• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Official Response to Multiboxing

Status
Not open for further replies.

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Multiboxing is not illegal but Macroing is, and this is considered macroing in UO. If you observe a player using multiboxing please report them and CS will investigate the report, per the TOS.

This message functions as the global reply to the recent discussion we saw on the boards.

More...

E

Eyes of Origin

Hmmm so I will believe it when I see something happen then..... unless GMs answer as soon as the page goes in they wont see what we see and nothing will happen.. we've paged about this on Origin numerous times already about ppl running two chars at the same time for pvp and what not

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ummm..what is "multiboxing"?
Playing more then one character at a time, using multiple computers or clients.
What they said:
Multi-boxing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*edit* foundational to their response would be the assumption that some type of management program is being used for clients that do not have direct access to the game players screen. This is not always the case, but I am guessing there is a large difference in client activity between the two types. For example I multi sometimes in very specific instances but the background client is usually active just long enough to acquire a target and does not cast spells or perform special moves.

F

FishinFool

This makes no sense.

Multiboxing is not illegal
Macroing is illegal (even though its built into both clients)
Macroing is Multiboxing, therefore it's illegal.

More clear cut answers from the CS team.

E

Eyes of Origin

Example............. Char 1 is an archer running around killing stuff... Char 2 is on follow doing the same exact actions at the same time as Char 1
OR Char 2 is on follow and macro'd to heal Char 1...

G

grig_since98

Wait, I don't multi-box because I simply don't have another computer I can use for UO, but how does boxing equal macroing, regardless of circumstances?

How is running two accounts simultaneously inherently "macroing" ( the reason giving for it being forbidden)? By that definition, is playing the game in the same room with another person multiboxing ( this is what I did while playing WAR). What if I run two instances of the client on one machine, say, in order to move items from one character to another account's character without having to log? Is that multiboxing? Does it make a difference if those instances of the client are running on separate machines? What if it is a "virtual" computer run on a single set of hardware? Are two computers connected over a home network each running a copy of the game multiboxing?

By "macroing" surely they mean unattended macroing, as I have a bar full of macros for my character which is a design feature of the EC. How is, say, running one account then hitting a button on another computer running an account to perform a heal unattended macroing? How is that different than telling your playing partner in the same room to throw you a heal?

This is the problem with "simple" solutions to problems.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good freakin' god..I multi-client...pretty much always. Not for macroing but for playing. That includes running multiple clients either on main computer or any of the other 4 computers I always have running as well.

So which is it..is that illegal..because the message you get when you open another client doed NOT indicate it is illegal in any form.

I am now officially confused.

F

FishinFool

Example............. Char 1 is an archer running around killing stuff... Char 2 is on follow doing the same exact actions at the same time as Char 1
OR Char 2 is on follow and macro'd to heal Char 1...
Sorry, but with the totally vague and misleading statement from the herald - nothing to that effect is clear.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since when was macroing illegal? I always understood that it was scripting and unattended macroing that were illegal.

I think they should be stating that multi-boxing is illegal because you are effectively performing unattended macroing on a number of the clients.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Allow me to try to translate:

You are allowed to multi-box as long as you are manually controlling each box. You are not allowed to use a single controller (hardware or software) to simultaneously control two or more characters logged into UO. If you spot a player you suspect is using a single controller to control multiple characters simultaneously, they will investigate the report and thank that person for paying for multiple UO accounts.

E

Eyes of Origin

You guys are making it complicated and its really not......
Running two instances on the same comp to give items to another char, giving them access to a house or something to that effect is not macroing

Having 2 accounts open, macro'd to heal, kill or something to that effect is macroing and could be considered unattended due to the fact you only have one screen open at a time.

The guy who pulls this on Origin goes to the extent of talking to himself with his chars to try to prove hes not boxing, but when you fight his chars its pretty blatant what hes doing... both chars do the same moves at the same time, walk the same path, etc etc...

dont over complicate it. It makes more than enough sense.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just my take on it, it's one thing to have two clients up at the same time and be playing them individually. It's an entirely different thing to have multiple clients up at the same time and be playing them all simultaneously with one keyboard and mouse combination. I think that in this context this is what "macroing" is referring to. It isn't referring to people that have more than one client running, but are playing them individually (for example training pets on an elemental with a bard sitting there who has discorded one or more of the participants).

T

Trebr Drab

If I read this right, they mean that you can multibox if you aren't using macros or scripts to control more than one character at a time.

So, you can be running 2 characters and switch back and forth to control them separately, but you can't use a program to have each character cast the same spell that the one you are running does, or otherwise do things based on a macro, script or program to control extra characters.

Legal:
2 characters, each "make max" in a trade skill, both started by the player.
Illegal:
same as above, but using scripts to reload materials and start producing.

Legal:
2 characters in a dungeon, player sets one on a MOB to attack, switches to the second to heal the first
Illegal:
Same as above, but using a script to read the first character's damage and heal with the second.

I think this makes sense, anyways.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They need to redo this post to the Herald so its MUCH clearer.

WE should not be the ones defining "multiboxing" or "macroing," THEY are.

Further, they need to CLEARLY define the difference between legal ATTENDED macroing vs illegal UNATTENDED macroing.

Better dedinitions from the Devs lead to better CS encounters.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry but that's ridiculous if I'm understanding this correctly.

I paid for the accounts and if I want to use more than one at a time that what I'm going to do afterall I paid for it.

Now if there are players out there using some program to hit one button on their keyboard and all the accounts perform that action then that needs to be addressed and is another issue entirely. I hope that's what the powers that be are talking about.

If that's not the case and using multiple accounts isn't allowed then they need to make it so the EC won't open up multiple accounts at which point I will start cancelling my other accounts.

Be prepared to lose some subscriptions if this is something you plan on seriously enforcing. People are paying for the accounts and should be able to use them. Now if it's players using illegal third party applications to perform functions in the game that this announcement is directed at then that needs to be made transparent.

You can't make things available in the game through legal means and then ask players not to use them or call it "abuse".

If you don't want players opening up multiple clients in the EC then you need to remove that feature which in my opinion would be a **** poor business decision.

You would think it would be good for business to promote players having and using multiple accounts. Why don't you run this by the stockholders and see what they think? You think they want to limit the number of subscriptions? :dunce:

This reminds me of the thread "Help -Option- Character Stuck" issue in which players accuse others who use it too much are abusing the game mechanics.

To which someone wisley replied "I paid for it I'll use it as much as I want to".:talktothehand:

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Further, they need to CLEARLY define the difference between legal ATTENDED macroing vs illegal UNATTENDED macroing.

Better definitions from the Devs lead to better CS encounters.
Signed.
*edit*
And of course I must include the obligatory statement regarding how this highlights the need to discard our horrifically exploitable CC and insure the EC is secure from the same types of corruption.

E

Eyes of Origin

Signed.
signed, but I still think by now people should realize what is legal and what isnt and they should read the locked thread if they dont understand

F

FishinFool

This is an official posistion from the game's CS staff, it needs to be clarified and perfect.

We've all had our own share of experiences with CS, game related or not. CS is either unwilling, incapable or trained not to deviate from the written posistion on a particular issue.

I've played warcraft for years, I completely understand what multi-boxing is and have seen some ingenious and rather creative uses for it.. however, if this is an account actionable policy it needs to be to the point.

E

Eyes of Origin

Well, you know, common sense isn't
I know, but I can tell you this much, I know what it means and I understand what they mean.. I think ppl are over complicating it and making a fuss just to do it.
And because I do understand it, I'm hoping to see at least 3 ppl on Origin get suspensions or bans because of this policy and yes, if they do I will be laughing my *** off

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To expound on a few things.

A certain individual has bragged, openly, on other forums (and people have complained here too) that he runs 1-19 accounts. He can press one button and kill any red in fel in that one attack, which casts the same spell across all accounts being run. He has taken all 19 accounts to EM events to kill whatever and has all 19 accounts saying the same things in game and such and wasn't in trouble for it.

They have claimed they were told it was okay to multibox by an associate producer.

However, having 19 accounts all able to do the same thing with any button push is an abuse of multiboxing and multiclienting.

T

Tazar

From what I understand...

Macroing is not illegal. Unattended Macroing is. By nature, Multiboxing means one of the multiple clients is attended and the others are unattended macroing.

When you are running more than one client at a time, only one is controlled at a time (if you do it right and are not unattended macroing) so if one is standing off to the side to act as a healer, that should be fine.

E

Eyes of Origin

To expound on a few things.

A certain individual has bragged, openly, on other forums (and people have complained here too) that he runs 1-19 accounts. He can press one button and kill any red in fel in that one attack, which casts the same spell across all accounts being run. He has taken all 19 accounts to EM events to kill whatever and has all 19 accounts saying the same things in game and such and wasn't in trouble for it.

They have claimed they were told it was okay to multibox by an associate producer.

However, having 19 accounts all able to do the same thing with any button push is an abuse of multiboxing and multiclienting.
exactly

T

Trebr Drab

Signed.
signed, but I still think by now people should realize what is legal and what isnt and they should read the locked thread if they dont understand
Sometimes I think they leave things open so as to protect themselves legally, in case they have a need to "bend the rules". In other words, not paint themselves into an unexpected corner.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Sorry but that's ridiculous if I'm understanding this correctly.

I paid for the accounts and if I want to use more than one at a time that what I'm going to do afterall I paid for it.
You didn't understand correctly. You are still allowed to have multiple clients running.

G

grig_since98

You didn't understand correctly. You are still allowed to have multiple clients running.
Yes, thats surely what they mean, but is that what the official announcement *says*. They need to be very precise when defining bannable offenses.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, thats surely what they mean, but is that what the official announcement *says*. They need to be very precise when defining bannable offenses.
I think they need to clarify, multiclienting isn't illegal, but controlling multiple client instances with any outside program to be automated and controlled by one account is illegal.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To all those that didn't get the response, it is very precise. There is nothing to be concerned with AS LONG AS you are not controlling multiple accounts with one keyboard AT THE SAME TIME.

This issue stems from people running around in military formation with 6+ accounts with all characters doing the same thing (taking their cue from the main controller) at the exact same time. IF you do not do that, there is no need to get worked up...

Again, the information left by the devs. could not be more clear.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
argh

holy crap

*use of unauthorized 3rd party programs REMAINS a bannable offense*

then they just have to put the carto program on the approved list, applications accepted or not.

E

Eyes of Origin

Now, heres my only remaining question regarding this subject.

Gm response time is horrible..... by time they get the page, the ppl who are running these accounts and programs are normally done and logged...
How are they going to catch them? Are they going to respond immediately to any and all pages that come in, in regards to this?

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then they need to come out and say that. That's not what I gather from reading the brief and vague announcement.

Given the responses so far in this thread I'm not the only one who wishes a more elaborate and definitive explanation of what constitutes multiboxing.

Exactly. They need to be clear in their definition of multiboxing. Perhaps they're synonymous but I find it interesting they use term "multiboxing" rather "multi-clienting"?

Perhaps as Trebr Drab eluded to their are legal ramifications to this issue and therefore a loose definition and silence is the best course of action for them.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, they are keeping their options open. Look at it this way if you are unsure:
If you get banned, you were doing it. :thumbsup:

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Then they need to come out and say that. That's not what I gather from reading the brief and vague announcement.
The first clause of the announcement says, "Multiboxing is not illegal . . . ." I agree that the announcement, as a whole, is confusing. However, the "Multiboxing is not illegal" portion is pretty clear.

Rupert Avery

Sage
Stratics Veteran
to me it says that Multiboxing is not illeagal but macroing is and multiboxing is macroing.. thats how i read it

W

wee papa smurf

Pretty clear cut to me, you can have 10 chars logged in but can only use one at a time! Not that hard to understand :next:

T

Trebr Drab

Yeah, they are keeping their options open. Look at it this way if you are unsure:
If you get banned, you were doing it. :thumbsup:
Heh. This is only a problem because some people try to push the envelope.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you kidding me?

It is quite clear what their intent is, and that is quite simply that multi-boxing (not multi-clienting) IS illegal. What I find unbelievable is that they could have shot themselves in the foot yet again by issuing such a poorly worded statement on the matter and opened the door to the responses seen in this thread.

*shakes head*

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Multiboxing is not illegal but Macroing is, and this is considered macroing in UO"

Yeah crystal clear...
Multiboxing (multiclienting) is not illegal. This means that using more than one comp to run UO or running more than one client is not illegal, as long as you control each one separately. If you are not controlling them separately, this is considered macroing and is therefore illegal.

Plant Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
A lot of people assume that if you multibox, then you are unattended macroing all the time.

I've multiboxed several times and never macro unattended. It's the easiest way that you can do certain things such as:

- Transfer pets between characters
- Transfer a houses to a different account
- Add another of your own character to your own guild

T

Tazar

A lot of people assume that if you multibox, then you are unattended macroing all the time.

I've multiboxed several times and never macro unattended. It's the easiest way that you can do certain things such as:

- Transfer pets between characters
- Transfer a houses to a different account
- Add another of your own character to your own guild
All of those can be done with multi-clienting... (2 clients and two monitors) which is attended.

Running 15+ mages at once all casting flamestrike at the same time is a different story. You not be attended on all 15+ clients at once and they are taking actions.

W

Woodsman

If you observe a player using multiboxing please report them and CS will investigate the report, per the TOS.
I know exactly what they are talking about after seeing the other threads here and at UO Forums.com.

I'd like to know who we report the scripters running through Luna to, because I've paged on on them, and they are still doing their thing long after I paged.

V

Vyal

So if I use two pc's login one account and cast spells on my other account to raise resist thats illegal? doesn't make any sense at all...
Who even cares about multiboxing wtf is the big deal here, outa all the problems in UO they pick the dumbest things ever to care about.

O

olduofan

ok I have a question I always use 1 comp and have 2 clients running when im setting up vendors in my houses also when im decorating and moving things around ? also recently I got bored and tried to steal some dried flowers and herds and kept getting guard whacked also the I had been trying to get the chisels to spawn in brit carpenter shop (no luck I dont think they spawn any longer) and same thing repeatable kept getting guard whacked so finally instead of running around looking for healers I just used my 2nd acc to rezs myself, is this not legal? I also used a char to gate and rezs other chars trying to get the Easter items from blight grove what about that? I never use macros while doing this I just cast spells the normal way dbl clicking the icons...

It would be nice if they could clearly this a little better.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
ok I have a question I always use 1 comp and have 2 clients running when im setting up vendors in my houses also when im decorating and moving things around ? also recently I got bored and tried to steal some dried flowers and herds and kept getting guard whacked also the I had been trying to get the chisels to spawn in brit carpenter shop (no luck I dont think they spawn any longer) and same thing repeatable kept getting guard whacked so finally instead of running around looking for healers I just used my 2nd acc to rezs myself, is this not legal? I also used a char to gate and rezs other chars trying to get the Easter items from blight grove what about that? I never use macros while doing this I just cast spells the normal way dbl clicking the icons...

It would be nice if they could clearly this a little better.
Legal you are only moving one character at a time with a single set of harware

Status
Not open for further replies.