• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Updated Publish 81 on TC1

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're welcome. Unfortunately that's the size its going to be and resizing it isn't within the capabilities of the CC (she's a fickle beast). We tried to keep it as small as possible while still giving as much information as possible to make building your suit with the classic client not require the fabled "spread sheet." Sure if you want to squeeze every last mod you'd need to go that route (Personally I always used post-its), but between the various armor crafting abilities available I was able to build my suit comfortably and easily while just swapping out equipment and looking at the stat window. Admittedly I did have various webpages up (UO.com, UOGuide, Stratics) when figuring out exactly what I wanted and how to get it, but I think that's been UO since as long as I can remember...did anyone else have the stratics crafting guide printed out in a 3 ring binder next to their PC? Ok, maybe I was just that big of a nerd....*grins* That's UO though, it wouldn't be much of anything without the community behind it. The out of game stuff is sometimes just as fun as being in game. I know for me being able to log on to stratics and read the guides and essays was the fix I needed while I couldn't be in game while things like school got in the way. We try to provide as much information in game (like the Armor Refiner NPCs, Item Property guide) to allow the player to make an informed decision while not breaking immersion too much. While we can't cover all the ins-and-outs of Britannia in game that's where the amazing work of so many comes in providing playguides, essays, and the like.

I've seen a lot of comments about the complexity of refining and we are working to streamline and simplify the refining process based on some of the conversations we've had with the testers on TC (I have to tip my hat to Tina, she's been a testing machine!) and from out of game feedback as well. A smart guy once said, "There's a problem with opening Pandora's Box - you can't close it." I think we can all agree that our Pandora's Box is wide open(AoS, Enhancing, Imbuing, Reforging, Refining). I'll save the debate for whether or not it should've stayed closed or not for another day, but that's the hand we've got and we need to build from there.

One of our goals is to revitalize the crafter profession so that even if you don't want to get into the nitty gritty of suit building, there is someone else who will. Another player pointed out that some time ago it seemed like crafters were all but extinct and now that isn't the case. That gives me a warm fuzzy.

Well I've rambled on for long enough and I think my muffins are about to burn. Thanks again everyone for testing and giving feedback!

If armor refining needs too much love and care, please leave it for the next publish. i'd hate to see one big monster slow the progress of the rest of this publish

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to point out that Cetric is the single most optimistic person on the board when it comes to Publish 81 and even he spent an entire bold-type paragraph talking about how Refinements and the new DCI/HLD thing are confusing and won't be used.

But don't worry devs, you know better.

You're totally not a bunch of confused latecomers running a game you don't understand into the ground.
Newsflash KLOMP:

You have done nothing but whine and spew out negative bs throughout every pub81 thread.

Even after you get some of the explanation/communication you have been ranting about you have nothing to add.

Do you think anyone at this point thinks that you have anything legit to say? Or are you just "farming likes" as you mentioned in one of your rants lol?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Comparing the above in any way to the Curse spell is without question the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on these boards.

A tiny damage increase for 3 seconds that is dependent on a couple of specific weapon specs that cant be chained? Wow.

3 seconds?

Seriously. 3 seconds?

Im sorry though because I did miss in your analogy where the new Armor Pierce also reduces the mages resists, lasts for up to two minutes and also lowers the mages stats? Did you forget to include those by mistake in your comparison?

Thats where i got confused lol, it really isn't anything like curse. If it dropped a mages resists and stats (str for hp, intel for sdi bonus) then it would be.

Someone correct me if im wrong, but wasn't there a mod that was introduced with styg abyss named Hit Curse? But it just didn't/doesn't work?

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Armor pierce has similarity to curse because of the damage bonus, which remains for its duration rather than just that instance. It also increases damage bonus across the board, and duration is extendable. Not that its as anywhere near as good as the curse spell.
Dropping resists increases the damage you can do to a target, the same thing could be accomplished simply increasing all damage the target takes like a durational Evil Omen.
The final effect achieved is the same regardless of the mechanism.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@HLD
Going from 50 DCI to 20 DCI is close to 10% Increase in hit chance to 60%
@10 DCI hit chance is 65%

If anything as a mage, you can forego max DCI and go with a smaller amount since at smaller levels you get smaller drops. No more negative DCI.

Overcapping to completely negate an effect is pretty silly anyway.

ShadowTrauma

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats where i got confused lol, it really isn't anything like curse. If it dropped a mages resists and stats (str for hp, intel for sdi bonus) then it would be.

Someone correct me if im wrong, but wasn't there a mod that was introduced with styg abyss named Hit Curse? But it just didn't/doesn't work?
Yeah, I think I understand what Logrus was trying to say about Armor Pierce, but comparing it to Curse (at this time) was unfortunately bound to confuse and upset those players who already take issue with the spell.

*Publish 81 description* Armor Pierce, now applies a “pierced armor” effect to the target which increases all incoming damage to the target by 10% for 3 seconds with the exception of direct damage special moves. Ranged weapons with this special move will not reset duration if target is currently under the effect. - I do like the concept and potential combos with this new effect, but the move is certainly restrictive in several regards.

*UOGuide description* Curse, Duration based on Magery skill (No mention of Resisting Spells skill effecting this, a problem in this posters view.), Lowers the Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence of the target by a percentage (Magery / 10 +1) (11% at 100 Magery) Resisting Spells scales down the potency. When targetted on a player it reduces elemental resistance caps by 10. - I've posted my feedback on this spell in a previous post, so I'll refrain from further comment here.

The problems I can see with Armor Pierce in regards to this comparison would be:
  • Extremely restrictive weapon selection of the Sai (can reset duration) and Yumi (cannot reset duration).
  • Very short duration combined with a prohibitive mana cost if repeated or used in conjunction with other special moves.
  • Restricts bonus from benefitting the majority of the melee players damage moves.

There is a Hit Curse mod (only available on one gargoyle artifact) and from finding some brief research done by others it would seem that the mod currently does not function very efficiently, as it uses a players Eval Int skill to scale duration/effect, severly limiting it usefulness in most instances. It also has a 30 second cooldown on activating.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a Hit Curse mod (only available on one gargoyle artifact) and from some brief research by others it would seem to currently not function very efficiently, as it seems to use a players Eval Int skill to scale duration/effect, severly limiting it usefulness in most instances. It also has a 30 second cooldown on activating.
I literally laughed out loud.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets talk about a tortured boondoggle.
UOStratics has well documented "How To"s on all the crafting skills and they will have another one for this too.
Hard core PvPers and PvMers know what they want on thier suits and will tell any crafter what that is.

You are more than welcome to log into TC and test this all to see how it may or may not work with your suit. Mules are so easy to make on TC and you do not need to farm anything. This may or may not be your cup of tea but there will be players that will grab this and make an easy to use "How To" just like they have always done. You want easy mode when it comes to making suits, NP, whats next easy mode for PvP and PvM.

What they didn't give you the love that you think you needed so all this to you is just a load of crap? They are listening to us, those that post coherent information.
Unfortunately, it's not that easy to make an effective mule on TC, for a couple of reasons:

• It's almost impossible to do any kind of real crafting out of a bankbox on TC just because of the multitude of items you get to begin with and that you then increase by using any of the commands to acquire resources, arties, tokens, etc. When you first arrive on TC, you need to place and build a house to work from. Then you need to move any stuff your character came over with that you want to keep to work with later to your new house, before your bankbox becomes completely overwhelmed by what you're getting ready to do to it, i.e., stuff it to overflowing. This includes taking all those magery items that get jammed into your bankbox by default when you copy a character to TC or make a new one there, combine the duplicative magery items into stacks and then deed them all up and get the deeds out of your bankbox. Take items out of bags and boxes and consolidate them in others so you get rid of as many bags and boxes as you can and still stay organized. Get rid of any of the items you know you will never use. Take the bag of t-maps , MIBs, lockpicks and shovels and either pitch them or keep them. (I always try to at least keep the shovel, since stone isn't something you get as a resource on TC and you're going to need to go mining to get it.) Take the potions and bottles to your house if you think they'll be useful later (hopefully you have room to move them to the top of your bankbox and deed them because they're too heavy to move in one shot).
  • If you are using a copied character, pray that it has a bonded pack animal or two in the stable. If you made a character from scratch, buy pack animals or, better yet, turn yourself into a tamer and go run and tame a blue beetle so you can sit on it and recall and don't have to mess with pulling it through a moongate, especially if you had to put your house in Fel or someplace infested with pesky monsters. You won't be able to bond anything if the devs didn't put up a pet bonding gate.
  • Once you have your bankbox is empty as you can possibly make it and your backpack as empty as possible, you use "give resources" to get resources. Now you found the bag of recipes (95 of them!) and put it in your backpack or on the ground and hope no one grabs it. Then you start changing skills around and clicking on all those recipe scrolls to learn them, as you never know which ones you might decide you need to learn later and "give resources" only works once per character. Now you focus on cleaning up the mess in your bankbox. Find the tool bags and move them to the house. Hopefully you are once again under the maximum and can shift stuff around in your bankbox to get it to the top level. You buy some commodity deeds (hopefully they aren't all bought out at the bank where you're standing). Then you start combining duplicative resources in the elven and imbuing bags and deeding up EVERYTHING. Take all those deeds to your house. Oh, did I mention you'd better have had the foresight to COPY a commodity deed box to TC? If you didn't, go back to square one and find one of your characters somewhere else that has the ability to empty a commodity deed box and put it in his/her pack and copy that character to TC pronto and then lock it down in your house so you can use it! Now you move on to using the "give arties" command and do something similar with culling what you don't want and taking the rest to your house. Same with the "give armor" command. "Give tokens" puts the tokens in your backpack.
  • Now repeat the parts of the whole process above (minus setting up a house) with another character on the same account or a different one, or maybe a couple of them so you can get more resources if you think you didn't get enough of them with just one character.
  • Okay, so you got through all that rigamarole of moving resources, armor, suit sets to your house. You still need to make yourself a soul forge and anvil and forge if you want to do any kind of serious crafting, unless you had the foresight to undeed those elsewhere and copy them over to TC with the commodity deed box. (There is a one-tile soul forge at the Hammer and Anvil shop in Britain and the two public ones in Ter Mur and someone has a public one at the house just east of the Luna stables.) You probably also want to make yourself some chests and engraving tools so you can label them. Or maybe don't, if you like looking at all kinds of colored bags and boxes stacked every which way in your house! I can't work like that.
  • And now you start the tedious process of gathering OTHER materials supplied on Test Center. Armor refinement items are located in 3 different towns and there are so many of them, that it will take multiple trips to get them. You'll probably want duplicates of them, because you'll be going through them like water because the effect of applying plating, thread, and resin is RANDOM and you will probably not get the effect you want in the first 10 tries and will have to keep making more of it. The alloy and flasks come in deeds but the braid comes plain (and is really heavy too). So you either kick yourself that you're working out of your bankbox or you tote it home and use your commodity deed box to undeed it and work with it. And then it's back to the shop to apply it!
  • Oh, you want to mess with imbuing? Guess what. That bag of imbuing ingredients that you tediously deeded up DOESN'T INCLUDE THE TOP-END INGREDIENTS! You need to go get them by killing stuff, lumberjacking, mining, etc. Or, hope you had enough foresight to copy them to TC in sufficient quantities to do all the testing you want to do.
Sorry for how long this is and how tedious this explanation is. However, if you read this far and are feeling a bit exhausted and overwhelmed, well that's about what you feel like on Test Center by the time you actually are ready to start making stuff and testing things with your "crafter." It's a painful, time-consuming process. And the whole time you're in the middle of it, you're wondering if the dev team is going to wipe the shard and make you start all over again.

Don't get me wrong...I kind of enjoy the challenge of it, especially after doing it so many times that I almost have the routine memorized. But I fully understand that this "process" to get a crafter going on TC is anything but simple and is a big reason why people do not mess with Test Center. It can take literally hours to get set up there before you can even think about diving into crafting anything and really doing any testing. For this publish, I grabbed a house spot within minutes of the publish going live and grabbed resources with 2-3 characters and moved them all to the house. I copied over one character that had a commodity deed box and dye tubs in case I wanted to mess with those later. I later copied over a miner with a bonded fire beetle to use for mining for stone to make gargoyle stone armor. Some kind people have set up public houses around Luna with dye tubs and public soul forges and selling imbuing ingredients until they run out of them.

I don't know if the dev team can do anything to make things easier other than add on to the ingredients provided by "give resources" and include a commodity deed box as one of the items every character gets when they arrive on TC. And put up pet bonding gates, please. I would imagine asking them to greatly enlarge the capacity of bankboxes on TC is something they just can't do.

Last edited:

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a Hit Curse mod (only available on one gargoyle artifact) and from finding some brief research done by others it would seem that the mod currently does not function very efficiently, as it uses a players Eval Int skill to scale duration/effect, severly limiting it usefulness in most instances. It also has a 30 second cooldown on activating.
I shook my head. I can't understand why things like that are added to the game. Certainly there could be a temp that might be able to fit this special in and make it work but the chances of such are slim at best. I don't code and, thus, I don't know what effort it might take to write such a special into the game but I would believe that anything worth the effort should be done with some base of knowledge of simple game mechanics, which this clearly does not.

I'm not even going to bother with the armor pierce as other people have already cleared that up, it isn't even close. Lets not try to sell coal and tell me in a week I will own a diamond.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They really need to just do:

Publish 81.1: Everything but refinements

Publish 81.2: Refinements and bug fixes to Publish 81.1

then we will have some things to play with and test/break/exploit while they iron out refinements, and by the time they have something ready, we will have a list of bugs from 81.1

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

then we will have some things to play with and test/break/exploit while they iron out refinements, and by the time they have something ready, we will have a list of bugs from 81.1
I would like to at least get some kind of hint about whether there is going to be more to refinement than just what's been rolled out so far and to find out what is going to be included with "advanced tinkering" and if using it will require the purchase of a booster or theme pack or whatever they're called these days. Armor refinement doesn't work on the gargoyle earrings and necklaces (or glasses) and it seems like being forced to use garg earrings and necklaces messes with stamina loss (if I understand things correctly), so that alone makes me suspect there's more to come. Then there's the whole question of whether or not a similar set of refinements will be available for raising/lowering resist caps on meddable armor in exchange for raising or lowering the cap on some other desirable property.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately, it's not that easy to make an effective mule on TC, for a couple of reasons:

• It's almost impossible to do any kind of real crafting out of a bankbox on TC just because of the multitude of items you get to begin with and that you then increase by using any of the commands to acquire resources, arties, tokens, etc. When you first arrive on TC, you need to place and build a house to work from. Then you need to move any stuff your character came over with that you want to keep to work with later to your new house, before your bankbox becomes completely overwhelmed by what you're getting ready to do to it, i.e., stuff it to overflowing. This includes taking all those magery items that get jammed into your bankbox by default when you copy a character to TC or make a new one there, combine the duplicative magery items into stacks and then deed them all up and get the deeds out of your bankbox. Take items out of bags and boxes and consolidate them in others so you get rid of as many bags and boxes as you can and still stay organized. Get rid of any of the items you know you will never use. Take the bag of t-maps , MIBs, lockpicks and shovels and either pitch them or keep them. (I always try to at least keep the shovel, since stone isn't something you get as a resource on TC and you're going to need to go mining to get it.) Take the potions and bottles to your house if you think they'll be useful later (hopefully you have room to move them to the top of your bankbox and deed them because they're too heavy to move in one shot).
  • If you are using a copied character, pray that it has a bonded pack animal or two in the stable. If you made a character from scratch, buy pack animals or, better yet, turn yourself into a tamer and go run and tame a blue beetle so you can sit on it and recall and don't have to mess with pulling it through a moongate, especially if you had to put your house in Fel or someplace infested with pesky monsters. You won't be able to bond anything if the devs didn't put up a pet bonding gate.
  • Once you have your bankbox is empty as you can possibly make it and your backpack as empty as possible, you use "give resources" to get resources. Now you found the bag of recipes (95 of them!) and put it in your backpack or on the ground and hope no one grabs it. Then you start changing skills around and clicking on all those recipe scrolls to learn them, as you never know which ones you might decide you need to learn later and "give resources" only works once per character. Now you focus on cleaning up the mess in your bankbox. Find the tool bags and move them to the house. Hopefully you are once again under the maximum and can shift stuff around in your bankbox to get it to the top level. You buy some commodity deeds (hopefully they aren't all bought out at the bank where you're standing). Then you start combining duplicative resources in the elven and imbuing bags and deeding up EVERYTHING. Take all those deeds to your house. Oh, did I mention you'd better have had the foresight to COPY a commodity deed box to TC? If you didn't, go back to square one and find one of your characters somewhere else that has the ability to empty a commodity deed box and put it in his/her pack and copy that character to TC pronto and then lock it down in your house so you can use it! Now you move on to using the "give arties" command and do something similar with culling what you don't want and taking the rest to your house. Same with the "give armor" command. "Give tokens" puts the tokens in your backpack.
  • Now repeat the parts of the whole process above (minus setting up a house) with another character on the same account or a different one, or maybe a couple of them so you can get more resources if you think you didn't get enough of them with just one character.
  • Okay, so you got through all that rigamarole of moving resources, armor, suit sets to your house. You still need to make yourself a soul forge and anvil and forge if you want to do any kind of serious crafting, unless you had the foresight to undeed those elsewhere and copy them over to TC with the commodity deed box. (There is a one-tile soul forge at the Hammer and Anvil shop in Britain and the two public ones in Ter Mur and someone has a public one at the house just east of the Luna stables.) You probably also want to make yourself some chests and engraving tools so you can label them. Or maybe don't, if you like looking at all kinds of colored bags and boxes stacked every which way in your house! I can't work like that.
  • And now you start the tedious process of gathering OTHER materials supplied on Test Center. Armor refinement items are located in 3 different towns and there are so many of them, that it will take multiple trips to get them. You'll probably want duplicates of them, because you'll be going through them like water because the effect of applying plating, thread, and resin is RANDOM and you will probably not get the effect you want in the first 10 tries and will have to keep making more of it. The alloy and flasks come in deeds but the braid comes plain (and is really heavy too). So you either kick yourself that you're working out of your bankbox or you tote it home and use your commodity deed box to undeed it and work with it. And then it's back to the shop to apply it!
  • Oh, you want to mess with imbuing? Guess what. That bag of imbuing ingredients that you tediously deeded up DOESN'T INCLUDE THE TOP-END INGREDIENTS! You need to go get them by killing stuff, lumberjacking, mining, etc. Or, hope you had enough foresight to copy them to TC in sufficient quantities to do all the testing you want to do.
Sorry for how long this is and how tedious this explanation is. However, if you read this far and are feeling a bit exhausted and overwhelmed, well that's about what you feel like on Test Center by the time you actually are ready to start making stuff and testing things with your "crafter." It's a painful, time-consuming process. And the whole time you're in the middle of it, you're wondering if the dev team is going to wipe the shard and make you start all over again.

Don't get me wrong...I kind of enjoy the challenge of it, especially after doing it so many times that I almost have the routine memorized. But I fully understand that this "process" to get a crafter going on TC is anything but simple and is a big reason why people do not mess with Test Center. It can take literally hours to get set up there before you can even think about diving into crafting anything and really doing any testing. For this publish, I grabbed a house spot within minutes of the publish going live and grabbed resources with 2-3 characters and moved them all to the house. I copied over one character that had a commodity deed box and dye tubs in case I wanted to mess with those later. I later copied over a miner with a bonded fire beetle to use for mining for stone to make gargoyle stone armor. Some kind people have set up public houses around Luna with dye tubs and public soul forges and selling imbuing ingredients until they run out of them.

I don't know if the dev team can do anything to make things easier other than add on to the ingredients provided by "give resources" and include a commodity deed box as one of the items every character gets when they arrive on TC. And put up pet bonding gates, please. I would imagine asking them to greatly enlarge the capacity of bankboxes on TC is something they just can't do.
%200 agree, I was just so tired of reading KLOMP's BS. The way he makes it sound is it can't be done and is a waist of time. I understand it aint easy, I have done it too, but it is not impossible. It would be great if UO would say take the big Brit Smith Shop on TC and turn it into a all in one Crafting Shop with Bank access. I also see no reason why that on TC only that our bank boxes could not be give a lot more storage in them, say 500 or more items. IMHO these 2 changes would help out greatly and would do away with a lot, if not all, of what you said as the down falls. By doing this it would also give us an area that people could meet and discuss these changes face to face. Also make items that hit the floor decay faster to keep the clutter down with maybe a 1-2 min decay.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Resist spells helps anyone wanting to fight mages..... or so should... just make curse resistable like the poison spell (harder to resist since its a higher circle spell) and scale the reduction in resist cap in an eval vs. resist:

Eval: 120 vs REsist 0-20 [differential 100-120] = 60 [-10]
Eval: 120 vs Resist 20.1-40 [differential 80-99.9] = 61 [-9]
Eval: 120 vs Resist 40.1-60 [differential 60-45] = 62 [-8]
Eval 120 vs Resist 60.1-90 [differential 30-44.9] = 63 [-7]
Eval 120 vs Resist 90.1-110 [differential 10-19.9] = -64 [-6]
Eval 120 vs Resist 110.1-120 [differential 0-9.9] = 65 [-5]

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The whole magic resist skill could use a bit of an overhaul. Most of the spells affected by it have their durations scaled by it, but not the effects.

I dislike that curse is pretty much a necessity just to deal enough damage, but at the same time heaping the stat reductions on top of that is a bit superfluous.

Be nice to maybe re-visit the magery altering spells , maybe bump spell damage in general and get redo curse/bless etc to do something that makes them useful not required, and yet still worth using but not require spamming.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I hope someone else notices what effect the Stamina leech will have on a warrior. I will repeat my concern that current templates that rely on Stamina leech on weapons to maintain their swing speed will no longer be able to maintain their swing speed anymore. I have tested and will need to adjust my template accordingly but will wait to see what makes it into the publish. When testing I could not figure out how it was working just that I could not leech back enough stamina to maintain the higher swing speed.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The whole magic resist skill could use a bit of an overhaul. Most of the spells affected by it have their durations scaled by it, but not the effects.

I dislike that curse is pretty much a necessity just to deal enough damage, but at the same time heaping the stat reductions on top of that is a bit superfluous.

Be nice to maybe re-visit the magery altering spells , maybe bump spell damage in general and get redo curse/bless etc to do something that makes them useful not required, and yet still worth using but not require spamming.
Honestly, the idea of bumping spell damage is bad all around, 40sdi isn't enough? I love my mages, but any more possible damage from what is already there will be overpowering.

All that would need to be done is remove the stat altering effects of curse. I dont think anyone has a problem needing to curse to get the best possible damage. Can you imagine what things would look like if u just absolutely didn't need to? that spell is important in a grander scheme of things than this conversation has even touched. It would be horrible, on a dexer for example, if you couldn't remove the "ability to create extra damage" from the mage, that the curse on you is causing.

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
samarai platemail made from val runics is horrendous in comparison to reforged armor. I don't see this as a problem.
I've seen good enough pieces of Samurai Plate, and more-widely available than are reforged pieces, to give me pause.

I make no pretense to saying that Samurai Plate is still what it once was. Also there's the issue of how many Valorite Runics would you have to burn through that'd give you both absorption AND awesome mods on an entire suit?

But, you know what, Valorite Runic Hammers were widely duped once....Easily could be so again.

Still won't equal reforged stuff, as reforging gives you mods you can't get through conventional crafting.

And, ironicallly, mage armor metal armor granting stamina absorption helps me a lot, personally. One character of mine uses the RBC and Fey Leggings; another uses the RBC, Fey Leggings, Gladiator's Collar, and Samurai Plate reforged arms. So if this was done I'd personally benefit. And I surely won't whine.

But I've seen Samurai Plate from Valorite Runics that's good enough to make me nervous about the idea of that stuff having stamina absorption too.

-Galen's player

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've seen good enough pieces of Samurai Plate, and more-widely available than are reforged pieces, to give me pause.

I make no pretense to saying that Samurai Plate is still what it once was. Also there's the issue of how many Valorite Runics would you have to burn through that'd give you both absorption AND awesome mods on an entire suit?

But, you know what, Valorite Runic Hammers were widely duped once....Easily could be so again.

Still won't equal reforged stuff, as reforging gives you mods you can't get through conventional crafting.

And, ironicallly, mage armor metal armor granting stamina absorption helps me a lot, personally. One character of mine uses the RBC and Fey Leggings; another uses the RBC, Fey Leggings, Gladiator's Collar, and Samurai Plate reforged arms. So if this was done I'd personally benefit. And I surely won't whine.

But I've seen Samurai Plate from Valorite Runics that's good enough to make me nervous about the idea of that stuff having stamina absorption too.

-Galen's player
just curious... why would a mage sacrificing countless other possible mods to wear a heavy suit, and have heavy stamina absorbtion make you nervous?

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're welcome. Unfortunately that's the size its going to be and resizing it isn't within the capabilities of the CC (she's a fickle beast). We tried to keep it as small as possible while still giving as much information as possible to make building your suit with the classic client not require the fabled "spread sheet." Sure if you want to squeeze every last mod you'd need to go that route (Personally I always used post-its), but between the various armor crafting abilities available I was able to build my suit comfortably and easily while just swapping out equipment and looking at the stat window. Admittedly I did have various webpages up (UO.com, UOGuide, Stratics) when figuring out exactly what I wanted and how to get it, but I think that's been UO since as long as I can remember...did anyone else have the stratics crafting guide printed out in a 3 ring binder next to their PC? Ok, maybe I was just that big of a nerd....*grins* That's UO though, it wouldn't be much of anything without the community behind it. The out of game stuff is sometimes just as fun as being in game. I know for me being able to log on to stratics and read the guides and essays was the fix I needed while I couldn't be in game while things like school got in the way. We try to provide as much information in game (like the Armor Refiner NPCs, Item Property guide) to allow the player to make an informed decision while not breaking immersion too much. While we can't cover all the ins-and-outs of Britannia in game that's where the amazing work of so many comes in providing playguides, essays, and the like.

I've seen a lot of comments about the complexity of refining and we are working to streamline and simplify the refining process based on some of the conversations we've had with the testers on TC (I have to tip my hat to Tina, she's been a testing machine!) and from out of game feedback as well. A smart guy once said, "There's a problem with opening Pandora's Box - you can't close it." I think we can all agree that our Pandora's Box is wide open(AoS, Enhancing, Imbuing, Reforging, Refining). I'll save the debate for whether or not it should've stayed closed or not for another day, but that's the hand we've got and we need to build from there.

One of our goals is to revitalize the crafter profession so that even if you don't want to get into the nitty gritty of suit building, there is someone else who will. Another player pointed out that some time ago it seemed like crafters were all but extinct and now that isn't the case. That gives me a warm fuzzy.

Well I've rambled on for long enough and I think my muffins are about to burn. Thanks again everyone for testing and giving feedback!
The reason I disagree with your Pandora's Box analogy is as follows. (I'm saying nothing here I haven't said before so if you think you know what's coming, you probably do.)

Basically all the math we have in the game hitherto, while complex, follows the principle of more is more, up to a cap (if there is one).

The HLD, DCI, and Refining changes make an important change that too few have commented upon: More can be less. Getting a higher DCI cap can lead to your losing more DCI when hit with HLD. One will need to do complicated and careful calculations in order to make sure you don't suffer from this. And then of course there's the fear of 95% DCI being a PvM god mode.

It was the same with the original Publish 81 LMC idea (before the inherent LMC could go over the cap; which I still disagree with btw, for other reasons). More could equal out to less.

And that is indeed too much to ask. It's not about Pandora's Box being opened already. This stuff is a new box.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just curious... why would a mage sacrificing countless other possible mods to wear a heavy suit, and have heavy stamina absorbtion make you nervous?
Mages actually didn't occur to me.

It was a Samurai Plate-clad Sampire in a PvM setting, adding to their considerable ability to solo high-end content with too great an ease, that made me nervous.

In general the idea of people being able to get a heavy armor benefit (stamina absorption) and a light armor benefit (meddability) on the same piece of armor makes me nervous for what I feel should be obvious reasons: Anything that can let you have it both ways I suggest should make all of nervous.

-Galen's player

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mages actually didn't occur to me.

It was a Samurai Plate-clad Sampire in a PvM setting, adding to their considerable ability to solo high-end content with too great an ease, that made me nervous.

In general the idea of people being able to get a heavy armor benefit (stamina absorption) and a light armor benefit (meddability) on the same piece of armor makes me nervous for what I feel should be obvious reasons: Anything that can let you have it both ways I suggest should make all of nervous.

-Galen's player

And that goes back again lol, the odds of making a world class sampire suit out of pure samurai plate would be incredibly hard, for practically 0 benefit (how many sampires do you know that play a human anyways). Where in the hell does mana regeneration rate play into the role of a sampire?

This is all ebsides the point, they already said mage armor negates the effect :next: Even if it was possible you would never see it.

Last edited:

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, the idea of bumping spell damage is bad all around, 40sdi isn't enough? I love my mages, but any more possible damage from what is already there will be overpowering.

All that would need to be done is remove the stat altering effects of curse. I dont think anyone has a problem needing to curse to get the best possible damage. Can you imagine what things would look like if u just absolutely didn't need to? that spell is important in a grander scheme of things than this conversation has even touched. It would be horrible, on a dexer for example, if you couldn't remove the "ability to create extra damage" from the mage, that the curse on you is causing.
Removing the stat altering effect, is I think a good step but still a stop-gap measure.
Curse provides almost a 30% damage bump, but thats to ALL elemental damage so basically all casters benefit.
40 SDI (sustained/alone) is only possible on a focused caster with scribe even with that 40 sdi, that mage will still be hard pressed to do significant damage to an uncursed target.

At the same time a bump in spell damage of the magnitude to do the same to an uncursed target would be a bad idea.
Maybe bumping it by 15% and have curse a scaling chance to proc an additional 15% or something similar would make it useful, though not necessary, and at the same time hopefully not provide too much of a buff to combo caster templates which already have huge advantages.

ie more of a buff to focused casters, than to multi school casters.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trying to avoid the pitfalls of a classless system through targeted buffs.
So stoneform is fine. Protection is fine. Stoneform + Protection. Problematic

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And that goes back again lol, the odds of making a world class sampire suit out of pure samurai plate would be incredibly hard, for practically 0 benefit (how many sampires do you know that play a human anyways). Where in the hell does mana regeneration rate play into the role of a sampire?

This is all ebsides the point, they already said mage armor negates the effect :next: Even if it was possible you would never see it.
Saying "lol" and "next" is not a substantive argument.

I suppose I should have known better than to respond, however, because responding assumed you were actually curious and not looking for an excuse to say "lol" and "next."

There's greater variety in Sampire and related PvM templates than you give credit for.

I also both admitted and addressed the argument about the odds of making a good suit by burning Valorite Runics.

The benefit, as should be obvious, is combining stamina absorption from heavy armor and mana regeneration from light armor. Both of these have an obvious value or we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

But, alas, this is moot.....Your mind is made up and you had no substantive question to ask or issue to raise.

Oh well.

-Galen's player

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Removing the stat altering effect, is I think a good step but still a stop-gap measure.
Curse provides almost a 30% damage bump, but thats to ALL elemental damage so basically all casters benefit.
40 SDI (sustained/alone) is only possible on a focused caster with scribe even with that 40 sdi, that mage will still be hard pressed to do significant damage to an uncursed target.

At the same time a bump in spell damage of the magnitude to do the same to an uncursed target would be a bad idea.
Maybe bumping it by 15% and have curse a scaling chance to proc an additional 15% or something similar would make it useful, though not necessary, and at the same time hopefully not provide too much of a buff to combo caster templates which already have huge advantages.

ie more of a buff to focused casters, than to multi school casters.
focused casters dont need more of a bump... i can completely dismantle dexers on my parry scribe mage. Making it so that dexer can't apple off the big chunk of damage would make it easier, in my opnion.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Saying "lol" and "next" is not a substantive argument.

I suppose I should have known better than to respond, however, because responding assumed you were actually curious and not looking for an excuse to say "lol" and "next."

There's greater variety in Sampire and related PvM templates than you give credit for.

I also both admitted and addressed the argument about the odds of making a good suit by burning Valorite Runics.

The benefit, as should be obvious, is combining stamina absorption from heavy armor and mana regeneration from light armor. Both of these have an obvious value or we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

But, alas, this is moot.....Your mind is made up and you had no substantive question to ask or issue to raise.

Oh well.

-Galen's player
Why even discuss it. It is not built in, you either get stam reduction or wear medable stuff. End of Story. There is no argument to be had, and even if it were it would not be anything remotely game changing. The benefit isn't obvious, you drop the likes of casting focus, overcapped mods in mi, lmc, hpr, mr, damage eaters... for what? for mage armor, so you can have a little bit better stam reduction?

You said sampire. A sampire relies exclusively on mana leeching, if it doesn't then it is no longer a sampire. When you start considering mana regeneration rates for medable armor and such on a dexer, you are talking about something completely different.

Galen, i know you play some weird pvm rp paladin, but in the game mechanics discussion the point is lost.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why even discuss it. It is not built in, you either get stam reduction or wear medable stuff. End of Story. There is no argument to be had, and even if it were it would not be anything remotely game changing. The benefit isn't obvious, you drop the likes of casting focus, overcapped mods in mi, lmc, hpr, mr, damage eaters... for what? for mage armor, so you can have a little bit better stam reduction?

You said sampire. A sampire relies exclusively on mana leeching, if it doesn't then it is no longer a sampire. When you start considering mana regeneration rates for medable armor and such on a dexer, you are talking about something completely different.

Galen, i know you play some weird pvm rp paladin, but in the game mechanics discussion the point is lost.

If you will look over at the warriors' forum you will note the use of the term Sampire to apply to a broad variety of PvM-oriented dexer templates.

Once upon a time I suggested that not all of these templates should be referred to as Sampires, because not all of them even had Bushido. (Think about it for a moment.) The result was "lol"s and "next"s. I saw that my quaint use of the term Sampire to refer exclusively to templates that had Bushido was outdated, so I shrugged and went with it.

I really fail to see why a basic Paladin template qualifies as "some weird pvm rp paladin," but hey.

My argument stands, regardless of whether you like it or not.

*shrugs*

Again, my only mistake here was to think you were interested in actual discussion.

-Galen's player

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

It kinda works... It lowers resistances/stats just like the spell, but apparently it acts as if the caster has 0 eval-int, so it wears off in like 1-5 seconds(ish). soo, it needs tweaked for sure =]

It's only on one weapon anyway though, Legacy of Despair (gargoyle only) & it's 10% hit curse, not very useful.

Last edited:

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope someone else notices what effect the Stamina leech will have on a warrior. I will repeat my concern that current templates that rely on Stamina leech on weapons to maintain their swing speed will no longer be able to maintain their swing speed anymore. I have tested and will need to adjust my template accordingly but will wait to see what makes it into the publish. When testing I could not figure out how it was working just that I could not leech back enough stamina to maintain the higher swing speed.
Yeah they need to unnerf stamina leech at least to a degree.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You want easy mode when it comes to making suits, NP, whats next easy mode for PvP and PvM.
You want to talk about easy mode, champ? Let's talk about a sampire running around at 90+ DCI and 50+ LMC. Let's talk about a PVM thrower or archer ditching a DCI cap they don't need anyway to pump their fire and energy resists. Easy mode? My main is a sampire who already wears a nonmed suit. This publish is nothing but wall-to-wall buffs for me personally, and I won't even have to make a new suit to get them.

Hell they even buffed the speed of the war axe for some reason. I'm a macer and own a ton of war axes, so thanks for another free buff I guess. If I wanted the game to be easy mode, I'd be on here telling everyone how this is the Greatest Publish Ever.

But you know what should be easy? Understanding what sort of equipment is good or bad for you, and how much better or worse a given modification will be. Making a suit might require specialized skills or rare ingredients, but understanding what to actually DO with those skills/materials SHOULD be as simple and self-explanatory as possible. I have zero time for the sort of MMO masochist who'll tell me "Pssh, user-friendliness in software systems design is easy mode newb!"

There is, of course, a balance to be struck between simplicity and depth. You don't want all item properties to just boil down to +1 GOOD or that'll get boring quickly. Look around the community though. Think back on the last several years or more. How many players have you seen cry out that the item and property system of UO is too simple? Pretty much zero. Now how many people have complained that it's agonizingly overcomplicated? Tons in this thread alone.

But hey, the community that has been bemoaning all this pointless poorly-documented complexity for a decade now can just go shut up, I guess, because we've got this kooky-ass developer in the house who thinks having to keep a binder of hard copy notes next to his computer is a GOOD thing to be looked back on fondly.

Go read this thread again, and then read Kyronix little homily about how great it was having to pore over notes and stuff for hours, and tell me the devs and community are even remotely coming from the same place on the issue of complexity.

Last edited:

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to at least get some kind of hint about whether there is going to be more to refinement than just what's been rolled out so far and to find out what is going to be included with "advanced tinkering" and if using it will require the purchase of a booster or theme pack or whatever they're called these days. Armor refinement doesn't work on the gargoyle earrings and necklaces (or glasses) and it seems like being forced to use garg earrings and necklaces messes with stamina loss (if I understand things correctly), so that alone makes me suspect there's more to come. Then there's the whole question of whether or not a similar set of refinements will be available for raising/lowering resist caps on meddable armor in exchange for raising or lowering the cap on some other desirable property.
Yeah it does seem like there is supposed to be eventually more with this refinement thing. But I think that is just another reason to delay it. I also would like to know more about this advanced tinkering thing and really hope it isnt just for light switches. But if there is more to the refinement thing planned that includes meddable armor then I think it needs to be all released together anyway. Not part 1 now and part 2 who knows when. Really nonmeddable armor getting both inherant lmc that goes over the 40% cap and extra stamina protection is good enough it doesn;t need refinements on top of that.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Armor Stamina Loss Update:

Player’s stamina loss will now be based on the type of armor as well as the amount of armor that is equipped*. Each piece of armor up to five pieces will reduce the amount of stamina lost when taking damage. The armor pieces which provide the most stamina loss reduction will take priority.
  • Cloth armor, leather armor, and jewelry will give the same stamina loss reduction as Pub 80.
  • Blacksmith armor (platemail, ringmail, chainmail, and dragon armor) will provide a heavy bonus to stamina loss reduction.
  • Studded leather armor, stone armor, bone armor, woodland armor, and hide armor will provide a light bonus to stamina loss reduction.
*Human racial ability Tough now provides a small bonus to stamina loss reduction.

Armor Inherent Lower Mana Cost

Each piece armor non medable armor will provide lower mana cost with the exception of woodland armor. Each piece of armor up to five pieces will provide a percentage which is not subject to the lower mana cost cap of 40. The armor pieces which provide the most lower mana cost will take priority.
  1. Platemail, ringmail, chainmail, and dragon armor provides 1% of lower mana cost per piece.
  2. Studded leather, hide armor, stone armor and bone armor provides 3% of lower mana cost per piece
Above is How Publish 81 will effect Stamina reduction and LMC bonus... I like many players might not have choosen this direction to make non-med armor useful again, however I do believe it does achieve that goal and rather then spend time debating what could or should have been, my interest here is to help make the proposed system as fair and balanced for all players and character types moving forward. Proposed changes or additions are highlighted in RED BOLD

Summary of changes: Creation of Heavy, Medium, Light and non Armor catagories to provide a framework to organize and help players conceptualize how armor functions. Mage Armor now allows medability at the cost of both Stamina and LMC bonus. Shields added to Stamina reduction based on Str requiresments to wield to provide more flexibility in making a suit but keeps the max. number of items that can effect Stamina the same. Shields DO NOT count towards the LMC bonus. Added a unarmored bonus to MR not subjuect to MR cap for characters that can not take advanage of armor changes. After people have a chance to read, and comment, I re-post with player feedback and merge the properties of Heavy, Medium, Light and Non Armor.

Armor Stamina Loss Update:
Player’s stamina loss will now be based on the type of armor as well as the amount of armor that is equipped. Each piece of armor up to five pieces will reduce the amount of stamina lost when taking damage. The armor pieces which provide the most stamina loss reduction will take priority.
  • Light Armor- Naturally Medable armor that provides a small measure of Stamina loss reduction. Includes: Hats, Caps, Glasses, Masks, Cloth Armor, leather armor, Leaf Armor, Circlets, Garish necklaces, and small shield types (bucklers, bronze shield, small plate, tear kite, wooden)
  • Medium Armor - Not naturally Medable these armors provide a light bonus to stamina loss reduction. Includes: Studded Armor, Bone Armor, Woodland Armor, and Hide armor, as well as medium shield types (Metal Shield, Metal Kite, Medium Metal Shield)
  • Heavy Armor - Not naturally medable, these armors are made from the heaviest materials and provide the strongest bonus to stamina loss reduction. Includes: Plate, Chain, Ring, Scale and Stone(moved from medium to heavy armor type), Heavy Shield Types (Order, Chaos, Heater, Large Plate Shield, and Large Stone Shield)
* Mage Armor property reduces the armor type by 1 catagory. Heavy Armor with the Mage Armor property will function as Medium Armor in terms of Stamina loss reduction, Medium Armor as Light.
**Clothing, jewelry, pendents, human/elf necklaces, talismans, quivers, books, weapons, human/elf earings, do not count as armor and DO NO provide any stamina loss reduction
***Human racial ability Tough now provides a small bonus to stamina loss reduction.
Armor Inherent Lower Mana Cost
Each piece of armor will provide a lower mana cost bonus. Each piece of armor up to five pieces will provide a percentage (up to 15%) which is not subject to the lower mana cost cap of 40. The armor pieces which provide the most lower mana cost will take priority. Characters with no armor equipted gain a bonus to Mana Regneration not subject mana regeneration cap.

• Light Armor- Naturally medablr armor that provides a small (1%) lower mana cost bonus. Includes: Hats, Glasses, Masks, Caps, Cloth Armor, Leather Armor, Leaf Armor, Necklances, Circlets.
  • Medium Armor - Not naturally Medable these armors provide the greatest Lower Mana Cost bonus (3%) . Includes: Studded Leather Armor, Bone Armor, Hide Armor and Woodland Armor#
  • Heavy Armor - Not naturally medable, these armors are made from the heaviest materials and provide a good Bonus to Lower Mana Cost (2%). Includes: Plate, Chain, Ring, Scale and Stone(moved from medium to heavy armor type).
#Woodland Armor although listed as medium armor only provides a 1% LMC bonus regardless of mage armor property.

*Mage Armor property reduces the armor's natural LMC bonus by 1%. Heavy Armor with the Mage Armor property will have an LMC bonus of 1%, Medium Armor will have a LMC bonus of 2%.
**Shields and non-armor do not grant any Lower Mana Cost Bonus and are not considered armor when determing if a character is able to recieve the unarmored MR bonus.

Last edited:

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was a time when Kryonix was not a dev, but was an EM who caused a lot of controversy on his shard due to a perceived lack of communication. Perfect qualifications for dev material (in my humble opinion). Do not portray this as an attack on him, this is easily accessible though any number of search methods, and he has identified himself as this EM several times in interviews...

http://stratics.com/community/threads/chat-log-from-mesanna-meeting.231422/

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Bleak

No info yet on Disarm timer?

Please tell me its not 10 seconds from initial Disarm as that would basically be the same as current mechanics once you factor in the rearm time and time it takes for second hit/disarm.

The timer needs to be at least 15 seconds to make the move less spammable

?? Anything?

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless I am reading your posts on this subject wrong you seem to only have issue now that it is nerfed equally on a mage?

You didn't seem to mind it when it was only going to be nerfed on warriors with no fc/fcr?

You don't believe in nerfs being equal? Or do you think that mages should be the only class able to take advantage of one of only three spells worth having on a warrior skill?
Sounds like a lot of whining coming from a player who mainly plays a dexxer. Once again....I play both and fight outnumbered a fair bit. They SHOULD just make animal form fizzle, not affected by FC, but lower the casting time. Then it's fair to all templates that use it. Maybe this will keep the good players attempting to fight outnumbered? I sure hope so and I'm certainly not planning on it for a long time with the way things stand.

FYI you are bad at reading into things and making assumptions.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like a lot of whining coming from a player who mainly plays a dexxer. Once again....I play both and fight outnumbered a fair bit. They SHOULD just make animal form fizzle, not affected by FC, but lower the casting time. Then it's fair to all templates that use it. Maybe this will keep the good players attempting to fight outnumbered? I sure hope so and I'm certainly not planning on it for a long time with the way things stand.

FYI you are bad at reading into things and making assumptions.
And one of the 22 PVP'ers chimes in.

Another question completely unrelated to the above response. How has the response to these TC changes been received by the asian UO community? I am genuinely curious if they are spending time on test, mulling over and discussing these proposed changes as well, since they represent such a large part of the player base?

Last edited:

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And one of the 22 PVP'ers chimes in.

Another question completely unrelated to the above response. How has the response to these TC changes been received by the asian UO community? I am genuinely curious if they are spending time on test, mulling over and discussing these proposed changes as well, since they represent such a large part of the player base?
Oh come on! I bet we have at LEAST 25 on ATL!!! :banana:

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
There was a time when Kryonix was not a dev, but was an EM who caused a lot of controversy on his shard due to a perceived lack of communication. Perfect qualifications for dev material (in my humble opinion). Do not portray this as an attack on him, this is easily accessible though any number of search methods, and he has identified himself as this EM several times in interviews...

lol

There has GOT to be some kind of Spurned Artist calling shots on the dev team, convinced the masses will come to appreciate his creation in due time. Nobody could ignore negative input this hard otherwise.

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It's totally reasonable that a mage could/would have stuff like walls, teleport and various fields as this has normally been the way of RPG games. Mages have eval just as dexxers have tactics for thier damage bonus but no other class has something that enhances the damage burst the same way curse does. Every mage can do any special that any other class can, you have to roll the 90 tactics like everyone else so stop saying that you can't use them because, if so desired, you could.

Give dexxers a hit curse mod and I'd be happy, thought others would call for thier mom's.
Walls, teleport and various fields have not "normally been the way of rpg games," and even if they were, it doesn't mean that they're any less underpowered than curse. You cannot begin to compare the *power* of something in Ultima Online to the *power* of that same ability in another game. What works in UO, might not work in another game, and what works in another game, might not work for UO. Second off, Yes a mage can use the abilities of another class, *IF THEY CHANGE THEIR TEMPLATE*. See, I said that in caps and put some stars around it because it's important to point out that for a mage to do the things of other classes, they have to BECOME a part of that class. Given the example that a mage can use weapon abilities should they pick up 90 tactics and weapon skill, they're not really just a mage anymore, now they're a *TANK MAGE*. See? A Mage, is NOT a Tank Mage. A Tank Mage is a Tank Mage. The same could be said about a dexxer who wants to use curse, wall of stone, teleport and fields. If they want to use those mage abilities, they need to give their character magery, and become... can you guess? I'll give you a hint, it's not a mage. It's a... *TANK MAGE*!

Not one of your points stands, you have yet to explain to me why curse is any more overpowered. As I said, it's *NOT* overpowered, because even with the reduction to stats and resists a mage STILL has less damage output than a thrower/stealther. Especially when you consider that they can be disrupted. Once again, I play many different classes and styles. I specifically try not to play favorites. I DON'T WANT Mages to be too overpowered. I don't want the game to be that easy for me on my mage. I just want it to be balanced. I play other templates too and I don't want to have to fight overpowered mages. And as someone who has played on both sides of the spell, I can tell you that Curse is *Not* overpowered. Now can we stop debating this and stick to the important stuff?

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Unless I am reading your posts on this subject wrong you seem to only have issue now that it is nerfed equally on a mage?

You didn't seem to mind it when it was only going to be nerfed on warriors with no fc/fcr?

You don't believe in nerfs being equal? Or do you think that mages should be the only class able to take advantage of one of only three spells worth having on a warrior skill?
First off, Ninjitsu is *Not* a warrior skill. As I said, Ninjitsu is Ninjitsu. It may provide more usefulness to warriors but that does not imply that it *should not* be useful to a mage at all. To draw the conclusion that he only cares about it's usefulness to mages seems like a bit of a stretch, considering he didn't even mention Mages ONCE.

The only difference between throwers and archers is the extra damage output of the throwing weapons. If you take that away or slow the weapons down they will be identical for all intent.

And when was the last time even an average mage lost a 1 vs 1 to an archer? It don't happen so you will have effectively nerfed throwers into nothing more then a support temp just like archers currently are.

But I assume that is what you believe to be fair based upon your obvious mage bias lol.
The scary mage mashes 3 more keys so he is superior and the only class able to be powerful. Truly sad bro.
You might want to do at least a little research before you debate a point with me. The *only* difference between a thrower and an archer is NOT the extra damage output of throwing weapons. Last I checked, Throwing weapons were one handed. Which means that, in order to chug pots with a bow, you have to use an entire property and 100 intensity weight. If you don't think that makes a huge difference, then why don't you ask an archer what he thinks? Also, Throwers also have a cap of 50% HCI (although not for long), and the ability to fly. That HCI makes (made) a big difference, and also Archers would function as better dismounters (without pets) if getting on foot wasn't more of a risk. What do throwers often do 1v1 to kill their opponents? They dismount them, then they remount (fly) and hit their opponents before they can remount; giving them the advantage of (being mounted), while their opponent has to sit there and let them chain throws without having to stop to move much. Combine having one less property on their weapons, less hci, no ability to fly, AND a much lower damage out put per second, and it's easy to see why Throwers are much better generally and at 1v1's. Nerf Throwers a little, buff Archers a little, and you will find balance.

Oh and btw, I could accuse you of being bias just as easily as you could accuse me. I'm arguing the point that throwers need to be nerfed a bit. That alone doesn't mean I'm bias in favor of mages. "Truly sad bro"? How about try again?

P.S. On my mage, I probably mash a few more than 3 keys than you. My spellbook has 64 spells. How much does yours have?

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
@HLD
Going from 50 DCI to 20 DCI is close to 10% Increase in hit chance to 60%
@10 DCI hit chance is 65%

If anything as a mage, you can forego max DCI and go with a smaller amount since at smaller levels you get smaller drops. No more negative DCI.

Overcapping to completely negate an effect is pretty silly anyway.
and you know what happens at smaller amounts? You get wtfacerolled.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spoke to a dev on test center and they're now looking into ways to remove mage armor from existing items.

All nice, but it seems I couldn't get him to understand that mage armor was a property that has been paid for already (either through imbuing or because it takes the place of an other mod), so if mage armor is removed from existing artifacts, it should put a new property of equal power on it. Like 25% damage increase or something.

I still think it is a stupid idea. Mage armor should just be that: It turns non-medable armor medable. And RETAINS all the properties of the non-medable armor (LMC and stamina protection). Is 140 imbuing weight and an imbuing slot worth 1%/3% lower mana cost and some stamina protection? In most cases I'd say it is even OVERPRICED if anything.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I still think it is a stupid idea. Mage armor should just be that: It turns non-medable armor medable. And RETAINS all the properties of the non-medable armor (LMC and stamina protection). Is 140 imbuing weight and an imbuing slot worth 1%/3% lower mana cost and some stamina protection? In most cases I'd say it is even OVERPRICED if anything.
Exactly. Mage Armor is a very heavily weighted property, and putting it on a full suit gobbles up a whopping 840 imbuing points. Any mage who wanted to gain these new benefits by getting Mage Armor on everything would pretty much HAVE to give up LRC and start carrying regs again. (Either that or cripple themselves by trying to squeeze in both.) Even if they give up LRC, they'll STILL have to make cuts since Mage Armor is a much heavier property.

I dunno, maybe some of these PVP guys can chime in on how they feel about a mage being able to hit 55 LMC, but only if he makes cuts to his suit and starts having to carry regs. I don't know exactly how much people will or won't do for an extra 15.

But I mean, under the proposed system, why does the Mage Armor property even exist anymore? It's just a way for a dexer to wreck a piece of armor, or for a mage to waste 140 imbuing points. It's just a vestigial organ poking out, making it obvious what a beaten-up mess the item system is.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And yet, it's still the first property you would imbue on the bard's Virtuoso Suit, because the tunic is not medable, but the rest of the suit is?

Last edited:

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am ok with mage armor still allowing the stamina protection. But I am still wary of it allowing both the lmc bonus and the stamina protection. I think being able to have the stamina protection plus 55 lmc plus have your armor be meddable could be overpowering. But then again maybe the heavy cost of mage armor and probably being forced to use regs would be a fair trade off. I would not be against them testing it. My concern is would we get enough pvpers to test it? and if something was unbalancing about the 55 lmc would the people that are benefited be willing to say hey yes we shouldn;t have this? Personally I play Siege so either way I doubt this will really affect me no one on Siege is going to put mage armor on all their suits its just too costly when you can't insure your gear. I am concerned though for the affect it could have on prodo shards though.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly. Mage Armor is a very heavily weighted property, and putting it on a full suit gobbles up a whopping 840 imbuing points. Any mage who wanted to gain these new benefits by getting Mage Armor on everything would pretty much HAVE to give up LRC and start carrying regs again. (Either that or cripple themselves by trying to squeeze in both.) Even if they give up LRC, they'll STILL have to make cuts since Mage Armor is a much heavier property.
Exactly, and any mage in PVE will have to have max spell damage increase on items, which is something that can't be imbued, so they'll still prefer to use plenty of non-metal SDI armor pieces such as the kasa, glasses, pendant of the magi, protector of the battle mage, kelp leggings, etc.

If they choose to wear already-outdated Armor of Fortune or Midnight Bracers arties (both having terrible resistances), why should it not grant a bit of stamina protection and 3% LMC? Why does the mage armor property take away the advantages? Same with Heart of the Lion, why does it have to be nerfed?

If I want a paladin with heavy mage armor and meditation in the template, why can't I?

If I want to make a battle mage that sacrifices offense (SDI) and other item properties 840 imbuing points! to wear medium armor for the extra bit of LRC and some stamina protection, why can't I? It's not like a mage even benefits a lot from stamina like a warrior does!

LEAVE MAGE ARMOR ALONNNNNNNE! :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I am ok with mage armor still allowing the stamina protection. But I am still wary of it allowing both the lmc bonus and the stamina protection. I think being able to have the stamina protection plus 55 lmc plus have your armor be meddable could be overpowering.
I dunno, isn't stamina loss in leather supposed to be the same as stamina loss currently is on production shards, with heavier armor reducing it from there? Do mages get stammed out in PVP a lot currently, is that a thing that happens? I'm thinking the stamina protection thing may not end up being a big deal for mages one way or another except for maybe not having to drink a potion now and then.

And the 55 LMC, I dunno man. It's a nice bonus, but they're paying more for that last 15 alone than they did for the first 40 combined. I think it could be an interesting trade-off. As opposed to the current proposal, where having Mage Armor on anything at all would make you some sort of idiot newb.
But then again maybe the heavy cost of mage armor and probably being forced to use regs would be a fair trade off. I would not be against them testing it. My concern is would we get enough pvpers to test it? and if something was unbalancing about the 55 lmc would the people that are benefited be willing to say hey yes we shouldn't have this?
You could say this of anything though. The people who are benefitting wouldn't denounce it, but all the dexers and the mages who didn't want to carry regs would.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

To be honest, Kyronix has been very communicative in dev form. hes been very interactive on test center and on the forums.