• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] New 3rd Party Program Approved For UO: UO Mapper

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima Mapper 2.0.2 is out with the following changes:
[NEW] Double-clicking the map now toggles the window border and topmost settings.
[NEW] Double-right clicking the map now centers the map on the cursor position.
[NEW] Window can now be resized to 210x175.
[NEW] When window size is too small, menus collapse in to a chevron popup menu.
[NEW] Holding the ALT key while mapper loads will now create a log file for debugging purposes within the Ultima Mapper sub-directory of the user's My Documents folder.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you running multiple clients? Classic client or Enhanced? What Operating System (Window XP, Vista, 7)?
I'm running the Classic Client with UOAssist on XP SP3. The computer is an old Pentium 4 2.6ghz AGP video setup with 2 gig of ram. The video card is shown as ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series. (It will run the EC as well with the only quirk being that my flying gargoyle will
shift upright every few tiles for a moment. My Dell latitude D630 laptop shows the same quirk.)

The first install did as stated above.

I removed the mapper program, reset, and reinstalled the version ending in .39. I was offered a .40 update and started the download. During the download a 'Run as' window appeared. This installation would shift to the initial Britain castle instead of Yew in Fel and changing facets to Malas showed a different location. The 'Run as' window appeared after every restart after that.

The taskmgr application window showed one of the programs for my external USB DVD drive along with the 'Run as' window and ending the USB drive application removed the 'Run as' window as well. Uninstalling the USB drives software eliminated the 'Run as' windows after a restart problem. The USB Drive is a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GP10NB20 USB Device.

A third install was version .41 and is doing what the 2nd install was doing. The Malas character position shows as 1323/1624 and the 'Center on Player' unchecks. (He's actually just west of the south end of the bridge south of Luna.) Setting 'Center on Player' back on changes the facet to Tram and shows the character at the Britain castle starting location.

EDIT ===================================
All facets have him at 1323/1624 and the numbers do not change as he travels.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This may be a silly question, but you have hit "Refresh" and then "Next" at the bottom of the window (mouse over the small tan bar at the bottom to see them), correct?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This may be a silly question, but you have hit "Refresh" and then "Next" at the bottom of the window (mouse over the small tan bar at the bottom to see them), correct?
I clicked the two buttons and his name vanished from the map window. Location now shows 947/852. Remarking 'Center on Player' shows him east of Yew in Fel again. Switching to Malas changed the location numbers to 0/0 and unchecked 'Center on Player'. Marking 'Center on Player' makes no change to the numbers, changing to another facet unchecks 'Center on Player' again. Restarting mapper changed the numbers back to 1323/1624 and the Next/Refresh buttons don't change the numbers this time.

I'm calling it a night. It's about an hour to dawn. I'll play with it again after I get some sleep. The oars have drifted downstream.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've added you on ICQ so we can sort this out real-time, at your convenience.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Was having the same Issue works now. didn't see those buttons thank you for everything!
With the exception I'm running the very sharp program which I am not sure we supposed to say here not assist.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was having the same Issue works now. didn't see those buttons thank you for everything!
With the exception I'm running the very sharp program which I am not sure we supposed to say here not assist.
Good to hear. In the next release, you'll be able to choose whether you want the toolbars to auto-hide. Should address much of the confusion.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I installed mapper on my Dell Latitude laptop. It pedals but still unchecks the 'Center on Player' setting when I change the facet and winds up shifting the map to somewhere I'm not. The marker for my character now moves with my characters travels. Mapper is usable but will shift to where I'm not at. I have some WIN95 & 98 software on the laptop.

As of this morning my tower now will only show mapper minimized or full screen. AGP might just not understand mapper's display requirements. <shrugs> I did a fifth install and it still won't show anything other than minmized or full screen.

Just might be I've got hardware, driver, and software combinations that are incompatable with mapper. That was one of the blessings with Commodore and Apple. There wasn't all the possible variations in hardware and software like with IBM Compatables and Windows.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fact that Mapper works at all is a good sign that it's not some sort of incompatibility issue. Having it working that far, my last suggestion would be to make sure that you have "Center On Player" checked in the "View" menu, then switch facets within the game (not via the "View Menu"). As I said via ICQ, after we've tried everything else (and the log shows no errors), I can't help further without remotely accessing your machine to work with your specific setup.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Possible item. Both my desktop and laptop are running XP Pro.

Removed mapper file from C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Application Data
Did a reinstall of Mapper. Got the setup process this time. There was no download step so the files remain somewhere. The small window version of Mapper now works.
Started CC using UOAssist (Mapper already running)
Mapper shows me at the castle in Britian. Clicked Next & Refresh, no change noticed. Set 'Keep on top'.
Switched to Malas facet with shows me at 1323/1624, not at my house.Clicked 'Center on Player'and Mapper now shows me at Britain castle again with 'Center on Player' still set. Switched facet to Malas getting same location as before with 'Center on Player' now unset.
Recalled to Britain moongate. Mapper still shows 1323/1624 location in Malas. Setting 'Center on Player' again shows me at Britain castle. Recalled to house in Malas, Mapper continues to show me at castle in Britain.'Center on Player' remains set. Clicking 'Next' changed map to showing me east/northeast of Yew in Felucca at 947/871. Clicking 'Refresh made no change.'Center on Player' remains set. Took a couple steps and recalled to house. Mapper didn't change. 'Center on Player' remains set.
*****Recalled to Delucia stables, Mapper changed to show me at the proper location, 'Center on Player' still set. Recall to Papua worked.Recall to Ter Mer west gate worked.Recall to Felucca valley area by Wind worked.Recall to house in Malas worked.
Shut down Mapper & CC (character is outside, not in house), Then restarted CC, then Mapper.
Mapper shows ne at Britain castle.Took two steps by house and recalled to house, no change with Mapper.'Center on Player' was and remains checked. Recall to Delucia stables has no effect on Mapper.Clicking 'Next', then 'Refresh' made no change with Mapper.Recall to house in Malas, then to Moonglow made no change in Mapper.
Set facet to Malas and it shows me at the usual spot,'Center on Player' no longer set.Delucia recall makes no change. Set 'Center on Player' and Mapper now shows me at Britain Castle with 'Center on Player' still set. Rode away from stables and recalled back to it. No change with Mapper.
*****Clicked 'Next' and Mapper shows me at Correct location at the stables, Center on Player' still set. Clicked 'Next' and 'Refresh' again without any change in Mapper. Recall to house in Malas had no effect on Mapper.
Hopefully something else being dealt with fixes this. I don't see a pattern to it.I'll leave it on my computers and check for updates off and on. Maybe a future update will do the trick. :)

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Refresh updates the list of available clients internally, so make sure y0u are hitting Refresh before Next.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Refresh updates the list of available clients internally, so make sure y0u are hitting Refresh before Next.
I'm sending further observations on Mapper's behavior to the contact link on your website.

That 'Prove your human' text is a bear for us old fogies dude... <g>

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading through everything, it sounds to me like Ultima Mapper is working as intended, you just need to Refresh before clicking Next.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading through everything, it sounds to me like Ultima Mapper is working as intended, you just need to Refresh before clicking Next.
Thats working today. Only hung at Britain Castle and didn't switch to Yew in Fel with the 'Next' button once.

This is stirring up my attitude from my Quality Control days. There is something on my end that I usually casually do that Mapper doesn't like. I don't tend to sit and wait on programs to come up, I let them do it in the background while doing something else. I had a notepad window open and was typing in notes on what I was doing and had re-opened the game window that time Mapper hung at Britain castle and didn't switch to Yew Fel with the 'Next' key, but I can't duplicate it. When the computer is showing the marqee screen saver the text doesn't move at a steady speed, it slows and even pauses at times. Perhaps that is affecting things. Possibilities, possibilities. I'll have to wait until it happens again and try to make it happen repeatedly.

This will be fun. :)

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "Next" button is only to be used for switching between client instances. Using it for anything else is erroneous and will only make it seem as though there is a bug that simply isn't there. Once it is tracking, the only time you need to use Refresh or Next is for accessing other client instances.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "Next" button is only to be used for switching between client instances. Using it for anything else is erroneous and will only make it seem as though there is a bug that simply isn't there. Once it is tracking, the only time you need to use Refresh or Next is for accessing other client instances.
Clicking just 'Refresh' leaves Mapper showing the castle in Britain no matter where I Recall to. Clicking 'Next' as well switches the scene to east of Yew in Fel and starts Mapper following the Recall traveling. That is with a single CC client running.

Started a 2nd CC running. Mapper continues to follow the first one. Clicked 'Next' and Mapper now follows neither client. Clicked 'Next' again and Mapper continues to show me at the Malas house no matter where either clients character goes. Clicked 'Refresh' and Mapper doesn't move from the house with either Client. Clicked 'Next' and Mapper follows the first client again. Clicking 'Refresh' then 'Next' and Mapper continues to follow the first client which has UOAssist. 'Next' must just switch Mapper between clients when using two EC clients.

Shutdown both clients and Mapper and repeated the first paragraph with a single UOAssist CC. Got the same reaction. It doesn't follow the Recalls until after I click 'Next' and get shown the east of Yew in Fel scene in Mapper.

Shutdown the client and Mapper and repeated the first paragraph a third time with a single UOAssist CC. Got the same reaction. It doesn't follow the Recalls until after I click 'Next' and get shown the east of Yew in Fel scene in Mapper.

Question now is why my setup here isn't linking to the client on startup and needs 'Next' clicked. From posts in this thread it normally links up fine for most people. There's still a speedbump somewhere.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, let me give you the sequence of events as it should happen.

Open UOA and Mapper (order unimportant, wait for Classic Client to load, then login)
On Mapper: Click Refresh
On Mapper: Click Next (Mapper should be following you at this point. If you have any issues, move around.)
Open a second UOA (wait for CC to load, then login)
On Mapper: Click Next until the client you wish to track is being tracked.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Open UOA and Mapper (order unimportant, wait for Classic Client to load, then login)
On Mapper: Click Next (Mapper should be following you at this point. If you have any issues, move around.)"

At this point Mapper is showing me east of Yew in Fel. The marker moves about that area as I move my character around the house in Malas.

"Open a second UOA (wait for CC to load, then login)"

I get a Startup Error window here. The UOAssist icon will not open a 2nd client.
Opened a 2nd CC client without using the UOAssist icon.

"On Mapper: Click Refresh
On Mapper: Click Next until the client you wish to track is being tracked."

Clicked 'Next' 10x. At no time did Mapper follow either characters movements or Recalls
Clicked 'Refresh' Mapper follows neither character.
Clicked 'Next' Mapper moved from east of Yew in Fel to house location in Malas. Now follows the first Client with UOA.
Clicked 'Next' 3x. At no time did Mapper follow either character.

-------------------

UOA lets you start two clients using it?

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe there's a workaround for multiple instances of UOA, and this was coded to expect multiple instances of UOA. At any rate, it's working for you now. All good.

I don't know why it's showing Fel, try switching facets. If no joy, someone had mentioned that they fixed this issue by forcing an update of UOA. Just make sure "Center on Player" is selected.

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MadMartyr, thank you for taking an active role in this thread. And thank you for having some patience. May it all settle down after a time.

I might suggest to others out there using Norton or whatever that they investigate Vipre instead. A better program that uses less space and eats less computer resources. I switched to it years ago when I kept having issues with Norton. It was recommended to me as a 'gamers virus protection.' Not trying to sound like a commercial, sorry. Just thought I would toss it out there. There are other (better) protection methods out there that will not flag legitimate programs. (Last I looked it was cheaper, too.)

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MadMartyr, thank you for taking an active role in this thread. And thank you for having some patience. May it all settle down after a time.

I might suggest to others out there using Norton or whatever that they investigate Vipre instead. A better program that uses less space and eats less computer resources. I switched to it years ago when I kept having issues with Norton. It was recommended to me as a 'gamers virus protection.' Not trying to sound like a commercial, sorry. Just thought I would toss it out there. There are other (better) protection methods out there that will not flag legitimate programs. (Last I looked it was cheaper, too.)
I know people who swear by Vipre, but I've only seen one false-positive in all my time using AVG. I still recommend it a good amount of the time (even though it's quickly becoming little more than a running advert) along with some good outside anti-malware.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mapper has a new version which downloads, asks me for Administrator Access, gets it, then shows a small Access Denied window. Tried it twice, same thing.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mapper has a new version which downloads, asks me for Administrator Access, gets it, then shows a small Access Denied window. Tried it twice, same thing.
Please hold down the Alt key after launching Mapper (as soon as you click the shortcut). Once you have received the error messages, please submit the debug log generated in your Documents\Ultima Mapper\ folder (debug.log) with a new bug report at the Ultima Mapper web site.

Cypher2

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I decided to give the EC a try and have started using Pincos.

Right now, all I have is a "White Map" which tells me that the path I set to the EC is probably incorrect. Does anyone know the correct path?

Right now I am going to:

C:\program Files(x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Enhanced Client

Should I be going deeper? Or somewhere else?

Thanks.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone else reported this issue. If I remember correctly, it was fixed by restarting the client.

Cypher2

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ended up logging and later restarted the system. Mapper is working great in EC mode.

Thanks.

ablackninja

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
OK, let me give you the sequence of events as it should happen.

Open UOA and Mapper (order unimportant, wait for Classic Client to load, then login)
On Mapper: Click Next (Mapper should be following you at this point. If you have any issues, move around.)
Open a second UOA (wait for CC to load, then login)
On Mapper: Click Next until the client you wish to track is being tracked.
Where is next and refresh on mapper? I don't see it anywhere.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are located at the bottom of the Ultima Mapper window. Please check your settings and be sure that you have it set to Classic Client.

ablackninja

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
They are located at the bottom of the Ultima Mapper window. Please check your settings and be sure that you have it set to Classic Client.
This would explain why, I'm using EC. Will people using CC be able to see the people using EC and vice versa on the map? Also when I first loaded the program the map was entirely white, I tried restarting, and reinstalling but was able to fix it by clicking View then Auto-Hide Toolbars so you might want to look into that.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as you are both connected to the same server, yes.

Yes, I'm aware of the white map issue, and it's slated for the next release.

If it's still not tracking you in EC, be sure to read the instructions on the FAQ page (or just enable Ultima Mapper support, if you're using Pinco's).

Last edited:

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never heard of this program until this moment. It seems great but is it not being updated any longer? The contact form doesn't work over there.

@MadMartyr

Are people using this now instead of UOCartographer? No one mentioned it at all when I was asking other people about UOCarographer and UOAM.