• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Updated Publish 81 on TC1

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be clear I never said they were trying to free up mana. I was submitting an idea that would lower the strenuous need for so much stamina (in my opinion) for slow weapons. The method I submitted was to lower the speed of weapons, which would lower the need for high stamina thus giving the option to add mana. I apologize this was not more clear.

I never said to lower the weapon speed so much that "people can use any weapon available and max swing it". I was only proposing to lower it and that could mean .25 seconds or more. .25 would still not make all weapons usable. So since I'm trying to be more clear I would like to see more then .25 on SOME of the weapons mainly anything that takes over 4s to swing at 80 dex + 30 SSI.

After lowering the weapon speeds down say .25 (or more) folks will still need a boat load of stamina and ssi to swing big weapons. Getting the swing speed down a bit will make some nice looking weapons available. Old school hallie would be wonderful to even swing a 1.50. Currently you need 40 ssi + 200 stamina to swing the Halberd at 1.75 which in my opinion will not fly at a spawn. Maybe in other cases this would be fine, however I can't thing of one that I would use.

I don't have the answer I was only submitting something to provoke thought in a positive light. I want to apologize for any miss leading statement that lead anyone to believe I was saying all weapons should have max ssi.

Thanks for your feedback and perception on this matter. I have to tell you this, on Baja we are so slow you really need to have some kind of way to be able to solo bosses and or spawns. You can't find people on slow shard to play with 24/7. Sometimes you can but not always. In my opinion solo builds are necessary unless they close slow shards. I don't know the answer here but I guess they could scale a monsters "billion hit points" down to closely match amount of real players it encountering.

Thanks again or all your feedback and thought provoking ideas!

Spell Breaker
Yeah I agree any melee weapon 4.0 secs and over needs to be brought down. Though halberds I think with the new changes will be able to swing at 1.75 with 30% and 180 stam. Still needs to be faster though. I am still probably going to give one a try again in pvm. I remember using the blaze of death years ago but then of course the soulseeker came out and that was better lol.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm really becoming less and less enamored of them messing with stamina at all. I mean for me personally it's great, this whole publish is great. I don't lose stamina anymore, I've got like 50% LMC, my primary weapon is a tick faster, life is good. But if they're not content with having made the sampire template even more mandatory in melee PVM then they're going to have to revamp this whole thing yet again.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No offense but we are all going down a bad road if we start changing/adjusting the entire game to suit slower shards for any reason imo

Bosses should not be able to be soloed, period. There are plenty of other things to kill solo that still give amazing loot. You cant have everything on one char. That goes for pvp and pvm
Yeah I have to agree certain things should not be soloable.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm really becoming less and less enamored of them messing with stamina at all. I mean for me personally it's great, this whole publish is great. I don't lose stamina anymore, I've got like 50% LMC, my primary weapon is a tick faster, life is good. But if they're not content with having made the sampire template even more mandatory in melee PVM then they're going to have to revamp this whole thing yet again.
I like the stamina thing on armor and such to a certain degree but I think they went to far with nerfing divine fury and stamina leech. Divine fury should probably be returned to what it was or at least close. The nerf to stamina leech probably needs to be toned down too. Or maybe they could lower the over all amount of stamina you would leech but keep it consistant. So you donlt start out a fight fine then suddenly after several swings you are hardly leeching any stamina..

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tell it to a 95 DCI sampire with 50 LMC who never loses stamina! Muahaha-- ahem-- heh. But seriously, we are set to see some new frontiers of sampy badassery/soloing as it is.
Oh I know hehe. Though they did say something about fixing the hld over capping issue based on player feedback. Hopefully that will also mean no more 95% cap.

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does Diminishing Returns on Stamina Leach mean that you leach a little less every swing?

Or that like Mana Regeneration, each little point of Stamina Leach still counts but they count less and less?

The latter strikes me as more-acceptable than the former.

I am sad to say that others' experiences suggesting that the changes might make the Sampire template, which is already rather viable, even more viable relative to other dexxer templates, matches what I expected.

At least now we'll see them in Reforged Plate rather than wood?

The Sampire template, however, has in fairness proven extremely resilient, and I suspect that nothing can alter the PvM predominance of that template until and unless they find some way specifically to nerf it, and only it.

-Galen's player

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My sampire (in 4 parts plate and 2 parts studded/bone with a 50% stam leech weapon) can't lose stamina if he tries on TC. I'm never below full health for very long unless my face is getting rocked, my stamina never seems to drop unless I'm getting hit for 50+ damage, and if I'm taking multiple hits that hard in short order then I'm too dead to leech any stamina anyway.

Would like to see more test data on this, preferably from non-sampires, but non-sampire melees who already own decent nonmed suits are rare. Wish they'd give you real imbuing ingredients on TC so you could make armor there. Seems kinda difficult to test armor changes otherwise.
Yeah it would be nice to get some more ingrediants on test. I play on Siege so I can;t transfer a character over anyway *at least I donlt think I can* And for the most part armor wise I donlt use any special ingrediants except for boura pelts in certain cases. However I bless my weapons so I am not afraid to go all out with those. Not to mention it would be nice to have the special ingrediants to test these new imbuing weights! It certainly makes testing harder though when you can;t really make what you would actually wear/carry on a regular shard.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still don't understand why or where the call for a stam leech nerf came from. Why is it tied into a stam punch in the nuts that is this armor revamp?

Give more options, yes I recall that but this stuff I don't really recall anyone asking for.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still don't understand why or where the call for a stam leech nerf came from. Why is it tied into a stam punch in the nuts that is this armor revamp?

Give more options, yes I recall that but this stuff I don't really recall anyone asking for.
I think with the stamina protection thing on armor maybe they figured they better make stamina harder to maintain as well. And while like I said before I donlt think people should be able to maintain max stamina from stamina leech alone, it shouldn;t be too hard either. I mean to bring up Zamots case again he said he was using divine fury stamina leech woodland armor and had 120 focus on. He still had trouble maintaining stamina even with that setup. That to me shows that these nerfs are too much. Maybe stamina was too easy to maintain before maybe not but either way this is too far. However I am still probably going to try Galens lifeleech idea and see if that helps at all in maintaining life and therefore stamina.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
50% hit stamina leech should equal 50% of my damage being leeched towards stamina, it would seem rather straight forward to me. Putting in a silent dimishing return and not even having the respect of the community to admit, acknowledge or discuss it is insulting to everyone. Things like this annoy people and place the team in a light which could be seen as having a lack of knowledge of the day to day aspects of the game. It's hard to believe that they could be playing the same game as the rest of us while attempting to place such drastic changes forward. Though it could be my views that this is the case given the lack of any sight of them actually playing save for the odd item give away I'd have to say it's true.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
50% hit stamina leech should equal 50% of my damage being leeched towards stamina, it would seem rather straight forward to me. Putting in a silent dimishing return and not even having the respect of the community to admit, acknowledge or discuss it is insulting to everyone. Things like this annoy people and place the team in a light which could be seen as having a lack of knowledge of the day to day aspects of the game. It's hard to believe that they could be playing the same game as the rest of us while attempting to place such drastic changes forward. Though it could be my views that this is the case given the lack of any sight of them actually playing save for the odd item give away I'd have to say it's true.
Well they did put something about it in the patch notes. The problem is I donlt think there is anythingin there about just how big the nerf is and exactly what they mean by diminishing returns.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weapon effect: Hit stamina leech is now subject to diminishing returns based on max player stamina.

This is from the patch notes.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm sorry, it was included in the misc changes....clearly a mistake on my part.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Patch Notes 2013 Feb 22 23:22 GMT
Weapon Revamp

All weapons have now been normalized based on weapon speed and handedness.
After examination of the 1H and 2H weapon speeds versus their min, max, and calculated average damages, the following weapons did not follow suit with the rest:
  • Gargish Lance & Lance, Base damage 18-22 / Weapon Speed 4.25 seconds
The damage jumped up higher than I expected versus other 1H weapons (expected base damage 17-21). Lances are unique, in that their dismount only works only against other lance wielding opponents, yet they are the only Fencing weapon with Concussion (UBWS allows access to more practical choices than a lance for this special). I will not lose sleep over this, regardless if it gets changed or not. I made pretty charts, but I will spare all of you this time.

Aside from the above, 2H weapons have a consistently higher damage than their equivalent speed, 1H counterparts. :thumbsup:

Weapon Special Move Updates
All in all there are only eight weapons (of the 90+ available) which are changing one special move each. There are no modifications to both of the special moves for any weapon. Most of the changes make the weapon either offensive or defensive focused, where before it was a little of both. Many people were relieved to see the Leafblade and Daisho remain unchanged (from their current specials. :)

Weapon Special Move Mana Cost Changes
The majority of the special moves will see a decrease in the mana cost to perform them. The few increases are primarily to Archery Only special moves. This will go a long way in relieving the mana burden of the warrior. :)

Weapon Special Move Changes
Several special moves are getting buffed, to be more comparable to the effectiveness of Armor Ignore. This will increase the diversity of the weapons and battlefield tactics currently being used. Though I have not been able to test all of these changes in great detail, I like what I see. :)

Armor Revamp

Armor Stamina Loss Update
I am glad to see a stamina protection component to my choice of armor now. It adds flavor to the non-meddable armors, so they are now different than leather (rather than inferior). It will allow warriors to maintain a higher stamina through a fight, thus resulting in a consistently higher swing speed and damage output. Current stamina loss is being used as the baseline to scale the protection upwards, so this change is purely beneficial for those who want to use “heavier” armors (metal, dragonscale). :thumbup1:

Armor Inherent Lower Mana Cost
Coupled with the stamina protection is the bonus LMC provided by non-medable armors. This bonus can go beyond the LMC cap of 40%. This will also help ease the mana burden of a warrior. The “lighter” non-medable armors have a higher LMC bonus than their metal counterparts, which lets them standout. The choice in armor will center on tactical options:
  1. Increased Mana Recovery, through meditation (allowed by leather, leaf, cloth).
  2. Reduced Stamina Loss (metal, dragonscale).
  3. Reduced Mana Cost (studded, bone, hide, stone)
Mage Armor negates both the Stamina Protection (SP) and LMC Bonus of the armor piece in the current publish. Many have called this drawback too severe, since it Mage Armor is a significant property to imbue on armor (140/500 total intensity). There are primarily two proposed alternatives: 1) full allotment of the SP and LMC; or 2) Reduced SP and LMC Bonus.
  1. Full Allotment. You can’t eat you cake and have it too. Combining the “best of both worlds” often lead to great imbalances in MMOs. There needs to be a meaningful trade-off to being able to meditate and have some SP and LMC Bonus. With the loot generator in the revamped dungeons, it is easy to obtain a Mage Armor piece much better than what can be imbued, with little-to-no negative modifiers. Crafting exceptional SE platemail with a high end runic, provides the Mage Armor property for free, while still receiving the 4-5 properties from the runic. :thumbdown:
  2. Reduced. This is a more tempered approach than #1, but requires some refinement. The approach is to make Mage armor act as the “next lower” armor type (e.g. Metal > Studded; Studded > Leather). Refinement is needed because a Studded Mage Armor piece would have no SP or LMC Bonus, which is how it is on the current publish (not the intent of the idea). This idea has room to grow. :thumbup1:
Armor Refinement
A lot of effort has gone into play testing the in and outs of the crafting component of the armor refinements (Thank You). There are a lot of places to get the components, which is great. Everyone gets a slice of the pie. Unfortunately, from what I gather reading their findings, there are too many pieces to the puzzle. The number of components is overwhelming and will scare off many players from using it.

The core concept is good is a sound trade: either more damage, less often (lower resists, higher DCI) or less damage, more often (higher resists, less DCI). I am glad to see the team receptive to the suggestions of the players. I am looking forward to their revision/streamline of the refinements system. Hopefully this opens the door for future refinements (e.g. SDI-v-LRC, HCI-v-DI, SSI-v-DI, etc…). :thumbsup:

Misc Changes
My thoughts on the following changes:
  • Gargoyle HCI Cap. All races should have all of the same caps, different benefits, but the same caps.
  • HLD. The core change (percentile versus flat decrease) is a great change to make this a very effective property. However, there are issues with how Overcapping DCI is used which make this property and the Armor Refinements ineffective. The team has responded to these issues: http://stratics.com/community/threads/uo-com-updated-publish-81-on-tc1.295468/. I am looking forward to their changes. :thumbsup:
  • Animal Form. It makes sense that it can be interrupted. I can be interrupted trying to re-mount an Ethy or cast a spell. Even though is not effected by FC, will Casting Focus have an effect?
  • Throwing. Even though I’m going to have to re-learn the sweet spots, if it balances out the skill I am all for it.
  • Greater Refresh Potions. This change does not really affect me. I do not wait for my stamina to be in the toilet before I drink a potion. With the removal of the timer, it might mean carrying a few more potions. I would like to see push-through actually use stamina, rather than require you to be at full stamina.
  • Hit Stamina Leech. I am concerned with what I read on this one (I have not had the chance to test it much). Does it behave similar to Hit Life leech and Hit Mana Leech (see here: http://uo2.stratics.com/items/magic-item-properties)? I would very much like all three of the leech effects to behave the same (different magnitudes, but the same manner). I understand a need to change stamina leech, so it compliments the new Stamina Protection (SP) rather than eclipse it. :confused:
  • Divine Fury. Similar to the HSL, it needs to be complimentary.
  • Balanced 2H Weapons. The “no parry” penalty is too severe. There still needs to be a trade-off for balanced on 2H weapons, but as it stands with this penalty, characters with Parry or Bushido are better off using a 1H weapon to drink potions (which is no different than it is currently, see here: http://stratics.com/community/threads/uo-com-updated-publish-81-notes.294228/page-3#post-2235428). The trade-off needs to be more tempered; there is work to be done here. :sad4:
  • Imbuing Cap Increase for 2H Weapons and Bows. Good, solid change.

Summary
There are a lot of good changes coming with this publish. There are a couple key issues and some tweaks that need work still, but all-in-all this is a good publish. I will probably hold off on testing this publish out further, I think I have taken this round as far as I can go. I can’t wait to see what “Round 3” of this publish brings.

Stayin Alive,

BG

and I learned there is a format eraser

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You would never see them playing - they wouldn't play on chars the players would recognise. How could they? They'd be mobbed by players asking questions and wanting to tell them stuff the minute they appeared.
They DO play, but we won't ever know the chars they play as.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The Sampire template, however, has in fairness proven extremely resilient, and I suspect that nothing can alter the PvM predominance of that template until and unless they find some way specifically to nerf it, and only it.
A targeted nerf to Sampires is easy as pie. We need to simultaneously improve the sorry state of non-sampire melee by a substantial margin though, or else we're just sending everyone off to reroll throwers or whatever.

Personally I'd really like to see things split into Necro/Bushido Sampires and Chivalry/Bushido Paladins. (I'd also like to see Bushido quit being so ubiquitous, but what else are melee people supposed to take as a second skill? Spellweaving or some crap?)

Splitting them is dead simple. "You cannot channel the holy power of Chivalry in your undead form" or something of that nature. Blam, done. This introduces a couple of problems, however.

1) How do we keep the Paladin from exploding when being wailed on by hard-hitting modern enemies?
2) How do we do so without making Chivalry archers basically immortal in PVM?

I'm thinking of something like... and I'm just talking out my ass here... but something like... when the Paladin invokes New Power X, melee hits from the selected enemy give him a stacking damage reduction buff. With each hit he takes 10% less damage, up to a maximum of 50% reduction. If he goes 10 seconds without being hit, his buff goes down one step. Reverse Perfection, basically.

So the Paladin has to be careful during the opening stages of an important PVM fight, but after that he's in good shape. Meanwhile the archer isn't getting hit often enough to care about this at all. You could tie it to Enemy of One, or to Honor, or make it a new spell mutually exclusive with Enemy of One if you think it needs to be balanced. And Sampires can't have it. It's life leech, or it's New Power X. Pick one.

Just spitballing.

Last edited:

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You're welcome. Unfortunately that's the size its going to be and resizing it isn't within the capabilities of the CC (she's a fickle beast). We tried to keep it as small as possible while still giving as much information as possible to make building your suit with the classic client not require the fabled "spread sheet." Sure if you want to squeeze every last mod you'd need to go that route (Personally I always used post-its), but between the various armor crafting abilities available I was able to build my suit comfortably and easily while just swapping out equipment and looking at the stat window. Admittedly I did have various webpages up (UO.com, UOGuide, Stratics) when figuring out exactly what I wanted and how to get it, but I think that's been UO since as long as I can remember...did anyone else have the stratics crafting guide printed out in a 3 ring binder next to their PC? Ok, maybe I was just that big of a nerd....*grins* That's UO though, it wouldn't be much of anything without the community behind it. The out of game stuff is sometimes just as fun as being in game. I know for me being able to log on to stratics and read the guides and essays was the fix I needed while I couldn't be in game while things like school got in the way. We try to provide as much information in game (like the Armor Refiner NPCs, Item Property guide) to allow the player to make an informed decision while not breaking immersion too much. While we can't cover all the ins-and-outs of Britannia in game that's where the amazing work of so many comes in providing playguides, essays, and the like.

I've seen a lot of comments about the complexity of refining and we are working to streamline and simplify the refining process based on some of the conversations we've had with the testers on TC (I have to tip my hat to Tina, she's been a testing machine!) and from out of game feedback as well. A smart guy once said, "There's a problem with opening Pandora's Box - you can't close it." I think we can all agree that our Pandora's Box is wide open(AoS, Enhancing, Imbuing, Reforging, Refining). I'll save the debate for whether or not it should've stayed closed or not for another day, but that's the hand we've got and we need to build from there.

One of our goals is to revitalize the crafter profession so that even if you don't want to get into the nitty gritty of suit building, there is someone else who will. Another player pointed out that some time ago it seemed like crafters were all but extinct and now that isn't the case. That gives me a warm fuzzy.

Well I've rambled on for long enough and I think my muffins are about to burn. Thanks again everyone for testing and giving feedback!
does a goblin peein on yur armor effect the wear of it?

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The creature that shouldn't be soloed and are is an easy fix. Change the special drops only happening when certain number players have looting rights.

Have every drop in the game at Doom. That will give the anti social and off time players someplace to go. Fluff the Doom drop list with some unique deco.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
im done commenting for now, i think what has needed to be said has been said and emphasized. waiting to hear what the devs do, and when we can start doing stuff with this new publish.

Last edited:

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The creature that shouldn't be soloed and are is an easy fix. Change the special drops only happening when certain number players have looting rights.

Have every drop in the game at Doom. That will give the anti social and off time players someplace to go. Fluff the Doom drop list with some unique deco.
There's a lot of things that should never be soloed but they are. It's a mixed feelings thing for me as i can see there's little community in terms of gathering a guild with the same playtime that would also want to do what you want to do when you want to do it. On the other hand i feel it's ridiculous that i can take a single character and solo a spawn without the fear of ever dying.

I think the shame/wrong revamp was a step in the right direction in terms of taking forever to kill the harder things but i also think there's too much in one place. I really dig the blood elem but my samp cannot handle more than 2 at a time and a solid 6 spawn and stick together.

I've mentioned before that i feel faction arties should be taken from factions and implimented into arties anyone can wear. I would leave the old arties the way they are and introduce the "faction" ones as replacements as to increase population in doom, at the library donation, and at lady mel.

Chrome

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does Diminishing Returns on Stamina Leach mean that you leach a little less every swing?

Or that like Mana Regeneration, each little point of Stamina Leach still counts but they count less and less?

I am sad to say that others' experiences suggesting that the changes might make the Sampire template, which is already rather viable, even more viable relative to other dexxer templates, matches what I expected.

-Galen's player
About Stamina Leech, I investigated the relation of damage and stamina recovery.
The difference in the amount of recovery by the stamina maximum and diminishing returns can be checked.
It becomes difficult to make stamina recover completely at once.

stamina_leech_pub81tc.gif

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Summary
There are a lot of good changes coming with this publish. There are a couple key issues and some tweaks that need work still, but all-in-all this is a good publish. I will probably hold off on testing this publish out further, I think I have taken this round as far as I can go. I can’t wait to see what “Round 3” of this publish brings.

Stayin Alive,

BG
Great Summary Barry! Better then mine to be honest but I put the work to put it together so I'll post it along with yours to provide addition information or more accurately much of the same information from a different perspective.

Summary of Player Feedback for Publish 81: [Common Issues]

Armor Changes Difficult to Understand:

*Add a feature when you hover over armor it shows inherent properties (like Stamina Protection, and LMC bonus) to help players understand changes.

**Creation of Armor classifications Heavy Armor, Medium Armor, and Light Armor as well as a non-armor category to provide a framework to help players organize and conceptualize how armor functions. All armor types provide an inherent LMC bonus (1%-3%) and stamina protection (1-3) based on Armor Category. Non-armor has no inherent LMC or Stamina protection bonus.

Mage Armor Property Negating Inherent Armor Benefits:

*The cost of Mage Armor is steep and player feedback supports allowing it to function without penalty.

**Create an item to remove the Mage Armor Property

**If a player has the Meditation Skill - Mage Armor negates inherent armor benefits of Non-Medable Armor ie a player can advantage of either the Medable aspects of armor or the non-med benefits but not both.

***Keep Stamina protection on non-medable armor but rather then LMC add something more warrior related (like HCI, DMG, etc) likewise add something mage related to med armor (LRC, SDI, etc).

***Mage Armorprovides medability through armor that is normally non-medable but reduces its LMC bonus and Stamina Protection benefits.

Increasing resist caps through refinement is based on armor type:

-Feedback

*Refinement should be more customizable allow the crafter to choose which resistance caps they wish to increase.

Refinement allows Players to have to unbalanced DCI [95]

*Keep effective DCI at 45, allow over-capping through refinement but not change a character’s effective DCI.

Refinement DCI/HLD hard to understand, capping issue: [Currently being addressed by Dev’s but added here so as to not be flamed for leaving it out]

*Remove Refinement and use ore types (Copper, Val, Shadow, etc) in a manner similar to how wood influences woodland armor.

**Move refinement from this publish focus on Stamina Protection, Inherent LMC and SSI reduction properties for the first publish.

**Allow Refinement to work with all armor types (Med and Non-Med alike) and cap DCI at 45. Allow refinement to raise the DCI cap of a player while keeping effective DCI at 45. This would address the over-capping issue with DCI, prevent people from walking around with massive DCI bonus’s, but allow over-capping DCI to buffer the effects of Hit Lower Defense (not eliminate) by using the refinement system to lower max resistances through the refinement system.

Disarm timer not long enough

*Length of timer should be lengthened

**Timer length is fine but should begin when player is able to re-arm rather then when disarm is applied.

***Timer changes good but the main issue with disarm isn’t the timer, its that there is no unarmed dodge chance for the warrior class to match the mage anat/eval combination. Currently a warrior has no natural dodge ability and is an automatic hit when disarmed.

Divine Fury Nerf

*Divine Fury change is to strong. People take more damage and stamina loss then it can recover and its more beneficial not to use it.

**Divine Fury change is good but negative side effects of reduced DCI should be reduced. In tests people were losing more stamina then they would gain because they were being hit more often as a result of using divine fury (less stamina, same reduction in DCI)

Curse and Refinement

-Feedback

*Creates an issue where Curse negates the effects of Armor Refinement when used to increase an elemental resistance cap.

Two–Handed Weapons:

-Feedback

*Overall great changes only issue was the inability to parry with a balanced two handed weapon is to severe a penalty, but rather allow them to parry as a one handed weapon.

Weapon Speed and Damage Changes:

-Feedback

*Well received in general, some feel that the slowest melee weapons are still a little slow to be useful.

I am sure I missed something (or many somethings) and probably something important. If you have additional thoughts on the topic, see things I forgot to mention or have additional feedback from others not active on the boards, please add it to the discussion,

Thanks,

-Lore’s Player

Last edited:

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He plays a blue thrower 99% of the time named Preacher. He is also known as Captain Trips he's pretty bad to be honest all he does is spam armor igorne & Mortal and if he fails to kill you he runs until he has full mana.
100% accurate. Why would someone who mainly plays a thrower NOT want a huge Ninja nerf? This player also never plays faction so has no experience dealing with fighting outnumbered. Goodbye outnumbered pvp!

Hey Kage I hear League of Legends is fun! Downloading! :hug:

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Galen's player

Why would you call for a nerf of this template? Fix the other templates to make them viable instead. It's not viable in PVP so there's no balance issue. 99% of loot sucks in PVM so what's the problem?

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would you call for a nerf of this template? Fix the other templates to make them viable instead. It's not viable in PVP so there's no balance issue. 99% of loot sucks in PVM so what's the problem?
Let's nerf the main pvm template some more so more people quit UO. Let's whine that someone is smart enough to make a character to make gold on his own and play it well.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's nerf the main pvm template some more so more people quit UO. Let's whine that someone is smart enough to make a character to make gold on his own and play it well.
Yeah I think the main issue is people just donlt want that to become the only viable pvm melee template.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Right now massive life-leech is the only way for a melee combatant to tank the massive damage handed out by major enemies, so of course everyone and their dog is a Sampire. They need to add another way to deal with all that PVM damage, without letting Sampires pile it on to become invincible.

Until they do that, just "nerfing Sampires" isn't going to accomplish anything except to kill off melee completely. I'd like some feedback on my spitballed idea above, honestly.

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aloha guys,

Its going to be nice to see the armor update make other armor skins become available and I hope they do not nerf any your builds/templets. It is a push pull adventure. On that note its really awesome to see feedback posted by different folks. It has defiantly provoked thought.

My question is this - At what point do we say soloing is OR is not a problem. A patient person can solo Lady M with a Mystic/Bard, despise with necro or tamer, doom with Sampire, most renowned with a mystic or tamer, Navery with a 0 skilled character popping the traps. In most solo scenario's it takes longer to solo a spawn/renowned/boss then it does to use the traps to kill Navery.

So are we proposing to killing off a specific templet if so which one? Cuz the truth is you can not solo everything in the entire game with 1 type of solo build. You need a few solo type characters as indicated above for one to play by themselves.

Until then I pray they do not kill off the Sampires, solo build tamers, solo build necros, solo build mystics and solo build chivalry ninjas.

On the asian shards we love our Sampires :D

Spell Breaker
PS is there a solo Corgul build?

Last edited:

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right now massive life-leech is the only way for a melee combatant to tank the massive damage handed out by major enemies, so of course everyone and their dog is a Sampire. They need to add another way to deal with all that PVM damage, without letting Sampires pile it on to become invincible.

Until they do that, just "nerfing Sampires" isn't going to accomplish anything except to kill off melee completely. I'd like some feedback on my spitballed idea above, honestly.
Coming from someone that doesn't enjoy pvm as it stands, I like your ideas to add diversity in the builds and templates available.

Splitting them is dead simple. "You cannot channel the holy power of Chivalry in your undead form" or something of that nature
Great solution, these skills were specifically designed to be opposites. I'd even go as far as to say your chiv and necro skill should be equal the absolute value of (Chiv) - (Necro). So 100 Chiv, and 80 Neco gives you 20 Necro and 20 Chiv. Basically you've wasted 180 skill points to be a human caster of each.

1) How do we keep the Paladin from exploding when being wailed on by hard-hitting modern enemies?
From a pure Paladin's perspective (at least this one) This is what I would do to make my Paladin pvm ready (without adding in secondary skills like Spell Weaving, Necro, Bushido, etc). 4/6 casting [heal spell, cure spell, remove curse spell], bandages, parry, life leech on a wep, hpr on armor, High DCI have some eater properties depending on monsters you are fighting, potions in a real bind [but depending on your setup you would likely go to 3/6 casting when chugging, and lose signifigant parry chance].

Someone that pvm's high end monsters will be able to comment more but I see mana as becoming an issue. I wouldn't be able to have Focus or Med, Chiv does not count towards lowering LMC for specials so the cost of using them is higher. Most of the mana pool would be there for keeping my character healed, cured and uncursed along with offensive spells like Concencrate weapon, Divine Fury and Enemy of One. It would be difficult to use anything other then a one-handed weapon for damage because of 4/6 casting and Pally's do not parry with two handers like a Bushido character. You have the option of incorporating something like the orny but then you run into issues with hci and dci [particularly with Divine Fury].

This is a lot of work and focus for much less return then the current sampire template.... so what needs to be added to make Chiv and other melee classes viable in pvm...

when the Paladin invokes New Power X, melee hits from the selected enemy give him a stacking damage reduction buff. With each hit he takes 10% less damage, up to a maximum of 50% reduction. If he goes 10 seconds without being hit, his buff goes down one step. Reverse Perfection, basically.... So the Paladin has to be careful during the opening stages of an important PVM fight, but after that he's in good shape. Meanwhile the archer isn't getting hit often enough to care about this at all. You could tie it to Enemy of One, or to Honor, or make it a new spell mutually exclusive with Enemy of One if you think it needs to be balanced. And Sampires can't have it. It's life leech, or it's New Power X. Pick one.
I think a new Paladin spell along those lines would work well. Holy Ward or something... The idea of making it only effective if you are standing toe to toe makes it a good way to prevent throwers and Archers from abusing the power. I'm sticking with the premis that Necro and Pally skills should cancel each other out. Make it a mid level spell and tie it to karma and Chiv. Allow it to be cast at 80 or so chiv without fizzle but scale the duration and effects with Karma and Chiv up to 120.

Since its a reduction of damage over time and (not a single attack), I'd scale the damage reduction much lower. 0-7% with a -3 to+3% based on Karma level... so a Paladin with negative karma would actually take more damage -3%. I saw you mention it as a reverse perfection and it reminds me of a reverse battle lust.

So a high Chiv, High Karma character under the effects would look something like:
First Hit 3% damage reduction (if hit withinin 2.50 ticks +2%) everytime 2.50 seconds pass and no damage is recieved the spell drops 1%
up to a max of 10% damage reduction and can never fall below the spells baseline (in this case 3%)
Add a Chiv specific casting focus bonus of 1%-3% (scaled 1-2 with Chiv skill and a +1 bonus st high Karma) that can put the Pally over the 12% cap while under Holy Ward. (Casters Focus + 1-3%) (Max 15%). This will help a Paladin heal, cure, remove curse while in combat with less chance of being interupted. You could also tie the spell to complement Divine Fury, in the way Reactive Armor and Reflect Magic work for magery. Add a 1-5% DCI bonus (scaled 1-4 with Chiv 60-120 with a +1 bonus at High Karma while spell is in effect [At 120 Chiv and Highest Karma with Divine Fury and Holy Ward in effect character would have a -5 DCI]

The spell can be canceled by Ward Removal type spells and abilities, Evil Omen, Curse and the weapon special of Mortal Wound would all remove Holy Ward but at the same time have their effects nullified. Casting Holy Ward while under those effects will NOT remove them.

Mana Cost slightly higher then Remove Curse, duration between Consecrate Weapon and Divine Fury. Casting time similiar to remove Curse.

You may be reading this and think its not enough and that might be true but I am a believe its better to have something a little weaker and slightly useful then putting something in game that is to powerful and later needs to be nerfed.

Potential issues of stacking it with other casting and so this spell should provide half benefits if a character has with more then 20 skill in other casting arts (magery, spellweave, Mystism). [base scale -2 to 3] [+3 or -3 for high karma = -5% to 6%]

That is a really long answer to your question but a duration spell with some DCI bonus, casting focus and damage reduction would certainly help the Paladin while still making it much less powerful then the current Sampire Templates while provide an option that might make it at least interesting to play.

An easy way to help Chiv and its mana issues in PVM would be to add the Chiv Skill to the list of mana reducing melee skills like ninjitsu and Bushido. This would reduce the mana cost for weapon specials for Paladin characters who invest in Chiv. I think most people think that change makes sense and are surprised to find out it is not included.

The other route would be to consider Paladin's casters like spellweavers, mages and mystics and allow the class to take advantage of casting specialization and spell damage (which currently doesn't effect Chiv). I think most people would want option 1 since Holy Light would be the only Chiv spell to benefit from spell damage Increase.

From a pvp perspective, the spell would also be useful but I've provided many avenues of removal (Magery, Mystism, Talisman, Necro, weapon ability Mortal) to keep it from being overpowering and balanced.

2) How do we do so without making Chivalry archers basically immortal in PVM?
I like the way you nerfed it for range attackers in pvm by making the damage reduction based on damage taken in a short period of time. In pvp this wouldn't be an effective nerf and you'd have to go a step further by reducing the damage absorbtion effects by 1/2 when using a ranged weapon (Archer or Throwing). Basically a scaled absorbtion from 0-2 on Chiv skill and a -3 to +3 for karma for a min/max range of -3 to 5). This would mean that initially the spell would provide both Melee and Ranged weapon users the same small protection but ranged users would never abosrb more then 5% whereas melee could abosrb up to 10% at the highest levels.

There are probably a hundred other ways then the ones listed here all with benefits and drawbacks. As a long time Pally these are the types of changes I'd like to see. I tried to adapt your idea to be fair and balanced but being that I play a paladin there is no way I can be sure I am being completely objective.

-Lore's Player

PS: I'd like to see the Paladin Sword maybe be class specific, give it special Chiv related specials or allow the Paladin spell divine fury to over the SSI cap (60) for this weapon alone (Pally sword and Pally spell). I will jump on the Spellbreaker bandwagon for this weapon anyway, a 5.0 melee weapon is pretty slow even for my liking (and if you've read this thread I am pretty much against lowering weapon speeds in general). In fact this is the only weapon, I believe to slow to be useful in the game (the Heavy Crossbow has same speed and damage but is ranged with moving shot and dismount). The Pally sword should probably be scaled down at least a tick to 4.75 (maybe even to 4.50 but not any faster). That keep it the slowest melee weapon by at least a tic and the heaviest damaging melee weapon.

Last edited:

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new status bar that you see if you log in using client_tc shows you your DCI, so it seems like it should be possible to watch what's happening with it if you use it when you log on TC. (You find it in the same folder as the regular client, but the name is "client_tc.exe." Be sure to "run as administrator.")
View attachment 12852

This is what I found on Stratics about the Divine Fury spell: "Temporarily increases the Paladin’s swing speed, chance to hit, and damage dealt, while lowering the Paladin’s defenses. Upon casting, some of the Paladin’s Stamina is also refreshed. Duration of the spell is affected by caster’s Karma. The effect lasts for 7 to 24 seconds. At elder and above the defence chance penalty is reduced."

However, the publish 81 notes released on 2/23 included this line: "Chivalry: Divine Fury stamina regenerated decreased to 2.5x duration from 4x duration."

So does that mean that, at most, it will only last 17.5 seconds, depending on your character's karma?

I am not sure what the heck that means, is it the stamina regen duration aspect that is reduced or the entire spell duration.... I have no idea, I'll have to test that. Thanks for pointing that out.

And is -15 DCI the penalty up to 110.1 chivalry skill, or am I reading everything wrong? (I'm so ignorant on this stuff, so hopefully you can bear with my dumb questions/comments.)
I know its -20 at GM Chiv and High Karma.... At Legendary and High Karma its -10 DCI... I used to know where the drops in DCI occured but I can't find the information anywhere.

-Lore's Player

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yeah 50% damage reduction is probably way too high, but I wanted to put the concept out there. I think if this spell were going to function in PVP, though, it would have to scale completely differently with player damage. Any amount of damage reduction high enough to be relevant against monsters dishing out 50+ damage would probably screw PVP over completely.

Also, what up man? My first real guild was Ankh of Unity on GL, right after Trammel came out. I still remember hanging out on the roof of that large tower alongside the road to Skara with Messenger and Maximus and Olga and all of them. You placed my very first house for me. :D

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
100% accurate. Why would someone who mainly plays a thrower NOT want a huge Ninja nerf? This player also never plays faction so has no experience dealing with fighting outnumbered. Goodbye outnumbered pvp!

Hey Kage I hear League of Legends is fun! Downloading! :hug:
Ok bro :)

Do you think that anyone playing Atlantic doesn't know that you only play your crappy mage when you have a group on?

"a huge Ninja nerf" Huh?? They tweaked one spell and changed nothing else for Ninja. That's your huge nerf?
Its only a huge nerf if that is the only Ninja spell you use and rely on bro. The rest of us are quite okay with it as we aren't mashing it all day long.

About the only thing that everyone in this post has agreed on is that animal form needs to be nerfed.
Except for you of course lol. Please read the entire thread and tell me I am wrong.

If you rely on animal form to fight solo you really aren't fighting solo. You are simply running away in form. Everyone else understands that.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Spoony plays his mage by himself all the time, fyi.

CMON PUBLISH, GET A MOVE ON :whip:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Btw If I recall correctly your one thrower chains Disarm correct?

And FYI bro. You and your buddy Spoony are the ones who insisted one bringing ingame names into this thread

Last edited:

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

LOl! I do hope we get another update soon on what additional changes they have made or are going to make in more specific detail. I mean we know they are apparently fixing the hld overcapping issue and simplifying refinements but I would like more details. I am also hoping they finally balance resists, allow twohanded weapons with balanced to parry *maybe make it work like onehanded weapons though like people have suggested* Also would like to see the mage armor issue addressed either by allowing it to have the full benefits or probably the better choice would be reduced benefit. I am hoping they address the stamina issues people have been bringing up as well. Maybe adjust a few more weapon speeds/damages.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the lengthy replies dev team, glad to see you can take the time to add a little flavor to the conversation. How's it going Bonnie? It's been so long since you came to see us.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please take the personal stuff to pm. This thread is for discussing the proposed publish, not who's a pvp god or newb.
Thank you.
Thank You Petra. If you check out this thread you will notice that Cetric and Spoony started the childish name game

"Ok, i've gotta ask. Who are your chars on atlantic?"
"He plays a blue thrower 99% of the time named Preacher. He is also known as Captain Trips"

My bad for even paying attention to what either of them say while they inflate each others egos lol.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
About Stamina Leech, I investigated the relation of damage and stamina recovery.
The difference in the amount of recovery by the stamina maximum and diminishing returns can be checked.
It becomes difficult to make stamina recover completely at once.

View attachment 12896
I don't get what the developers are trying to accomplish here. I kind of wish I had blinders on right now to the publish 81 changes...or maybe stop reading about them everyday...

If the return on stamina leech will be made 30%-45% per succesful hit and per proc then what is the point of having a scaled percentage. May as well make Hit Stamina Leeh binary like mage armor or balanced. The scaled percentage leeched is in essance the same thing that we currently have witout changing it. For example having 25% leech on the weapon 25% of the successful hits leech stamina. Adding in this scaling compounds the problem of getting stamina. The maximum % is already scaled with weapon speed. This is a major game changer.

With maximum 50% HSL. 50% of successful hits leech something. Then scale it to 35% leeched ultimately you gain on average 50%*35% = or roughly 18% stamina on successful hits. Add in misses and this change is a game changer. The balance on all my templates and properties on every suit will be wrecked.

-Lorax

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't get what the developers are trying to accomplish here. I kind of wish I had blinders on right now to the publish 81 changes...or maybe stop reading about them everyday...

If the return on stamina leech will be made 30%-45% per succesful hit and per proc then what is the point of having a scaled percentage. May as well make Hit Stamina Leeh binary like mage armor or balanced. The scaled percentage leeched is in essance the same thing that we currently have witout changing it. For example having 25% leech on the weapon 25% of the successful hits leech stamina. Adding in this scaling compounds the problem of getting stamina. The maximum % is already scaled with weapon speed. This is a major game changer.

With maximum 50% HSL. 50% of successful hits leech something. Then scale it to 35% leeched ultimately you gain on average 50%*35% = or roughly 18% stamina on successful hits. Add in misses and this change is a game changer. The balance on all my templates and properties on every suit will be wrecked.

-Lorax
Yeah and they need to consider most people donlt have room in their suits to add extra things like stamina regen. I am all for them making it so that you can;t just stand there with stamina leech and NOTHING else and have no problem stamina wise..but this seems far too harsh of a nerf.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only issue I have with it, beside that I think it's stupid, is the lack of talk about the stamina leech. If they said this is what we want to change, why and the route we are taking then fine. Stuff it down but tell us that there is a reason and a direction. This change can only damage the viable PvM temps that are around with the exception of tamers or mystics.

Don't annoy people for, what seems, no reason. That is just a bad idea and can only lead to further reductions of the player base. The reason Sampires are so over used is because on a given day 85% of the servers only have 25 people on them at a time and this temp provides a solution to the problem of how do I kill this stuff without dying every five seconds.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only issue I have with it, beside that I think it's stupid, is the lack of talk about the stamina leech. If they said this is what we want to change, why and the route we are taking then fine. Stuff it down but tell us that there is a reason and a direction. This change can only damage the viable PvM temps that are around with the exception of tamers or mystics.

Don't annoy people for, what seems, no reason. That is just a bad idea and can only lead to further reductions of the player base. The reason Sampires are so over used is because on a given day 85% of the servers only have 25 people on them at a time and this temp provides a solution to the problem of how do I kill this stuff without dying every five seconds.
My point from day 1 of the first publish notes.

Where did a massive, across the board nerf to everything warrior swing speed related come from?

How in the world did the dev team tie that into 'armor diversity'

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reason Sampires are so over used is because on a given day 85% of the servers only have 25 people on them at a time and this temp provides a solution to the problem of how do I kill this stuff without dying every five seconds.

Thank you for wording that so well. I was feeling like there are no voices from the slower shards in this forum.

Be blessed in game and in real life,
Spell Breaker