• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS UO Newsletter #7

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
No it's still March!

The April Event is...in April...which is next month.

Live Events
A Soulless Seduction - Embark on a quest to discover the whereabouts of a missing artisan from Tokuno and meet interesting characters along the way! We are targeting a mid-April launch date for this event so keep an eye on UO.com for full details!

But yes I agree it's more of an UN-Newsletter....or as I like to call it...

The *We have no plans for that* Newsletter

Very little mentioned about Soulless Seduction

Royal Puppies? Nice intro for the pet castle....can't wait to see the sketches! *sighs*

Cute little stories to introduce the various items we are getting but it was not a very meaty newsletter.

They are hard at work on NL though so I am looking forward to that.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what happens if someone bought the item then sold it. does the person that bought it from the seller lose it? 1616818154285.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I figured the next event was going to be a quest.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what happens if someone bought the item then sold it. does the person that bought it from the seller lose it? View attachment 117968
How would the seller be responsible? They are not stupid enough to apply the codes to their own accounts. If it happened to me, I would say someone else sold em to me. Don't worry, I have never used game time codes.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How would the seller be responsible? They are not stupid enough to apply the codes to their own accounts. If it happened to me, I would say someone else sold em to me. Don't worry, I have never used game time codes.
I mean like you bought the Sovereigns from the person. you applied the code to your account then you sold me a Soul stone or a pet bonding, token something from the store. would that mean the item I got from you that you paid with sovereigns get taken away from me. game time is easy to track leaves a mile long paper trail talking about store items.

This just using you as the seller of said items bought with the sovereigns from a 3rd party none of this happened just used you since you replayed thinking what would happen then

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I mean like you bought the Sovereigns from the person. you applied the code to your account then you sold me a Soul stone or a pet bonding, token something from the store. would that mean the item I got from you that you paid with sovereigns get taken away from me. game time is easy to track leaves a mile long paper trail talking about store items.

This just using you as the seller of said items bought with the sovereigns from a 3rd party none of this happened just used you since you replayed thinking what would happen then
Just to make up a random name, John buys a Sovereign code from the store with a bad card. If John does not use that code and sells it to Dan, then Dan uses it to get the Sovereigns. Dans account would register as the one who bought the code. So, Dan gets punished. (John would be liable for his stealing a credit card number, which Origin does not pursue)

So, yes the buyer is responsible for not buying it from the Origin website.

If Dan doesn't get busted immediately and uses those Sovereigns to buy items from the store and Pete buys one of the items, they would not punish Pete. I doubt they could track that transaction.

All names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this story are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred. Any unauthorized exhibition, distribution, or copying of this story or any part thereof may result in civil liability and criminal prosecution.
No animals were harmed in the telling of this story.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And, it's likely the ones they refer to as "Fraudulently Obtained" are NOT ones simply bought from EA/BS then sold, but instead one who buy them with stolen CC numbers, etc.

"Fraudulently Obtained" has a fairly specific meaning, and it's not "buying stuff with your own money and selling it off". And, it's not like they will retroactively act on someone running their own CC to max, then not pay the card - they'll have their money, and it's the card issuer that will go after the card owner. It would take the card being used by someone unauthorized, and the purchases cancelled by the card issuer, for the purchase to be considered fraudulent.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The buyer of the code has to make an account with Origin. But, the buyer can use made up info andthe stolen card to do that. The original buyer would be smart enough to not have a UO account associated with that purchase.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With all the games that sell codes online, is UO really that big of a money maker that this happens often?

I think posters have complained that people can buy codes cheaper using other country websites, and those people are selling the legally obtained codes on their sites and make a profit. They even mentioned that EA does not want to change the pricing in other countries.
So Mesanna is using this as a scare tactic. Since she can do nothing else.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
this newsletter is terrible...so sad so the april event was the 4 new trees?
We got the Orchids and another Title. Will probably get everything by the next event.
Also there are 5 tree types.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
this newsletter is terrible...so sad so the april event was the 4 new trees?
To @Pawain's point (and further) we did technically get the trees/orchids/title/fellowship medallion/pirate chest/Hooks map (for March). That said, the March "event" did feel a little "meh" so I chuckled when I read this because I kind of felt the same way. I'm not a deco person so after I got a pirate chest and hook map (and I'm over the 300k doubloon limit) I scuttled maybe 2 more beacons and put away my ship. I didn't even bother getting any orchids.

I'm hoping that April will bring the Hooks shield as a reward and hoping that whatever we need Hooks map for (150k doubloons) is worth it.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
And does anyone know if these will work in a bank box?
From what was tested you can only use the soulstone vessel if it's locked down in a house.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just looked in the UO Store and can't find them either.
They stagger release things now.

View attachment 117970
there are 6 trees
the two on the right look the same,
but they have a slight bend in different directions.
I already posted pics of the trees. That's why I said five types. They reversed the coconut palm thus making it the most common type you produce. And it happens to be the second least popular.

@Keven2002 You can't sell your items or cargo? I sold 4M worth of doubloons the first day and ran out. Yesterday I sold 100 mythic cargo that I have collected since. Plus all the orchids I made.

Last edited:

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What March event? Click on the pot of gold to get a tiny leprechaun? or the new stuff on the black market?

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pointless item once again. Bank or on a char is only safe spot for stones

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I keep my soulstones at home because I use them on multiple characters, it's a pain to have to log in, get them out of one bank so another character can use them.

I have deleted and re-made several characters over the years and having the soulstones at home is a convienience for me. These vessels are very secure, a co-owner to a house can place one but it cannot be accessed by anyone not even the owner.

the only downside is if the house falls.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When are we going to move New Legends past vaporware and start seeing some real updates. I'm sorry but that live chat they did was just more "we're going do some stuff, there's going to be some things" while the "demo" was a dev running around interacting with none of these systems. Oh but the weather system is going to be cool and it's going to need you to have special clothing or else things are going to happen. Uh... ok, so you've obviously thought out the system somewhat to where you have the requirements - can we get some info on that? What is the goal of the weather system and what is the current iteration path?

I'm not saying they've got to give us line by line requirements so they can get chewed up when they can't meet the benchmark because of incomp.... er COVID delays. However, it's time we were past the "It's going to be cool! There's going to be some stuff! Tell me what a great producer I am! Can you get your nose in there a little further?"

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
We already have 'weather' and seasonal trees, so really there wasn't anything new, Bleak running through a forest isn't very exciting... :(

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Regarding NL, they aren’t telling us the specifics really because they don’t want to say something is going to be there or happen only for them to change their mind and then people start complaining. Be patient. They give us little bits of info here and there. I’d imagine more as it gets more developed.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm just glad they're tossing 24 years of history away and starting fresh with a 25 year old client that runs horrible and systems that aren't even consistent with current MMOs.

/sarcasm.

I imagine a lot of people are here still because of the items that they hoard, now they think that making a seasonal shard that discourages hoarding is a good idea?

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Regarding NL, they aren’t telling us the specifics really because they don’t want to say something is going to be there or happen only for them to change their mind and then people start complaining. Be patient. They give us little bits of info here and there. I’d imagine more as it gets more developed.
It's been in development for over a year now. By this time they should have a clear development path and feature set. People are going to complain no matter what the development path looks like, so that's not a good excuse for their inability to do more than a five-minute demo of running thru trees. It's poor management plain and simple - frankly, I'd be surprised if they have a clear vision of development. I'd be more willing to bet they're just playing in their sandbox and patting each other on the head when they come up with this "awesome idea".

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Keven2002 You can't sell your items or cargo? I sold 4M worth of doubloons the first day and ran out. Yesterday I sold 100 mythic cargo that I have collected since. Plus all the orchids I made.
I'm sure I could sell the items or extra cargo I have but market is pretty saturated on ATL so I'd need to price things below market value to sell them right now and I'm going to use the points/extra cargo once the shields come out (and possible on hook maps) so selling coconuts/orchids doesn't make sense for me.

Like I said, to each their own but collecting cargo at this time for me personally would be like the equivalent to me going mining for ingots these days... could definitely spend time doing that and make some money doing it but it's not something I currently need (until maybe I do a batch of BODS) or something that would be a good return on investment of time. There are other things out there that I enjoy doing more that are more lucrative in addition to be a bit more fun (this is what I'm currently doing when I play).

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Can the hue (Color) of friendly summoned pets not match the monsters they are fighting?
This is possible however will require some additional client/server work. Currently, we are focusing on development of New Legacy but have added this request to our backlog.

Just need to change the color (hue) so that we can find the bar in a sea of bars
3-23-210001.jpg

Guild and alliance are green, wondering healers placed by the EM are yellow, Tamers that are in a guild will also have a green pet bar if in guard mode. All the rest are blue except for wondering wildlife and low level monsters.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can the hue (Color) of friendly summoned pets not match the monsters they are fighting?
This is possible however will require some additional client/server work. Currently, we are focusing on development of New Legacy but have added this request to our backlog.

Just need to change the color (hue) so that we can find the bar in a sea of bars
View attachment 118003

Guild and alliance are green, wondering healers placed by the EM are yellow, Tamers that are in a guild will also have a green pet bar if in guard mode. All the rest are blue except for wondering wildlife and low level monsters.
And if the game knows enough to hue them differently, give us a filter we can tie to hot keys. Show friendly (green bars). Show hostile (red/orange/criminal bars). Show mobiles (blue bars). Show inanimate (grey bars). etc, etc.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Did they ever fix the FPS limit of classic client? At least make it on par with orion client or one of the thirdparty clients?

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Uh oh...you said the *J* word!

Kyronix HATES the word *Just*

They can't *Just* do anything.....

If they mess with one bit of code, it could break something else....and I don't know if there's still 2 different coding systems still (Remember the Blessed Bacon fiasco)

It would be nice if they could do this....but summoned pets show differently depending on who you are.

If you are guildless, they show blue (To you) if you are in a guild, they show green (to you)

So the system and code that codes summons has to differentiate not only who the summon belongs to, but if it's a non-guilded or guilded summon.

I don't think it's *just* a matter of changing a line of code, it's a bit more complex then that.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Uh oh...you said the *J* word!

Kyronix HATES the word *Just*

They can't *Just* do anything.....

If they mess with one bit of code, it could break something else....and I don't know if there's still 2 different coding systems still (Remember the Blessed Bacon fiasco)

It would be nice if they could do this....but summoned pets show differently depending on who you are.

If you are guildless, they show blue (To you) if you are in a guild, they show green (to you)

So the system and code that codes summons has to differentiate not only who the summon belongs to, but if it's a non-guilded or guilded summon.

I don't think it's *just* a matter of changing a line of code, it's a bit more complex then that.
Honestly, this is a cop-out excuse. Yes, UO is old enough that modern-day best practices were not defined as they are currently. However, the amount of times they use this defense is laughable. They might as well just admit they don't know how that section of code works and don't want to put in the effort to figure it out / document it appropriately

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

View attachment 118003

cant you change the colour of that kinda stuff in your settings?
pretty sure you can change the colour of agro monsters.
ill go check.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
cant you change the colour of that kinda stuff in your settings?
pretty sure you can change the colour of agro monsters.
ill go check.
in CC,
1616967048426.png

these are what you can change the colors of.
the third one down, if chosen...
then the bars of cows, ravens, etc are blue

I used to have red selected for this color
EVs and colossus are that color too
(i'm not sure if by changing the color, if EVs will change to blue too)

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe? I don't know if it will work on EM bosses yet.

Pinkkkk.JPG

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You can always go to a peerless boss and see, that would be the same yes? Or a champ boss...something of that nature?

But by the way it's worded

*Someone that can be attacked* I would assume that ALL things attackable would be the same color.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can always go to a peerless boss and see, that would be the same yes? Or a champ boss...something of that nature?

But by the way it's worded

*Someone that can be attacked* I would assume that ALL things attackable would be the same color.
Fel players are instructed to manually change the default colour of "someone that can be attacked" to differentiate from those that are criminal and those that are flagged only on them. (basically so you know if someone is flagged only to you or is grey to everyone)
But that won't change the colour of EVs and colossus. It was actually requested many years ago for summons to be a different colour as a solution to "target nearest hostile" attacking friendly summons.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
UO.com backend is throwing 503 errors every other day. Looks like their frontend cache is broken for parts of the world.

Probably some poor website dev they got assigned to fix the site got to manually reboot that backend that is throwing errors.. Why they don't use self healing services is a surprise to me.. At least get some properly configured pingdom in different regions?

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
3-29-210003.jpg
This was on Napa the other night, note the monsters are all dead, but when they were alive they were red mini bars unless they got very angry with me then they would change colors, but the minute I was out of sight (invis) they went back to red just like all the summons that were casted that evening.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe something like a PS5 game.... where when the boss appears.... a life bar automatically comes up on everybody's screen. Maybe a different lifebar than typical even... boss level.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe something like a PS5 game.... where when the boss appears.... a life bar automatically comes up on everybody's screen. Maybe a different lifebar than typical even... boss level.
I was thinking something similar. Not so much that it auto pops up but something like all EM bosses or Dynamic Champs would spawn as a different color. Those are really the only time you see that many people with their pets cluttering up the screen. Making something like Dreadhorn have a different color bar doesn't matter because there are no longer hoards of killing it anymore.

I would think that they could more easily make those few "bosses" be a different color; especially EM ones since the EMs create those to drop in (I'd think they would be able to add the color before dropping in).

The other option is to make all bosses have the Stratos artwork where they tower above everyone else and their bar is more easily dragged out.