• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Producer Update

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Game
2014 Feb 11 20:03 GMT
Greetings everyone!

We are so thrilled to read all the feedback from our recent announcement and I wanted to share this great interview MMORPG.com did with a few of us at Broadsword to give you some insight as to what’s in store for the future.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/8212/General-Broadsword-On...

I am also happy to announce that we are actively looking for candidates to fulfill the position of Assistant Producer for Ultima Online. Interested persons may send their cover letter and resume’ to [email protected]

Some of the requirements for the Associate Producer position include,

• Fluency in Japanese and English
• Willingness to relocate or reside in the Northern Virginia area
• A passion for games and the communities they support

All future positions, contract or full time, will be presented to you the player base first to fill. I think with your experience and game knowledge we can do great things together!

Continue reading...

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm really anxious for what they have in store for taming...
Global loot? Hopefully that means that the "new" shame loot system will be used for everything...
Was a lil bit disappointet, that they didn't mention removing checks...

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sweet! That's what we like to hear. Let's get this train movin'

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some very promising things to read about in that interview, I found it interesting that MyUO was mentioned... does this mean it might return with a character/guild search feature once more? That would be !@#!ing amazing!

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they would hum a few bars, I could fake it. ;)
I wonder if google translate counts? I could always just speak the symbols

こんにちは
Kon'nichiwa
(Weird T,LowecaseH,Missing lines K,b with a line,lowercaseL connected to a cursive J)

...do I get the job??? :drools:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Is the "Hi Def Art update" the same process that has been ongoing or is this something completely new?

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sweet!

Please consider hiring Pinco!
Great suggestion, Mal ! That would be icing on the cake... He could continue to work at home, done all the time now...

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does it help that the kids have been teaching me japaneese and got me hooked on video manga?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think it would be a great move on their part..... Pinco has done more for the EC than anyone I know.

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the risk of sounding negative I really hope the qualifications are more than plays UO and speaks Japanese and English.

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
After reading the article there are some good things coming. I hope their timeline is not roll all of this out in 6 months.

Last edited:

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are also looking forward to creating a new/returning Player Experience to seamlessly welcome both new and former players to Britannia.

This is what makes me and my friends go broccoli dancing..:danceb:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I vote for Frarc for Assistant Producer.

Err, damn.... No Japanese fluently, right?

;)

Orich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I couldn't be more optimistic about this entire transition. With even a modest effort, UO could bounce back very nicely. Gaining 100,000 subscribers is a very reasonable goal to have, and it would fill up the shards again quite nicely.

I am little disappointed with one thing. Rob Denton is primarily talking about features that have been in the works by Mesanna & Co. for some time. I understand its part of the package he purchased, and he'd like to finish, publish, and market them ASAP under the Broadsword flag -- But I'd like to see a little more forward thinking other than what's been already developed and on the back-burner for quite some time. It was his first interview, so we have time I suppose :)

Very exciting. LONG LIVE UO!

Vander Nars []R[]

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Id like to see server side speed cap lowered so people can be more competitive in pvp, seeing people run so much faster because they happen to live on top of the server or they speed hacking makes it hard to enjoy pvp.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id like to see server side speed cap lowered so people can be more competitive in pvp, seeing people run so much faster because they happen to live on top of the server or they speed hacking makes it hard to enjoy pvp.

An intriguing concept that I don't remember being brought forth before. A server side speed cap to even things out for everyone, speed of play wise... Hmmm... I love the idea on first blush, but at what point do you cap it? If it were lowered to the speed many of our brothers/sisters experience - 2 miles out on dsl, etc - then we might all quit... Perhaps consider a cap at whatever would be reasonable ie. make it fair to most... This would take some research, but certainly doable... Not many have 10ms ping times, but some do - and they have a distinct advantage (I'm sure we'll hear from some of them shortly)... Where should a fair threshold be set?

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm getting a feeling of 'brakes taken off'. All the things Mesanna and the team have been wanting to do for ages but weren't allowed to. I could be wrong of course, I have no more knowledge than anyone else, but right or wrong, it's my gut feeling.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the "Hi Def Art update" the same process that has been ongoing or is this something completely new?
I'm guessing its the same thing as the "high res artwork" they have mentioned before. I hope so as I've been really looking forward to this myself. Lets hope its coming in 2014!

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I vote for Frarc for Assistant Producer.

Err, damn.... No Japanese fluently, right?

;)
ROFL, No Japanese is not any of the languages I know. :)

If i did not live on the other side of the world and did know Japanese, I would consider it. ;)

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
An intriguing concept that I don't remember being brought forth before. A server side speed cap to even things out for everyone, speed of play wise... Hmmm... I love the idea on first blush, but at what point do you cap it? If it were lowered to the speed many of our brothers/sisters experience - 2 miles out on dsl, etc - then we might all quit... Perhaps consider a cap at whatever would be reasonable ie. make it fair to most... This would take some research, but certainly doable... Not many have 10ms ping times, but some do - and they have a distinct advantage (I'm sure we'll hear from some of them shortly)... Where should a fair threshold be set?
There's a definite cap at a certain point, at least for legit players, no matter how good a ping one has. I've seen it many a time when running after someone, whether I was pinging 17 ms to East Coast shards or 40 ms to West Coast ones. Once upon a time I pinged 80 ms, enough to win a couple of horse races. Think about it: at 20 ms there are a possible 50 server-side checks per second, but at 100 ms there are still 10 possible server-side checks per second. This can make a difference in reaction times (like casting spells or running around corners), but sustained running in a straight line, nah, no difference.

A lot made excuses that they "needed" speedhacking because of high pings, but the whole purpose of the cheat was to exceed the cap. Conversely, "I just ping better" was the lie many speedhackers used.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had a think about this and my guess would be the shame loot system rolled out across the board to all dungeons etc. Only a guess though.

I sincerely hope this is NOT the plan, for two reasons:

(1) It would make it much more difficult to find single-property jewelry as loot that can be further imbued.
(2) It would make it almost impossible to train imbuing by using looted items for your training, since even the most worthless of "Shame loot" pieces would likely have too many properties to use for training. We don't all train imbuing by following a mindless progression of applying the same properties over and over again to crafted pieces, especially people who might just be returning to UO or starting on a new shard who want to get imbuing trained up first so they can make their own starting gear for the rest of their characters. I've trained imbuing up to 120 five times now, with many additional characters closing in on 120, by only using looted items. I go through a bag of looted stuff and sort it piece by piece into pieces to train with now and at later stages in the training process and unravelling the higher-value pieces as I go through the bag. Yes, it mind seem somewhat boring, but it really isn't. To me, it is much less tedious than just following an already laid-out path of (1) make x number of weapons, (2) imbue property 1 at x value, (3) imbue property 2 at x value; when you get to this skill level, change your property values to y, etc., etc. I have to look at each piece and figure out what to imbue on it for gains, which helps keep me awake and interested in what I'm doing.
(3) If the number of lootable pieces on most mobs is decreased even further, even if their quality improves, it will make it that much more time consuming for people who are just returning or just starting to gather loot to unravel for the residue they need for their training.

I agree that loot in general needs an overhaul. However, I am very much against turning it all into "Shame loot" because I think it could really hinder training imbuing for people who like to find usable pieces to imbue further and who don't want to train imbuing in automaton fashion. However, if Broadsword wishes to create even more reasons for people to run scripts, then by all means change everything so that people will be forced into "monotonous mode" for training imbuing and will need to have other crafting skills available to them as well.

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*my apologies beforehand for this silly mood posting*
... Vendor Search in March, yipppppiiiieeekayeeeeee! ...​
... High Definition Art (sometime soon hopefully), woooohohohohoooooottt! ...​
... And also... MyUO is coming home, shala la la lala! ...​
... this means Christmas, Easter and Birthday in February?!? ...​
:banana: :banana: :banana:
PS: If somebody needs a german translation
for the UO part of the interview,
here is a link to the UOB one.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't have a problem training imbuing, but then I wasn't in a hurry either. I did it by just unraveling, and hoarding up the imgreds. I never actually imbued anything till I was GM, and then just let the natural gains from using the skill do it. IMO its not near as difficult to train thru natural gameplay as smithing and tailoring and tinkering are.

Just my experience with it tho.

Either way, they damned sure need to take a look at T Chest loot, seriously. For several months now 6s and 7s are very little different from 5s, except for the spawn...

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what is 'Global Loot'??
Loot, everywhere. The intent is to zoom waayyyyyy out and look at loot drops throughout the entire world and try and find some semblance of balance across all encounters. This doesn't mean that you'll find shame loot in every creature everywhere, but there won't be such a disparity between outright junk and everything.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the risk of sounding negative I really hope the qualifications are more than plays UO and speaks Japanese and English.
Assistant/Lacky They forgot needs to learn on job coffee making skills to avoid pay reductions. Needs to know how to avoid sprinkler system when mowing lawns. Fills in for custodian excutive while on sick and vacation days without overtime pay. Must take company troll out for walks with large supply of plastic poopy bags. Must have a fresh Brazilian when washing bosses cars on hot summer days. Has to respond online to all players & E.A. Execs on boss's ignore list. And dammit rewarm my coffee!

Last edited:

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Loot, everywhere. The intent is to zoom waayyyyyy out and look at loot drops throughout the entire world and try and find some semblance of balance across all encounters. This doesn't mean that you'll find shame loot in every creature everywhere, but there won't be such a disparity between outright junk and everything.

In short. It is sad that a Wrong lizardman has better loot then a champ boss or Dark Father. And while the code mages are in the loot area. Add a 5 after the 2 for the ammount of ore on a Dull Copper Elemental.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
99.9% of all loot is junk. There was talk before of a way to remove negative properties from weapons/armor which would not be easily done but at least then I could justify looking through 10 million items to find that 1 pieces.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perta fro mthe sound of it you might hae your finger on the truth... but I too hoe this is so.. too long EA has strangled the Dev to the point of them passing out!

Kyronix said most loot, i can see that being of great use... contrary to most some junk is needed for "new" players to build skills on in many areas. First that comes to mind is imbuing, smithing, tailoring, etc...

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I sincerely hope this is NOT the plan, for two reasons:

It could be ok as long as low-level monsters can give items with one property, e.g. daemons giving FC1. If done right, there can be a new range of monsters that give clean jewelry with 5% or even 10% SSI.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It could be ok as long as low-level monsters can give items with one property, e.g. daemons giving FC1. If done right, there can be a new range of monsters that give clean jewelry with 5% or even 10% SSI.
How about something like this in a much broader spectrum

All mobs can drop single mod jewls but if it's
Lesser artifact you can only imbue 3 mods(400 intensity)
Major artifact 5 mods (500 intensity)
Legendary 7 mods(650 intensity)

Why should someone farming mongbats get a clean 10 ssi ring? They shouldn't especially as sought after they are..higher end mobs give better loot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk