
That's the sad, honest truth.:sad4:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Better managers, better designers, better developers cost more money. And I can't imagine UO bringing that much in. EA probably considers her a bargain. They kind of pay her, she kind of manages.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They just need to let the people at the free shards run it. game looks so much better would kill for some of the eye candy they have.

would go but to many years invested in this game to start over.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They just need to let the people at the free shards run it. game looks so much better would kill for some of the eye candy they have.

would go but to many years invested in this game to start over.
There must be a reason they are not willing to hire competent help. See this conversation - Can we get runic atlas fix please?

Players - can you make this simple QOL change to the atlas
UO Dev - Can't be done because the atlas is controlled server side
Players - But Pinco in his UI did this
UO Dev - yes, he did this by customizing the UI
Players - and this is impossible for you why...?
Uo Dev - ....silence.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I imagine it's a lot like when I tell my kids that they either share their toy and play nice or I'll throw the toy away. Everyone on shards without a moongate has been whining to her about it for who knows how long, now she's threatening to take them all away. It works on my kids, I'm sure it will work on you. I'm also pretty sure she's not actually going to do it, just like how I never actually have to do it with my kids. I thought y'all were old people, don't y'all know how this works?

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I imagine it's a lot like when I tell my kids that they either share their toy and play nice or I'll throw the toy away. Everyone on shards without a moongate has been whining to her about it for who knows how long, now she's threatening to take them all away. It works on my kids, I'm sure it will work on you. I'm also pretty sure she's not actually going to do it, just like how I never actually have to do it with my kids. I thought y'all were old people, don't y'all know how this works?
So this is not your adds. Screenshot_20210426-112624_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210426-112710_Samsung Internet.jpg

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No, not my kids. They wouldn't do something like that because I'm always a step ahead of them. There's nothing bad they can do that I haven't already done twice. They do not like me and that is fine. It isn't my job to be their friend, only to raise them to be productive members of society. Maybe someday they'll understand and cut me in on that doctor and lawyer money they will be making because of my awesome parenting skills.

Also, I have no idea what a beyblade is.

Edit: After a quick google search, I have determined that a beyblade is some sort of fancy spinning top, something I am very familiar with. I get mine from here:

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, not my kids. They wouldn't do something like that because I'm always a step ahead of them. There's nothing bad they can do that I haven't already done twice. They do not like me and that is fine. It isn't my job to be their friend, only to raise them to be productive members of society. Maybe someday they'll understand and cut me in on that doctor and lawyer money they will be making because of my awesome parenting skills.

Also, I have no idea what a beyblade is.

Edit: After a quick google search, I have determined that a beyblade is some sort of fancy spinning top, something I am very familiar with. I get mine from here:

There some toy with blade like things on them. They came put when I was late teenager so did not play with them myself.

The ones you posted come from a area close to me. Don't tell me your from the same area.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
My kids had beyblades, luckily I was sensible enough to also buy them the arena so they didn't have to use a bathtub. 10/10 for innovation to the kids, the beyblades are pretty much useless without a confined space to use them in. I blame the parents for the damage to the tub, they didn't provide an appropriate play area for the kids to use their beyblades and also didn't do enough parental supervision.

I'm not going to comment on the person trying to sell their child, or the two people who bid on him...

Maybe Mesanna is just having an off week, or maybe she's been acting like this since she turned into Scrooge at Christmas, who knows.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We had clackers in elementary school. They could smack hard. Of course we used them incorrectly.

Our Elementary Halloween Carnival had a Car Bash for 25 cents you could smack a car 3 times with a large hammer.
If you got there early you could be the one to break the windows. I liked to send the side view mirrors flying.

Our neighbor had lawn darts, we would throw them over the wooden fence between the houses. I never knew they had targets you could use. Standing under them and moving out of the way at the last second was fun.

Johnny Bench Batter up caused lots of injuries to the neighborhood kids.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We were the kids (my brother and I) who when we would have a neighborhood squirt gun fight... would load our squirt guns with Koolaide... Wasn't any doubt who we hit... none of that no you didn't get me crap .... yeah.. that started some fun colorful fights... as other kids would load theirs up then too... with food coloring or koolaide didn't matter... but yea.... I also had the bike with the banana seat... in sparkly purple... my sisters had that stupid basket with the plastic flowers on it... and yes... the dumb fiberglass rod with the flag on it... was attached to the back of my bike... hated that thing.

We also had lawn darts... as well as a couple of croquet sets... that was always fun... but we also had bows and arrows... and often had hay bales with a target out back... And my older sister had the clacker balls...

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We did the roman candle tag and we would fight each other with bats, hockey sticks and such after we got done playing AD&D a friend's dad even made a crossbow that would shot bolts with the pencil eraser on the tips. Then we got older and did the paint ball. Anyway was open to hits you learned fast to wear cups. Then we moved to a indoor one that shot the bounce balls

Always wander why we all still alive

Demios

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Of all the producers UO has been through, she is definitely the worst.
I have a feeling the game will come to an end and it won't go down in a blaze of glory, as it should, because of her.
Does make you wonder what EA/Mythic/Broadsword were thinking when they offered her the position, was it desperation? I can't think of any other reason.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a feeling the game will come to an end and it won't go down in a blaze of glory, as it should, because of her.
Does make you wonder what EA/Mythic/Broadsword were thinking when they offered her the position, was it desperation? I can't think of any other reason.
She sure as hell is no Draconi. Development team was so much better off in those days.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ut yea.... I also had the bike with the banana seat... in sparkly purple... my sisters had that stupid basket with the plastic flowers on it... and yes... the dumb fiberglass rod with the flag on it... was attached to the back of my bike... hated that thing.
We were poor, I did not have a new bike until I was a teenager. My Dad always had a trot line under a long bridge. When I was about 5 or 6 he was dragging for it but caught a bike. It was a red Schwinn with a banana seat of course, once I learned to ride it I went everywhere on it. We had lots of motorcycle trails within riding distance, I spent many hours riding bikes on them with friends. I learned how to take it apart and put it back together so other parents would bring their bikes to me to fix flats adjust brakes, whatever. A few years later he found another one the same way. It was pretty much new. We figured someone would steal a bike and toss it over the bridge. I had huge thighs when I was young from riding those bikes up and down hills. Neither had gears. But I could ride faster than the kids that had 10 speeds or gears. Advantage of the banana seat was I could take the neighborhood girls to the store or just ride around. Could find a few empty coke bottles in the ally and buy a coke or candy bar for a dime.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They had a quota to fill and as much as they hate UO they thought that we deserved her, how do you think she lasted so long when everybody else was let go.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stupid damn idea:: removing the decor. The reason its so crowded in Luna is the old invasions they used to have in the Tram towns. Even in WBB. I don't get why the hell it would be a burden to keep the banks decorated. IF anything they should add a WBB destination the public moongates.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We were poor, I did not have a new bike until I was a teenager. My Dad always had a trot line under a long bridge. When I was about 5 or 6 he was dragging for it but caught a bike. It was a red Schwinn with a banana seat of course, once I learned to ride it I went everywhere on it. We had lots of motorcycle trails within riding distance, I spent many hours riding bikes on them with friends. I learned how to take it apart and put it back together so other parents would bring their bikes to me to fix flats adjust brakes, whatever. A few years later he found another one the same way. It was pretty much new. We figured someone would steal a bike and toss it over the bridge. I had huge thighs when I was young from riding those bikes up and down hills. Neither had gears. But I could ride faster than the kids that had 10 speeds or gears. Advantage of the banana seat was I could take the neighborhood girls to the store or just ride around. Could find a few empty coke bottles in the ally and buy a coke or candy bar for a dime.
I never had a "new" bike... Mine was something someone traded my Dad in lieu of payment for services of repair on their vehicle... or something... As my father was an autobody mechanic... which did mean that when I turned 16 I did have a car... but it was some car that he bought at the junkyard real cheap after some fool killed themselves in it driving off an embankment... you could literally see their face impression still in the windshield... but we fixed it up and it was mine... I had to work at the shop for 2 years to get it... but got good driving and parking experience pulling cars in and out of the shop...

That bike was my life for years till I earned enough delivering papers to buy me a 3 speed... which I never could figure out how to break with... but the 3 speed I bought was also used... my dad just painted it at the shop.... like the purple one... special for me...

My parents had 4 kids... we never had much money... heck I barely ever even got new clothes... until I finally grew taller than my older sister I wore all her hand-me-downs... and hated them...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
There were 5 of us kids, two older and three younger, we shared one bike for quite a while, handed down from my much older brother. We did have roller skates :p I didn't have my own bike until I was about 9 or 10 and it was a stupid girl's bike with flowers on it and a little denim bag on the back, my brother had a Grifter, I hated him....

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
She sure as hell is no Draconi. Development team was so much better off in those days.
It's funny because I don't really remember any producer besides Messana and I've played since the start (although I was only a teen then). Part of me feels like it's because I was mainly into PvP so the other "stuff" was secondary but I do remember the invasions and story arcs which were all so different and very fun (I do find myself always comparing content now to content then).

More realistically it's probably because producers are like American football offensive linemen; when they are doing their job you don't hear much about them, it's only when they start screwing up is when you hear their name so much. :gee:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Those were fun times. Draconi, Wilki, Leurocian and my favourite dev, Cathat! :p
Was GrimmOmen around the same time? I think he may have just been an artist but still, I remember he posted here and seemed like a good dude.

Demios

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Forgot about Grimm, yea he was awesome.
i vaguely remember any UO producers, except for Sunsword, Jeff Skalski, and Mesanna.
I remember Mesanna for all the wrong reasons, sadly.
There was, I think, a producer pre Sunsword who was responsible for the samurai expansion if I remember rightly, Evocare was it?

Last edited:

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Forgot about Grimm, yea he was awesome.
i vaguely remember any UO producers, except for Sunsword, Jeff Skalski, and Mesanna.
I remember Mesanna for all the wrong reasons, sadly.
There was, I think, a producer pre Sunsword who was responsible for the samurai expansion if I remember rightly, Evocare was it?
I could be wrong but I thought Evocare was the driving force behind Age of Shadows.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
you know if she has the time to read all the messages about what should be left or removed from the WBB, think what she could do if she just forget this and take care of the issues we have had across all shards. Lost avatars all over the games across all shards left by EM events and also lost forgot from when a house fell the inn keeper/maid etc. that are still out there, lost pictures and other house stuff from old forgotten IDOC, there is still stuff all over Brit from that last BIG event where we saved the world and the king threw a parade (across all shards). If they want another "Let clean up the shards" then lets do that.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most likely they are just going to remove everything but the BS logo and the SW foces area. will look just like Fels then. I still use Brit bank but most of the time I am using my old Bucs Den bank. also use the stables at Monic

there is a video of Lord Brit talking about how he was shocked that there was a prostitute on the first week was changing gold and doing the bow emote in one of the inns in brit he said they even had a pimp wearing the feather hat outside the door.
Add a roleplay mafia "shootout" at the banks & That pretty much sums up the "old UO". Lol. I used to tell people at work about this new online game thing called UO, and I got some really weird looks lol. And you can even be a murderer!

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Add a roleplay mafia "shootout" at the banks & That pretty much sums up the "old UO". Lol. I used to tell people at work about this new online game thing called UO, and I got some really weird looks lol. And you can even be a murderer!
My weapon of chose was the apple. would leave them all over brit bank then log out would then log back in and watch the people die from eating the apple i left. was poison not sure if that still works

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My weapon of chose was the apple. would leave them all over brit bank then log out would then log back in and watch the people die from eating the apple i left. was poison not sure if that still works
I got done once by that :)

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
only took you once to most people but would see a few do it over and over
One fella I hung with in the day did exactly that ... kept eating what we both knew was poisoned stuff. I asked why and his answer made sense in a warped way. By dying from the poisoned fruit, he could perhaps levy a murder count on the poisoner. Enough of them and they turn red (if not already) and they had murder counts to work off. Like I said ... warped.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nope, my character ate a poisoned pizza once... while he didn't die... it served as an RP sort of thing with him ever after that to where he REFUSED to eat anything with grains in it... saying that Drow were not meant to consume such stuff... and he wouldn't touch anything he thought might have grains in it... he often asked if it did or not... but yeah to this day he still will not eat it... no matter how many times people tell him it's fine and other Drow eat it just fine... he swears it is not fit for consumption. Thankfully he never ate poisoned fruit!