• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Producer Letter

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
If I need help that is not covered in the FAQ, do I e-mail broadsword? For example I buy something on the Origin store that does not work for some reason, do I e-mail broadsword?

Also, is in game support still the same?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is certainly exciting news. I eagerly await their first announced additions/changes.

Mesanna

UO Producer | Dark OverLady
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good evening everyone,

Interesting news huh. We are seeing this as a good thing. Its a new adventure that is going to let us put new life into UO that we had not been able to before. So as far as questions, we will try to gather the questions and if I can get the good people on stratics to help us gather them also we will make sure we answer all the questions we can for you. If we are not able to answer it I will just tell you we are not allowed to answer that question at this time. As I stated in the letter our emails have changed and as normal my new email address is [email protected]. If you need me you are all welcome to message me.

We are still getting set up in our new office but its coming along really well. When its set up I will send you pictures, we have nice hardwood floors so I have to buy skates now for the office *evil grin*

We will be posting a lot and getting you guys up to date with what we are doing and what we are going to be doing next. In April we will probably have a Return to Britannia again so tell your friends to come visit and check out what we have done in UO.

Hugs!

Mesanna

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Good evening everyone,

Interesting news huh. We are seeing this as a good thing. Its a new adventure that is going to let us put new life into UO that we had not been able to before. So as far as questions, we will try to gather the questions and if I can get the good people on stratics to help us gather them also we will make sure we answer all the questions we can for you. If we are not able to answer it I will just tell you we are not allowed to answer that question at this time. As I stated in the letter our emails have changed and as normal my new email address is [email protected]. If you need me you are all welcome to message me.

We are still getting set up in our new office but its coming along really well. When its set up I will send you pictures, we have nice hardwood floors so I have to buy skates now for the office *evil grin*

We will be posting a lot and getting you guys up to date with what we are doing and what we are going to be doing next. In April we will probably have a Return to Britannia again so tell your friends to come visit and check out what we have done in UO.

Hugs!

Mesanna
Expect a lot of mail! =)

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I can say is 2 days of paging for a GM to fix my stuck character transfer and not getting a response does NOTHING for the hype of future game improvements.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that is William Wallace's page...we are now all his children.
That would be a lineage I could wrap my head around, if my ancesters weren't already proud Norsman!

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good evening everyone,

Hugs!

Mesanna
with the distinct LACK of posts before to this cheery post about how you guys are gonna be jumping in with both feet to be around to answer questions has me not knowing what to think.

when i read the transition, i like most thought... meh, here we go again.

but with what sounds like a post stating that they can now and will now answer my questions makes me wonder if the new caretaker (umbrella) corporation actually might have a media relations person that is letting the slaves in the galley of the ship answer questions???!!!???!!??

i guess we will have to sit back and see.

at the end of the day for a IT outsider that i am this looks like outsourcing but then since when does outsourcing take the old staff with it?

looking forward to seeing where this goes now actually.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good evening everyone,

Hugs!

Mesanna

Wow another move eh? Are you in a different state now? Do you think UO will tour all 50 states before you retire? I am kind of excited about this. I hoped EA would let the old girl go completely. But this is the next best thing I suppose. Are you going to hire back Draconi?

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow another move eh? Are you in a different state now? Do you think UO will tour all 50 states before you retire? I am kind of excited about this. I hoped EA would let the old girl go completely. But this is the next best thing I suppose. Are you going to hire back Draconi?
One can dream

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sometimes write articles for a major Dutch newssite so I immediately went off and posted this news there. And it got placed.

http://games.fok.nl/nieuws/637270/1/1/50/ultima-online-los-van-ea.html

If there are any updates (especially the Return to Britannia thing) I'll try to get them posted as well. Hopefully this will help get a few veterans back to the game, or new players excited to try it.

If any of you got rights to write and submit articles to news/gaming sites, now might be a good time to use those privileges. Let's get UO some publicity it deserves. :)

Last edited:

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
BEST BREAKIG NEWS IN SOSARIA SINCE 1999!
BEST BREAKIG NEWS IN SOSARIA SINCE 1999!

Attachments

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I've gotten a few messages via ICQ and questions - so did some research.

The new partnership is with Broadsword Online Games, Inc. NOT Broadsword Interactive Limited. They are two separate companies.
BIL is based in the UK, BOG is here in the good ol' USofA and was formed by several members of Mythic

Broadsword Online Games, Inc. public DNS information via whois lookup on www.broadsword.com - (the actual website given by Bonnie)
Registrant Name: Broadsword Online Games
Registrant Organization: Broadsword Online Games
Registrant Street: 790 Station Street
Registrant City: Herndon
Registrant State/Province: VA
Registrant Postal Code: 20171
Registrant Country: US

On a personal note, I'm kinda excited over this news, for both DAoC & UO. Perhaps this will help both games grow, develop, and move forward in tech as well as support.

Now... to settle the issues with the Origin/EA payment systems and account management... THAT will make me wonderfully happy!

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Why, freeshards have clients with decent UI? That's new.

Last time I checked, they only supported 2D. Which I stopped using what, 10 years ago?
I play a freeshard and yes it is 2d. But with that 2d, I have a resizable game window and a UI that is just amazing. Things that should have been in the official game/client YEARS ago. Some how a freeshard with minimum resources has done what EA did not but could have. EA/UO has been sitting on their hands in the development department for many a year.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My initial thought, not knowing anything about Broadsword, is that hopefully press releases are being sent to the gaming sites. Any advertising, free or otherwise is a good thing and UO needs this badly. Additionally every game dev wants to work for a winner so the new folk will have the energy and hopefully the ability to stimulate action and keep the game going. I don't care if it's 2D, 3D, upside down or inside out. It's a game. I enjoy it for what it is here and now.
I hope Mesanna and crew will be supported in what they have done for us over the years. Without their dedication this game would have been turned off a long time ago.

And Mesanna... please know that Baja misses you very much. We have hope that someday you'll return to us for a visit. Or to rain down chaos and pandemonium upon us. You pick! :flame:

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In April we will probably have a Return to Britannia again so tell your friends to come visit and check out what we have done in UO.
I dont think, that would be a good timing. At least try it to become late april or early mai, when most ppls 30-free-days period of elder scrolls online will end.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Good evening everyone,

Hugs!

Mesanna

I hope this as good a thing as you're indicating. Here are my questions:

-Will we be gaining or losing devs and dev time?

-What if anything will this mean for the EM program?

-Is there any indication what direction Broadsword wants to take UO? New content/global arcs? Expansions? Advertising? Free to play (*shudder*)? Bug fixes? Work on existing systems that need finishing/updating?

I know that when games companies make big changes like this employees are often lost in the shuffle and the shakedown. I hope you all made out all right. Good luck!

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From LinkedIn.....

Our Vision – Every Player, Every Day
We are Broadsword. We have a passion for growing and evolving interconnected online worlds. We believe in quality and strive to deliver compelling content, energized communities and top tier service to all of our players. We are all passionate gamers and we love to work with our communities of committed, hard-core gamers. In the end, for us Broadswordians, it's all about providing an unparalleled experience to Every Player, Every Day.

Our Company – Broadsword Online Games
We have a team of 14 passionate, hard-core gamers with centuries of combined experience creating, running and evolving online games. Broadsword is totally focused on two games – Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot. Our team of producers, designers, engineers, artists, CSRs and QA analysts works day and night to make sure that UO and DAoC continue to provide delightful and compelling experiences to Every Player, Every Day
  • Industry

Computer Games
  • Type

Public Company
  • Company Size

11-50 employees
  • Founded

Last edited:

Sean

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That might be cool. Your posting account tied to your game account.
Like the good old days.

ROFL, yeah that was interesting times. "That's your third strike.....good bye"

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I spent more time with one of my accounts banned due to the MyUO forums than open and playable...

Though three strikes was only a "real" ban if you weren't a lovable scamp. ;)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Last time I checked, they only supported 2D. Which I stopped using what, 10 years ago?
yes freeshards have UIs much much "better" than mythic. real 3d even.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
If accurate information, this concerns me.
Why would that be a concern?

I tried searching for the company on stock trading boards and came up with nothing, even for penny stocks. It doesn't look like a public company to me.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Startle there is a hypothetical reason EA didnt just hand all of UO's laundry to Broadsword....
Now mind you this is from my personal opinion...
EA wants to wash it hands of UO, but it still wants the revenue we generate in its coffers.
Which means to those laymen out there we still generate a good deal of cash flow that EA is loath to part with.
EA wants our money but dont wish to give back so it found someone willing to do the dirty work but get paid squat.
TO be reasonable I am willing to wait and see what goes forth... but I will tell you my spider senses are tingling on some issues.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is very easy to imagine how a pretty huge, gaping window of opportunity to pull the plug and kill UO off has very recently passed. EA chose not to do so but instead, cast UO in hands of a company solely devoted to UO&DAOC. This is a good thing.

Mythic is very currently being repurposed from janitor of small scale MMOs to creator of incredibly bad mobile games entire world hates. UO was always on backseat in their internal plans, seen as ******* they never wished to adopt in first place. Now entire MMO side of Mythic is being driven down. Ultima Online, 17 year old MMO survives this ALIVE and with it's current,small dev team not only intact but also growing in size. When we keep contect and the whole it-is-what-it-is reality in mind, I think it is beyond debate this makes surprisingly goood news.

Strange how so many find reasons and ways to be disappointed or alarmed about this.Not sure what it takes to feel alarm instead of relief.

A) Mythic, the creator of Warhammer, Developer of bad mobile games,maintainer of DAOC,Warhammer Online and Wrath of Heroes is also responsible of managment side of UO. Ultimately, EA calls the shots and sits on the gold pile. Mythic has repeatedly proven they lack either motivation,competence, resourcesor any combination of the three to do their job properly.
B) Broad Sword, newly created smalll company solely devoted to managing UO and DAOC manages UO and DAOC. Ultimately, EA calls the shots and sits on the gold pile.

When A changes to B how is it "bad news" or " something to be alarmed about"? Would you have preferred UO to remmain in managment by company that is busy abandoning MMOs as concept and trying it's luck in making immoral and absolutely repulsive cash milking mobile ****?

Maybe it is all about attitude. Every time there is " letter from publisher" etc and it doesn't include news of UO getting killed off I go *phew*.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

So I guess you haven't played UO in over 10 yrs then. All of UO is 2D, *shakes head and walks away*.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is very easy to imagine how a pretty huge, gaping window of opportunity to pull the plug and kill UO off has very recently passed. EA chose not to do so but instead, cast UO in hands of a company solely devoted to UO&DAOC. This is a good thing.

Mythic is very currently being repurposed from janitor of small scale MMOs to creator of incredibly bad mobile games entire world hates. UO was always on backseat in their internal plans, seen as ******* they never wished to adopt in first place. Now entire MMO side of Mythic is being driven down. Ultima Online, 17 year old MMO survives this ALIVE and with it's current,small dev team not only intact but also growing in size. When we keep contect and the whole it-is-what-it-is reality in mind, I think it is beyond debate this makes surprisingly goood news.

Strange how so many find reasons and ways to be disappointed or alarmed about this.Not sure what it takes to feel alarm instead of relief.

A) Mythic, the creator of Warhammer, Developer of bad mobile games,maintainer of DAOC,Warhammer Online and Wrath of Heroes is also responsible of managment side of UO. Ultimately, EA calls the shots and sits on the gold pile. Mythic has repeatedly proven they lack either motivation,competence, resourcesor any combination of the three to do their job properly.
B) Broad Sword, newly created smalll company solely devoted to managing UO and DAOC manages UO and DAOC. Ultimately, EA calls the shots and sits on the gold pile.

When A changes to B how is it "bad news" or " something to be alarmed about"? Would you have preferred UO to remmain in managment by company that is busy abandoning MMOs as concept and trying it's luck in making immoral and absolutely repulsive cash milking mobile ****?

Maybe it is all about attitude. Every time there is " letter from publisher" etc and it doesn't include news of UO getting killed off I go *phew*.

Amazing post, honestly couldnt have said any of that better myself.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I stated in my E-Mail to the address in the announcement: Welcome aboard Broadsword.

-Galen's player

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tat
Why would that be a concern?

I tried searching for the company on stock trading boards and came up with nothing, even for penny stocks. It doesn't look like a public company to me.
I couldn't find anything either. It's probably an error on their LinkedIn profile. Per their website, they have 14 people, which is not impossible for a company whose stock trades strictly OTC, but there's no reference to being publicly traded, and I doubt they'd spend the money (as they would have) for someone to handle all the reporting requirements.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I dont think, that would be a good timing. At least try it to become late april or early mai, when most ppls 30-free-days period of elder scrolls online will end.

I agree that April would be a bad month for a RTB - ESO is releasing in April and that will draw a lot of attention away from tried & true games. Everyone will want to jump into the "new game" for at lease one or two payment cycles.
And SotA is due for release in October this year....
Maybe a RTB promo would be good mid-summer when all the kids are out of school and have nothing better to do? :D

just sayin'

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree that having an RTB during the month of another long, long awaited MMO's release would be a complete waste of time.

In fact, unless UO has something going on during an RTB period, like an event arc, you won't get many to stick around. RTB needs a hook.

Last edited:

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just pressing "like" doesn't properly convey my thoughts on this post. Very well said.

I personally am very excited by this news. And would not be surprised to hear an announcement of an expansion for the game in the following months.

OMG A GIANT ROCK

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Just curious as to why they would use dev time fixing bugs in a system that they have already said they are completely scrapping or did I miss something?
Because they can simply revert the faction changes of '12 and fix many many many many problems instead of wasting ALOT of their time to probably make another bugged system in my opinion.

OMG A GIANT ROCK

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Id rather a brand new system, with meaningful goals + rewards , than an old broken system.
Me too, but to fill the time that's gonna take them to make a new system (hopefully bug free), it'd be nice for them to revert their faction changes that brought upon more bugs, and that would flourish pvp and bring people back to the game for the time being while they work on a new system instead of what pvp is turning into now a days.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Me too, but to fill the time that's gonna take them to make a new system (hopefully bug free), it'd be nice for them to revert their faction changes that brought upon more bugs, and that would flourish pvp and bring people back to the game for the time being while they work on a new system instead of what pvp is turning into now a days.
Good point

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
And TODAY you "need" at least 3 different email adresses, just change password! :p

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well this explains alot... if you think about the quiet of the Dev outside of Kyronix the rest have been running silent as mice of late.
My biggest concern is what has been planned and we are awaiting for the next shoe to drop.
Usualy when a new company takes over you see a small transition time then you start to see people you know and trust leave like fall leaves off the tree.
This is what happened when EA got froggy and found a way to 86 Garrott... from his own creation.
Followed shortly by the whole Dev team being strangled till they had to abandon ship.
Sorry I dont trust men in suits... after that hostle takeover.
Question is is our Dev team in any danger?
This one has been working very well and I just have that niggling doubt about "new" anything.
From the wording the Mythic office moved into the new company location...
I do not trust EA....

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well this explains alot... if you think about the quiet of the Dev outside of Kyronix the rest have been running silent as mice of late.
My biggest concern is what has been planned and we are awaiting for the next shoe to drop.
Usualy when a new company takes over you see a small transition time then you start to see people you know and trust leave like fall leaves off the tree.
This is what happened when EA got froggy and found a way to 86 Garrott... from his own creation.
Followed shortly by the whole Dev team being strangled till they had to abandon ship.
Sorry I dont trust men in suits... after that hostle takeover.
Question is is our Dev team in any danger?
This one has been working very well and I just have that niggling doubt about "new" anything.
From the wording the Mythic office moved into the new company location...
I do not trust EA....
Read the info on Broadsword Lady Storm. Broadsword IS our uo team, and the DAoC team. Check Kyronix profile location