• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Vendor Search on TC1

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup.... We've waited so long for this and wondered if they would ever actually DO IT, that - now that we know for sure that it's coming - I feel a great burden lifted.... This is what will salvage this game, and now that I see that it's going to happen - I'm content to wait and see what they're doing with it... You know they're making adjustments or they would have rolled it out already.... I'm excited to see what it is when it finally comes, because it was 90% complete on first peek (IMO)...

Last edited:

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, I assume, and sorry if this has been mentioned, I assume we're supposed to be able to recall off the map? Since it doesn't say the normal "can't recall off this object", but it does always fail because the location is blocked?

Edit: Never mind. I found the teleport option :)

Last edited:

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At this point why even recall to the vender shop to complete the transaction? It seems it only adds an extra step to the purchase without any real benefit. It makes sense if I would want to then look at the scenery, but once my purchase is complete most likely I will want to be at a bank or house to drop it off. Maybe wear it, but if the purchase is in fel Ill want to insure it and add it in a macro to wear it.

I vote for skipping the recall to the vendor house and allow a purchase to complete from any location I start the search. Search from the bank and complete the purchase from that same spot.

-Lorax

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At this point why even recall to the vender shop to complete the transaction? It seems it only adds an extra step to the purchase without any real benefit. It makes sense if I would want to then look at the scenery, but once my purchase is complete most likely I will want to be at a bank or house to drop it off. Maybe wear it, but if the purchase is in fel Ill want to insure it and add it in a macro to wear it.

I vote for skipping the recall to the vendor house and allow a purchase to complete from any location I start the search. Search from the bank and complete the purchase from that same spot.

-Lorax

You can skip the recall can't you and just run or walk there?

QMSoar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Lorax
Because one of things that make this game great, and unique in a sea of "auction house" fedex games, is the ability to run your own shop. To deco it and give it the atmosphere you imagine, and then to build it's reputation throughout the land over time.

If no one ever visits player shops, then we may as well remove player vendors, and every little corner store and mega mall they have inspired, from the game completely. Then we can have yet another auction house game where everyone just goes to the bank and drops their items in the AH gump.

No thank you.

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because one of things that make this game great, and unique in a sea of "auction house" convenience store games, is the ability to run your own shop. To deco it and give it the atmosphere you imagine, and then to build it's reputation throughout the land over time.

If no one ever visits player shops, then we may as well remove player vendors, and every little corner store and mega mall they have inspired, from the game completely. Then we can just have yet another auction house game where everyone just goes to the bank and drops their items in the AH gump.

No thank you.
I'm a little amazed someone would propose such a thing. (Meaning such a thing as the post you replied to.)

Maybe I shouldn't be amazed but I am.

-Galen's player

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually having to go to the "physical" shop might expose you to scary SOCIAL INTERACTION... Egads! :rolleyes:

If we could do everything from the comfort of our borg cubes, why bother playing at all?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Lorax
you could, I suppose, but even when only testing I easily gave in to the temptation to see what else the shop had for sale besides my intended purchase. On a regular shard I would also expect to occasionally find the owner re-stocking and perhaps stay to chat a while.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually having to go to the "physical" shop might expose you to scary SOCIAL INTERACTION... Egads! :rolleyes:

If we could do everything from the comfort of our borg cubes, why bother playing at all?
Yea! I agree! I love the idea to "beam" around and see all the old places "revitalized" by the vendor search-system. So: Keep it this way. Force people to travel! We are playing an MMORPG with a HUGE landmass, after all...

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have an option wether a vendor is linked to the system. Could also have a vendor option that sales only made in person. Or the 1000 gold as a goldsink is a sad attempt to fleeze honest active players and have a vendor option where sales are made through the UO cloud.

I still see the whole vendor search as a 2 edge sword. There are other reasons why for years complaints about getting rid of the current vendor search ability. And it was not about some BOT dropping books all over every shard. I am a long time Luna house owner. Oldest on my shard and I don't like the ideal of any vendor search legal or not.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have an option wether a vendor is linked to the system.
This is already in. Publish notes say:
Players will be allowed to opt out of the system on a per vendor basis.
If you have a shop with many vendors, you can have some in the search and some not.

If you don't want to pay the 1k gold you can just use the map to locate the vendor without taking up the teleport option.

Last edited:

Strawberry Pie

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hi, I haven't tried this but once on test and liked it. But I was wondering, had a question for those that tried this out much more then I did. hopefully this question hasn't been asked before.

If your in one of the dungeons in fel where you have to run out to go to a bank or something, can you instead go to vendor search while in the dungeon and pick a random item and go to that shop? thus leaving the dungeon

I have another question, would this also be a good thing for a crafter who has no recall/gate or another way around except a horse, be out and about mining or such, then use vendor search to get to a player vendor that's beside the zento gate, or moonglow for instance.

Just a couple questions for person who likes this idea of a vendor search but hasn't tryed it much.

Thank you :)

Gedgerez Tesherd

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

-Lorax
Well, I can understand people from Felucca wanting to use the vendor search & setup shop at their randomly located homes now, especially if they have 7 all red characters. Perhaps if the customer wants to 'skip' recalling to the shop to purchase, just tag on a HEAVY transfer tax, & restrict it to Felucca only availability for delivery? I do know of a free server admin/dev that has messed with the character transfer crate with this sorta global attachment, by use of the help menu, but I'm sure the mythic devs could a better job attaching it to the search menu.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, I haven't tried this but once on test and liked it. But I was wondering, had a question for those that tried this out much more then I did. hopefully this question hasn't been asked before.

If your in one of the dungeons in fel where you have to run out to go to a bank or something, can you instead go to vendor search while in the dungeon and pick a random item and go to that shop? thus leaving the dungeon

I have another question, would this also be a good thing for a crafter who has no recall/gate or another way around except a horse, be out and about mining or such, then use vendor search to get to a player vendor that's beside the zento gate, or moonglow for instance.

Just a couple questions for person who likes this idea of a vendor search but hasn't tryed it much.

Thank you :)

Good questions.

I just went to try out the fell one and no, you can't use it to leave a fell dungeon.

I can't see why it wouldn't work for crafters though. Assuming they're willing to spend 1k.

Last edited:

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is already in. Publish notes say:
If you have a shop with many vendors, you can have some in the search and some not.

If you don't want to pay the 1k gold you can just use the map to locate the vendor without taking up the teleport option.

Was refering to the earlier post about doing away with having to go to the vendor location at all to purchase an item.

Last edited:

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have a luna vendor and my houses are all in fel. Do you guys seriously sit around waiting for someone to come by to make a purchase to talk with them? I think in the last 15 years that has happened to me maybe twice that an owner is even there. Getting interaction from players sounds great to me and not having that lifestyle I wouldn't know what you would be losing. My interactions are typically with a very few people that are long time friends.

At the release there will be interacting vendors in some area with a gank squad at your feet. That may not happen as much as it would years ago, but there will be interaction of a type.

I love seeing decorated houses and apart from using the vendor search as a way to have your house viewed would be nice. I don't decorate mine much anymore after moving so many times it gets tiring taking things out of boxes over again. You know how during christmas there are streets that get decorated with lights for long lines of cars to view them? It would be cool if there was a new list in a town square that allowed a house to be added to a list of houses that could be traveled to. Then clicking it it sends you on a travel sequence of houses to visit to look at the scenery of some theme.

I haven't played other games much besides uo and battlefield bad co so knowing what you detest is not something I'm privy to. It just a matter of convenience to me to not have to travel so much allowing my limited time in uo to be filled with things I really intend to do. I spend four days a week skiing so limited time doing mouse clicks and recall would be more fulfilling.

-Lorax

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have a luna vendor and my houses are all in fel. Do you guys seriously sit around waiting for someone to come by to make a purchase to talk with them? I think in the last 15 years that has happened to me maybe twice that an owner is even there. Getting interaction from players sounds great to me and not having that lifestyle I wouldn't know what you would be losing. My interactions are typically with a very few people that are long time friends.

At the release there will be interacting vendors in some area with a gank squad at your feet. That may not happen as much as it would years ago, but there will be interaction of a type.

I love seeing decorated houses and apart from using the vendor search as a way to have your house viewed would be nice. I don't decorate mine much anymore after moving so many times it gets tiring taking things out of boxes over again. You know how during christmas there are streets that get decorated with lights for long lines of cars to view them? It would be cool if there was a new list in a town square that allowed a house to be added to a list of houses that could be traveled to. Then clicking it it sends you on a travel sequence of houses to visit to look at the scenery of some theme.

I haven't played other games much besides uo and battlefield bad co so knowing what you detest is not something I'm privy to. It just a matter of convenience to me to not have to travel so much allowing my limited time in uo to be filled with things I really intend to do. I spend four days a week skiing so limited time doing mouse clicks and recall would be more fulfilling.

-Lorax
I am sorry for you having such a sad and uninspiring life...

Strawberry Pie

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hi, just to continue on my previous question about the crafter.

When doing a vendor search, can you only search for an item or can you search for a vendor name? like if a crafter has a vendor in his house named
'Fred smithing' , now while out doing lumber jacking he fills up to the point of almost can't move, clicks vendor search puts in Fred smithing, goes home for 1k.

thank for the testing/post back about the fel dungeon :)

thank you

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I set up a vendor to test your questions Strawberry.. but it seems the vendor search is down at the moment. I can't select it anyway.. I'll try again later.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weird. Works from another account, but not on the character who placed the house and vendor.

Anyway, to answer your question:

No. Can't search by description. First picture is the item I listed to test it, found by searching "sleeves".

Second is the result of entering "strawberry" (I also tried entering the full description, same lack of results)

You can search for exact resists etc. So all you'd need to do would be craft a fairly unique item, enter those into search (which it seems to save) and then find it quickly that way. Or even by the price. Finding it that way would be pretty easy and quick.

Last edited:

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry, but what "community interaction" will I be missing out on by not having to wade through oceans of poorly organized vendors, shouting "VENDOR LOOK" ?

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
;)
Hail Lorax, glad to see you still around, and I just love this post.
However, I do wonder if you're not a bit jaded in this first part.

I mean, you being a 15yr fel vet means that you saw firsthand that mass exodus from fel when tram was intro'd, and how fel gradually became a wasteland on most shards... It doesn't surprise me that you can't even remember when the last time was when you happened upon an owner......

Well, my old friend Lorax, if you would have had that 15 year history in Trammel instead of Fel, then you'd remember those golden years when we all had a backpack full of vendor runebooks that we used on a daily basis. And it was very common for us to get to know the owner of the vendor (since most of them were on the owner's own house) during those shopping trips.... That was the Golden Time of UO, and it began the day Tram was introduced and it lasted until that infernal Malas (Luna) mistake was thrust on us. It was during that time before Luna, that I became addicted to UO. I guarantee you that I wouldn't have stayed without the occasional interaction with some vendor owner. Meeting new people and greeting old friends is what made this experience what it is... Over the years, as Luna ruined both the economy and the community, all that interaction disappeared and our population began to decrease. The great news is that all of that will happen once again when they finally put Vendor Search in. Seriously - wait and see....

At the release there will be interacting vendors in some area with a gank squad at your feet...
Sure, that will happen (occasionally in the beginning). But it will be a self-defeating strategy when the word goes out here and in general chat - about that gank squad. I think that you will find that there will be others with homes in Fel that wish to have vendors and don't appreciate the negative publicity - so, matters may just sort themselves out pretty quickly.... In the end, it's Fel and the people who do shop there will have everything insured before they leave - so killing them won't get you much for very long... Except maybe some grief from your neighbors.... And if you kill them, they simply won't ever come back... Won't be long before you'll not be getting anyone to visit.....

However, your idea here is fantastic:

I love seeing decorated houses and apart from using the vendor search as a way to have your house viewed would be nice. I don't decorate mine much anymore after moving so many times it gets tiring taking things out of boxes over again. You know how during christmas there are streets that get decorated with lights for long lines of cars to view them? It would be cool if there was a new list in a town square that allowed a house to be added to a list of houses that could be traveled to. Then clicking it it sends you on a travel sequence of houses to visit to look at the scenery of some theme.-Lorax
I think that the concept of getting the dev's to modify Vendor Search (or copy much of it) into a Homes Search would be simply fantastic. People would really go out of their way to deco their homes in unique ways - if they knew that someone could find them on a search of your Theme (Gothic, Halloween,Christmas, Thanksgiving, Garden, whatever we come up with, etc....) . All that data is there, just like the inventory of a vendor is... All they have to do is it add the new search (Theme) to the single/click menu that gets you to (Vendor) Search. Allow homeowners to declare a Theme on their house menu. Then they simply access the data on all homes on a Theme search...

That would be so freekin' kewl !:cool:

And don't worry about griefing..... All that will work itself out, and rules for griefing are already in place and can be modified as necessary...

Last edited:

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I played with the vendor search for a bit this morning, and find it's not a great interface and I hope we can modify the layout through the EC.

One thing that I find missing is the option to NOT include certain search terms in the search. What I mean is that we can include "Cursed" and "Cannot Be Repaired" in the search, I would like the option to NOT include those so we can find clean items, or find one group of items but not another.

I also didn't find a way to search for groups of items - such as searching for arms and neck armor, or both rings and bracelets. I could only search for one item type at a time.

I am really looking forward to this feature, but hope the developers take the time to get it right before the general publish.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just a crazy thought, i know it's not that easy in the details. But wouldn't it be cool to have the vendor search bound to the NPCs?

So you have this large stacks of ingots and platemail armor.
Put it on your vendor (fel or tram regardless).
Setup a trade contract with the local Blacksmith association.
Your stuff shows on every Blacksmith NPC in the world, searchable by some gump.

Slayer books and bulk regs to the mages and herbalists.
Turquoise and uncommon stuff for the jewelers.
and so on.

I know, i know.. not gonna happen. But i enjoy the idea hehe :)

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing that I find missing is the option to NOT include certain search terms in the search. What I mean is that we can include "Cursed" and "Cannot Be Repaired" in the search, I would like the option to NOT include those so we can find clean items, or find one group of items but not another.
Yeah, I already suggested that in the feedback thread last year:
We can search for "Gargs only", "Elves only", "Cursed", "Brittle" and "Cannot Be Repaired". This is nice, but chances are quite high, that I want to exclude these specifically, since i.e. I'm human and don't want garg & elf stuff, as well I don't want to buy cursed or brittle items.
I also didn't find a way to search for groups of items - such as searching for arms and neck armor, or both rings and bracelets. I could only search for one item type at a time.
I can imagine, that this will not be implemented. Currently all search criterias are applied with a logical AND operator. You want a logical OR here. Tech-wise, not hard to implement. But you have to sell that feature to average joe. And the UI could become quite confusing or if you try to keep it simple you might end up with some "hidden" rules, you have to know, so your search behaves as intended.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
... I can imagine, that this will not be implemented. Currently all search criterias are applied with a logical AND operator. You want a logical OR here. Tech-wise, not hard to implement. But you have to sell that feature to average joe. And the UI could become quite confusing or if you try to keep it simple you might end up with some "hidden" rules, you have to know, so your search behaves as intended.
I'm not sure I understand your logic here. You thought "NOT" operator was a good idea, but don't think that "AND" and "OR" types won't be added? They mean different things of course, but work exactly the same. I do this all the time for Access and website databases. If you can do one, you can do the others. At least allow these operators and allow for customized forms in the EC.

When you get wonky results, you clear the search form and start over!

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure I understand your logic here. You thought "NOT" operator was a good idea, but don't think that "AND" and "OR" types won't be added? They mean different things of course, but work exactly the same. I do this all the time for Access and website databases. If you can do one, you can do the others. At least allow these operators and allow for customized forms in the EC.

When you get wonky results, you clear the search form and start over!
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

First of all, the average player doesn't know about logical operators. So why bother the players with them? If you throw in an OR to the already existing (implicit) AND, operator precedence kicks in. Do you want to explain to the average player, why i.e. "Ring OR Bracelet AND LMC >= 8" returns bracelets with 8%, 9% and 10% LMC but it lists rings regardless if they have LMC or not? I do not, and I guess the devs don't want too.

Second, it would be easy, to sell them a NOT. In a clever UI, you even don't have to necessarily mention the word NOT. I.e. Add a combobox to the line with "Cursed" just where the textbox is in other lines with two values: "Only cursed items" and "Only clean items". Or you could make it even simpler (and decide to use the word) and add a separate search criteria called "Not cursed". As long as one of the two is selected, you would have to disable the other criteria, though.

Keep in mind, that this is a game. This is no text editor, where you can write a complex query. They have to keep it simple to some degree.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

First of all, the average player doesn't know about logical operators. So why bother the players with them? If you throw in an OR to the already existing (implicit) AND, operator precedence kicks in. Do you want to explain to the average player, why i.e. "Ring OR Bracelet AND LMC >= 8" returns bracelets with 8%, 9% and 10% LMC but it lists rings regardless if they have LMC or not? I do not, and I guess the devs don't want too.

Second, it would be easy, to sell them a NOT. In a clever UI, you even don't have to necessarily mention the word NOT. I.e. Add a combobox to the line with "Cursed" just where the textbox is in other lines with two values: "Only cursed items" and "Only clean items". Or you could make it even simpler (and decide to use the word) and add a separate search criteria called "Not cursed". As long as one of the two is selected, you would have to disable the other criteria, though.

Keep in mind, that this is a game. This is no text editor, where you can write a complex query. They have to keep it simple to some degree.

I disagree with your assessment, and you are over-thinking this. "In a clever UI," all these functions can be built in without confusing the players. You seem to be underestimating and marginalizing the average player's intelligence. If the average player can understand the armor crafting system with imbuing weights and reforging calculations, logical operators are trivial. These types of queries are not complex to write at all, but just radio-button selectors on an interface.

Once the Vendor Search function goes live, I will bet that Petra will have a page explaining all functions and options. I don't see the as being hard at all to explain - I've had to do it before for very complicated Access UI's. The vendor search is comparatively simple.

All and any logical operators should be available in the EC to customize the vendor search gump, like Pinco has done for many other functions. If you don't understand these logical operators, don't use them. Let us players decide what we can and can't understand, not someone who says the average player is too dumb to understand the results.

Still, let the developers speak for themselves on what they want to do or not do. I think the average player is MUCH smarter than you give us credit for.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These types of queries are not complex to write at all, but just radio-button selectors on an interface.
Sure, a radio button would be a start. But because the search criteria order would matter then, you have to add functionality to reorder the criterias. Off the top of my head I can't come up with more, but I wouldn't be surprised if in practice more is needed to keep it usable.

Once the Vendor Search function goes live, I will bet that Petra will have a page explaining all functions and options.
There are tons of players out there, who don't even know, what stratics is. And who never visited nor will visit any forum. They just want to play the game. I know quite a few such players.
The stratics community is just a small fraction of the overall playerbase. Some players visit other forums, after all there are quite a few UO forums in various languages out there spread all over the world. And some don't visit any forum.

I don't see the as being hard at all to explain - I've had to do it before for very complicated Access UI's. The vendor search is comparatively simple.
From your point of view it may not seem hard, because you're already experienced with it. And you most probably wanted it to learn or you had to.
So I'm not talking about the intelligence of players, rather more about their readiness to learn something new. For instance, two frineds of mine just know the absolute basics about item properties. Every once in a while they come ask me, "ist that item better than mine?" etc. I gave them the links to several pages on stratics and uoguide, but they don't want to dig into this. They just want to play the game. They don't have maxed out suits, still they're quite happy with their current situation.

If you don't understand these logical operators, don't use them.
Let's stick with your radio button example. Assuming, that there is no additional optional simple UI, there will be these radio buttons. And either AND or OR has to be selected. So they would have to use them, wether they want or not.

The only feasible way, I can see this work, is to hardcode the operator to a certain type of search criteria.
For instance, every item property uses an AND. Just like it is currently on TC1.
Mutually exclusive search criterias use OR, if more are selected. Currently only two categories, namely "Equipment" and "Required skill" behave like that. If you select another criteria from the same category, it replaces your previous selection. This could be reworked, so that multiple selections within the same category use an OR.

I.e.: You need either a ring or a bracelet with LMC 5% and FC 1.
Would look like in the UI like this:

LMC 5%
FC1
Ring, Bracelet

Since OR is used, they're displayed in the same line, separated with a comma. Every single line itself would use AND. So the query itself would be:

LMC >= 5% AND FC >= 1 AND (Ring OR Bracelet)

That would make the whole thing more powerful but would not overload the UI with functionality, which most people most probably wouldn't use anyway.

Last edited:

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
blah... blah... blah

That would make the whole thing more powerful but would not overload the UI with functionality, which most people most probably wouldn't use anyway.

Like I said, you are over thinking it. It's not as complicated as you make it. My request for the Developers to add this function (even only for user added UI's) still stands.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kyronix This has been on TC1 for a month now, how about an update on what's going on with it? (changes, improvements, etc) Thanks!

W@R

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CAN YOU JUST TELEPORT VENDOR HOLDING THE ITEM IN FRONT OF ME FOR 10K PLEASE?

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know everyone is chomping at the bit for this change, but based on all the bugs I saw from what I've read and experienced on TC, I'm glad the devs are taking their time with this major change to the game.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We had a meeting earlier last week regarding all the changes, tweaks, suggestions, and bugs that we'd received via Stratics and directly. Should have an update within the near future.
Thank you Kyronix, for taking us out of limbo at least.... Seriously, we do appreciate it whenever one of you Dev's give us an update. :cool:

Last edited: