• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Welcome to the new UO.com

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Not my point....but thank you, it's good to know that you have help with that, I know you are spread thin...it also would have been nice to have some sort of announcement that you were looking for people to help populate the *wiki*...unless you already had certain people in mind...which in my opinion is not really fair to the rest of the community but that's neither here nor there.

Speaking of being spread thin...

On a side note...Bonnie is just one person....every time someone has an issue the response is...E-mail mesanna....I don't even want to know what her in-box looks like.

Can some of these issues be handled by someone other then Bonnie so that response time is faster? For example a friend of mine bought a token from origin and it disappeared....of course they e-mailed Bonnie but then again EVERYONE e-mails Bonnie so she hasn't been able to do anything and her $20 or whatever is in limbo somewhere.

No offense to her, obviously she's busting her arse to get things done....but I think she needs some help maybe? I would love to help with the *wiki* but again hate to add another e-mail to her 1000's lol.
I totally get what your saying. But she's not a designer, she's more like a coordinator and a lead. She always tells people to email her with the weird stuff and doesn't really seems to mind. She's really good in that niche. She handles all the bizarre stuff so the rest of the team can stay focused (I assume).

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I totally get what your saying. But she's not a designer, she's more like a coordinator and a lead. She always tells people to email her with the weird stuff and doesn't really seems to mind. She's really good in that niche. She handles all the bizarre stuff so the rest of the team can stay focused (I assume).
Oh I know she doesn't mind it, that's the awesome part....BUT every little issue that someone has goes to her. She has to have like...I don't know...a friend...someone who can even come in and go through her e-mails to see which ones need top attention and what not. Like the wiki thing...yeah I'm gonna e-mail her about it...but would expect someone who had account issues to be in line before me even though I might send my e-mail first...someone to just help her organize....I don't know how many times I've read *I've e-mailed Bonnie and have gotten no response* and other times *I got a response almost right away* and the issues might have been one more important then the other...idk I guess I'm just rambling and I know she puts her heart and soul into UO but she's got to be going a bit bonkers doing it all herself lol.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh I know she doesn't mind it, that's the awesome part....BUT every little issue that someone has goes to her. She has to have like...I don't know...a friend...someone who can even come in and go through her e-mails to see which ones need top attention and what not. Like the wiki thing...yeah I'm gonna e-mail her about it...but would expect someone who had account issues to be in line before me even though I might send my e-mail first...someone to just help her organize....I don't know how many times I've read *I've e-mailed Bonnie and have gotten no response* and other times *I got a response almost right away* and the issues might have been one more important then the other...idk I guess I'm just rambling and I know she puts her heart and soul into UO but she's got to be going a bit bonkers doing it all herself lol.

Like a PR person... :)

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Blah... I am not one to complain usually, but I am not too happy about the wiki being closed off from the general population unless you are on a editor team. I feel like you should have a team together to review content added, you know, to avoid the trolling submissions.... but to tell the community we can't submit content unless we are on that team doesn't really feel like its in the best interest of the community or game.

I might be the MASTER of Dreadhorn.. I have thousands of Dreadhorn pictures, and tactics, and guides, and a couple videos, and I really want to submit all that information into the official wiki to be viewed under the dreadhorn tab... But wait, I can't unless I join this editor team first? What? That just doesn't sound right to me. So many people outside of that team might have a large amount of information for different areas of the game. And now the rest of the community is being denied this information because the person doesn't wish to be on the editor team and/or doesn't get accepted into it.

This doesn't feel like a true wiki to me. I am very disappointed by this =(

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
She is the CEO of UO so to have her permission to be in the groupe is the right way to do it but that doesn't mean she will do everything by herself when it comes to that.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Blah... I am not one to complain usually, but I am not too happy about the wiki being closed off from the general population unless you are on a editor team. I feel like you should have a team together to review content added, you know, to avoid the trolling submissions.... but to tell the community we can't submit content unless we are on that team doesn't really feel like its in the best interest of the community or game.

I might be the MASTER of Dreadhorn.. I have thousands of Dreadhorn pictures, and tactics, and guides, and a couple videos, and I really want to submit all that information into the official wiki to be viewed under the dreadhorn tab... But wait, I can't unless I join this editor team first? What? That just doesn't sound right to me. So many people outside of that team might have a large amount of information for different areas of the game. And now the rest of the community is being denied this information because the person doesn't wish to be on the editor team and/or doesn't get accepted into it.

This doesn't feel like a true wiki to me. I am very disappointed by this =(
If you have something to add please use one of these links http://uo.com/contact/ or [email protected]. Do I want everybody to have access to this, NO WAY and if you are that dedicated to doing this then get in the group and stop trolling.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you have something to add please use one of these links http://uo.com/contact/ or [email protected]. Do I want everybody to have access to this, NO WAY and if you are that dedicated to doing this then get in the group and stop trolling.
I think the obvious point of my post went above your head. Please re-read it so you understand it.
I am not trolling, I am professionally stating my opinion. I have a right to do so as you do. I however am not calling you a troll or discrediting your opinion as you are to me.
Please exhibit a little more maturity in this discussion. Thank you!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the obvious point of my post went above your head. Please re-read it so you understand it.
I am not trolling, I am professionally stating my opinion. I have a right to do so as you do. I however am not calling you a troll or discrediting your opinion as you are to me.
Please exhibit a little more maturity in this discussion. Thank you!
Sorry I should have said stop stomping your little feet instead of troll but the rest stands. A true wiki is stupid and please show me anywhere UO has stated that YOU or anybody else can not send UO information about UO and once VETTED could be added to UO. NO ONE, not one person has stated that you may not contribute and if you think UO is stupid enough to allow access to their web site then you have a problem.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Given the negative attitudes and pancakes about everything that doesn't work as preferred that goes on in these forums, they'd be crazy to open their wiki up to anyone who has a bad attitude about some aspect of the game that doesn't work the way they know it should if the Dev's had a <slam of their choice>.

We don't need potential new players to visit that wiki, read material written with a negative attitude, and have them decide to go check out the next game on their list. They might be people looking for something more than a pile of snazzy modern graphics with little content who would find UO interesting to play.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OMG where is the common sense here people, so it is not a true wiki. Do you really think UO is that stupid, look what happened to UOGuide a while back. You are more than welcome to email UO with your info or you can put in for the wiki group but no everybody wants to come here and throw their little hissy fits. GROW-UP people, if youwant to help then help if not then quit complaining. GOD forbid UO is trying to do something right for a change and do it in a smart way.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry I should have said stop stomping your little feet instead of troll but the rest stands. A true wiki is stupid and please show me anywhere UO has stated that YOU or anybody else can not send UO information about UO and once VETTED could be added to UO. NO ONE, not one person has stated that you may not contribute and if you think UO is stupid enough to allow access to their web site then you have a problem.
It was said that if we wish to contribute we can apply to join the team of people working on this. There is no option to submit information, and no official guide of how to do so.

If it is not a "true wiki" then it shouldn't be called one. The name of wiki has mislead people to believe it is something it is not.

The only person who seems to be stomping feet is you. You are outright attacking my logic. And claiming how you think everything is stupid. Cool. You're in entitled to that view. But it does not change the fact that my points are valid.. and this is not a true wiki. You have validated that yourself. Thank you.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Thats kind of the problem... they didnt say anything about it... they just set up and said hey look my fancy website with no explination of how any of it will work, what will be updated, whats finished etc etc... When you dont have a PR person, community liaison or someone to control the wolves... well this is what you get, a bunch of assumptions that lead to more assumptions that lead to UO trying to patch problems they shouldnt have to because they didnt explain anything.

Collusion.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
@Kyronix - A wiki by definition is a collaborative effort of the users - be they internal users (meaning staff of an entity) and/or external users (meaning end consumers or community outside of an entity).

Perhaps changing the name from "Player Wiki" - as it implies published submissions* from anyone who plays - to "Official Guides" or something of that nature. That will justify the reasoning behind people applying (be it with or without advertisement of such) to be an editor of the official guides on the UO.com site. :) You can run wiki-esque software, but just don't call it that. Professionally, I've helped other companies with their wiki setups, but most of them are not for collaboration and such are titled differently. Encyclopedia, Atlas, Guide, Glossary, Handbook, etc. Anything but wiki. Just because you are using wiki-software doesn't mean you need to call it that.

Is all about semantics - you know how ppl are.

I like the thought of veteran players being vetted by Broadsword to be part-time staff as editors. Having the general player-base submit to their site would be rather... cumbersome - even more so than a "Stratics Wiki" imo. The official guides should be general, encouraging player exploration and discovery of the game whereas more detailed stuff would be produced by the player-base (as already is) on fan-sties. So yeah, I think you guys are moving in the right direction, just need to change that wiki title to something more in line with what you guys are doing/.

I strongly do encourage the use of screenies, please. Like others mentioned, the first things I look for are 1) Game play screenshots and 2) Video of game play (first by the game publisher, then by players). Cannot say how important that stuff is to a video game today. Even console games have at least screen shots. I'm sure the devs there take screenies of your activities. :) Back in the day, it was the availability of screenies on Stratics that kept me coming back here.

*edited for clarification

Last edited:

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OMG where is the common sense here people, so it is not a true wiki. Do you really think UO is that stupid, look what happened to UOGuide a while back. You are more than welcome to email UO with your info or you can put in for the wiki group but no everybody wants to come here and throw their little hissy fits. GROW-UP people, if youwant to help then help if not then quit complaining. GOD forbid UO is trying to do something right for a change and do it in a smart way.
Only person I see throwing a hissy fit is you. I certainly hope you're not in charge of this editor team as you attitude regarding feedback you don't agree with is a little unfortunate.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats kind of the problem... they didnt say anything about it... they just set up and said hey look my fancy website with no explination of how any of it will work, what will be updated, whats finished etc etc... When you dont have a PR person, community liaison or someone to control the wolves... well this is what you get, a bunch of assumptions that lead to more assumptions that lead to UO trying to patch problems they shouldnt have to because they didnt explain anything.

Collusion.
They launched a new UO.COM that mind you people have been screaming for for years and gave no info but DEVs have said that there is a wiki group that people may join and I know for a fact the Dark lady has stated many many times if you have something for UO to email her. There are a lot more wikis out there that do not grant direct access to the info because of people destroying or misleading information. Did anybody with a micron of common sense think UO would give free access to their web site, people really do need to use that gray matter more often. I have been here 18+ years and the old old dev team that use to tell us everything until it got jammed down their throats for not giving us everything that some people said they PROMISED stopped talking to us. People had questions about the wiki and better late than never an answer was given and I guess that isn't good enough for some people here. All wikis I have read you must sign in first to do any editing and IMHO your UO account should be used for that, also wikis do not allow direct access and instant update of info. You edit a wiki page and then submit that page for approval.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They launched a new UO.COM that mind you people have been screaming for for years and gave no info but DEVs have said that there is a wiki group that people may join and I know for a fact the Dark lady has stated many many times if you have something for UO to email her. There are a lot more wikis out there that do not grant direct access to the info because of people destroying or misleading information. Did anybody with a micron of common sense think UO would give free access to their web site, people really do need to use that gray matter more often. I have been here 18+ years and the old old dev team that use to tell us everything until it got jammed down their throats for not giving us everything that some people said they PROMISED stopped talking to us. People had questions about the wiki and better late than never an answer was given and I guess that isn't good enough for some people here. All wikis I have read you must sign in first to do any editing and IMHO your UO account should be used for that, also wikis do not allow direct access and instant update of info. You edit a wiki page and then submit that page for approval.

@Kyronix said "We have a dedicated group of wiki editors, if you'd like to join them you can email [email protected]"

1. They already have wiki editors... as in they have already thought about this but failed to mention it at the release of the website.
2. They still didnt explain it to its entirety. Will the public be allowed to post then await approval? or will these editors be doing the only writing and submitting?
3. yet another thing @Mesanna has to do? GEEEBUS... seriously can she trust no one? How many emails can she handle a day?
4. I agree the wiki page shouldnt be absolutely public... I dont think thats what @Giggles or @Larisa where getting at. I think they just wanted to be able to submit to the page and have it approved. again the UO staff were not very clear with the procedure.
5. I Think all of this will be null and void when the website is actually up and running. Right now its a mighty fine ship with out a crew from what i can tell.

IN the end every bit of negative comments here could of been avoided had UO actually released something with full explinations of how its going to work. Instead they left it up to interpretation and the wolves ran with it. This happens every time UO tries to release something, you would think they would learn by now.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The history tabs in the Player Wiki section of the website give the impression that most of the content was added back in April and a little bit more information was added or edited in May and July by Kyronix. If there is a team of people working on the wiki, they haven't been active in five months or all of their material is still waiting to be approved and made public. While it's nice to see that Kyronix is involved with the wiki and the website, how much does Broadsword expect him to do? What ever happened to all of those additional resources that were supposed to be made available for UO when EA had Broadsword take over? We have a lead developer who is apparently the only developer plus also web master and content generator. What exactly do our subscription fees pay for at this point?

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Gave the New UO.Com a quick look over and so far, it looks awesome!!..Great job:)
I particularly like the Event calendar which displays both player and Em events, hopefully this continues to be updated regularly !!

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
it cracks me up that people would even think for 2 seconds that they'd have to ability to randomly stick stuff into something on uo's main page - lol
*sigh*

Lets try this again.. Any "wiki" that is managed properly, is not going to give the general public the ability to log into the back door of their website, go poking around, and changing information. Of course that is absolutely ridiculous. A true Wiki will allow the general public to fill out a form, in whatever format the wiki is designed in, and submit the form for moderation and possible publishing onto their main site. This form first goes through a editor team that would check the information added, and if all looks well, they publish it.

That does not seem to be a option to us, the general public. As it has been explained, only people on the editor team can write and add information. There is (as of this moment), no option for anyone else to submit anything for review and publishing. That is what I am asking for. Do not isolate the wiki to only those on the editor team. Allow a means and a format for anyone else to submit information. The "team" can then look at it and say "oh yes this is good" or "wow this is crap" and either add or delete it as appropriate.

I am not sure where the above concept translated into "asking for the keys to the kingdom". I am not sure how else I can explain it to make it anymore obvious. I am not trolling, or complaining. I am giving what I feel is constructive criticism to this new system. Take it or leave it I guess. Just please don't take it out of context and turn it in to some ridiculous request.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
*sigh*

Lets try this again.. Any "wiki" that is managed properly, is not going to give the general public the ability to log into the back door of their website, go poking around, and changing information. Of course that is absolutely ridiculous. A true Wiki will allow the general public to fill out a form, in whatever format the wiki is designed in, and submit the form for moderation and possible publishing onto their main site. This form first goes through a editor team that would check the information added, and if all looks well, they publish it.

That does not seem to be a option to us, the general public. As it has been explained, only people on the editor team can write and add information. There is (as of this moment), no option for anyone else to submit anything for review and publishing. That is what I am asking for. Do not isolate the wiki to only those on the editor team. Allow a means and a format for anyone else to submit information. The "team" can then look at it and say "oh yes this is good" or "wow this is crap" and either add or delete it as appropriate.

I am not sure where the above concept translated into "asking for the keys to the kingdom". I am not sure how else I can explain it to make it anymore obvious. I am not trolling, or complaining. I am giving what I feel is constructive criticism to this new system. Take it or leave it I guess. Just please don't take it out of context and turn it in to some ridiculous request.
Oh I so want to make a response... but I promised to be nice. *curses*

All I can say is you see how they respond to questions at Meet and Greets... Think about what you are saying and implying.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The thing I dislike intensly is that all graphics for the 'get started' info , plus all the screenshots are purely 2d. I wish someone would take the time to do a screenshot in both clients. For someone starting in the EC the first 'problem' is what they see on the help page is NOTHING like what they see in game.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The thing I dislike intensly is that all graphics for the 'get started' info , plus all the screenshots are purely 2d. I wish someone would take the time to do a screenshot in both clients. For someone starting in the EC the first 'problem' is what they see on the help page is NOTHING like what they see in game.
Yes there should be a disclaimer. Something about how cool the CC is and what a mistake the EC was, but they still offer the EC as an option. :D

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yes there should be a disclaimer. Something about how cool the CC is and what a mistake the EC was, but they still offer the EC as an option. :D
Or how impossible it is for a fresh new player to master the CC without tons of third party programs, where as the EC is a much more user friendly interface and is easier for beginners to learn :p

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Or how impossible it is for a fresh new player to master the CC without tons of third party programs, where as the EC is a much more user friendly interface and is easier for beginners to learn :p
I have UO Assist. But normally I don't use it. I guess it would be handy if you want to know it's hue 999 gift box, but that's about it :p

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It is sad that CC users have to rely on UOAssist and EC users in Pincos.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LMAO and without Pinco the EC would be a worthless piece of garbage so please don't go there about needing things that others have written to make your prefered UI usable.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is sad that CC users have to rely on UOAssist and EC users in Pincos.
The only thing I use UOA for anymore is to fill BODs other than that UOA is not needed for a run of the mill player anymore. The can easily be played without UOA but you can't say that about the EC, LOL.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
LMAO and without Pinco the EC would be a worthless piece of garbage so please don't go there about needing things that others have written to make your prefered UI usable.
My reply was meant as a jovial one to Captain Lucky and had no intention of turning thread into a name-calling debate of client versus client, as has been debated many times elsewhere. DERP

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The only thing I use UOA for anymore is to fill BODs other than that UOA is not needed for a run of the mill player anymore. The can easily be played without UOA but you can't say that about the EC, LOL.

I still use his for PVP. If they could just add the mouse wheel for macros and auto dress that'd be a good portion of it. Recording macros and chugging potions would be helpful too.

There are more functions like switching weapons if using more than two that equip lAst weapon doesn't work for.

Etc etc

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My reply was meant as a jovial one to Captain Lucky and had no intention of turning thread into a name-calling debate of client versus client, as has been debated many times elsewhere. DERP
No problem DERP

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still use his for PVP. If they could just add the mouse wheel for macros and auto dress that'd be a good portion of it. Recording macros and chugging potions would be helpful too.

There are more functions like switching weapons if using more than two that equip lAst weapon doesn't work for.

Etc etc
Agree it is a nice addon but it is NOT required like Pinco is

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I havent used an add-on utility in years - in either client. I think it makes the game more enjoyable and challenging.
Agreed. EC runs fine without any additional enhancement from Pinco. Especially given that these other third party programs often get buggy around the time of larger releases.. probably not the wisest to become reliant on them.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Am I the only one who thinks the main art at the top of uo.com looks nothing like UO?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Am I the only one who thinks the main art at the top of uo.com looks nothing like UO?
It does look a lot like the old Ultima's and the Old cover art from the old games... if you remember some of the art from UO:R, Third Dawn, AoS etc... it reminds me some of that. Reminds me of this website I still use:

http://www.ds180.net/hansonian/

It has a lot of the same art style.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It does look a lot like the old Ultima's and the Old cover art from the old games... if you remember some of the art from UO:R, Third Dawn, AoS etc... it reminds me some of that. Reminds me of this website I still use:

http://www.ds180.net/hansonian/

It has a lot of the same art style.
I do remember the old Ultima cover art, and I suppose it was easiest simply to recycle it. Just don't think it helps sell Ultima Online. That's not the feeling that draws me to the game every day.