• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] The Not-So-Ordinary World

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are pleased to announce that Part I of the Shattered Obelisk is now active on all shards. See the Shattered Obelisk page for more details, EM support events and the latest fiction!

Continue reading...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not on Europa it's not, our Town criers are still on about a Fel EM event....

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not on Europa it's not, our Town criers are still on about a Fel EM event....
If you're wanting to buy a newspaper, you have to buy it from a City Herald. I just did one of the beefed-up trade orders on Balhae, so it's active there, of all places.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol, i'm wanting to know how to start. I didn't do test or Origin so i was hoping the Town criers would sort of start things off?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Lol, i'm wanting to know how to start. I didn't do test or Origin so i was hoping the Town criers would sort of start things off?
Yes they are supposed to shout something about HEAR YE HEAR YE THE KING IS DOING SOMETHING BUY A TOWN CRYER FOR JUST 5 GOLD!

Then you go to the City Herald, Buy a paper...read it..And the fiction..and figure out what to do next :)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ohh, i really like the look of the news paper.....finally i can read something proper on the loo. :D

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think i must be missing something?
I bought the newspaper, went to the loo to read it and now i'm doing trade orders, but just getting normal stuff.
Is it just trial and error as i've done 10 so far?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think i must be missing something?
I bought the newspaper, went to the loo to read it and now i'm doing trade orders, but just getting normal stuff.
Is it just trial and error as i've done 10 so far?
You'll know when you get one....there's a humongous pile of crates and monsters that spawns and you get a message that your trade order was stolen!! LOL Looks something like this (this is from Test Center last week.)
capture 10.JPG

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got new mobs on 2 out 5 attacks so far. My guess it's random or bugged. I also got an Trapped Soul off one of the corpses from the 2 new mob ambushers.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you get the normal ambushes also though?
No, all the ambushes are now with the big pile of containers, flames, smoke, and what seems to be a new mix of monsters. Some of the monsters I've seen so far that are different from before the publish are flaming gargoyles, bone knights, hell hounds, liches, giant serpents, and mummies. I have not tried doing any by sea. Kind of leery of doing them because they lagged me so much previously that they weren't doing. Afraid the new ones will probably crash the client, with my luck.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it active on Atl yet? No NPC is selling papers to me and trade quest seem normal.
I believe the newspapers only come from City Heralds (got mine on Atlantic from the one in Britain). Have not tried a trade quest on Atlantic yet.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok so ignore the old ambushes like normal then?
Are you just getting the same old spawn and no big piles of boxes, with flames and smoke, and your trade container is not stolen from you by the ambushers and then returned after you kill them all?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok so ignore the old ambushes like normal then?
I've only had a chance to do two trade quests on Balhae so far and probably won't get to try again until later today. However, on those deliveries, all of the ambushes were the new type.

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went to the city herald on Atl at brit bank it just says open paperdoll or donate gold. Do i have have to start a quest somewhere or say something to him?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went to the city herald on Atl at brit bank it just says open paperdoll or donate gold. Do i have have to start a quest somewhere or say something to him?
There should be another line on his gump. It's weird that I bought a paper earlier on Sonoma from the City Herald in Britain but now when I try to buy one from him again using a character on a different account, the option to buy a newspaper is no longer there. Very odd.

Edited to add: Same situation on Origin and Balhae. Can't buy the papers even though I already bought one on those shards earlier today.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I just got 2 of the old Ambushes on Origin....so maybe both are happening?

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UGH!! I thought I was done with these, lol! I have a character that's venerated on every city from doing these to collect guild signs. I think I'll skip this episode since I've done 15 of them so far and no new rewards that I can see. One nice thing I've found is that your order doesn't get taken from you if you don't take damage so it's quite easy to leave those worthless ambushers by the side of the road twiddling their thumbs. ;)

I guess the point of this is to increase city treasuries since I think they're gonna need funds for the next phase?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just got 2 of the old Ambushes on Origin....so maybe both are happening?
I think they turned everything off, Larisa. Going to check on Balhae and see if it's old ambushers again there too.

Edited to add: Yeah, old ambushers on Balhae again. Wonder what's going on.

Last edited:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think they turned everything off, Larisa. Going to check on Balhae and see if it's old ambushers again there too.
Yep seems that way...just got another 2 normal ambushes.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
UGH!! I thought I was done with these, lol! I have a character that's venerated on every city from doing these to collect guild signs. I think I'll skip this episode since I've done 15 of them so far and no new rewards that I can see. One nice thing I've found is that your order doesn't get taken from you if you don't take damage so it's quite easy to leave those worthless ambushers by the side of the road twiddling their thumbs. ;)

I guess the point of this is to increase city treasuries since I think they're gonna need funds for the next phase?
The thing is.....with the NEW Ambushes...they steal your trade order and you HAVE to kill them to get it back...and there is some random items on the corpses sometimes that you need for the Arc Event....sorry to say that you'll HAVE to kill them :/

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still on on Europa, though what i've found is you need to be in a space with enough space around you for the new ambushers crate wagon to spawn when it does the "ambusher tick", if not enough space the the old ones spawn instead?
maybe just coincidence, more testing required but my god.....i hope it's not just this for a whole week?????

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Maybe they are taking care of this...

feedback on trade quests..

at times some of the ambushers are getting stuck on the top of the stuff that spawns with them and melee chars and non magic using pets can't reach them. This especially happens near water lines and through mountain passes. There has also been one time where the ambushers spawned at the water line and my char was stuck on one tile due to the pile of stuff the spawn on.

**edit**

Also, when you die on the trade quest.. all the stuff that was in the chest pops in your pack.. which when you are doing a 4 line x 20 item one without stackables.. errrrr that kinda blows lol. Anyway the ambushers can take the stuff with them? lol
tagged Kyronix in it on this thread... NEWS - [UO.Com] The Shattered Obelisk

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
How do you get a newspaper? I'm on Europa. The Brit herald isn't interested, they still spout on about Fel events....

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What new ambushers? I did 15 of them and only saw the standard orcs, ettins, and stuff? So it's just blind luck I didn't get my chest stolen? Do I have to let the chest get stolen before I can get the special items? Sorry for all the questions but had over a week of mare training taken from me so I'd rather rebuild him then do more trade quests. I can always drop gold onto the herald to support a city treasury if that's what the point of this phase is. ;)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you get a newspaper? I'm on Europa. The Brit herald isn't interested, they still spout on about Fel events....
Not the Town Criers, the Town Herelds that stand next to the town oblisks.
but don't bother as i just checked and yup, it's turned off on Europa now also. :(

swampjumper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The bloody thing not working all my account spells are gone the download screwed me over pos have tried it when trying to log off it is having fatals

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
hm on Drachfels it' s a bit strange to get this paper or I do still something wrong - how do you get the per from the city heralds?
None of them yells a message that beginns with HEAR YE HEAR YE..... ? :(:confused:

Yes they are supposed to shout something about HEAR YE HEAR YE THE KING IS DOING SOMETHING BUY A TOWN CRYER FOR JUST 5 GOLD!

Then you go to the City Herald, Buy a paper...read it..And the fiction..and figure out what to do next :)

swampjumper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bloody garbage when i log on the privacy agreement shows up they should have tested this garbage before putting it out i was on earlier had no problem i wont put out spells again if they dont fix it will be by by time for me

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
hm on Drachfels it' s a bit strange to get this paper or I do still something wrong - how do you get the per from the city heralds?
None of them yells a message that beginns with HEAR YE HEAR YE..... ? :(:confused:
Hey Mene!

It looks like it's been turned off....so we are awaiting word on what is going on lol

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey Larisa :)

na prima :D.....what a wonderful world this could be.... *sings* Oki lets go on waiting !

Last edited:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
WOOHOO good song!!

Yes...waiting.....and waiting.....I know Bleak is lurking around here somewhere..I can feel it ;)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix @Bleak Just to kill some time, I decided to investigate the island west of Skara Brae. Almost immediately after getting off my small ship, my character seemed to be frozen (on the server line running east-west through the top of the island?). Tried running east along the stone outcropping and was frozen again. Had to restart client both times to become unstuck. Then ran west to check out the westernmost point near the top of the island and got stuck again, this time apparently underground. Could not move in any direction, but was able to recall back to the ship. Just thought you might want to know there may be some terrain issues there in case this piece of real estate becomes important later on.

Here is where my character seemed to disappear in the grass and couldn't move in any direction. Could recall from this spot.
island west of skara brae.JPG

Here is one of the places where she was frozen and couldn't move in any direction. Could recall from this spot.
stuck spot.JPG

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah if you try to go anywhere on the right side of the rift you can't move, the terrain is very glitchy there.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It crashed all the shards I guess...new post up on uo.com

Publish 98 Hotfix

Posted on August 16, 2017 by UO Dev Team
Beginning with European shards this evening, 8/16/2017, and continuing with all shards tomorrow, 8/17/2017, we are in the process of deploying a server crash fix to all shards during regular maintenance times. Once the fix has been deployed to all shards, Part I of the Shattered Obelisk will be re-enabled.
We apologize for any inconvenience while we address this issue.
See you in Britannia,
UO Team

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should publish the hotfix now and not wait until tomorrow.

But then they should also realize that they don't know the definition of "hotfix" to begin with.:rolleyes2: