• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Scheduled Maintenance 7/13/10 – All Shards

C

Cal_Mythic

Latest update

At this time all character data, applications for login servers, vet reward/account age, and the upgrade to the new version of Oracle are complete.

We are at the stage where our internal DBA and Net Engineering are verifying status of all systems before we ramp up to making the shards public.

We will keep you updated.

C

Cal_Mythic

Great, just got home from work and yes I new this was gonna happen. Now it looks like I am gonna have to do some dishes and maybe even some laundry. Ooh I hate doin laundry, means I have to go in the basement.......... and we all know what hides in the basement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grue?!

C

Cal_Mythic

Out of interest, is there anything that we will notice different once the shards are back?
A lot of it is on the backend but one of the major things we are updating will be making sure account age correct for the respective player (important to vets) ...also login server stability.

Most of this update is about stability and ability to verify and respond to any issues players have. On an old DB it's very difficult to get support if you're not certain if it's the DB or the information from the player.

Recovery time will also be better for server startup. (From our side).

In short we're eliminating hurdles to service of the game.

Hopefully this answers your question.

As Hawkeye brought up this is really a big deal for us ... let's everyone know we are still doing all we can for the longevity of the game.

- c

J

James_Mythic

Hey all,

Updated the Herald, we encountered delays in bringing one of the systems online and are continuing to work to get the shards back online as soon as possible; however, due to the delay we are unable to provide a new ETA at this time. I will be updating the Herald each hour until the Shards are online or we can provide a new ETA.

Thank you all for your continued cooperation and patience! (insert ancient saying about mice and men or something...:grouphug:)

J

James_Mythic

You should tell us more detail about what's going on.

Why? Because if you do not, we will start to speculate.

8 times out of 10, what we imagine will be a lot worse than the reality.

-Galen's player
Would you prefer they spend 10-15 minutes explaining it to me, or working on getting you back in game?

What I do know:
- There are no flames or pyrotechnics involved
- Obi-Wan Kenobi is not our only hope
- The hamster wheel required WD40 as it had a slight squeak
- I am the Walrus, Koo Koo Ka Choo.

:gee:

(Of course I'm kidding, but I hope you understand that while it'd be inefficient to divulge everything, we will update you with pertinent information as soon as its available :))

Once I have more info to share, it will be shared, I'm not going anywhere until you're all playing (sorry, you're stuck with me)

Cheers,

C

Cal_Mythic

Right now Net Engineering is looking into the status of the "Warehouse" the server managing character housing data.

At this time we are checking the status in the dev environment before deploying to production.

Translated: We are testing the fix on our side before making the system live.

Sorry, for the delay guys. We have had a few years of data to backup and validate.

I'll keep you updated.

- c

C

Cal_Mythic

Thanks for the update and from a paranoid data technician THANK YOU for taking your time, backing up and validating the data!
As an English Major with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering ... and a Java Developer when it was JRE 1.31 ...

Always have a plan "D" ... :)

Thanks for your patience everyone ..

J

James_Mythic

To clear up confusion I'm on the community team - we handle broader messaging and customer feedback.

That said - I do apologize if anyone was irked by my post, that wasn't my intention. We absolutely do take these matters seriously, and realize that for many of you its primetime and you simply want to play tonight.

This is why we provide updates regularly and post additional information when we can. If you prefer I can post simply that I have no additional information at this time, or not at all besides on the Herald - Personally I'd rather crack some nerdy jokes and hang out with you guys a bit.

Speaking of which, I'm watching Ong Bak 2 right now...its pretty awesome.

I'll brb, time to update das Herald :)

C

Cal_Mythic

We are currently testing character transfers between live shards. It looks good so far.

We are again testing house placement.

As shards come live we will continue to monitor status.

J

James_Mythic

Hey all,

Its diffuclt for the team to provide an ETA right now as its a matter of debugging and waiting for tests to finish. Its important we dot the I's and cross the T's but if an unforseen issue arises that could add additional time.

I updated the Herald at 11:20, in anycase we should have additional info soon.

As always your continued patience is appreciated while we complete this upgrade.

J

James_Mythic

At least an hour left on your movie, think you'll be able to finish it while at "work"?
Heh, I had it on pause for a while actually. The nice thing about Netflix is that even if I don't finish it now, I can always start up where I left off later :p

I'm able to do these sorts of updates from home fortunately, so when I say "watch" its really more background entertainment while I focus on the maintenance :)

I have no idea whats going on right now in the movie, I'm not even sure if this movie has Dialog tbh, haha.

J

James_Mythic

Also, I'll be watching this thread for a few more hours tonight should you guys spot anything odd or encounter any issues. This should not be the case but we want to ensure no problem arise.

Thanks all for your time and patience this evening and have a great night!

J

James_Mythic

I've passed the word on about the EC, are you still unable to connect?

Thanks,

J

James_Mythic

Thanks all,

I'll update shortly once I have more information.

C

Cal_Mythic

Looking at issue with EC currently. :) Will try to have resolved as soon as we can.

- c

C

Cal_Mythic

sooooo are you telling me you guys only tested stuff on the 2D client?

Tisk Tisk that sure sends a bad message since you dont' even use EC hahaha
Actually I use the EC .. it's probably a server config file mixup, and we'll have it resolved as soon as we can.

- c

J

James_Mythic

Hmm and now I see James' post about waiting until morning is gone, and the Herald announcement has been changed to "currently investigating". Does this mean the issue might yet be fixed tonight? (Probably about the time I am 98% finished with the classic client download...) Or does this mean it will still be morning but you're just not saying so...
Correct, immediately after I updated that information it was decided to continue the investigation this evening. So apologies for the misinformation, but it was for a good reason :)

There's no guarantee it will be fixed before the AM, however, they are working on it.

Thanks,

J

James_Mythic

Hey all,

The Enhanced Client is back up and running and you should be able to connect to the game now. Thanks all!