• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Return of Counselors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I should stay out of this but this really makes me uncomfortable.

We don't have many NEW players so why? I suppose if Broadsword is planning a huge marketing campaign for UO to get new players then okay, get the 'volunteers' ready to help them.

The word "volunteer" is an issue for me. Just another way for EA not to invest any more cash into a dying game is what I see when I see that word.

I hope these 'volunteers' work account can not own a house, since if I recall there were some posts here in the past where former counselors revealed they still owned their work accounts. This may explain why we have 2 line named houses still in the game.

I don't know what powers the old seers/counselors had but I sometimes suspect those who still own their old seer accounts are those who dupe/script with impunity.

Lastly when my 17 year old daughter still played, she would have this GM show up and just chat with her, without being called. I forget his name, but 'volunteer' players work accounts should have severely limited abilities. I don't want them in my houses or near me, thanks.

I sure hope they can't see our IP addresses or account names.
Originally Counselor's used their own accounts.. same as seers did.
Later on EA wanted control of these account workers and gave us all strickly Counselor/ seer/ troubodor etc ..accounts that only were for work use.
You couldnt place a house, or have any sort of pockets to hold things like EM's can. So no they cant dupe. It was just you ,your bare feet and a robe...
AS for the GM poping in....
There may have been a report of a unattended player macroing done on her by another player.
They are required to check this out as its against the rules of conduct and a banable offence.
He was doing his job in entering and engaging your daughter in conversation to confirm if she was indeed attending her character. I assume you do understand if he just stood outside there was no way he could not confirm or deny she was attending her work. Unless you wanted her banned absentia... that is. I have had one pop in my tower on Napa many times when a nozy person came by a few minutes before... I was sorting my junk and standing quite still with my screen covered from top to bottom in boxes open ... but I always keep my journal up and where i can see it at all times.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina
I for one do understand your point and yes I read and knew first hand what was pulled back then.... I took no part in it because I enjoyed my work for my fellow players. I saw what was going down and feared the outcome.
But your pushing it....
Give Broadsword credit for thinking in that direction at the very least...
I Praise Bonnie when she has done well and dont fear yipping at her heels if she messes up... What can she do ..kill me? big deal.. Beleave me she knows where I live.

You and I are not lawyers and unless someone here is giving free legal advice in this type of law ... You are barking up a tree without a visible squirrl in it.
Some would call that nutz...

First off the game is being handled by Broadsword... no money we pay goes directly into their hands...
Second EA is handling the cash flow from game and the Origin Store...
I am not sure but it might fudge the law a tad... but dont quote me as I am NOT A LAWYER...

If your that unhappy sit back and wait and see....

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anyone thinks Broadsword isn't taking into consideration how/why the counselor program failed when deciding to go forward with it again, then obviously you people aren't giving them any credit...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
All of this wailing, wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth wearies me... *lifts mug* Hail to you folks that have lived these lands and have prospered. Hail to ye that look forward to he unknown! A special shout to those that wish to step into new roles and explore what is possible.

*drinks*

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
All of this wailing, wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth wearies me... *lifts mug* Hail to you folks that have lived these lands and have prospered. Hail to ye that look forward to he unknown! A special shout to those that wish to step into new roles and explore what is possible.

*drinks*

*Tips a Glass of Good Old Moonglow Red*

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I should stay out of this but this really makes me uncomfortable.

We don't have many NEW players so why? I suppose if Broadsword is planning a huge marketing campaign for UO to get new players then okay, get the 'volunteers' ready to help them.

The word "volunteer" is an issue for me. Just another way for EA not to invest any more cash into a dying game is what I see when I see that word.
We are many who do not mind being a volunteer in the game we love. For me it was just a different way to play or maybe not that different at all, I use much of my time ingame to support the shard I love, with helping new and returning players get started.

I hope these 'volunteers' work account can not own a house, since if I recall there were some posts here in the past where former counselors revealed they still owned their work accounts. This may explain why we have 2 line named houses still in the game.
Yes we got an account to use for the counselor char. A char without backpack, only thing the char did own was a blue robe. I don't know if my old account still are active, I never logged in to it after the program was canseled and we only had char, the robe was gone. I long ago forgot the name of the account and the password.

I don't know what powers the old seers/counselors had but I sometimes suspect those who still own their old seer accounts are those who dupe/script with impunity.
I don't know about Seers but counselers did not have much power. We could teleport to the char, who was calling. We could teleport the calling char too but was not allowed that without having to make a report after with the reason. Could be the char was unable to move from where he was. we had a few fansy moves like falling like dead. And you could hide for all, hide for all others than the caller.

Lastly when my 17 year old daughter still played, she would have this GM show up and just chat with her, without being called. I forget his name, but 'volunteer' players work accounts should have severely limited abilities. I don't want them in my houses or near me, thanks.
We was not allowed to abuse that little power we had.

I sure hope they can't see our IP addresses or account names.
So far I remember, we could only see the char number, the one you now see in gen chat. We could use that to teleport to the char and as far I remember to send a message to the char.

We did not join it to get unfair advantage and I'm sure EA did keep eyes on us or log our chat and would kick the one who tryed to abuse it

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
LADY STORM
MEEES NO KNOWS WERE YOOS LIBES.
KIN YOOS PUT UP A LIBBLE BOX OUTSIDE YOOS WINDOW. SO MEEES KIN LOOKS IN?

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sick and tired of reading posts like this which disparage people, whether or not they are layers, for trying to provide helpful information. The potential organizational liability for Broadsword and possibly even personal liability for people like Mesanna if there is some kind of an FLSA violation is significant and nothing to be scoffed at.

But no, instead of people here having the maturity to admit that perhaps there could be a problem, what we see is people making posts that almost seem to imply that we all should just maybe look the other way and let laws be broken and careers ruined because some are afraid that even a breath of negativity might ruffle someone's feathers or, heaven forbid, keep some players from having an opportunity to receive some virtual goods or miss out on an opportunity to lord themselves over some other players.

All you people who act like I and other people who are pointing out that there could be problems are the villains really need to grow up and open your eyes to reality. The DOL and labor law experts put out a ton of information for laymen to read just to keep themselves out of trouble and to make sure that employees' rights are protected. You don't need a law degree or to have passed a bar exam to go read that information and yes, to pass it along to someone else, especially if you think it might help keep them from getting themselves into real trouble.

Shame on you people who think it's more important to "protect" Mesanna from reading anything negative, for whatever reasons you might have. Wake up! All you're doing in the long run is being a false friend. She's an adult and you do her no favors by showering her with false praise and screeching at people who, although they may never be effusive in their praise, still don't like to see ANYONE make a major blunder like this one could be.

Edited to add: And if you still don't get what the hullabaloo is about because you're too lazy to go read one of the articles I linked to, I'll give you the gist of the problem right here. Under federal law in the United States and under the law of many states in the United States, you cannot "volunteer" to work for free for a for-profit company. It does not matter if you want to do it willingly and say you'll sign away your right to compensation. The law flat out doesn't allow it. There is likely no way that Broadsword Online Games would EVER qualify to call itself a nonprofit organization, so it's simply ridiculous to think that people "volunteering" their time to do an employee's job for Broadsword is going to fly. Read the articles if you haven't yet. And stop and think. Do you really, really want Broadsword to try to do this and get nailed for it when it doesn't work? Do you really want Mesanna to have to pay out of her own pocket if this is attempted? All so you can wear a little blue robe on your computer screen? Seriously? This is that important to you?

Read the articles. You don't need a law degree to understand them.

Really!?!

Do you think Broadsword just going to open up a counselor program and and not look at the legal side of it?

I don't need to type a page to even argue this.

I am the owner of 2 companies. One is domestic ( USA) only the other is domestic and international. I know what I can do and can't do. If I am not sure then that is why I have a firm that helps me when I approach areas of the law that I do not know when it comes to countries,state,city,region, and county laws. This also includes religion when it comes to certain countries. I deal with Domestic and International laws that I am held to.

Trust me when I say this. I am no fan of Mesanna. You definitely have me confused with somebody else.

So lets get something straight. I am not lazy and read the links. You all are arguing and discussing about "what if's" when you don't even know what the terms that Broadsword is offering with this volunteer program.

Did you ever think that maybe these positions are classified as an internship position which works around labor laws? They can be unpaid,paid, or partially paid.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I should add that this is my last reply to this topic. It's a shame that some possible good positive news for UO no matter the situation has to become a debate and argument.

I can be wrong and I openly admit I can be wrong when I am. This "I am right no matter what I have to do attitude" is pointless especially on a gaming forum. It's not like we are fighting for our lives in a capital murder case here. It's a bloody game.

Lets just take the positive announcement as a small step in a right direction and go from there.

Didn't know that some of the internet lawyers on this forum would take things..... so....personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.