• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Producer's Update - 8/13/10

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just is a simple word. It can mean forthright, and properly executed within the bounds of law. It may also be used as an adverb. For example: “I just love cake” or “Why doesn’t the dev team just ?”

The word “just” tends to get some in a lot of trouble. Another example “I was just adjusting my radio, officer.” Or something I am certain many have heard “Oh he or she is just a friend.”

Patrolling the boards as we do, the dev team tends to see the word “just” a lot in terms of things we have done or have yet to do. “If they would just …”

Well, we have just finished Pub 67. We have just been through testing on the latest internal review of arenas, and we have just finished taking a look all of the fans who will attend the summer Town Hall at the end of this month.

And I am just excited.

What does this all mean for you?

It means we are just as focused on the future of UO as we ever have been.

The media outreach prior to this letter went to quite a number of people -- some who have played Ultima Online before, or know of the Ultima series … some whoare only RPGers. The intent? To open the channel and experience of the longest running MMO to countless who have only heard of the game in passing.

More...

T

Trevelyan

So, Luna gets burnt to the ground, classic shard arguements fire up again and someone who made a very cool (but possibly exploitable) feature is introduced and then goodbye'd straight in the same update.

Interesting how there is nothing about the new player updates, stuff for returning players or anything that was mentioned in the article on that other site.

Also: First! :D

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm hoping classic shard is around T2A era. With AR and magic resist. Plate being the best armor around, but each step up having a dex penalty again. Mages that can run naked for a little while, with RA cast. Magic reflection that reflects magic.
No customizable housing? I can live with that, decided that the last time I passed one with those awful crystal tiles all over it. :p
No follower slots, so mages can summon all the evs and whatever they want to (keep in mind there was no real MR items, so mana kept most followers at 3 or 4 anyway).
Order/Chaos, Pk and Anti-Pk, player run towns can actually enforce justice with the player town's guild, when someone comes in and starts crap.
Transfers to the classic shard are available...but when you do, your skill caps go back to GM (no PS's are on it) and your stat cap goes back to 230.

Gm made items are da bomb, there are no runics, no arties, no marties, no imbuing.

*rolls over carefully, hoping not to wake up and end the dream*

See yall there!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uhg I wish he hadn't called the EMs "rockstars". I hear that goddamn nouveau corporate slang so much at work.

T

Trevelyan

Forget that, train from scratch. Several of us band together to buy a house!

5 chars max (no 7th slot).
No ugly item properties.
A use for reagents again.
A market for taming lower level animals (horses etc)
Old veteran rewards only?
Nice colours
Midi music only
Rehues instead of post-LBR artwork

Now, for me the interest is the future of a "classic shard". Where would it "go", how would it progress? Would we have the scenarios of 2001 onwards? Would we have the invasion of Trinsic?

One thing I feel we will never have is something that makes "classic" UO for me: Counsellors, companions and seers. These guys made what UO used to be and, without them, the true "classic" experience cannot be experienced.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What fixes are to come? I didn't see anything anywhere about fixing anything.

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not that a Classic Shard really bothers me but a character transfer to any classic shard is just bad imho. That entirely defeats the point a Classic shard. Half the fun is the danger in training. Going out into the wild to gain skill and not knowing if a PK is out there.

Everyone who could afford a transfer arriving with GM skills would just be silly.

B

Babble

'Arenas are currently in testing. There were several features that were extremely buggy, and we do honestly prefer to find every bug or feature before it’s sent to Test Center. '

This must be a change done before the last publish which introduced some buggy features which were known.
:p

But thanks for the laugh

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is me laughing out loud because nothing was really said.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I agree...no transfers to the Classic Shard.

BTW...thanks to Cal for giving us Classic UO fans some much needed love!!

:grouphug:

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Little disappointed of the comments made of Siege in the Producers Update.

Ah well, worth a try I guess. Back to hiding in the shard shadows...

C

Cal_Mythic

Little disappointed of the comments made of Siege in the Producers Update.

Ah well, worth a try I guess. Back to hiding in the shard shadows...
Hey Symma. Didn't mean to imply we were done ... but wanted you to know we will make changes as time permits in the dev cycles. Also, I'd like to see the impact of this change before proceeding. :)

- c

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
classic shard - it'll be popular for a year and then it'll turn into siege perilous part 2 - what a waste of developer time

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Quickly: I spent a Sunday going through the 3rd party program detection report. I have identified more than a few accounts, and these will be handed off to CS to take action. The first step is a warning, the next I think we will have a little fun with.
A few huh? No one expected you to even remotely mention the number(s) you're finding, but please don't downplay the results we all know you discovered....scared you didn't it?

H

Hanokh1967

So the update is to tell us that basically that you are going to do nothing. What a surprise!

Arenas--can't make them work so we'll test them a few more months!

Classic Shard--"However, I do a have a focus team dedicated to evaluating the options and features. The first steps will be a survey on key features and interest, should we decide to move forward."--again we are going to do nothing while we bleed a few more months worths of subs out of people.

Seige--one miniscule change that we have to evaluate for a indeterminate amount of time before we consider making any other miniscule changes.

Cheaters--we know who the cheaters are but why ban them when we can bleed some more months out them while we warn them.

Intern--well we got some free work out of a summer intern, but now its time to go back to doing nothing.

"We care to grow, evolve, and prosper."

Cal, how do you expect to do any of three above things by doing absolutely nothing?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not that a Classic Shard really bothers me but a character transfer to any classic shard is just bad imho. That entirely defeats the point a Classic shard. Half the fun is the danger in training. Going out into the wild to gain skill and not knowing if a PK is out there.

Everyone who could afford a transfer arriving with GM skills would just be silly.

I agree.

If a Classic Shard will be brought to life transfers to and from should be NOT possible.

Possibly never but at the very least they should be forbidden for a good lengthy time, say 2 years.

Also, PLEASE, do NOT open up any new shard before the anti-cheat code is up and running at full speed.

If a New Shard comes to life, any and ALL players should be playing it the same way, not have some gaining an edge because they script, hack or cheat.

Both issues (no transfers and no new shard before anti-cheat code is fully up and running) are VERY important, IMHO or, otherwise, the new shard will just be another lost opportunity, at least I am concerned.

Oh, and for those found cheating on the new shard, be it to train up skills, gather resources or whatever, ZERO TOLERANCE !!

PLEASE.............!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
classic shard - it'll be popular for a year and then it'll turn into siege perilous part 2 - what a waste of developer time

It depends how well it is implemented and done carefully, IMHO.

That is why I think it important to make it ONLY happen after the anti-cheat code is fully up and running and with a ZERO TOLERANCE towards any who will cheat on the new shard, be it to train up skills, gather resources or library collectibles or hack to gain an edge in PvP.

And of course, no transfers in and out, at least, for a good, lengthy while.

The Classic shard to prosper should be what many players who left UO always wanted, a cheat-free environment where truly only one's own experteese and real skills are what matters in fights, not one's own knowledge of the latest and coolest cheats......

At least, that is how I see it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few huh? No one expected you to even remotely mention the number(s) you're finding, but please don't downplay the results we all know you discovered....scared you didn't it?

Well, regardless the numbers, the warnings will just ring bells and not stopping the cheating will have consequences.

Finally a cheat-free Ultima Online........

Wow, I had been dreaming to play a cheat-free UO for so many years I am kinda astonished to see this finally happening.

Is this a dream come true ??

O

Old Man of UO

Cheaters = all armor/ weapons / backpack drop to the ground, and underwear turns bright orange.

That would be a start for non-banning punishment.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Arena... lol. Just make a clear spot in a house and duel in there and add who ever you want fighting to the access list.. I have a house that has arena seating just for it.

Fix the already added content. Don't bypass it and make more content you need to fix.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh no... I have to say my heart sank when I read this update. In part because the vast majority of it was dedicated to things I personal had no interest in, but mostly because the little mentioned for the Live Event was so disappointing. It reminded me of the last Event I took part in, way back when I first played... the cursing of Yew, which had such an obscure secondary target, many shards were unable to work it out in time; UOGuide still isn't too clear on what it actually was, even all these years later. I know we failed it on Europa, possibly because we cured all the trees so quickly on the first night and thus cut off the timer for the second part.

In this case, let's take what little information we have;

So you’ve battled the Chosen,
Actually, the event was set up so you could battle either. Myself, I've battled both, and earned the reputation with both on different "Good" and "Evil" (or at least, just materialistic and cheeky) characters. And the second part, you don't need to battle any at all. The Power Crystals can be harvested from Blackthorn minions if need be. Indeed I'd be interested to know if anyone has bothered with the second part, as Bane Dragons have proven curiously unpopular... I suspect the new Bane Recruiter has had to resort to laying trip wires to try and stop people running past on the way to the Twisted Weld instead! The Meer on the other hand, don't even seem to have noticed there's a war being waged against them...

the crystal has gone missing,
Which we couldn't prevent...

and it seems that everyone is falling in line with the easiest route to get the spoils of the game.
Ok, no you might have a point that it's not "Humble" to click the reward chest... if you'd not made it the exact same mechanism for at least 2 global events before this, including the one which was directly serving our Queen when she asked us to find from Ricardo the code which opened the Vault which led to the Crystal in the first place... And is obeying the call of your kingdom un-virtuous? *sighs* You know, the Quest Of The Avatar would have been much, much easier if he'd said to Lord British at the start "You know, I can suddenly see into the future and it'll release the Guardian if I bother with this so... I won't. Sorry, you can stuff your virtue of Valor, I'm staying at home!"

Furthermore, "easiest route"... and "spoils"? Would that be the Bane, or the Ophidians? Because it turned out that although killing the Ophidians was the easiest to do physically, and possibly the less virtuous path, the Bane reward was mostly unwanted except as a future rare. The best reward people seem to have decided was the Matriarch Tongue, so simple greed meant, at least on my shard, people were fighting the Bane most instead.

Of course, it was certainly a humbling experience to fight up to a few hours against the forces of evil, and then for the vast majority of times to actually be told at the end of it "And if we look in this box we see your efforts were worth... A leather tunic you'll just leave on the floor by the box!" But I suspect that level of awareness isn't quite what we were supposed to be thinking.

Seems it’s very easy to be evil when it’s so obvious that that’s what the devs want you to be.
Evil? The Bane Dragon requires only "Taming" to collect; is Taming now evil? It can be fed from just killing the genuine evil in Castle Blackthorn, or if you can ignore it's own evil spam about being peckish, you can just use Tasty Treats and never deal with the Bane themselves at all. Mine has not eaten a Blackrock Stew in it's life yet, although not for virtuous reasons, but because it's only just become peckish, and I've not got around to trading any power crystals in for one. Is that still an evil act then? Is just owning one sinful, because it's such a powerful 3 slot creature? And it's an Evil aligned creature yes, but so are Mares, Rune Beetles... and never mind the Necromancers running about the lands! Britannia is in a lot of trouble if we're going to be judged on the hinted at standards so far...

But were the Ophidians "Good" in turn? The way I read one of their lines of text was that they were wanting to "come in from the cold" as it were, and I played my good character that way in turn; He fought for them them to show former enemies could become friends. And because Compassion means not killing a creature that has shown it can make a moral choice, or which seeks to end the fight. But they weren't ever really in the official fiction were they? So maybe Queen Dawn thinks we're all prostituting ourselves to former invaders of Britannia for nice shinies eh? *sighs again*

Just a warning: Magincia is a town of Humility. What are some ways to be humbled beyond being burned to the ground?
Big bane camp is built on it's ruins permanently? Well it's a bit late to stop that now, as there's no way for the Meer to even be made aware people are selflessly defending them, even if they thought they should do it in order to save Magincia. Which it's not exactly clear they should, what with there being no actual war and that. I suppose we could organise a "Boycott Blackrock Stew!" movement, but then as mentioned I think people are doing that accidentally anyway. We could all go and pummel the Bane for absolutely no reward too I suppose... if those invisible item filchers turn up like they did in the throne room again however, it's all going to feel even more pointless... and nothing says "humble servitude" like enforced impotence!

Seriously, I'm being deliberately sarcastic because I played the early Ultimas because they in turn had sharp plotting; And Humility then wasn't about denying power, because using that power virtuously was itself a virtue. It was about not seeking fame, or reputation, or glory for the acts that you did. In Ultima Online however, you need Fame... For Sacrifice! And good luck fighting against Bane Dragons without something at least as good as a Bane Dragon. The very logic of the game universe itself has not allowed us to be classically Humble. Even the Virtue itself isn't in game yet

So... unless the next acts really tighten up the wider structure, I can't but feel we're on course for a disaster; events where you damn yourself through your own actions better damn telegraph the choices as they'll be interpreted well in advance, because trying to guess hidden motivations IS... NO... FUN. It's frustrating and makes people feel used, and dirty, because they've been playing a game they couldn't realistically win all along.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I think if it doesn't draw back old players, the ones that left because they don't care for the current version of UO, then you could be right. I mean, most of the current shards are barely populated as it is, and if a Classic Shard doesn't bring some people back, most of those shards are going to look like Siege as well.

The problem is, right now, there is NOTHING to bring back the players that enjoyed pre-Trammel/pre-AOS gameplay. Nothing. At least if there is a Classic Shard option, those people may return to the game. As it is, they certainly aren't going to.

Understand, a Classic Shard is not geared towards players that enjoy the current version of the game...that's what the 26 live shards are for. It is meant to entice players back to UO. More players = more subscriptions = more money for EA/Mythic.

Keep in mind, there are a lot of players that have left UO over the years, more than there are currently paying for active subscriptions in fact...and the fact that those people chose to quit the game indicates that there is something about it that they don't like now.

You can ignore the facts if you want, but there are a large number of former subscribers, and some current subscribers, that actually preferred the Classic Era gameplay over what is currently being offered...and by offering those people nothing, there is zero chance that they will ever sign back up for UO.

T

Trevelyan

Yet I again I agree with Adol. I think story and event-wise, UO is far too linear with too little choice. Choosing an alliance has little to no effect and major things have not been able to be influenced by players since the time of Calandryll, with things like savages and orcs and the swamp (which we couldn't really change).

Things like the destruction of Haven, the ultimate turnout of invasions (permanent loss of towns, etc), the stealing of the crystal, are things that should be entirely in our power as players.

Oh and the irony is, anyone who has not accepted a reward will likely never get any benefit, as is the nature of humility. So why ever implement a virtue for it, if it is it's own reward :D.

Heres an idea; Humility could work differently in so much as your character starts with it and it is subsequently removed. Double clicking reward chests, accepting rewards for NPC quests would all lower your humility; declining said rewards would raise it again, though at a lower rate than acceptance. Benefits for having humility could be never revealed to the player; perhaps they would be nothing, perhaps it would be a hidden luck bonus, perhaps DCI, HCI etc bonuses, who knows.

An interesting scenario would be that for doing escort quests you gain Compassion but lose Humility. Very in-theme with the Ultima games, every action you do could gain and lose virtues; Justice gains from aggressive PKing could lower compassion, Compassion and receiving rewards could lower Humility, Sacrifice could lower Honor, Honor on multi-person kills could lower Justice or something. I dunno.

I went off on a tangent there, I like the idea of a working virtue system :) and on-topic; I remember Humility was going to be through helping new players, which would be possible through the gains mentioned in "A Call To Arms" (that is still not discussed, a week after being found elsewhere :D).

B

Beer_Cayse

without transfer, please. the rest I could take a real good liking to. No stat/skill locks ... use skills wisely to keep things balanced.

Does this also mean that spawn just might be boosted? Around T2A to Tram period, spawn was really pretty darn good ... overland and in dungeons.

I'd love for Brit Forge to become the commerce hub ...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like somebody is getting practice in writing speaches before running for office. What office you running for there Cal. Whole lot of words and nothing said. TY for the update

J

Jhym

I have no problem with intro of a "insert definition of classic" shard...

however I have always had issue with the added development time and money required for it.

How about if the classic shard is only accessible to those who buy a "classic" token for, say, 12.95. That's to pay setup and maintenance costs.

Then if they find they don't get enough up front takers to pay for it, they can shelve the whole thing and feel good about it.

If they get enough sales and it's popular, they can add more shards as needed.

C

canary

Wow, an update about... nothing.

I can see why it took so long to write. rolleyes:

Cal should be embarrassed he wrote this. It addresses nothing. He could have written just 'SOON' across the board and be done with it.

G

Green Mouser

Arenas.....So they are moving gate huggers to arenas? Nice use of limited resources. Classic shard concept....should die, but if Arenas was a worthy use of resources then....Why the hell not spend resources on back stepping and start maintaining a 4th rule set (Fel, Tram, Seige and Classic) in 2 different clients. Hope you are hiring....ooops you let go your intern.

Sorry for the negativity but the pvp love in the past has had little traction (factions is all i hear about..umm not). Just where is the fuzzy feeling of success coming from?

I hope the announcement the 28th is a flying world or Ocean Expansion or just anything big. I want to not notice the beltway rush hour traffic home because I am excited......Arenas? Even in the hey day when they ran the tournaments with the shard populations we had then the turn out wasnt HUGE....But few of you at Mythic remember those days so its rehashed in a different way...Arenas? I cross my fingers that the 28th is more

C

Cal_Mythic

Nope. Nothing not manageable :)

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, another producer's letter full of vague fluff that as many people have stated, addresses nothing of consequence. :lame:

Cal,

You might want to pull your head out of your focus groups and dish some of the info on what else you're working on in place of lots of words about nothing.

You try to hype people with your letters, its obvious.. and a good tactic. However, you need to have actual, tangible things to hype. Arenas have potential. A classic shard does not. You will never find a business model that will allow you to waste the time and resources making a special shard that a few dozen people *might* enjoy. This also assumes that you can even reach a consensus as to what a 'classic' shard is.

The 'live event arc' needs to be kicked into high gear. At the moment, the Bane are pointless and the Meer couldn't seem to care less. YAWN.

The EMs routinely surpass the mediocre events that the team is putting out. As others have said, the players have zero impact on the live events - this bores people. If it weren't for the shiny trinkets, most people would stay in Luna. You may want to consider giving over near total control of the metafiction to the EMs so they can create open-ended events that vary from shard to shard. Going into the demon siege event KNOWING the crystal was going to be stolen regardless of what we did was a massive turn-off.

C

canary

I want to not notice the beltway rush hour traffic home because I am excited......Arenas? Even in the hey day when they ran the tournaments with the shard populations we had then the turn out wasnt HUGE....But few of you at Mythic remember those days so its rehashed in a different way...Arenas? I cross my fingers that the 28th is more
Arenas I'm wondering how long it will be until they know how to properly understand them.

I'm also a bit appalled Cal's mass email mentioned that arenas are currently on TC when they clearly are not, which makes him a liar. So sad. I pity any player who comes back to see that it isn't around... isn't that what is considered false advertising?

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cal,

Seriously, with everything else that UO needs:
- A new, stable, complete, non-beta Client that works
- Bug fixes
- Completed content
- A Siege Perilous ruleset that gets more than one bone every 2 years
- A unified quest system that brings all prior ones into it so ALL quests use the same engine
- A REAL new player experience (particularly for Gargs and SA which it SORELY needs)
- Completed art assets that make sense in terms of the game (ie: grayscale elven robes so they hue properly)
- Interface updates so that stupid things like being able to overwater or poison your plant don't happen
- And so on and so forth...

I can state with more than a small amount of assuredness that if you spend money developing a Classic Shard™ and throw UO a decade back in time on the hopes that there's still people out there willing to pay for a 14-year-old game with 17-year-old graphics, you will have seen the last dollar from me. And I'm certain I don't stand alone.

T

Trevelyan

Threatening to quit in response to opening a classic shard is both stupid and selfish. I feel that I don't even need to explain why.

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A classic shard would feel incredibly limited, especially after playing SA all this time. Though I would love to be able to decapitate another player.

Also, the EMs do a lot to keep me interested in playing. Not sure how they are on other shards, but Great Lakes is definitely lucky with the two we have.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can state with more than a small amount of assuredness that if you spend money developing a Classic Shard™ and throw UO a decade back in time on the hopes that there's still people out there willing to pay for a 14-year-old game with 17-year-old graphics, you will have seen the last dollar from me. And I'm certain I don't stand alone.
I still don't understand this. I must be really ****-ignorant about teh cost of creating a retro shard. I know players who I thought were fairly middle class or lower mid-class (IRL) who have created retro shards. Free sharders do it all the time. I'm sure none of them have huge corporate sponsors behind them. WTH?!?!?

And I don't even understand the events anymore. Seriously. Not knocking Cal or the EMs or anyone else, I just don't get it. I used 4 chars in the alternate Glow deal, two signed up to be evil and get the glass dagger, two declined and got whacked *grins*
But in the scheme of things, they are all equal, all treated the same ingame by guards and NPCs, it made no difference which way they went. Does that event have an obscure ending yet to come?
Banes vs Ophidians...*shrugs* We shall see how that wraps up, I guess, or if its left dangling. And it might have all fit nicely into a story, and I'm just too dense to figure it out *grins*, that's a real possibility.

But classic shard, other than a little bandwidth and a small section of server memory, I don't understand why it would be cost prohibitive.

T

Tazar

Cal,

I think it must be an unwritten adage U-hall is trying to teach the Dev's...

"Damned if you do - Damned if you don't"... they'll find a way to complain no matter what you do.

Personally, I say "Thanks for the update" (even though there was not much there of personal interest to me) and I am looking forward to more.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But classic shard, other than a little bandwidth and a small section of server memory, I don't understand why it would be cost prohibitive.
The Dev time and resources needed to maintain a 3rd rule set is what makes it prohibitive.

First they have to reengineer UO ‘back’ to whatever era is decided on. The likelihood that a pre-AoS or pre-Pub 16 version of the server code still existing isn’t very high. (If they lost the CC’s original art assets, fat chance they kept a 9+ yo backup copy.)

Then they have to fix the enormous amount of bugs that existed back then, along with the new bugs they will undoubtedly introduce.

Then comes balancing. Nostalgia is great and all, but UO back then was just as poorly balanced as it is now – just in different ways.

Add in whatever extra features they decide to throw in, and we are looking at a massive undertaking that WILL take away from development time for the production shards. This means: less bug fixes, less content, less meta events, less of everything for those who actually pay this game’s bills.

Consider Siege. Has it ever been properly supported? Sure, they throw them a few bones every now and then – but over all Siege has been ignored. Do you really think adding a 3rd server type will fare any better?

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the update, Nothing of interest to me however I appreciate your effort into keeping is up to date every month.

In regard to the Classic Shard - It isn't something I want to play and I can understand peoples negative feelings on it, I don't want the Dev time stretched even further by them needing to maintain both so I hope you consider this too.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Cal,

I think it must be an unwritten adage U-hall is trying to teach the Dev's...

"Damned if you do - Damned if you don't"... they'll find a way to complain no matter what you do.

Personally, I say "Thanks for the update" (even though there was not much there of personal interest to me) and I am looking forward to more.
Thank you for the update, Nothing of interest to me however I appreciate your effort into keeping is up to date every month.

In regard to the Classic Shard - It isn't something I want to play and I can understand peoples negative feelings on it, I don't want the Dev time stretched even further by them needing to maintain both so I hope you consider this too.
I have to agree with Tazar and Mapper here

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Threatening to quit in response to opening a classic shard is both stupid and selfish. I feel that I don't even need to explain why.
It's neither stupid, nor selfish, and while you may not feel the need to explain why, allow me to explain why it is neither:

My money (as well as everyone else's) goes to support UO. I support UO moving forward, which means not turning the clock back 10 years. I think with the state that UO is currently in, with so much unfinished, that spending valuable resources on a "Classic Shard" is an enormous waste of time, energy, and most of all, "Development dollars."

I show my support for the game by continuing to play it. If I feel that the game is no longer moving in a forward direction, I'm certainly not going to continue to support it.

A Classic Shard means spending time on stuff for a completely untested market, and diverting resources away from the game as it stands. I won't support that.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For me the important question is what you are planning for the client future? What uses a good arena system if you are unable to play it because the movement of other players is bad or too fast for 2d players? Or it is jumping around the screen?

What uses the best shard if you have no good client to play with? I think you should first of all think about that, finishing and improving your current clients and then you can consider about introducing new systems, i dont want to say this are bad ideas but who needs an areana system if nobody will play it, exactly the same with the faction system!

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow the natives are getting restless.

Arenas = Great. Nice PvP content.

Please remember unlike stratics where 50% are PvPers, the great majority of players are PvEers. Maybe a new peerless every quarter would be nice to keep the PvEers resubscribing too.

Classic = Darkfall (3400 subscribers LOL) = Mortal Online = Failed business model. End Of Story.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Wow the natives are getting restless.
Nah, rabid is like it on some of them. I blame the parents :)

Our society these days have become nothing but I want what I want and I want it NOW!!! I don't care what anybody else wants unless they want what I want!!

I envision alot of the posters on strat throwing their 3 year old temper tantrums and holding their breath while typing..... Just my opinion tho *shrugs*

Thanks for keeping us informed as much as you are able to Cal.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I appreciate the communication, that's for sure.

I'm not trying to hammer nails into Devs' coffins... but I do believe that a game with already limited resources and with so many incomplete projects can afford to be split into supporting a third ruleset.

Now, if EA wants to launch UO Classic, and do it with a completely separate DevTeam that does not detract from what we get for UO, fine. But given that we already share an art team and community support and game support with other Bioware Mythic games, does anyone realistically believe that would be the case?

Franks and Beans

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope. Nothing not manageable :)
As soon as I start seeing certain people on the shards I play disappear or slow back down to a normal speed then I might actually think the 3rd party detection is doing it's job.

Until then it's just another broken promise from our "friends" at EA.

C

canary

Nah, rabid is like it on some of them. I blame the parents :)

Our society these days have become nothing but I want what I want and I want it NOW!!! I don't care what anybody else wants unless they want what I want!!

I envision alot of the posters on strat throwing their 3 year old temper tantrums and holding their breath while typing..... Just my opinion tho *shrugs*
Much as I envision some players accepting poor customer service as the norm. But hey, its your moldy cheeseburger, dear... enjoy.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

It's neither stupid, nor selfish, and while you may not feel the need to explain why, allow me to explain why it is neither:

My money (as well as everyone else's) goes to support UO. I support UO moving forward, which means not turning the clock back 10 years. I think with the state that UO is currently in, with so much unfinished, that spending valuable resources on a "Classic Shard" is an enormous waste of time, energy, and most of all, "Development dollars."

I show my support for the game by continuing to play it. If I feel that the game is no longer moving in a forward direction, I'm certainly not going to continue to support it.

A Classic Shard means spending time on stuff for a completely untested market, and diverting resources away from the game as it stands. I won't support that.
2 things...

1 - By NOT offering a Classic Shard, they are losing far more subscription dollars than they will lose from the few current players that rage quit (and will likely be back within 2 months) because they took a little time and resources to put up a Classic Shard.

2 - You understand that they are not talking about changing the existing shards back to Classic Era, right? You keep talking about UO 'going back' etc...but the UO that YOU enjoy will not change one iota. There will just be another option for people that do not enjoy what you enjoy. Coke, also Diet Coke...rather than just Coke...and screw you if you have a weight problem or are diabetic. Get it?

C

canary

By NOT offering a Classic Shard, they are losing far more subscription dollars than they will lose from the few current players that rage quit (and will likely be back within 2 months) because they took a little time and resources to put up a Classic Shard.

Stating your opinions as fact earns you a big fail on your post.