• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 89 to Izumo and Origin

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am a little confused by why people are so upset about the change about the friends list being wiped.
I imagine it's to prevent an illegal program from targeting specific items to be "picked up" which is what we all want to do... thwart the scripters!
Simply making the house private, while leaving the access list alone, would accomplish this just as handily...and without all the gnashing of teeth.

Shouldn't we as adults be able to make intelligent decisions about where we store our items? If a friend hasn't played in 3 months assume that their house is going to fall and relocate your belongings.
This argument gets a bit silly. Storing something in someone's house isn't a bad thing, as an avid shard hopper, I'd think you'd be especially aware of this. I know many people who store things in a home that doesn't belong to them on shards they don't play regularly. I know plenty of people who keep accounts open but don't play regularly, if at all (Yes, I think its a bit silly, but whatever). I also know a few of these people who have randomly had credit card issues with the account mismanagement site and never received an email alerting them as much.

With the new changes, those people are screwed as soon as the house hits decay (usually the first indicator to the non-house owner that something is amiss). As we've seen in the past, a week may not be adequate to reup the subscription for whatever reason.

It's really not that difficult.
And yet, its not so cut and dry either.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I dunno @Dot_Warner simply making the house private only gives the people on the friends/access/co-owners list an advantage over those people who do not have access. So no it wouldn't accomplish anything positive.
I do realize that storing things in other peoples homes is something people do. It always surprises me but yeah I have heard people do it. I have access to storage of 175 items in my bank box so I don't have much use for this sort of storage. What do you all store in friends houses? I'm not knocking you just curious what all you'd need that doesn't fit inside your bank box.
As far as people keeping accounts open but not playing, after 3 months if you haven't heard from this person or talked to them maybe it would be best to hold your items in a friend's house who is... well a better or closer friend. It sounds ill-advised to store your precious cargo in the home of someone you hardly ever even talk to.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've really got to wonder if the reason we have so few devs working UO today is because of EA cutting the budget or just because of the endless pancakes, moaning, ranting, raving, complaining and pouting that goes on in these forums. This garbage has got to get tiresome. Might be why you bitchers and complainers get so few replies to your questions. Maybe devs are just getting to the point they're tired of all this crap they take in here and just won't work on UO anymore or read these forums.

Came back to UO all enthused about playing this game again. After a couple months of reading these forums to find out what's been added during the two years I was away, I'm hardly doing more than log in to do plants each day.

Anyone who decides to check out this old game to see if it's fun must find out about uo.stratics, read the pancakes and moaning and threats to close accounts in here, and close their account and move on to another game.

Do you people have anything you can do in here besides the endless, eternal pancakes?

Sheesh!...
Sheesh...you did a whole lot of pancakes in just one post !

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dunno @Dot_Warner simply making the house private only gives the people on the friends/access/co-owners list an advantage over those people who do not have access. So no it wouldn't accomplish anything positive.
Then use the private on decay, and list wipe the list at the IDOC stage if people are soooo concerned about a few people having an "advantage." This gives the accessed friends/co-owners 4 days time to move their stuff AND negates any change at an advantage. Remember, chances are the house hitting decay will be a surprise to most people.

I do realize that storing things in other peoples homes is something people do. It always surprises me but yeah I have heard people do it. I have access to storage of 175 items in my bank box so I don't have much use for this sort of storage. What do you all store in friends houses? I'm not knocking you just curious what all you'd need that doesn't fit inside your bank box.
I don't do this personally, but my friends who do keep crafting resources, armor pieces, weapons, and sundry crap to facilitate playing on that shard. A few of them own keeps and friend people that they play with so they have a base of operations. I've heard of one of these keeps falling twice (two different people) due to jacked billing issues. Apparently nobody happened to play there the week it went into decay and they lost it all.

Now if one goes into decay, they won't be able to get their own stuff if its not caught or resolved in time.

As far as people keeping accounts open but not playing, after 3 months if you haven't heard from this person or talked to them maybe it would be best to hold your items in a friend's house who is... well a better or closer friend. It sounds ill-advised to store your precious cargo in the home of someone you hardly ever even talk to.
There are many players I consider friends that I don't talk to on a regular basis. It's awfully rude of people to so casually place a three month expiration date on being someone's friend. There are families who'd have to disown each other on a regular basis...

UO is a game. Playing hardball with its customers is a bad idea.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Here's what I do...and..I don't know but maybe it's just me....

My house is all deco..soon to be a vendor house...I don't keep anything important even in my own home...band-aids/arrows/pots/apples/leaves etc. are all in each characters individual banks. When I'm out hunting or whatever...I either stop at home to re-stock or go to the bank...either way it's a stop I have to make..why not just use the bank?

Tamer needs more band-aids? In the bank..I need more arrows? In the bank...CRAP I ran out of orange petals...you guessed it..in the bank.....along with extra weapons (IE slayers etc.) that leaves me lots of room in my home for deco!

So storing things in other people's homes just makes no sense to me whatsoever....

Besides the fact that...and this I'm just guessing at...the housing *warehouse* is very old...the code is probably a mess and it's probably easier for them to code *Wipe List/Set to Private* rather then...*Set to private/wait 4 days/clear list/house fall* or whatever...you know how funky computer code is!

Anyway that's just my 2 cents...storing things in other people's homes just makes no sense to me. This is a good example of why it's a bad idea.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's what I do...and..I don't know but maybe it's just me....

My house is all deco..soon to be a vendor house...I don't keep anything important even in my own home...band-aids/arrows/pots/apples/leaves etc. are all in each characters individual banks. When I'm out hunting or whatever...I either stop at home to re-stock or go to the bank...either way it's a stop I have to make..why not just use the bank?

Tamer needs more band-aids? In the bank..I need more arrows? In the bank...CRAP I ran out of orange petals...you guessed it..in the bank.....along with extra weapons (IE slayers etc.) that leaves me lots of room in my home for deco!

So storing things in other people's homes just makes no sense to me whatsoever....

Besides the fact that...and this I'm just guessing at...the housing *warehouse* is very old...the code is probably a mess and it's probably easier for them to code *Wipe List/Set to Private* rather then...*Set to private/wait 4 days/clear list/house fall* or whatever...you know how funky computer code is!

Anyway that's just my 2 cents...storing things in other people's homes just makes no sense to me. This is a good example of why it's a bad idea.
I am glad that works for you but I have almost 70 characters on GL's alone.... I don't know how many tamers, archers, etc..... having a separate stockpile of bandages, arrows, petals, etc. for each character would not only be wasteful but EXPENSIVE to maintain... I'd forever have to recall who needed what... Some folk even keep soulstones in their bank..... I don't.... If I am using a soulstone it's more often than not used to swap skills from one character to another... not to just hold it for one character to take on and off. And yes I play several of them quite often in a given week. Tamers to go hunting, my main character to do EM events, my other character to do her Governor duties and such.... she also attends auctions to make a public appearance etc.... So yeah... I even play on at least half a dozen other shards. But I share my stuff with all my characters. Why have 40 different piles or regs, bandages, petals and arrows when I can have ONE centrally located for ALL to use. Most my characters don't have anything really in their bank save a few 100k for insurance.

You also realize that your bank box goes everywhere you do... it also contributes to lag. All that crap in there has to move from server to server everywhere you go. Think on that. Ok if you have excellent computer and ping and such but no so great if you don't.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then use the private on decay, and list wipe the list at the IDOC stage if people are soooo concerned about a few people having an "advantage." This gives the accessed friends/co-owners 4 days time to move their stuff AND negates any change at an advantage. Remember, chances are the house hitting decay will be a surprise to most people.

I don't do this personally, but my friends who do keep crafting resources, armor pieces, weapons, and sundry crap to facilitate playing on that shard. A few of them own keeps and friend people that they play with so they have a base of operations. I've heard of one of these keeps falling twice (two different people) due to jacked billing issues. Apparently nobody happened to play there the week it went into decay and they lost it all.

Now if one goes into decay, they won't be able to get their own stuff if its not caught or resolved in time.

There are many players I consider friends that I don't talk to on a regular basis. It's awfully rude of people to so casually place a three month expiration date on being someone's friend. There are families who'd have to disown each other on a regular basis...

UO is a game. Playing hardball with its customers is a bad idea.
I don't think you understand what the word hardball means.
Hardball would be a house going into decay days or weeks after a customer does not pay. Not 1/4 of a year.
Allowing people 90 days to manipulate a system is generous, not hardball.
People can rant all they want about their cousin who had a mailman who had a friend that couldn't figure out how to use a credit card or how to be patient when dealing with internet customer support but bottom line is the huge majority of houses that go into decay are decaying for a good reason. The owner chose to not pay his bill. Period.