• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 94 Update to TC1

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Repairing tinker pets no longer has a cooldown.
My mule just fell to his knee's weeping with joy!
while i dont use Golems anymore for that exact reason and have moved on to bonded Vollums for all my mules i must say its nice that wrong has been righted.

would have been nice to see this taken to the next level...... Tinkers with GM could bond mechanical critters and train them and feed them bronze.

maybe next time.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My mule just fell to his knee's weeping with joy!
while i dont use Golems anymore for that exact reason and have moved on to bonded Vollums for all my mules i must say its nice that wrong has been righted.

would have been nice to see this taken to the next level...... Tinkers with GM could bond mechanical critters and train them and feed them bronze.

maybe next time.
Still more to come to TC ;)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the idea is that all of the resource "chances" in a node will now all be stone chances, so the odds that you end up with more stone, compared to mining ore & stone, before the node dries up are better.
Based on the Dev comments, it takes exactly the same number of digs under the new rules as it did before... you just get nothing in between. I suppose that means you can did the same 8x8 tiles longer, but really doesn't make two ****s worth of difference if you need 4000+ granite. I don't see ANY reason granite needs to be any more uncommon than ingots.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While working a champ spawn earlier I thought 'if there's less spawn, can a solo player still kill spawn fast enough to achieve progress?'
The answer is 'yes', but much more slowly and, using an archer, with higher consumption of arrows. I didn't time it definitively, I'm no expert champer. Maybe someone who is would care to investigate further? I was working Oasis spawn which had Baracoon up, but the test center server went down.

Slappyjipper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Just had a quick go at despise champ on TC and the spawn rate is considerably lower (maybe half the normal amount?)... and yeah it seems much slower to complete :/ I only stuck around for the first wave because I got bored and left. Was anybody actually even having performance issues at champ spawns anyway? I can't say I have ever had any sort of lag at a champ spawn. Is this change even necessary?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Siege need Fel bonus!!!!!
We need the dbl resource bonus as well as the Luck. Devs, is it not possible to actually show the Felucca luck bonus in the status ? I would have way more faith and confidence in this system if that were added. @Kyronix @Bleak ? Simply telling us its there isn't enough, it should have always been a visible bonus, also, those of us on Siege know that we don't get either a luck or a resource bonus, can one of you at least tell us that's by design ?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Based on the Dev comments, it takes exactly the same number of digs under the new rules as it did before... you just get nothing in between. I suppose that means you can did the same 8x8 tiles longer, but really doesn't make two ****s worth of difference if you need 4000+ granite. I don't see ANY reason granite needs to be any more uncommon than ingots.
Well people are saying they have been getting double the amount of granite per number of digs, so...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well people are saying they have been getting double the amount of granite per number of digs, so...
Haven't seen that posted in this thread or in the publish notes.

@Larisa posted some stats:
50 mines set to ore and stone yielded 21 granite = .42 stone per dig
96 mines set to stone only yielded 41 granite = .427 stone per dig

So .007 more stone per dig? Barely enough to count and certainly within the scope of just RNG.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Upon further testing I have to concur that the chance of getting stone while your tool is set to mine stone only needs to be raised significantly.

4 50 - Use Shovels set to mine Ore and Stone

Area 1 - 22 Ore / 0 Granite
Area 2 - 18 Ore / 10 Granite
Area 3 - 13 Ore / 9 Granite
Area 4 - 21 Ore / 0 Granite
Area 5 - 18 Ore / 6 Granite
Area 6 - 27 Ore / 0 Granite
Area 7 - 27 Ore / 0 Granite
Area 8 - 9 Ore / 7 Granite
Area 9 - 18 Ore / 12 Granite
Area 10 - 22 Ore / 3 Granite
Area 11 - 41 Ore / 9 Granite
Area 12 - 23 Ore / 0 Granite
Area 13 - 18 Ore / 3 Granite
Area 14 - 13 Ore / 3 Granite
Area 15 - 13 Ore / 9 Granite
Area 16 - 12 Ore / 3 Granite

Total - 69 Granite in approx. 10 Minutes plus all the ore I mined.

Tool set to mine only stone I justed mined out one area

Out of 114 Digs I netted 40 Granite. At 3 granite per dig (When successful ) I can't do math so I don't know how %'s work out but it's NOT good.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just had a quick go at despise champ on TC and the spawn rate is considerably lower (maybe half the normal amount?)... and yeah it seems much slower to complete :/ I only stuck around for the first wave because I got bored and left. Was anybody actually even having performance issues at champ spawns anyway? I can't say I have ever had any sort of lag at a champ spawn. Is this change even necessary?
I suspect this change was introduced to try to decrease the ghost spawn problem on the EC.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suspect this change was introduced to try to decrease the ghost spawn problem on the EC.
I wouldn't think so. The ghost spawn can show up anywhere, not just champs. I've had them in the myrmidex pits, in the void pool and on Friday I had one in the shadowguard bar. Amusingly the same ghost pirate showed up in my instance of the fountain. It must have been created in the same space. They seem to somehow be related to things you've attacked but which die while you are off screen from them. I set my EV on that one, but had moved a few tiles away to provo the other pair when it was at very low health.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I wouldn't think so. The ghost spawn can show up anywhere, not just champs. I've had them in the myrmidex pits, in the void pool and on Friday I had one in the shadowguard bar. Amusingly the same ghost pirate showed up in my instance of the fountain. It must have been created in the same space. They seem to somehow be related to things you've attacked but which die while you are off screen from them. I set my EV on that one, but had moved a few tiles away to provo the other pair when it was at very low health.
The ghost spawn seem to happen on areas with a high amount of spawn, like the ones you mentioned.
But if it is meant to fix the ghost spawn problem in champ spawns, I don't think it will fix the problem at all, since you get ghost spawn to happen at level 2 as well.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The ghost spawn seem to happen on areas with a high amount of spawn, like the ones you mentioned.
But if it is meant to fix the ghost spawn problem in champ spawns, I don't think it will fix the problem at all, since you get ghost spawn to happen at level 2 as well.
Plus it just drags the time frame out considerably. I find it ironic that the places where spawn overruns people (the Queen's nest, for instance) is working as intended, but places where no one is raising hell about spawn gets the spawn decreased...I rate this bug fix right up there with the change of runebook artwork and randomized ore and wood. WTG guys

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol. I've been asking for a Golem Repair overhaul for YEARS. Although, the DEX requirement on healing faster is kind of wierd, since that hasn't applied to Vet in over a decade.
"Bondable" Useful Golems?
Golems, Mesanna?
Yeah that's odd. Does dex apply to vet again (please no), are they mistaken on it applying to tinkering, or does it only apply to tinkering?

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Siege need Fel bonus!!!!!
I agree and ALL of Siege needs it not just "Fel" on Siege...

You know what I've NEVER understood about Siege.... On all the other normal shards doing T-Maps in Fel gives you a chance a pinks and other stuff..... well it's Fel everywhere on Siege so why don't I get that bonus EVERYWHERE?!?!? I should.

Mining/Lumberjacking..... again it's all Fel so anywhere I go I ought to get more...

Risk vs Reward right? So I'm on Siege how much more risk does one need???

Siege should have ALL the benefits of Fel as it has all the risks of Fel.

Might get more people interested in doing things on Siege.

Not that I'm a Siege promoter or anything but it is one of the things I found quite "irksome" while I was checking Siege out.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
At least something we can agree about MalagAste :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will never play Siege, but why the heck doesn't it have Fel bonus everywhere, given that everywhere is Fel?
Makes no sense to me.
The theory was to make it as much like pre tram and bit more difficult with the higher prices and no shop selling. But all of the imbalances added overtime made that segment of Siege simply untenable for most.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With apples and the new timer- mortal will be a joke. The timer should be like 3 seconds after mortal is off, it can't be re-applied. Weather it wears off on its own or from an apple. People spamming cleansing winds now will be fun to fight.

And can we get someone who has tested the necromancy out? Is there an equation to see how much Necro/SS lowers the resists?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Seige is supposed to be a more difficult shard, and therefore, shouldn't get extra's like the Fel bonuses. I haven't played Siege in years, so I don't have much riding on that... but if you insist on doing a shard with that ruleset, then I think you need to take what comes with it.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Seige is supposed to be a more difficult shard, and therefore, shouldn't get extra's like the Fel bonuses. I haven't played Siege in years, so I don't have much riding on that... but if you insist on doing a shard with that ruleset, then I think you need to take what comes with it.
We are speaking about Siege, not Seige :p

It is harder as you can lose everything when you die, that mean you may get home with less. There is no reason Siege should not have Fel bonus. Fel bonus came after Siege was born, and some decided, it was time to let Siege die so lets make it so hard, so noone want to play there. For many years, I have the feeling Devs only wanted us to die. BS had at least tryed to help us, but we need more help to bring the shard back to life.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There is no reason Siege should not have Fel bonus.
Again - my understanding is that this is supposed to be a shard with all-around higher difficulty. That is the reason it should not have a bonus. If they give Siege the Fel bonus for resources, it wouldn't bother me.

For many years, I have the feeling Devs only wanted us to die. BS had at least tryed to help us, but we need more help to bring the shard back to life.
I certainly understand your effort of wanting to bring your home shard back to life and give you tons of credit for always promoting Siege with passion. But it's going to take more than a resource bonus to be shard back to life, although I suppose ever little bit helps.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think people who don't play there shouldn't voice their opinions.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whoa whoa whoa, you guys dropped the spawn rate at champ Spawns?

Are you trying to make these an endless grind?

How about we go ahead and not do this?

Okay, thanks.
No. The spawn rate has not changed.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Care to comment on why the Siege M&G was skipped, again, or is that below you too like the other comments you ignored ? I"m only asking here because you've again appeared out of nowhere to selectively respond.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spend a full year on Siege and get back with us.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Care to comment on why the Siege M&G was skipped, again, or is that below you too like the other comments you ignored ? I"m only asking here because you've again appeared out of nowhere to selectively respond.
Come on Garth you expect to be treated like a paying customer?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It looks like it was a scheduling error on our part and apologize. Stay tuned to UO.com for an updated time in the near future.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think people who don't play there shouldn't voice their opinions.
I used to play Siege, but didn't like it and left, so my opinion is as valid as any, especially when considering all the people that whine about wanting UO to return to the pre-Trammel days. My understanding has always been that Siege shard was created, in part, to be more difficult and challenging and represent some of that 'older UO' feel. Having the various bonuses of the prodo shards, i.e. Fel bonuses, should remain on the prodo shards.

Spend a full year on Siege and get back with us.
I've already spent more time then that on Siege.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
No. The spawn rate has not changed.

So what exactly does this mean?

• In order to improve performance while in champion spawn areas we have reduced the initial spawn count for all champion spawns.
I have yet to try a champ spawn on TC so cannot comment with any knowledge but from what I've read it seems there is less first-lvl spawn then before?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So what exactly does this mean?

• In order to improve performance while in champion spawn areas we have reduced the initial spawn count for all champion spawns.
I have yet to try a champ spawn on TC so cannot comment with any knowledge but from what I've read it seems there is less first-lvl spawn then before?
It means before the change the champ spawn mobs would be created until they hit a cap. With this change, the cap has been reduced. The rate at which the mobs are being created has not changed, only the maximum number that will spawn.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It means before the change the champ spawn mobs would be created until they hit a cap. With this change, the cap has been reduced. The rate at which the mobs are being created has not changed, only the maximum number that will spawn.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh okay that totally makes sense now, so if you kill spawn super-fast it will take longer for new ones to spawn, thanks for clarifying that! :)

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so if you kill spawn super-fast it will take longer for new ones to spawn
If you kill spawn super-fast, the rate at which they respawn is the same as before the change. The rate has not been changed, only the total number of mobs that will spawn before spawning stops.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you kill spawn super-fast, the rate at which they respawn is the same as before the change. The rate has not been changed, only the total number of mobs that will spawn before spawning stops.
Can you shed some light on what the performance issue was? I've done every spawn there is and never saw or heard anyone complain about performance... EM events are much more of an issue than champ spawns in my experience.

On its face, it seems like this is just intended to increase the amount of time it take some of the more advanced players to solo the spawns.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
No matter how you spin this it reduces the amount of spawn you can kill in a given time, increasing the amount of time to do the spawn.

To simply this, if the cap were 10 and reduced to 8, you now have to wait for the other 2 to spawn before you can kill them.

Otherwise if nothing changed, then this tweak would be completely pointless.

Please leave the cap alone, there's nothing wrong with it.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I imagined it then, but I seemed to have many less targets to hit and it took a long time to kill enough to gain a candle. Yes, the spawn rate is the same, but it seemed to me fewer of them spawned when that happened?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the code being used to manage the number of champ spawn critters is similar to the code being used to spawn the river moss, then its horribly, horribly broken.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the code being used to manage the number of champ spawn critters is similar to the code being used to spawn the river moss, then its horribly, horribly broken.
Similar code for similar functionality?? What did you smoke before that post??

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to play Siege, but didn't like it and left, so my opinion is as valid as any, especially when considering all the people that whine about wanting UO to return to the pre-Trammel days. My understanding has always been that Siege shard was created, in part, to be more difficult and challenging and represent some of that 'older UO' feel. Having the various bonuses of the prodo shards, i.e. Fel bonuses, should remain on the prodo shards.
It was, but years and years of bleed over code and no shard/siege ruleset specific development left it a mess, and because of those unintentional changes we need some adjustments to balance things out. Fel bonuses would help, at least somewhat, and I assume would require little to no dev time.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
On a tangental note, Kyronix, believe it or not, some people like to do the non-Fel spawns on the regular (non-SP) shards.

When created back in the day (about 15 years ago?) the champion spawn near Valor was put into an area that had existing creature "spawn" sites. Specifically, it had several points where Dragons spawn. Because of several different additions to the game in the years since, these dragons are now not only capable of spawning as Greater Dragons (something that was turned off in the Rikktor spawn itself after it proved too disruptive), but the Greater Dragons (and their normal kin) can spawn as Paragons. Having 1 or 2 Paragon Greater Dragons come rampaging through a rat spawn is potentially a TPK, to use a tabletop gaming term - it definitely brings the regularly scheduled hunt to a screaming halt. Worse, if they show up at an ARACHNID spawn where everyone is using opposed slayers, and if they switch over to Dragon or Reptile, then the spawn are opposed and are still gang-pressing the group trying to do the spawn. There's a good chance of unrecoverable bodies at a non-Fel spawn.

It's really the only location with this kind of issue (all the other spawn sites in Fel, Termur/Eodon & Malas don't have the issue, and of the two other Ilshenar spawns, Humility has weak neighboring spawn and the other two, good-aligned, Ilshenar spawns have the same creatures from the spawn itself in the area, unless Guile, Irk, Spite or a paragon changeling chase someone back to Twaulu's altar - usually the dryads and pixies will eat the lunch of normal changelings that venture that far south).

Any chance of counting how many dragons are currently spawning there, and turning the number down about 50% (or turning off the spawn points between the altar and the mountains to the north & west)? The Wyverns, drakes, and mummies are manageable. A golden greater dragon on meth with 10k HP and damage greater than most champ spawn bosses is a bit much as an interloper into another spawn.