• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Placed Houses in Dungeons

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings Everyone, It has come to our attention that houses have been placed in the copy of Castle Blackthron dungeon. We are giving you 48 hours to remove your house or it will be deleted. The houses on Atlantic were deleted because they were empty. If you place there you will lose your house. Thank you and we hope to see you on Origin tomorrow, faire starts at 3 pm ET. Mesanna

Continue reading...

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Only an idiot would buy those thinking they were legal. There is a reason the people that placed them are making a mad rush to sell these ASAP.
They should have said oh no we messed up and will be fixing our mistake immediately acknowledgement and accountability....

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This happened at 10:30pm ET last night and there is a post on uo.com this morning about it. Not sure how much faster of a response you are looking for...
It's not the speed of the response it's the lack of accountability they messed up then make it look like the players should know better...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
According to the facebook post, the EM did something to allow it so THEY didn't mess up, the EM did...and the players SHOULD know better....or do you really think placing house in Blackthorns makes sense?? :/

I am sure the EM will get a stern talking to.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This caused all shards to accept housing there? UO players are :devil: .

It's not the speed of the response it's the lack of accountability they messed up then make it look like the players should know better...
When have they every explained how an exploit is created or by whom? The only instance I recall is the Clops issue.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
According to the facebook post, the EM did something to allow it so THEY didn't mess up, the EM did...and the players SHOULD know better....or do you really think placing house in Blackthorns makes sense?? :/

I am sure the EM will get a stern talking to.
Does placing in the abyss make sense or luna at first? Players have a split second to decide or miss out

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Really?

Those spots were MADE for housing.....

Oh no wait.....I forgot...people are gullible....

Let me go try to place down in the pits...no better yet, maybe I'll go try to place in destard..that's a big dungeon!

*rolls eyes*

I'm glad it was taken care of quickly and I hope no one was stupid enough to spend plats on them...actually...I take that back...because if someone did, they deserve to lose their gold ;)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Any pics of a house there? I didnt think theres room for anything big.

Seller:

Great Location, No Spawn!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The Developers took the right path of immediately putting out a public notice and giving the offending parties 48 hours to remove their houses and any of their stuff before action is taken to remove/delete.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really?

I'm glad it was taken care of quickly and I hope no one was stupid enough to spend plats on them...actually...I take that back...because if someone did, they deserve to lose their gold ;)
Well I have heard someone sold one for 5p so the person who sold it got away with 5p and the buyer got away with losing 5p and nothing to show for it.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Well I have heard someone sold one for 5p so the person who sold it got away with 5p and the buyer got away with losing 5p and nothing to show for it.
What would be funny is if the DEVs looked at the logs and see if a house was sold and take the gold back and keep it as a gold sink.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
is it really that big a deal ?
my understanding was all spawn and creatures were removed from Blackthorns because of "scripting" the drops there.
space was not being used so why not open it up to housing ?

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
is it really that big a deal ?
my understanding was all spawn and creatures were removed from Blackthorns because of "scripting" the drops there.
space was not being used so why not open it up to housing ?

This wasn't regular Blackthorn's Dungeon, but a completely unreachable version that has only ever been used for EM Events.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What do you want them to post?

“We are soo sorry about the house someone placed in the dungeon. We have been emotional about it and didn’t sleep much. But we must take accountability for this tremendous mistake. Everyone who logs in today gets 100m gold.”

UO world is massive and has passed through numerous developers hands. You expect every single thing to be accounted for? They took action quickly. What exactly do you want them to do? Why do you choose to exist as a broken record on the forums?
1663960443456.png

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
hmhm loool

beside the obvious that you have to be an idiot to buy one of those there is 1 MUCH MUCH more important question

HOW THE F YOU EVEN GET THE IDEA TO TRY TO PLACE A HOUSE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE....

regarding the devs reaction, 48h is more than fair and screw ups happen. they saw it, fixed it and gave proper notice, so iam not sure why people are giving them **** when a EM messed up....

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
hmhm loool

beside the obvious that you have to be an idiot to buy one of those there is 1 MUCH MUCH more important question

HOW THE F YOU EVEN GET THE IDEA TO TRY TO PLACE A HOUSE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE....

regarding the devs reaction, 48h is more than fair and screw ups happen. they saw it, fixed it and gave proper notice, so iam not sure why people are giving them **** when a EM messed up....
Well i try to place houses everywhere all the time i often get the housing is not allowed in this area message i also try to mark runes in a lot of weird places sometimes i get the you can't do that here message NOW IF i still was able to place or mark with some cheat or hack I'm at fault but if the EM makes the mistake players should not be punished (place no trade or selling restrictions) now blackthorns is already a no mark no housing area why were the safe guards removed?

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
According to the facebook post, the EM did something to allow it so THEY didn't mess up, the EM did...
Cut ‘em alil slack. We all make mistakes sometimes. So he missed clicking a button when he was done, prob was up late night trying to make sure us kiddies would have fun. Lets just hope it was a 1st strike if the Dark Lady is using a 3 strikes rule.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well i try to place houses everywhere all the time i often get the housing is not allowed in this area message i also try to mark runes in a lot of weird places sometimes i get the you can't do that here message NOW IF i still was able to place or mark with some cheat or hack I'm at fault but if the EM makes the mistake players should not be punished (place no trade or selling restrictions) now blackthorns is already a no mark no housing area why were the safe guards removed?
the player is not punished for the F*ckUp of the EM but because of being stupid, you do not need a masters degree to prolly come to the conclusion paying 5p for a house where no other houses are like in a dungeon maybe not a good idea, furthermore the player is not getting punished by the EMs they could have rightfully simply deleted the house and be done with it.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
now blackthorns is already a no mark no housing area why were the safe guards removed?

Again, its not the real Blackthorn's Dungeon. Its a special area which was used for EM Events + clearly not meant for housing. I mean hell, you could only ever get there by an EM Gating you in the first place!

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Cut ‘em alil slack. We all make mistakes sometimes. So he missed clicking a button when he was done, prob was up late night trying to make sure us kiddies would have fun. Lets just hope it was a 1st strike if the Dark Lady is using a 3 strikes rule.
Oh no, I am not bashing the EM by any means! Origin's EM has had a few boo-boo's as well, they are only human!

My point was that it was not Bonnie's Fault, it was not the Dev's fault, they had nothing to do with what happened yet people are blaming them.

This is why I hate late EM Event times because the EM's do A LOT of work and they need beauty sleep too! ;)

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Again with the culture of me expecting someone be it developers or EM to be held accountable for their actions as blaming or negative. honestly it's blown so far out of proportion by everyone was a mistake but people who placed should have been allowed to keep with the no sale/trade restrictions..

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh no, I am not bashing the EM by any means! Origin's EM has had a few boo-boo's as well, they are only human!

My point was that it was not Bonnie's Fault, it was not the Dev's fault, they had nothing to do with what happened yet people are blaming them.

This is why I hate late EM Event times because the EM's do A LOT of work and they need beauty sleep too! ;)
You have no idea if it was the EM to blame or not, you just latched on to someone on facebook who said it was. Stop blaming someone might have had nothing to do with it because you saw someone say something on facebook. No one might have been at fault so stop speculating.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Again with the culture of me expecting someone be it developers or EM to be held accountable for their actions as blaming or negative. honestly it's blown so far out of proportion by everyone was a mistake but people who placed should have been allowed to keep with the no sale/trade restrictions..
I was trying to not be part of this but oh well.
What would the devs have to do in order to “take accountability”??

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You have no idea if it was the EM to blame or not, you just latched on to someone on facebook who said it was. Stop blaming someone might have had nothing to do with it because you saw someone say something on facebook. No one might have been at fault so stop speculating.
Excuse me? The EM put the copy of the dungeon there and forgot to clean up after the event. If he had, this whole mess wouldn't have happened..and it wasn't just said on fb so stop telling me what to do thanks!

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Unless you are the EM or a Dev, you don't know exactly what happened or what went wrong. Were you even there? EMs don't make copies of dungeons, they decorate spaces already on the map. To verify that you just need a map program and to look where you are during each em event.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was trying to not be part of this but oh well.
What would the devs have to do in order to “take accountability”??
They should have not been involved at all..except to say a mistake was made anyone who placed may keep but house may not be sold or traded and we will place safeguards so this doesn't happen again..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should have not been involved at all..except to say a mistake was made anyone who placed may keep but house may not be sold or traded and we will place safeguards so this doesn't happen again..
They hold events in these areas. These houses are in the way.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They hold events in these areas. These houses are in the way.
Now is it static or something the em made? Either way punishing players shouldn't be an option besides who does like em battles in their front yard

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now is it static or something the em made? Either way punishing players shouldn't be an option besides who does like em battles in their front yard
Its a permanent mass that EMs can get you to. The houses are where the fights happen since its the large area.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
You been playing this game for how many years and you are not smart enough to know that houses do not belong there, shakes head and walks away. Stupid is as stupid does

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I saw the postings on FB that morning and knew it was either a scam or something else which would get deleted. If you're a new player I could see how one MIGHT think it was on the ok but no new player can afford the 5 Plat asking price.

UO is filled with buggy code, always has and always will, we all know it. I'm sure not a fan boy of the dev team and adamantly believe they are near useless but this isn't anything other than user beware. I'd love to throw them under the bus but, frankly, there isn't even a bus stop anywhere near this thread.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I got ur point & am in full agreement. My comment was meant towards the post directly above mine that asked how this could even happen and at the F̶o̶o̶l̶s̶ errr... folks saying its the Devs fault & ABSURD notion players should keep the houses. Everyone knows houses shouldn’t be placed in that area... yes, everyone. To suggest otherwise shows the community exactly where you stand on acceptance of scams and exploits.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would have tried to sell it for a gazzilion billion plat and I’m sure it would have sold
It’s just a mistake let it go

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember seeing and sneaking around all the housing some players placed in one of the Fel champ spawn areas in the Abyss during the SA beta. Anyone else remember that?

tanotan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lord British was killed too and that should never happen. But he was dead. So what? Wasnt a players mistake.
Same is true for the "moveable forges", if anybody remembers.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thats ridiculous. It is obviously not an area designed for houses. There is no way the person who placed it there would think it was a legitimate spot for a house. Broadsword did the right thing stepping in.

When something wrong is happening in the game world, corrections need to be made.

Last edited:

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's an obvious mistake, one that they're correcting. Part of owning and correcting that mistake is removing the house, so the mistake doesn't have a lasting negative impact. A player tried to take advantage of a mistake; they shouldn't benefit from that; the player will not be out anything once that mistake is corrected and that house removed. Now, if they were going to action the account of the player that placed the house, then you'd have an argument for poor handling of the situation.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's an obvious mistake, one that they're correcting. Part of owning and correcting that mistake is removing the house, so the mistake doesn't have a lasting negative impact. A player tried to take advantage of a mistake; they shouldn't benefit from that; the player will not be out anything once that mistake is corrected and that house removed. Now, if they were going to action the account of the player that placed the house, then you'd have an argument for poor handling of the situation.
UO is filled with stuff like this remember the house wth houses stacked on and around it that just fell recently? Yes it was a mistake but players legally placed end of story. the fact that it was stupid matters not

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why are you carrying water for players who knowingly placed a house in an inappropriate area? If players were allowed to place there, why suddenly now? Finding an accidental loophole in the rules does not negate them. Have you never been to Felucca Destard on some shards to see the old “any houses placed here are illegal and will be demolished signs?

Or, are you just being contrarian? You found yet another issue to bloviate about because you seem to get off on causing drama. Is this because the team doesn’t give you the direct and individual relationship you feel you deserve? Is literally every issue with you one of “I’m not getting enough attention!”