• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO: It could be easier

N

nynyve

have 35 years experience in playing rpgs. I began with D&D, and have played complex rpgs like Rolemaster & Champions. I have spent hours rolling up s single character and have experienced rpg combat during which a single short battle could take many hours to resolve.

I played my first computer game in 1984. I have played UO since 2000. I have also played WOW, and have several 80th level characters.

Given my experience, I feel reasonably qualified to judge the complexity of a game.

I recently came back to UO after a long hiatus playing WOW. I contemplating canceling my UO accounts several times, but the thought of my lovely houses kept them alive.

From the first moment I entered UO, I loved it but found it frustrating. I had the feeling of walking into a long & incomprehensible conversation. Now coming back, I still feel that way.
There is so much a new player doesn't know and is hard to find out. I find Haven considerably less helpful than the WOW starter areas, which gently ease you into the game, and have convenient hover text over key objects wiht "What is this?" I might add that reading "There will be no deaths this year..." is not reassuring when logging in. It did however make me feel glad I wasn't playing last Halloween.

As an example of how screwed up the UO can be, when I returned I decided to create an archer. The system actually let me create a character that didn't have the strength to use a bow. Imagine how this will affect a new, inexperienced player.

Combat: Make the targeting easier. It can be impossible to pull the targeting bar quickly enough to kill a monster--and targeting a fast moving critter like a slith is impossible without it.

Did I mention that until some kindly player told us about targeting bars, macros, and the spell bar, we died like flies? We learned this after we left the starter area.

Ok so we upgraded to the Abyss. The upgrade was a rotten experience. Another thing that could cost customers.

So I decided to make baskets and some stains. I finally managed to get all the ingredients I need. It took 3 characters and 8 weeks due to time considerations. My mage, my tinker and my alchemist were all involved.

It bothers me that it took so long make a simpler container and something to dye an object a pretty color.

I still can't figure out exactly what I can dye, and what dyes turn what objects different colors. I found the lists provided less than helpful.The armor dye chart was useless to me since my characters where leather, and I wasn't interested in dying armor.

So I can make stains, but due to lack of info don't know what colors to make or even what the results will be.

Same thing with crafting. The difficulty is mind boggling. 100 rock to make a gargoyle bed? I failed making the first bed with a +26 masonry bonus and lost 35 rock. I also don't know what the bed will look like in other colors. Once again some info would be useful.

Failing on making a stone table? It's deco for heavens sake, not some rule the world pvp or pvm item.

We still haven't figured out how get into the Abyss. While I can understand the philosophy of "We would like you to explore the game and find these things out." however being incredibly busy, I thought that the rat in maze approach to get to the new area was insulting after we paid for the upgrade. Especially since the upgrade didn't even bother to tell you how to get an existing character to Ter Mur. I would up using a rune that someone left at Luna bank.

Please accept the fact that many players have busy lives, and the "explore and find out" is frustrating to someone who has limited time. As is the "I guess I'll have to look this up an Stratics to figure out how this works" is equally frustrating.

Doesn't it bother anyone at EA, that after the customer paid for the upgrade, the customer has to go to someone else's website to figure out how to get to the new area?

I've tried 1 Ter Mur quest to date. I almost don't want to bother with the other quests because I am assuming it will involve looking more stuff up again or stuff I don't understand. Bad attitude I know, but given that I seem to spend more time on Stratics trying to figure out how UO works than playing the game, it is how I feel.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail good fellow,

I think the game is consistent with Ultima II and the later games. I remember using grid paper to map out the dungeons in the earlier series and figuring out the writing on the cloth maps to get through the game because it was a puzzle.

It is my view that they have kept this trait of the ultima series consistent and in fact I find it remarkable after all the designers that touched the game it has remained somewhat mysterious.

I remember making four characters in Ultima IV named after my friends and wishing all four of us could play Ultima together. Honestly, UO has been the best game. Remember when we had Germans, French, and Japanese all playing the same shard and we had to have translators to see what people were saying.

I go to stratics too to get hints because I'm not a teenager solving puzzles anymore, but really we both should be going to the bank or into the forest and meet someone. We should be asking strangers at the bank if they have made it through the Abyss and get groups together to adventure.

A person will be clumsy with the targeting just as in real life you would be clumsy hearing someone over to the left and then slowly looking over then deciding you will attack. BTW, if you do archery you will auto fire and it can be easier getting started with targeting.

One thing I did during the ML beta test was start a guild and recruit whoever wanted to go do the new dungeon. Let everyone recruit and try to tame the latest creature or sovle the puzzle to get to the next room.

-Lorax

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you can't figure out UO, you wasted 35 years o.... well, no, you wasted it either way, sorry.

Tiny Dancer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had to smirk at some of your comments... With so much experience in rpg's I would have really thought you would have posted about how menial and easy uo is to play.

I don't think that is a hard game to figure out and I also think it wouldn't be UO if they handed everything to us on a silver plate. I don't want to play a game that maps everything out for me... that would get boring and monotonous.

Half the fun of UO is experimenting with everything there is to offer, from templates that you can do anything with (you aren't set to one set of skills) and so many different things to do.

You mentioned you have lovely houses...I would think if you could figure out how to customize your homes and use a deco tool that little things like stains would be relatively easy. With stains btw, you can pretty much dye anything. Most people are interested in making everything from their cloths to their deco a different color. As far as how it will turn out, well obviously it will be the color thats in the bottle.

I will also mention another fabulous site to get information on all types of things regarding UO is UOguide.com. There is very little you can't find on that site.
I would also look for a good rune library to use... If you play Atlantic we have several that are very good and easy to use. Goodman's (in Zento) Winterbreeze in Yew (right infront of the first sheep pen) There are also people who mark and sell detailed rune books to help you get around. Lady Rachel, The Bookstore and Mystic Garden all sell these and a couple of them even have little guides on how to do the quest. Like I said, if you play Atlantic these are godsends and pretty much anyone you ask would be able to help you find them.

I would suggest you find yourself a good pve type guild to run with and help you out. On Atl we have several good pve guilds who specialize in helping new comers and returning players get back in the game.

Two very good ones are UWF and The Knights of Ni.

Best of luck to you.

J

JPDefault

I've begun playing UO with the SA launch, and I didn't find it particularly difficult.
Okay, I spent a lot of time reading Stratics and UOGuide, but that's not a downside to me. I also don't have a lot of time to play, but figuring everything out in a minute would be disappointing, and having a tutorial or a tooltip guiding me in every single step in the game woud just bother me.
Once again I think it's a matter of tastes: when I was a tennager I used to read and re-read the game manuals before even installing the game itself. I remember reading and studing Ultima VI booklets for a week before I finally started playing!

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started playing UO at 13, back in 2000.

There was no learning curve.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will also mention another fabulous site to get information on all types of things regarding UO is UOguide.com. There is very little you can't find on that site.
The Stratics knowledge base is more complete imo, especially when it comes to everything SA related.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, but that's only if you can find it.

I don't like the new expanding lists. Control+F was way easier, even if it looked a bit more cluttered.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone who knows anything about UO, also knows that it has one single strength that keeps it going...PvP. The PvP aspect of UO is unique and unlike any other game ever made, which is why it's still around. If you play UO to merely complete quests, kill monsters, and do like the trammies do, then your missing out on the brilliance of ultima.