• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS UO Newsletter #26

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A new edition of the Ultima Online Newsletter has been released you can read the newsletter via the Continue Reading link below.

Continue reading...

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hrrm full customization on a regular shard or are they giving us new pre fabricated castles?... I would rather build my own...

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So they caught 12 dupers in one week...... This makes me wonder how many people are actually duping everyday without being caught.

Damnit, DJAD, you beat me by a minute. No fair

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jinx? :D

Get that Doom "Prized - Lesser Artifact or higher quality" bug in there plz.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Question & Answer Corner

5. Will we ever be able to build the castles that was talked about several months ago?

Yes Bleak is working on a tool that allows you to build a customized castle, but only on TC1. There will be a button on the house sign to submit your design for consideration for the game. Note we are not going to limit the number of designs but the final decision will be up to the Development Team and all submissions will need to meet strict technical and aesthetic specifications. The designer will get credit by House name on the houses

Thread has been resurrected NEWS - [UO.Com] Looking for New Castle Designs :thumbup:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
4. Is there any way to have Flax and Vanilla produce seeds?

Yes this is possible and a good suggestion, we will add this to our list.
:facepalm:

Why would you want seeds from a non resource producing plant (flax) and how could you (the devs) not know that vanilla plants already produce seeds?

If flax producing seeds is to get colored varieties, the wheelbarrow kinds of obviates that reason...

Forget flax, GIVE US SEED-PRODUCING SUGARCANES! We've only been asking for the last decade...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Flax plants produce bales of cotton. So, it isn't a bad thing we're going to get seeds for those. The only reason I can think they put vanilla on the list is that some plain vanilla plants didn't produce vanilla so maybe that's what they're fixing. I'm not even sure how you got the seeds for the non-producing plain vanilla plants. And of course the colored vanilla plants don't produce vanilla.

Anyway, it's frustrating that sugar cane wasn't included. Just about ready to pitch all the stupid BODs for sweet cocoa butter since there's no way they'll ever be filled.
Flax produce? Since when? And cotton, not flax bundles? Color me confused o_O Well, if it produces a resource then it should produce a seed!

Though, I must admit, I'm more concerned with sugarcane than with carpal-tunnel-stress-inducing tailoring resources. (The number of clicks to turn flax/cotton/wool into cloth is annoying)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agreed. Flax plants have produced bales of cotton for quite a while now, which is a nice little bonus on Siege or Mugen if you happen to have collected those particular peculiar seeds, since you can't buy cotton (or flax bundles, unless there's some kind of a glitch) from an NPC. But on every other shard, you can buy bales of cotton from NPCs. I would definitely have preferred to get sugarcane seeds over flax seeds. Maybe they'll let us use the flax seed as a cooking resource too. That would be a first.
I have thousands of wool squirreled away, so I haven't had to buy or harvest flax or cotton in over a decade. Not that I want to spin my wool, I don't want to go insane.

Flax as a cooking resource though... that could be interesting... especially if they gave us other grains, like rye or rice. Could expand cooking and distilling at the same time with foods fitting other cultures.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
hrrm full customization on a regular shard or are they giving us new pre fabricated castles?... I would rather build my own...
It's a contest Bonnie announced.....a few years ago now? Design a castle (On Test Center) and submit it to a contest....they will pick three designs to add to the house placement tool, they will never let your build your own but the tool has been in the works for at least 2 years....COME ON BLEAK YOU CAN DOOO ITTT!!!!! :)

That list of bug fixes is getting longer! Lookin good...and hope they try to squeeze in the plant resources thing while they are at it....since I think it's a bug that some plants that produce resources do not produce seeds and vice versa.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
  • Issue where the silver sapling would not properly work with relation to the Valley of Eodon

So you can't plant a seed at Zippy anymore? Wow that will make the game better.

Will be nice to res my store mounts. Too bad my Windrunner went poof. I cant res him.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Cyrah

5. Will we ever be able to build the castles that was talked about several months ago?

Yes Bleak is working on a tool that allows you to build a customized castle, but only on TC1. There will be a button on the house sign to submit your design for consideration for the game. Note we are not going to limit the number of designs but the final decision will be up to the Development Team and all submissions will need to meet strict technical and aesthetic specifications. The designer will get credit by House name on the houses.

We are all going to help Tallywaker design the best Castle. Since you love his name so much! :p

Maybe a Perv will return for this!

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
"Many of you have asked for a list of updated legal 3rd party programs. Bleak will be reviewing different programs that we consider legal and will be posting them on UO.Com when its complete. If anyone feels they know of a program that should be legal please e-mail us so we can review it."

Looking forward to seeing this list.
Anyone remember UO Curse? I love that

UO Stratics - Xena Dragon - UO Curse Tool

The link works but could not get the program itself

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are similar "encounters" in the False Prophet, Black Gate and Serpent Isle. Not to mention the "Everything an Avatar Should Know About Sex" books...
And, that the two "kings" stated at the 20th anniversary the first conversation witnessed between two players in the beta when it opened up was

"Wanna Cyber???" (and someone on staff won a bet as a result)

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So they caught 12 dupers in one week...... This makes me wonder how many people are actually duping everyday without being caught.

Damnit, DJAD, you beat me by a minute. No fair
What I wonder is how is it that the possibility of duping still exists in a 20 year old game? Not a high enough priority for a fix?

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone remember UO Curse? I love that

UO Stratics - Xena Dragon - UO Curse Tool

The link works but could not get the program itself
I use it :D It frees up some speech macros. I use to use to for selling veggies and for auction gates, but any thing that just talking it's nice for....and of course the insults... The best part. Took me a long time to get the meaning of the desktop icon. LOL I never paid that much attention to it.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
God forbid you build something that is not up to Mesanna's strict "aesthetic" standards. Might make the 20 year old graphics look bad. Can't have it in this sandbox game. Oh, the horror! No, you will take what the Devs consider beautiful and like it!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And, that the two "kings" stated at the 20th anniversary the first conversation witnessed between two players in the beta when it opened up was

"Wanna Cyber???" (and someone on staff won a bet as a result)
Yeah, that makes a great humorous anecdote...I'm just not buying it actually happened.

Probably a good thing that Britain's alleged red light district was recently assimilated by the Borg :tongue:

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I use it :D It frees up some speech macros. I use to use to for selling veggies and for auction gates, but any thing that just talking it's nice for....and of course the insults... The best part. Took me a long time to get the meaning of the desktop icon. LOL I never paid that much attention to it.
I love to get a working copy, I lost the CD I had it on and like I said the link for it will not work, I also use UO Wedding when I am doing long speeches for in-game events with PAS or singing songs during Xmas time across shards.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The most important line in that newsletter is the "12 banned for duping" line.

12 is a lot, it means duping has been ongoing

I was in a house last week that had 40+ diseased rats along the back wall. The display looked kind of cool but... only 10 diseased rats were dropped during that event according to the wiki. I got into the house on a teleport tile, the kind from the customize menu. The owner likely made changes to his house design and didn't know that doing so resets those to "anyone" can use, even if they were private before.

This makes virtually all desireable items worth far, far less than going rates. Don't buy an item because it's 1 of 10, buy it because you like it's asthetics or something, because it's highly unlikely anything is 1 of 10 anymore. Rares aren't rare anymore. Notice that the who's who of "rares" are also selling and liquidating at a rapid pace? They know.

Buy things because you like them, not because you think they are rare or worth what they are asking. Sad that the few ruin it for the majority, still. Glad Mesanna is taking out the ban stick again.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
12 bans for duping......wow I wonder how many didn't get caught.

12 Duping Bans... wow...

I find it astonishing it still happens, lets hope those guys get hit hard, and they find a fix.

Duping is one game destroying issue, that the players cannot fix, so it does need developer intervention.

I also find this is justification to my stance in the Invisibility Items thread, when I said I was convinced that these things are being duped and used like water in PvP.

I took a lot of flak in that thread, for trying to get something done about that issue, posters told me they weren't being duped and I was wrong for thinking they could be - I would suggest many of the posters here who do not play the game, or are just looking out for their own interests, start noting the opinions of those who actually play the game and can sense these things correctly.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you remove the possibilities to dupe then the RMT sites will disappear as well.
I highly doubt that as most of them don't dupe, if they removed EM Events with rares then you'd have a point... though that's still not a good solution to the problem

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I highly doubt that as most of them don't dupe, if they removed EM Events with rares then you'd have a point... though that's still not a good solution to the problem
Wow just wow, do you work for them or something? How is it a RMT site can sell an item like a xfer token for half the price it costs in the store if they are getting them legally?? They are trying to lose money. LOL Ive read some stupid replies in my life on here, but just wow.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be telling to know what was being duped, EM items would be the first to come to mind but a smart person might also be looking at stuff like suits. While I have yet to build a EM farming squad I can imagine that scrolls and armor are worth the venture.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, that makes a great humorous anecdote...I'm just not buying it actually happened.

Probably a good thing that Britain's alleged red light district was recently assimilated by the Borg :tongue:
That went on before there were toons you could use also. We would laugh because the females were most likely a 12 yr old boy. There were few females using computers in the late 80searly 90s The average computer user was a 35 year old male in the mid 90s.
If you played The Sims Online you would have easily seen this going on.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I saw it happen on a MUD after it came back up after a massive revamp that took it offline for a couple weeks (the people accidentally did it on the MUD's equivalent to general chat), but that was after UO launched.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That went on before there were toons you could use also. We would laugh because the females were most likely a 12 yr old boy. There were few females using computers in the late 80searly 90s The average computer user was a 35 year old male in the mid 90s.
If you played The Sims Online you would have easily seen this going on.
I saw it happen on a MUD after it came back up after a massive revamp that took it offline for a couple weeks (the people accidentally did it on the MUD's equivalent to general chat), but that was after UO launched.
Oh, I completely believe that there has been cybering in online games. I've literally logged into the middle of it. Amusingly for me, my presence was a total buzzkill!:naughty-angel:

I've seen it in UO, WoW, STO, and it was everywhere in Second Life (that entire game world needs dipped in Lysol!). Freaks even tried it in the online Disney games, but their moderation staff 's only setting was draconian (RIP PotCO).

Regarding the dubious gender behind female characters, just remember that they are G.I.R.L.s (Guys In Real Life) and you'll be fine.

And those books were completely blank. lol.
Didn't you have the secret blacklight crystal? :devil:

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Wow just wow, do you work for them or something? How is it a RMT site can sell an item like a xfer token for half the price it costs in the store if they are getting them legally?? They are trying to lose money. LOL Ive read some stupid replies in my life on here, but just wow.
Are you serious? Bulk xfer tokens... that's your flag? ... these are in the game for nearly 10 years now? Maybe a bit longer? You can't be serious? What was that in-game system where you got an xfer token for $9 retail, and then they got discounted to $3.99 at some big box? The reality is a lot of posters have been saying "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE D00PZ", in regard to the last EA post in reference to banning counts. I think the tail is wagging the dog, and honestly that's the only logical way to take their post. I haven't seen anything like what we had in 2008 with all of those rares being thrown around, and the game being an absolute mess. I think the economy and game over all are healthy, but that's just my opinion.

In reference to the "RMT will shut down" statement, you mean a multi-billion dollar industry is going to shut down due to developer intervention? Give Blizzard, NCSoft, Riot, or any developer a call and ask how that's going. Aside from the data that RMT has been PROVEN to help the curve of abandonment in MMOs (ie Broadsword keep subscribers, not lose them) I would imagine this is data is basically industry standard from a development standpoint. That doesn't mean they shouldn't police their game, but you have millions of botted accounts being sold in League of Legends, you have billions of WoW gold turning over every year for nearly as long as UO has been in existence, you should choose battles that make the time cost worthwhile. RMT will never go anywhere, and never has. This game is fortunate in that it's fairly consolidated in an organized fashion, but from my experience with other MMOs (and MMO like games) it's normally much more prevalent and unreliable. I remember the Diablo 3 launch being a prime example, when the Chinese were calling in that accounts were hacked, to social engineer the Blizzard CS, just bad actors.

Eh what do I know anyway

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Under the bans, "4 Solicitations". I wonder if those 4 are RMT player bans. *crosses fingers*
How can it only be 4? I come across 4 in just a few hours of gameplay on a couple shards. You mean in a whole month you could only locate 4? Thats pretty weak.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

While I am not exactly against RMT I think them advertising in game is an absolutly terrible look. As far as how they price things so low....

This would be one way:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultima-Online-8th-Age-PC/dp/B000B6R0RE

As you can see for 17 bucks gets you a transfer token and advanced character token. Also buying from other countries (in real or by proxy) you can take advantage of currency exchanges to get cheaper stuff directly from EA

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be telling to know what was being duped, EM items would be the first to come to mind but a smart person might also be looking at stuff like suits. While I have yet to build a EM farming squad I can imagine that scrolls and armor are worth the venture.
I would of said EM items but these days I would imagine a book full of 5.0 sots or 120 power scrolls would be way more profitable. Also let's say you dupe a book of pinks, when you remove the scroll does this get around the "duped" flag I wonder?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
An IDOC recently fell on Lake Austin, and it had hundreds of 60k deeds of all the colored stuff, and many other similar items one would expect from duping.

If the owner was caught, normally the contents would have been deleted.

It makes me wonder if they goofed, or something happened to the duper in real life (incarceration, death, etc.)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I am not exactly against RMT I think them advertising in game is an absolutly terrible look. As far as how they price things so low....

This would be one way:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultima-Online-8th-Age-PC/dp/B000B6R0RE

As you can see for 17 bucks gets you a transfer token and advanced character token. Also buying from other countries (in real or by proxy) you can take advantage of currency exchanges to get cheaper stuff directly from EA
Thanks. That should fetch more than $17 worth of gold.