• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Treasures of Orcish Kin

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
7/21/2020 Greetings, We are pleased to announce the soft launch of our dynamic treasures system with Treasures of Orcish Kin! Players on Origin & Izumo can battle creatures in the Orc Dungeon to obtain Artifacts of Orcish Kin! These artifacts can be exchanged for rewards from the Artifact Trader located outside the Orc Dungeon. You can visit Felucca or Trammel and artifacts can be exchanged with both traders. Creatures eligible to drop minor artifacts will be identified with a “Treasures of Orcish Kin” item property. Existing spawn will need to be killed before Treasures creatures will spawn. Check the Pub […]

Continue reading...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nice we do get some Treasures of.. Sweet!

But...

This current soft launch is limited to Origin & Izumo. Keep an eye on UO.com for future soft-launches on additional shards.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Expect White Pearls to jump in price as everyone starts making Orc Slayer Double Axes.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
What are the potential treasures available after you in trade items?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Expect White Pearls to jump in price as everyone starts making Orc Slayer Double Axes.
If the mobs have a slayer. They may be like the orange Beacon Orcs. I have my Orc slayer spell books and bows handy.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Items that drop in pack are Shard bound...

1595420551861.png

And so are the rewards
1595422598156.png

Last edited:

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry the lucky orc mask is really a reward. The other two rewards are a undead slayer spellbook with 20 SDI and a certificate for killing the orc horde.

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
As someone who missed out on the invasions (not a complaint; it's totally my fault), that undead slayer spellbook with 20 SDI would be useful. I would never use the lucky orc mask. I hope they add some decent items; it's hard to get excited for too long about events that don't yield useful gear - at least for me.

I do think shard-bound is a good trend, but maybe it's an ugly one that I just haven't thought through properly. I really hate the trend of everything getting moved to Atlantic. Early this year on Lake Superior, someone was going to transfer a 50 SDI spellbook to Atlantic along with all the rest of their stuff (before we knew invasions were coming back). They decided that if a buyer could come up with like 100 million gold or something like that, they would agree to sell it - thus keeping it "on the server". A bunch of us chipped in by donating to the buyer, and they were able to get the book. That made me happy.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Elessar I have bunch of invasion slayer books. Holler at me when you see me in chat.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Treasures of Orcish Kin?

Playable orcs are imminent. I can feel it.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
sorry the lucky orc mask is really a reward. The other two rewards are a undead slayer spellbook with 20 SDI and a certificate for killing the orc horde.
After doing the "treasures of" spawn for an hour or so I will say that there are some positives here. The spawn does regenerate pretty well (on Origin) but this is also Origin and not like ATL where I think the spawn rate might be an issue when there are 20+ people doing it (it could just be orc dungeon just isn't that big so maybe it won't be an issue for other places). The drop rate isn't bad... I'd say I probably got around 12-15 items in an hour or so of play (broken up in 2 30min stints).

That said, I do agree the "rewards" are just terrible. I thought maybe the "Certificate of Commendation" was a title (only 5 turn in points) but it's not; it's literally just a house lock down item (that you can't even shard xfer). I think I have an artifact level orc mask in a chest somewhere that has 140 luck and lots of resists which would trump this reward mask (aside for the title)...I'd like to at least see 150 luck on the items so that if we wanted to, we could imbue/enhance so it could possibly use them. The spellbook is only 20 SDI AND it's 30 turn in points... that combined with the invasion just ending (and Undead slayers being pretty common) makes this reward a head scratcher (especially it being shard bound). That said... this event is only set to last until the end of July (roughly 1 week) so it's possible the rewards this go-round reflect that.

All in all though I think there is potential here. My only concern would be if the "treasures of" events are not global (so maybe only a handful of shards get treasure of orcish kin while other shards might get treasures of the undead) and we have different rewards (based on EM discretion) on different servers (AND they are shard bound); this could potentially create a large disparity in rewards and in that case I do not think the items should be shard bound.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
what are you not understanding it a test for now not a real event
Well since it's on a live shard at this point you would think it would be a little less test (of rewards) and more so just testing how the spawning works. These look very similar to the rewards that were on TC1 where actual rewards don't matter. It's going to be hard to get people to test if the end doesn't justify the means (which is why not a ton of people go to TC1 to help test).

That said, valid point that this is only a week event so maybe the rewards for this event aren't great simply because they just want to test the dynamic tool. Rewards can easily be changed to something better for the next event so maybe that is the case.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Posted the questions on this event on the forums and Kyronix responded pretty quickly.

Based on the below, one thing I'm not the biggest fan of is the items will be shard bound BUT the events will not be on all shards which I think is a mistake because this will cause disparity between events on different shards (just my 2 cents). Good news is that the drops should improve as the events become "live".

My questions:
1595453670932.png
His response:
1595453619220.png

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the mobs have a slayer. They may be like the orange Beacon Orcs. I have my Orc slayer spell books and bows handy.
The Soulbound "Pumpkinhead" Orcs weren't vulnerable to Orc/Repond Slayer, because they completely changed graphic. They no longer had the Orc graphic at all, they had the human graphic with a Pumpkin helm.
Slayer is tied to graphic. Why when Irk transforms into me when i'm in Wraith Form, he becomes vulnerable to Undead Slayer. Can use Costumes like that too, for example if a Changeling transforms into you when you're in a Stygian Drake costume, they'll become vulnerable to Dragon/Reptile Slayer. It also denies them the base resists of the armor you're wearing.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
tested for about a hour this afternoon then put in another half an hour before supper.
its just like the Khaldun event and the Kotl event and the Sorc Dungeon.
you kill stuff, you hit a threshold, you get a drop.
you turn them in at the entrance for a reward.

seems to be working pretty good - as in as intended.
i like that people are freaking out because the drops are cruddy.
i guess they keep missing the point that its a soft launch test.

could you imagine this same event on ATL?!?!?!?!
700 people in level 3 of the Orc dungeon, the poor orcs would be dead before their graphic even registered on the screen!

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well good glad they are shard bound as it should be, wont fix the broken economy but its a start, the events themselves is a little dissapointing, was hoping for something new not old recycled content, its pretty much just like ToT or blackthorns, farm for minor artis and turn em it for greater ones.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope this also comes to Drachenfels ;). Would someone still be so nice and would support the whole time here with a few screenshots, what is going on there? What color exactly are these items of orcis skin and which graphics did they give the mask? Woman is just curious;):D

:postpics:

DanteSignas

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tested for about a hour this afternoon then put in another half an hour before supper.
its just like the Khaldun event and the Kotl event and the Sorc Dungeon.
you kill stuff, you hit a threshold, you get a drop.
you turn them in at the entrance for a reward.

seems to be working pretty good - as in as intended.
i like that people are freaking out because the drops are cruddy.
i guess they keep missing the point that its a soft launch test.

could you imagine this same event on ATL?!?!?!?!
700 people in level 3 of the Orc dungeon, the poor orcs would be dead before their graphic even registered on the screen!
700 people play this game? :D

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What color exactly are these items of orcis skin
It's nothing fancy; the items themselves are like a tan-ish brown hue (shield in pic is 'of orcish kin") and the reward is just the typical orc mask (it actually has the same resists as the green orc kin mask) that has the tanish-brown hue and says "Lucky Orc Mask".

1595518111707.png

@Poo has a point about the rewards as I felt they were subpar as well but forgot that this is quite literally just a test and the rewards (as per Kyronix) are just little something for people who helped test.

However; I don't agree with the Shard Bound thing IF these events are not on all shards because that means if my home shard doesn't have that event I'm pretty much SOL on getting any of those items (I am one of those people that have an armor set from each "treasure's of" event). Perfect example is even if the rewards are the same across all shards (which isn't a given either) but Origin gets an event with lime green "Armor of Slimy Blood" (or something like that) but Pac just gets the grey "Armor of Doom" again there will be many collectors that will feel shorted. It seems like since these "treasures of" events are on the DEVs so even though Kyronix said they won't always be global I feel like that just wouldn't make sense that different shards would have different global events for stuff like this; so it might not be an issue.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't even bother if you are a spellweaver since the boss was immune to WOD. Pets cannot move past other players fields, and are easily blocked out of the fight. This is a lopsided in favor of dexer event.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't even bother if you are a spellweaver since the boss was immune to WOD. Pets cannot move past other players fields, and are easily blocked out of the fight. This is a lopsided in favor of dexer event.

?? Are you talking about something else? The Orcish Kin stuff on Origin doesnt have a boss.

I think you might be referring to the GL Event/Champ Spawn today, which isnt what this is about.

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Damned.. Where is this dungeon (Here is just one come back player from UO break :D)

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As previously mentioned in this thread; easiest way to get there is find a public house with a corrupt portal (in Origin there is 1 directly East on the bank in the first house you see). Say "dungeon orc" or if you are feeling daring "fel dungeon orc". Teleports you directly there. You have about a day and a half left. Happy hunting.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
He thought it was starting and not over already
Thanks! :)

I wish it were so!!! And this time WITHOUT the... ehr... "vaguely unpopular" (I can't write MORONIC, otherwise the good Captain will Report me... ooops! :p) choice to have the Items Shard Bound...