• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 103 Keep Design Contest

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh wow... I have a Fan :D - thx
P.S. : Psssst ! Mine is #114 , i only put one inside - and no i do not post any pics here because some people never leave critism ;)
If you want to see it plz go to TC and have a look in.
:D I have a list - based on the picture thread - of places to see. Darn thing keeps getting longer every time I look at the designs.

If you still have pictures of it, I did a very small version of Mergaras Castle. The NW section was able to be fit into my plot but the rest couldn't be done. From the doors North and a shrunken section of the structure in the NE. When I do things like this I look at how I would lay out my crafting areas as well as what would be public, etc. TBH I'm torn between that implementation and the one of MissEchos keep.

But yes ... you have a fan! Your designs are amazing. :thumbsup:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Mine are #13, 45, 49 and 176... my other design thoug h submitted is NOT on the list and I know I submitted it just like all the others but it didn't make the list and I'm somewhat sad about that but it is what it is...

I personally like #1, 13, 16, 38, 43, 45(My favorite), 49, 51, 80, 84, 97, 102, 112, 137, 164, 172, 176, 179, 183 and 188.
Agree on #16, however I like 39 better. My preferences tend toward multiple levels with some texture differences in the exterior appearance. But like I said ... I have a long list to view before casting my vote.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:D I have a list - based on the picture thread - of places to see. Darn thing keeps getting longer every time I look at the designs.

If you still have pictures of it, I did a very small version of Mergaras Castle. The NW section was able to be fit into my plot but the rest couldn't be done. From the doors North and a shrunken section of the structure in the NE. When I do things like this I look at how I would lay out my crafting areas as well as what would be public, etc. TBH I'm torn between that implementation and the one of MissEchos keep.

But yes ... you have a fan! Your designs are amazing. :thumbsup:
Ui echt?... ähm.. I mean truely - really :D - must have a look in game *Smiles* where is it? Shard Koordinates?
And yes I still have my plans from the Mergaras Keep :)

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I apologize. I should have been more precise. The replications were done in the house customizer tool and not commited (yet). I did the mini-castle and then waited for this keep run to see what came up. I need to go and take pics of my version of MissE's keep, then I'll get one of what I do with your castle.

All this fussing around with different designs at least keeps me busy. My current place was built several years ago and needs to be replaced.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
A few of the ones I recalled to were actually private and also for some the recall spot was on a different Keep next to it. Still at least we didn't have that annoying delay....

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A few of the ones I recalled to were actually private and also for some the recall spot was on a different Keep next to it. Still at least we didn't have that annoying delay....
this I don't get being private how could they be entered into the contest? I thought they had to be public to enter

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One that I went to, I was greeted by a Bog Thing that had spawned on the plot. Whee!

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
My entry # 240 - A Practical Keep Design?

The exterior is the basically the same as the traditional keep in-game except for a few changes/additions/embellishments. It has an open floor plan, one set of steps from the 1st to 2nd floor, two sets from the 2nd to 3rd floor, and teleport tiles to the roof from the 1st and 3rd floors. (Oh and there is a secret door somewhere on the first floor.) I know it is very square but 99.9% of the space is usable.​

1st Floor.jpg
1st Floor​

2nd Floor.jpg
2nd Floor​

3rd Floor.jpg
3rd Floor

Roof Front.jpg
Roof Front

Roof Back.jpg
Roof Back​

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Took a few attempts to get to some as well, as many as 7 or 8 attempts and at another I ended up in the sea just off the coast, I couldn't teleport back to land, I was just stuck on the water, I never got to look at that Keep! Weird things going on...

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Took a few attempts to get to some as well, as many as 7 or 8 attempts and at another I ended up in the sea just off the coast, I couldn't teleport back to land, I was just stuck on the water, I never got to look at that Keep! Weird things going on...
I had several that I got bounced back (or whatever) on. Screen went dark, transport noise, then I'm in Brit again. But in all my cases when I did get to the house, there was an animal or bird moving off. That could have been the problem - and no "location is blocked" message.

I had made a rune for the brit post and put it n the supplied runebook. Then used SJ to get back from the keep to Brit. Can't say I got dumped in any weird places though.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Seems to be a few teething problems with their system, but I still think the recall part is working better than the gates, the delay last time was annoying.
I wonder how many that were submitted are missing, I've heard a few people say theirs wasn't on the stone. I'll ask the Guildies later.
@MalagAste it's a shame yours is not on the list I really liked it, I noticed from the numbers you short-listed we liked quite a few of the same ones.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Seems to be a few teething problems with their system, but I still think the recall part is working better than the gates, the delay last time was annoying.
I wonder how many that were submitted are missing, I've heard a few people say theirs wasn't on the stone. I'll ask the Guildies later.
@MalagAste it's a shame yours is not on the list I really liked it, I noticed from the numbers you short-listed we liked quite a few of the same ones.
Yeah, I was really bummed that that one didn't make the list... I'll try again another time or maybe next time I'll make a Castle size version of it... but made me sad it didn't get on the list even though obviously I know how to do it since the others all made the list... And it can't be that it was somehow disqualified since there were what 3 blank plots and 1 private home on there... and one with no real entry point but a ladder??? which IMO is just wrong... but whatever it is what it is.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hmmm shame we won't get any explanation either, some really nice designs seem to have been missed out. Of course all the ridiculous ones made it through, like the totally blank marble cube, the empty plots and the set of marble walls with no windows...

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
At work, could some post the numbers of them from the original list?

Or are they not posted like that this time?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
At work, could some post the numbers of them from the original list?

Or are they not posted like that this time?
The numbers in this round are nowhere near what they were last round. If you remember a name, look in the stuff panoramix2009 just posted. Good example - first round #114 (The Apadan) is number 14 this round.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
some of the top 20 are a joke, they must paid a lot money to have people vote for them
Agree. I went thru the list like I did the last round ... round 1 (all 20):
1. Run around the outside to get an idea of appearance. Unimaginative Borg units were dropped here.
2. Look around inside at room sizes and how *I* might make use of them and placement.
3. Look for and use teleporters.
4. Question self: how would this work in Fel - just in case?

Round 2 - survivors of round 1 (only 5):
1. Stairways and halls ... how wide are they? How many were only 1 tile wide?
2. Review usage based on what I know I would be doing with it.

Round 3 - finalists in my list (last 2):
Simply repeat all of the above steps to see if I missed anything.

My vote went to one that I believe would work well for what I would need/use it for. It also had some sort of "feel" to it - whether different texture tiles or whatever. All this took a while but I think I voted for the one that best filled *MY* desires were I to place it.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Gonna have to do the same. About 5 hours till off work and can do it.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Round 2 - survivors of round 1 (only 5):
1. Stairways and halls ... how wide are they? How many were only 1 tile wide?
How many have no stairs whatsoever. I don't get it, not like there wasn't room for them to place stairs in open floor plans.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How many have no stairs whatsoever. I don't get it, not like there wasn't room for them to place stairs in open floor plans.
Okay ... here's how I see it. Depending on interior design, stairs might have shrunk usable space considerably in an area where it would make it unusable or difficult. To me a decent stairway is going to be at least 2 wide, making a loss of 2x6 or 12 tiles from the floorplan (not including rails or walls). Use a teleporter and only 1 tile is lost.

Stairs also remove several tiles from use in the floor above, teleporters ... one. Do I like all TP houses? Not really, but I can understand why they might get used exclusively.

I might note this: For my own fun, I attempted to replicate a design or two in an 18x18 plot. In a couple cases not all the design would work, so I used only a portion of the original. Also in that process, I had to eliminate stairs and use teleports in between upper floors. Example is "Small #115" which is next to entry #18 in this round. It's public if you want to look around.

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Okay ... here's how I see it. Depending on interior design, stairs might have shrunk usable space considerably in an area where it would make it unusable or difficult. To me a decent stairway is going to be at least 2 wide, making a loss of 2x6 or 12 tiles from the floorplan (not including rails or walls). Use a teleporter and only 1 tile is lost.
To me, again my personal opinion, stairs are a major part of the problem solving needed for good design. For a roleplaying game, prefab houses should all have stairs incorporated in their design. If you cannot design them in there, then I think the design needs to be rethought. Again those are my opinions on the subject.

I appreciate your process for narrowing down your choice.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like #9 best... Open, easy to get around, not a lot of wasted space... has stairs which IMO is VERY important when moving stuff about the house... and it's not a blank cube.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I will admit that I did not visit every keep on the last round, I did check several out that were very popular. I went to every one of the house/keeps this time and again this time I saw that Robin's Nest was the best of them all.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought I did not visit as many this year. But I had already seen 19 of 20.

I Like 9 as a Keep. 12 is good. 20 is interesting. I dislike only 2 out of the 20.

:cheerleader:I think the players did a great job! :cheerleader:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
#9 is mine and I like it a lot... I did like 12 but could see that adding walls to that would be difficult and either leave gaps or be a PITA to do... mine also allows you to put ladders on the front so you can just run right in/out...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
#9 is nice but
i dont like the wall (corner)
on every floors
View attachment 89526
They allow you to add walls without leaving "gaps" or having to do things which are a PITA without leaving you open to getting killed in your own house had I just left those spots "empty"... without a post as MissEcho did in her castle design... If you just leave them there then you won't get attacked in your own home if you live in Fel or on Siege. I'm not a fan of leaving it in either but I'm also not a fan of getting killed in my own home.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I went round them all again last night, only two from my short list made it and they were #9 and #12, I prefer #9 slightly, but my own is also in the 20 so hmmmm decisions, decisions...:eek:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You click the stone East of Britain bank and you get a window. On that window there´s a Vote-button next to the keep names.
Voting button is on the right side... to visit each Keep design use the button on the Left hand side...

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Mr crowleys(#1) is the only one that i think i could live in, and even then, there are many items i do not care for. The sandstone ones are nice, but i dont really care for sandstone, and dont want to fight people for rubble to add walls...

if the devs added sandstone to the stone crafting( hint hint ) i would go with the other ones.

Not a fan of teleporters, and single wide stairs.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Mr crowleys(#1) is the only one that i think i could live in, and even then, there are many items i do not care for. The sandstone ones are nice, but i dont really care for sandstone, and dont want to fight people for rubble to add walls...

if the devs added sandstone to the stone crafting( hint hint ) i would go with the other ones.

Not a fan of teleporters, and single wide stairs.
I like Crowley as well except for the really narrow hallway on the 3rd floor. It could have been wider without too much impact on the rooms.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I like Crowley as well except for the really narrow hallway on the 3rd floor. It could have been wider without too much impact on the rooms.
The only other part i saw that baffeled me was the 1X2 tile space behind one of the stairs.... i have no idead what to put there LoL

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
A Guildmate reported that one of the 20 finalists tried to bribe him to vote for her design. :(