• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 95 Hotfixes

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After I read this, I went away and checked for myself. Maybe not for bod filling, but for writing gates to charge teleporters or level 7s and 8s to fill spell books.
I could see that but NOT for filling BODs

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's not just cooking BODs, unfortunately, it's all of em :(
Cooking has the most offenders, but I've noticed other BODs that should be able to go exceptional but won't. I'm just annoyed by cooking at the moment as it has the most rewards that I want :p

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, if you will collect with an unqualified character. You'll need to use taste id on the yellow potions till your character knows what they are. Then you'll be able to use them
It was my characters bod, why would he be considered unqualified ? And I purchased it with the same character. You're telling me an NPC can sell me an advertised item fully identified, but there's further steps that need to be performed to actually know what he just bought ? That's ridiculous.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was my characters bod, why would he be considered unqualified ? And I purchased it with the same character. You're telling me an NPC can sell me an advertised item fully identified, but there's further steps that need to be performed to actually know what he just bought ? That's ridiculous.
used to be you could put them in a keg, take one out, put it back in, and you would 'own'the keg then. And the proper name would show from then on

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe it is, but if you tried to put your 'yellow potion' into a keg of the same type of potion, it wouldn't let you. It would tell you that you didn't know what it was. JoaT taste id is enough to solve the problem, you don't have to have the skill.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Kind of like the tavern NPCs who sell jugs, where empty jugs and water-filled jugs are both "jug of water"s, and the price is the only way to tell which is really the empty one. :p

That said, at least 6 of the tinker items I've bought and tried to use to fill BODs weren't accepted by the BOD. I reported it to uo.com, but haven't seen those fixed yet.

In terms of pricy ingredients, however, the best BOD I've heard of so far, hands down, has to be the one wanting 15 exceptional quality academic bookcases. :p

My two cents on all the BOD changes:

• Generally good, though they needed more testing to catch all these problems.
  • The items that require "special" ingreds need to have a major point bump added.
  • In terms of banking points, I get the reason to have a lower amount bank, but the % that can be banked is simply insulting as it is now; 25 or 50% of the value, sure, but it's way too low at the moment.
  • You also have to know how many points what you want is worth, because you have to decide "bank or not" without being able at that moment to view the rewards list. It'd be better if the first option in the rewards list were a "bank these points" option, and you were always able to see the rewards list.
  • Inscription BODs need to be added to mage NPCs
  • For that matter, tailoring BODs should be added to cobber NPCs.
  • Inscription BODs need some deco items. Crafter talis and spellbook dyes are going to get old very very quickly, and there's no other reward options. (Perhaps you could even add academic books as a high-value reward option. The bookcases run in the 5 to 8m range; an 800 point academic books reward shouldn't hurt values. But new deco as well is needed.)

Last two things that just really annoy me at the moment about BODs:

First, I've read that on test, there was an option to set yourself "never bank", "ask", or "always bank". I can't find any way to set that at the moment, and that extra gump is already annoying me. :p The best option, imho, would be a way to set "bank if below value X, ask for reward above that". So if I only want items worth at least 425 points, if the bod is a 200 point, it banks. If it's a 550 point BOD, it asks.

Second, swapping for new BODs is still tedious. Don't make me do the extra steps... when I turn in a BOD, just go ahead and give me a new one.

My dream "turn in" system would be: I hand a BOD book to the vendor. The vendor takes all filled BODs that match his profession, checks what my "point cutoff #" is, banks all points below that #, then asks me about the rewards for those BODs with values above that #, and finally, hands me back a bag containing all those rewards, plus the BOD book, with all the filled BODs taken out and replaced with new ones. That shouldn't be hard to code, but as it is, that's what we're all doing manually, except doing it manually takes way too long, and involves literally hundreds of clicks on redundant gumps. (and that path only leads to BOD and game burnout)

Brian

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe it is, but if you tried to put your 'yellow potion' into a keg of the same type of potion, it wouldn't let you. It would tell you that you didn't know what it was. JoaT taste id is enough to solve the problem, you don't have to have the skill.
Joat alchemy should be enough to know the lowest form of healing potion too.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kind of like the tavern NPCs who sell jugs, where empty jugs and water-filled jugs are both "jug of water"s, and the price is the only way to tell which is really the empty one. :p

That said, at least 6 of the tinker items I've bought and tried to use to fill BODs weren't accepted by the BOD. I reported it to uo.com, but haven't seen those fixed yet.

In terms of pricy ingredients, however, the best BOD I've heard of so far, hands down, has to be the one wanting 15 exceptional quality academic bookcases. :p

My two cents on all the BOD changes:

• Generally good, though they needed more testing to catch all these problems.
  • The items that require "special" ingreds need to have a major point bump added.
  • In terms of banking points, I get the reason to have a lower amount bank, but the % that can be banked is simply insulting as it is now; 25 or 50% of the value, sure, but it's way too low at the moment.
  • You also have to know how many points what you want is worth, because you have to decide "bank or not" without being able at that moment to view the rewards list. It'd be better if the first option in the rewards list were a "bank these points" option, and you were always able to see the rewards list.
  • Inscription BODs need to be added to mage NPCs
  • For that matter, tailoring BODs should be added to cobber NPCs.
  • Inscription BODs need some deco items. Crafter talis and spellbook dyes are going to get old very very quickly, and there's no other reward options. (Perhaps you could even add academic books as a high-value reward option. The bookcases run in the 5 to 8m range; an 800 point academic books reward shouldn't hurt values. But new deco as well is needed.)

Last two things that just really annoy me at the moment about BODs:

First, I've read that on test, there was an option to set yourself "never bank", "ask", or "always bank". I can't find any way to set that at the moment, and that extra gump is already annoying me. :p The best option, imho, would be a way to set "bank if below value X, ask for reward above that". So if I only want items worth at least 425 points, if the bod is a 200 point, it banks. If it's a 550 point BOD, it asks.

Second, swapping for new BODs is still tedious. Don't make me do the extra steps... when I turn in a BOD, just go ahead and give me a new one.

My dream "turn in" system would be: I hand a BOD book to the vendor. The vendor takes all filled BODs that match his profession, checks what my "point cutoff #" is, banks all points below that #, then asks me about the rewards for those BODs with values above that #, and finally, hands me back a bag containing all those rewards, plus the BOD book, with all the filled BODs taken out and replaced with new ones. That shouldn't be hard to code, but as it is, that's what we're all doing manually, except doing it manually takes way too long, and involves literally hundreds of clicks on redundant gumps. (and that path only leads to BOD and game burnout)

Brian
1. The academic book cases are now removed, so you won't be seeing that one again.
2. You can see the costs of the rewards by following the links on this page: Bulk Orders – Ultima Online
3. Also on that page, read the information about the 'banking points' option

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know it's not what you want me to say, but Alchemy has always worked like this, it's not new to the bod system.
Yes, we could argue game mechanics all day on this. With .02 alchy I eventually crafted a lesser healing potion, I will remain firm that an npc bought lesser should not be a mystery to me. It's another example of lazy coding.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First, I've read that on test, there was an option to set yourself "never bank", "ask", or "always bank". I can't find any way to set that at the moment, and that extra gump is already annoying me.
If you open the bod menu, the option is there. Once you change it, it will stay that way on all your bods until changed again.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Probably not a problem for everyone with great eyes, but I wish the menus would all go back to the old style. That clear see-thru stuff with the light gray writing gets lost in all the colors and shades behind it, bugs the hell out of me to have to strain to see what I'm doing. Wish they would fix it back to a solid gray color, like it used to be...like the veteran reward gumps and such still are

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I first thought that they had rushed the bod publish out from test, but actually it's good that they did. Yeah there are still some bugs and yes it needs tweaking but keeping it on TC1 longer wouldn't really matter since how many of us were really going to fully test it. One tweak that I would like to see is if you turn in a bod and select a reward that is lower than the points that were on the bod that you turned in, the remaining points (or %) should be banked. They also need to look at the scribe ones, because there are WAY too many small ones being given out to GM scribes, 64 mage spell scrolls, 17 Necro, spell & rune books and some misc ones. It's just WAY to many. Then number of bods in the old system was one of the reasons I didn't spend much time doing them.

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
2. You can see the costs of the rewards by following the links on this page: Bulk Orders – Ultima Online
3. Also on that page, read the information about the 'banking points' option
I think you missed my point. That doesn't have anything to do with not knowing how banking points works. The list of what you can claim, for how many points, can be seen by using the menu to see the rewards list, and can also be seen when you are selecting which reward to claim... but it CANNOT be seen at the time you are actually deciding - the costs should be displayed in game at the time you are asked to decide whether you want to bank or claim them. My suggestion was to add a menu option to the top of the rewards list, allowing you to select to bank points there, and also eliminating the need for that "do you want to bank these points" gump.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I first thought that they had rushed the bod publish out from test, but actually it's good that they did. Yeah there are still some bugs and yes it needs tweaking buy keeping it on TC1 longer wouldn't really matter since how many of us were really going to fully test it. One tweak that I would like to see is if you turn in a bod and select a reward that is lower than the points were on the bod that you turned in, the remaining points (or %) should be banked. They also need to look at the scribe ones, because there are WAY too many small ones being given out to GM scribes, 64 mage spell scrolls, 17 Necro, spell & rune books and some misc ones. It's just WAY to many. Then number of bods in the old system was one of the reasons I didn't spend much time doing them.
Personally, I think adding runebooks and atlases to the BOD system is just begging for trouble. How long until someone has their char's entire runebook collection accidentally chewed up to fill a BOD?

Instead, how about adding p-scroll, SOT, and SOA books to scribes, and giving those BODs instead? Multiple birds, single rock. :)

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I think adding runebooks and atlases to the BOD system is just begging for trouble. How long until someone has their char's entire runebook collection accidentally chewed up to fill a BOD?

Instead, how about adding p-scroll, SOT, and SOA books to scribes, and giving those BODs instead? Multiple birds, single rock. :)

Too late, it's already happened; use a pack inside your main pack to craft in, then it's only the stuff you're making for the BOD that gets hoovered up.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think you missed my point. That doesn't have anything to do with not knowing how banking points works. The list of what you can claim, for how many points, can be seen by using the menu to see the rewards list, and can also be seen when you are selecting which reward to claim... but it CANNOT be seen at the time you are actually deciding - the costs should be displayed in game at the time you are asked to decide whether you want to bank or claim them. My suggestion was to add a menu option to the top of the rewards list, allowing you to select to bank points there, and also eliminating the need for that "do you want to bank these points" gump.
Do you see where it says "Banking Points Enabled"? Try clicking it. As for the rewards/points it is not that hard to read a little and decide what you want and the BOD needed to get that reward or how many points you may need to save to get that reward. It is not that hard. Befor this new system all BOD Fillers knew what every BOD gave we didn't need a special menu showing up on screen to tell us that. And this info was on the page @Petra Fyde told you to go read.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra Fyde said:
I first thought that they had rushed the bod publish out from test, but actually it's good that they did. Yeah there are still some bugs and yes it needs tweaking buy keeping it on TC1 longer wouldn't really matter since how many of us were really going to fully test it. One tweak that I would like to see is if you turn in a bod and select a reward that is lower than the points were on the bod that you turned in, the remaining points (or %) should be banked. They also need to look at the scribe ones, because there are WAY too many small ones being given out to GM scribes, 64 mage spell scrolls, 17 Necro, spell & rune books and some misc ones. It's just WAY to many. Then number of bods in the old system was one of the reasons I didn't spend much time doing them.

How did that end up being my quote? I didn't say that!

Also the part of the page I meant you to read was about the 'banking points option' which explains about choosing 'enabled', 'disabled' or 'automatically'.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
How did that end up being my quote? I didn't say that!

Also the part of the page I meant you to read was about the 'banking points option' which explains about choosing 'enabled', 'disabled' or 'automatically'.
Not sure; that should have been @Zeke I think. :)

I did find the way to set that switch, thanks. :) Kind of a strange place for it, but lol, I can't think of anywhere else that wouldn't seem just as strange.

@Lord Frodo, no argument that previously we didn't have the reward for a given BOD visible. But now that info is exposed, it's just not exposed at the time where the user is being asked to make an irreversible decision about how to "spend" a BOD. I'm suggesting a way that it could be exposed at that point in the process, while at the same time making that decision less irreversible and eliminating a gump and click from the process.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure; that should have been @Zeke I think. :)

I did find the way to set that switch, thanks. :) Kind of a strange place for it, but lol, I can't think of anywhere else that wouldn't seem just as strange.

@Lord Frodo, no argument that previously we didn't have the reward for a given BOD visible. But now that info is exposed, it's just not exposed at the time where the user is being asked to make an irreversible decision about how to "spend" a BOD. I'm suggesting a way that it could be exposed at that point in the process, while at the same time making that decision less irreversible and eliminating a gump and click from the process.
How much work do you think UO needs to do for the player, seriously. There is so much info already out there that it is so easy to know what BODs are worth and what Rewards cost. What is next I want a menu that turns in all the BODs in a bag and auto collects a new BOD for me everytime. For the PvMer I want a menu that tells me how to do a spawn. For the PvPers I want a menu that tells me how to PvP. There comes a time that a game can do to much for a player. This new BOD System is %200 better than the old system, esp the fill BOD container option, Auto Bank, Never Bank options. People need to research a little and understand about skills and what you can and can not do with them. We already have Scripters that do just a little over what you are asking with BODs, what is next Auto Mode and just let UO play itself. I play games to use my brain not let the game play itself.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
How much work do you think UO needs to do for the player, seriously. There is so much info already out there that it is so easy to know what BODs are worth and what Rewards cost. What is next I want a menu that turns in all the BODs in a bag and auto collects a new BOD for me everytime. For the PvMer I want a menu that tells me how to do a spawn. For the PvPers I want a menu that tells me how to PvP. There comes a time that a game can do to much for a player. This new BOD System is %200 better than the old system, esp the fill BOD container option, Auto Bank, Never Bank options. People need to research a little and understand about skills and what you can and can not do with them. We already have Scripters that do just a little over what you are asking with BODs, what is next Auto Mode and just let UO play itself. I play games to use my brain not let the game play itself.
That's not what I'm suggesting, and I think you know it.

bod.png

The left is what is given when you turn in a BOD. You cannot cancel the gump, and you cannot open the rewards list while being asked to make this choice.

The right is the rewards list you can get when NOT turning in a BOD, via the context menu. You also get that display if you select 'Yes" on the left. I'd note, if you do select "Yes" and get to that list, then close the selection gump, it closes, and you lose the points and the BOD - zero reward.

"You can claim 350 points" is meaningless in the context of the gump on the left. I'm suggesting that "Bank 7.0000 points" should just be the top/default option in the displayed rewards list, and you eliminate the gump on the left entirely. That isn't "easy mode". That's basic good GUI development.

Attachments

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can always double click the bod before turning it in, keep the gump open and click Claim Rewards on the npc to see what you can get for that particular bod. Then just drop the bod on him and decide to bank it or buy or you could even set it to auto bank or auto not bank while you have it open before you drop it on him.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
You can always double click the bod before turning it in, keep the gump open and click Claim Rewards on the npc to see what you can get for that particular bod. Then just drop the bod on him and decide to bank it or buy or you could even set it to auto bank or auto not bank while you have it open before you drop it on him.
Right, but that's a workaround, not proper GUI design. :p

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But that would be to much work.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You could go here Blacksmith Bulk Orders – Ultima Online and when Stratics gets all there stuff in one place like UO.COM has, sorry Stratics if you already have it as I do not have links to them YET, and do a little homework before you do a BOD run. I have my Smith BODs sorted accorning to rewards and now with the new system I will add a Bank Points Title to one of them. 10-15n iron BODs will be used to get 250 use hammers and all the other Iron, non bribable ones, will be AUTO BANK POINTS. With a little effort I know which book does what, I do not need a menu to tell me and your way just adds another clickie to deal with, no ty.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

View attachment 57313

The left is what is given when you turn in a BOD. You cannot cancel the gump, and you cannot open the rewards list while being asked to make this choice.

The right is the rewards list you can get when NOT turning in a BOD, via the context menu. You also get that display if you select 'Yes" on the left. I'd note, if you do select "Yes" and get to that list, then close the selection gump, it closes, and you lose the points and the BOD - zero reward.

"You can claim 350 points" is meaningless in the context of the gump on the left. I'm suggesting that "Bank 7.0000 points" should just be the top/default option in the displayed rewards list, and you eliminate the gump on the left entirely. That isn't "easy mode". That's basic good GUI development.
You can get rid of that menu by using the Bank Points Automatically or the Banking Points Disabled, FIXED.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

View attachment 57313

You could try what I did on test center. BEFORE you turn in the bod use the option on the vendor's menu 'claim reward'. You'll get a totally greyed out list, but it will have all the costs on. You know how much your bod is worth, scroll through and see what you can get with it, THEN decide whether to claim or bank and hand in the bod. Would that work for you?

Last edited:

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could try what I did on test center. BEFORE you turn in the bod use the option on the vendor's menu 'claim reward'. You'll get a totally greyed out list, but it will have all the costs on. You know how much your bod is worth, scroll through and see what you can get with it, THEN decide whether to claim or bank. Would that work for you?

I do this too, and keep the gump open when turning in BODs

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
You could try what I did on test center. BEFORE you turn in the bod use the option on the vendor's menu 'claim reward'. You'll get a totally greyed out list, but it will have all the costs on. You know how much your bod is worth, scroll through and see what you can get with it, THEN decide whether to claim or bank and hand in the bod. Would that work for you?
Again, that's a workaround. What I'm saying is, the list of rewards/points should be visible at the time you are asked to decide if you want to spend or bank the points - without using workarounds.

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Anyway.... Has anybody managed to make exceptional green tea? I've tried over 500 attempts so far with +55% exceptional talisman/apron and so far zilch.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yea, but what if you don't have JoaT?

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyway.... Has anybody managed to make exceptional green tea? I've tried over 500 attempts so far with +55% exceptional talisman/apron and so far zilch.

Yes. But it caused the air to spontaneously turn blue and my husband to glare at me because my children, apparently, don't need to learn those phrases ...

You're using the green tea option in preparations, rather than beverages, right ...?

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yes. But it caused the air to spontaneously turn blue and my husband to glare at me because my children, apparently, don't need to learn those phrases ...

You're using the green tea option in preparations, rather than beverages, right ...?
Ha! No I'm not, thanks for the info, hopefully the air won't be blue here too as I reattempt to fill these half dozen BODS :)

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent!

I had to do it before I got my apron - it was not pretty, not pretty at all.

We won't talk about the exceptional sushi rolls ...

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
With the 55% ex bonus I'm failing about 1 in every 20-25 attempts now which is going to save on a lot of resources. Apron and stacking with the talisman gets a massive thumbs up from me - nice work @Kyronix :thumbup:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With the 55% ex bonus I'm failing about 1 in every 20-25 attempts now which is going to save on a lot of resources. Apron and stacking with the talisman gets a massive thumbs up from me - nice work @Kyronix :thumbup:
Maybe they will come up with an apron for all the other skills that stack with a tally. HINT HINT HINT

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I just got my apron yesterday, but I can see me trying again as it's only 16%, giving me a forty odd ex bonus. Nice, but I think more would be good!

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I've seen them as high as +29%, add that to the +30 talisman's that are out there and that's a hell of a boost. Be careful though because there's a big difference in the aprons - I just heard from a fellow BOD collector tonight that they had a 29 apron then a 16 after with another of the same LBOD. So I think once you've got a high one maybe stick to the dyes and trees after, unless the RNG is kind to you most of the time :)

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah. I'll try once more then, and only once, cos the RNG hates my guts!

My tali isn't far off 30, and I only have that cos Petra is very, very nice to me :)

The next big things I want are the tree & the barrel. Then I'll try for the apron again. I've actually been quite lucky with the alch BODs so far, but that's the exception rather than the rule for me.