• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Looking for New Castle Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
gold sink...

offer a 32x32 5 story plot to customize with optional 'hidden' foundation

i'd resub if i could build my own town lol.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OI............................. ok one more time with a bit more info... (I asked on it)

You are not getting a customized plot.
This will be like the original houses of old, once the design is chosen that is how it will look period.
You will not be able to change a wall or door, or add in any other feature.
This will be an AS IS House.
What your asked for is a design of a "castle" from any size footprint that falls on or under the 31 x 31 size of the existing castle footprint.
This means if you find you do not need a full 31x31 you can make it smaller but not larger.
You do this on paper, an mapping program, what ever floats your boat.... but design the different floors and doors how you want. You can add in different windows, stairs, arches, front steps and even teleporter pads. All the features of a house that a bare wall castle should be in your design.
Stone can be changed color.. as in sandstone, pearl marble, white marble, deep granite etc..
You can go up to 5 floors this 5th is the roof you can ether wall up or do it fancy.
Your design can be 2 floors to 5 floors. Its all up to you.
You can have a courtyard in the bottom floor as we do now in any place on the this floor, this will let the tree or other obsticle come in as the castle first floor does now.
I will stress this one point.
This is a structure your mapping out not a plot.
Our original houses are structures in a grid just as she (mesanna) is asking you to design a few different for their selection if well done, then they add them to the house placement tool's menu.
Once the chosen design(s) are added you may place it.
This means you will have to tear down your existing castle or keep if you find you like one of the chosen designs.
Just so your clear on this.
This is not a anniversary gift but a welcome upgrade to the house tool menu you have been invited to help design a new "castle" .

What you are being asked to produce is a blueprint of a castle from the first floor to the top floor, adding in all the components of a building of this nature.
The grid you have to work on is a max of 31 by 31 square.
You are not pinned down to this size. It may be of a smaller foorprint.
Take out a grid pad and start to create your idea of a castle, remember floors do not float!

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
OI............................. ok one more time with a bit more info... (I asked on it)

This will be like the original houses of old, once the design is chosen that is how it will look period.
What your asked for is a design of a "castle" from any size footprint that falls on or under the 31 x 31 size of the existing castle footprint.
This means if you find you do not need a full 31x31 you can make it smaller but not larger.
You do this on paper, an mapping program, what ever floats your boat.... but design the different floors and doors how you want. You can add in different windows, stairs, arches, front steps and even teleporter pads. All the features of a house that a bare wall castle should be in your design.
Stone can be changed color.. as in sandstone, pearl marble, white marble, deep granite etc..
You can go up to 5 floors this 5th is the roof you can ether wall up or do it fancy.
You can have a courtyard in the bottom floor as we do now in any place on the this floor, this will let the tree or other obsticle come in as the castle first floor does now.
Our original houses are structures in a grid just as she (mesanna) is asking you to design a few different for their selection if well done, then they add them to the house placement tool's menu.
This means you will have to tear down your existing castle or keep if you find you like one of the chosen designs.
This is not a anniversary gift but a welcome upgrade to the house tool menu you have been invited to help design a new "castle" .

What you are being asked to produce is a blueprint of a castle from the first floor to the top floor, adding in all the components of a building of this nature.
Take out a grid pad and start to create your idea of a castle, remember floors do not float!
Respectfully, Lady Storm, you are a player just like the rest of us. As far as I've seen, none of the details you are offering here have been made publicly available from official sources. Do you have an official reference for this that we can see directly?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I'd like to know just how you are getting this information????? Why isn't it being given to everyone..... and why are you so privy to it????

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
A lot of Castles are owned by people that don't play anymore but keep their subs running incase they ever want to come back.
As for buying a castle, as I said in another post it's now 1 platinum upward on Europa (price increased the same day they released the post about new castles) so no, it's not available to everyone.
Just because you can place one on a dead shard doesn't mean you can class it as available to all. We all know there are only 2 or 3 shards in this game anymore, the rest are for scripting.
And you can bet if that's the case they're paying for one month and getting 3 free.... Just saying....

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

That really sounds like they're headed for a plan that leaves 1/2 the current castle owners out. Why bother? I have a 31x31 now, why go smaller? It's just starting to sound like another big UO waste of time. Hopefully castle owners don't get hosed again.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
does the new castle print have to stay 31 x 31 why not drop it between maybe 29 x29 ---- or maybe 27x27.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'd like to see new plot be something larger than a keep but smaller than a castle. I also wouldn't mind seeing something bigger than a tower, but smaller than a keep. But if 31x31 is what the contest will result in, that's fine too.

Absolutely under no circumstances should a 31x31 customizable plot be the end result of this contest. The unthoughtful 18x18 borg cubes are ugly enough - we don't need castle sized ones. There are many creative minds left in UO who can do much better than this.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'd like to see new plot be something larger than a keep but smaller than a castle. I also wouldn't mind seeing something bigger than a tower, but smaller than a keep. But if 31x31 is what the contest will result in, that's fine too.

Absolutely under no circumstances should a 31x31 customizable plot be the end result of this contest. The unthoughtful 18x18 borg cubes are ugly enough - we don't need castle sized ones. There are many creative minds left in UO who can do much better than this.
You can make a cube now with a 31x31. I was thinking of doing exactly that. Now that this possibility is circulating I'll wait and see what happens. But if Mesanna can't pull this off in a way that works for me expect to see a really really BIG.... Huuuuuge castle lol. Basically it's silly to say this guy with his 18x18 cube with 5 floors is ok while OMG this 31x31 cube no way! lol Weak sauce argument.... something along the lines of this one for sale over in the trade forms somewhere.

Castle4.png

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd also appreciate if Lady Storm stopped acting as if she has some official knowledge.

All its doing is causing more confusion.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Lady Storm Exactly what do you mean by "tear down"? Empty it of all deco and added stone? Ty for your time.
The new designs will be on the tool for house placement.
So if you like one of the designs your option is ether open another account or take down your existing home an place the one you like.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The new designs will be on the tool for house placement.
So if you like one of the designs your option is ether open another account or take down your existing home an place the one you like.
For many castle owners taking down their home and replacing it may not be an option

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd also appreciate if Lady Storm stopped acting as if she has some official knowledge.

All its doing is causing more confusion.
Well if some of you came to the meet and greets and paid attention and asked questions and READ the log in messages.
Oh and read the post on uo.com you might get the drift of whats up.
Also in my 20 years in UO I have built up enough castles to know their size, height and 99% of all the downfalls of such a big building.
I have many times used graph paper to plot out house deco designs for my castles which number around 25ish. I have done my homework.
The new stone and the limits I read of height come in to mind as this too can and most likely will enter the limit of how many floors... it don't take a university degree to figure this out.
Capt. I understand that but this is how it reads. These designs will be prebuilt perma construction houses on the tool like the classic houses are. As it looks like in the message. Btw that pic is nice looking of what I can see of it, great design with what we got in stone.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well if some of you came to the meet and greets and paid attention and asked questions and READ the log in messages.
Oh and read the post on uo.com you might get the drift of whats up.
Also in my 20 years in UO I have built up enough castles to know their size, height and 99% of all the downfalls of such a big building.
I have many times used graph paper to plot out house deco designs for my castles which number around 25ish. I have done my homework.
The new stone and the limits I read of height come in to mind as this too can and most likely will enter the limit of how many floors... it don't take a university degree to figure this out.
Capt. I understand that but this is how it reads. These designs will be prebuilt perma construction houses on the tool like the classic houses are. As it looks like in the message. Btw that pic is nice looking of what I can see of it, great design with what we got in stone.
I've read the meet and greet logs, I've read the login message, I've read the announcement here, and uo.com

Apparently you haven't because the login message, announcement here and on uo.com ARE THE SAME!

You are putting forth information that has not been given officially, and it is causing confusion. You are not a person of authority on the subject.
Lady Storm said:
You are not getting a customized plot. Says who?
This will be like the original houses of old, once the design is chosen that is how it will look period. Says Who, Says Where?
What your asked for is a design of a "castle" from any size footprint that falls on or under the 31 x 31 size of the existing castle footprint. Where is this information from an official source?
This means if you find you do not need a full 31x31 you can make it smaller but not larger. Where is this information from an official source?
You can go up to 5 floors this 5th is the roof you can ether wall up or do it fancy. Where is this information from an official source?
Your design can be 2 floors to 5 floors. Its all up to you. Where is this information from an official source?
This is a structure your mapping out not a plot. What?
This means you will have to tear down your existing castle or keep if you find you like one of the chosen designs. Where is this information from an official source?
This is not a anniversary gift but a welcome upgrade to the house tool menu you have been invited to help design a new "castle" . Weird, because Mesanna's own OFFICIAL words say this, and I quote: I think putting in new castle designs for our 20th year would be something great to do"

You are not pinned down to this size. It may be of a smaller foorprint. This has not been stated or implied anywhere
The ONLY information officially released is they are looking for 3 standout castle designs, send them to mesanna. That is it.

You are full of misinformation, and making a whole lot of assumptions. You don't know anything more than the rest of us. Stop acting like you do.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Resize a castle? Or drop and replace with a new design? Either way stinks. Well good to know . It was a fun idea for awhile. Why is there always a nasty catch with this game. :(

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Resize a castle? Or drop and replace with a new design? Either way stinks. Well good to know . It was a fun idea for awhile. Why is there always a nasty catch with this game. :(
I cannot wait for release date, we'll have castle owners that cannot replace their old castle due to improper placement ,
and not to mention all the stealthers that will be hidden around castles using scripts to steal/place a new castle before the owner can.
Let's not forget the "no build timer" on plots that have been destroyed.
Yeah.....will be a fun day. lol

PS. I personally think they will have to code in another option below "customise this plot" for castle owners to "use new design" so they don't risk losing their castle, not to mention the amount of crap that will need to go into a storage crate safely and not just drop to the floor blocking placement.
There are many problems which most of you are ignoring which need to happen "under the hood" for this to go smoothly and I personally don't think they are upto the task.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Capt. I understand that but this is how it reads. These designs will be prebuilt perma construction houses on the tool like the classic houses are. As it looks like in the message.
The message reads....

Greetings all,
I know we have all talked about this before but I think putting in new castle designs for our 20th year would be something great to do. So we the team would like to have any designs from you guys. Looking for 3 stand outs to use. If you have any ideas or just like to design houses send them to me at [email protected].
Thanks in advance!

Design a castle and e-mail it to me....that's ALL she said....nothing about pre-fab, size, height, walls etc.

Everything else you are saying is just that..things YOU are saying...not her....what we are asking for is for HER to come here or post on uo.com the specifics of what the team is looking for.

Sure we can go back to some of the things she's said in the past...but this is NOW and it's kind of important if she's serious about this. She gave us very little information in that post and we just want more..FROM HER.

Thank you for being so passionate about all of this...but we need official statements with more clarification, that's all.

And if it is true that we'd have to tear down our existing castle....99% of the people who own one will NOT do that...so I seriously doubt this is their intention...which is why we need HER to give us more details.

I would love to have a new design, but if it means taking my existing castle down? Not gonna happen.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I cant even think why all of you are still argueing about this.

Honestly. Thats wasting time. Unfortunately Mesanna wants only prefabricated replacement of the ugly Castle.

It could be so simple.... Add keep and Castle to the converting and the House custom thingy and end of discussion.
Same like all other Houses with Same width and depth.

The poople like me who want to build a nice Little Town can do it in Peace.

Other who dont want to dont need to.

Let people choose what they want. If you @Mesanna are good with us give us 10℅ more storage in all Houses.

I dont worry about any trees. Let them Stick through the plot. Iam sure WE housebuilder Cover this Up nicely.

In the end is all Code. Which can be changed. If your Guys dont get this done kam sure if you ask the Player some hi skiller in coding can do that for you.

Job done. Happy 20th anni.....

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I cant even think why all of you are still argueing about this.

Honestly. Thats wasting time. Unfortunately Mesanna wants only prefabricated replacement of the ugly Castle.

It could be so simple.... Add keep and Castle to the converting and the House custom thingy and end of discussion.
Same like all other Houses with Same width and depth.

The poople like me who want to build a nice Little Town can do it in Peace.

Other who dont want to dont need to.

Let people choose what they want. If you @Mesanna are good with us give us 10℅ more storage in all Houses.

I dont worry about any trees. Let them Stick through the plot. Iam sure WE housebuilder Cover this Up nicely.

In the end is all Code. Which can be changed. If your Guys dont get this done kam sure if you ask the Player some hi skiller in coding can do that for you.

Job done. Happy 20th anni.....
Yes, if given a chance we can work with anything. I had a tree so now I have an alligator moat ;)

tree.jpg

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
picture of castle.
*scroll scroll scroll scroll*
picture of castle.
*scroll scroll scroll scroll*
picture of castle.

less talking more pictures!!!!

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Respectfully @Lady Storm, you are a player. You are not a dev, nor are you an EM or anything else. (If you are, you are not making that information public, and so in our eyes, you are still simply a player.) If Mesanna or any other dev is communicating additional or confidential information to you directly, that is a problem. The devs need to be communicating any clarifications directly to the players at large, or minimally to a fansite that can distribute that information, not to a specific player. Throughout both this thread and my earlier thread, you have spoken as if you are essentially channelling @Mesanna, and in many cases, what you are claiming directly contradicts things that Mesanna herself has publically said in the past. Please clarify just where you are getting your information, and how it is that you seem to be attempting to speak for Mesanna, especially when what you've so far claimed she has said so directly coincides with your own personal opinions on this matter.

As for me, I still would like a bare plot on which players can build. Counter to what you've claimed, that IS a design; it's a blank design. Overblown borg-cube fears are fantasy; it's cheaper and easier to build a cube on the existing castle structure than on a bare plot. Rather, those of us who'd like a bare plot are those who'd be mostl ikely NOT to build a borg cube, as we're the ones who've already been building extra floors for years now, simply to be able to design from a blank slate. A bare plot would simply eliminate the wasted 3 floors of the predesigned castle that fall below the goza/paver level. Failing that, simply give us a basic 1 story box (for castle AND keep sizes) with no towers; at least then we could start much lower down, and we wouldn't have tiles at the edges of the towers where we cannot place a wall to fill the hole, as is the case with the current designs.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Respectfully @Lady Storm, you are a player. You are not a dev, nor are you an EM or anything else. (If you are, you are not making that information public, and so in our eyes, you are still simply a player.) If Mesanna or any other dev is communicating additional or confidential information to you directly, that is a problem. The devs need to be communicating any clarifications directly to the players at large, or minimally to a fansite that can distribute that information, not to a specific player. Throughout both this thread and my earlier thread, you have spoken as if you are essentially channelling @Mesanna, and in many cases, what you are claiming directly contradicts things that Mesanna herself has publically said in the past. Please clarify just where you are getting your information, and how it is that you seem to be attempting to speak for Mesanna, especially when what you've so far claimed she has said so directly coincides with your own personal opinions on this matter.

As for me, I still would like a bare plot on which players can build. Counter to what you've claimed, that IS a design; it's a blank design. Overblown borg-cube fears are fantasy; it's cheaper and easier to build a cube on the existing castle structure than on a bare plot. Rather, those of us who'd like a bare plot are those who'd be mostl ikely NOT to build a borg cube, as we're the ones who've already been building extra floors for years now, simply to be able to design from a blank slate. A bare plot would simply eliminate the wasted 3 floors of the predesigned castle that fall below the goza/paver level. Failing that, simply give us a basic 1 story box (for castle AND keep sizes) with no towers; at least then we could start much lower down, and we wouldn't have tiles at the edges of the towers where we cannot place a wall to fill the hole, as is the case with the current designs.
I've written Mesanna and she answered my questions in the past. I don't think Lady Storm is on the inside info track. She asked some questions and Mesanna answered her. But as I've learned in the past just because Mesanna throws you some information it really doesn't mean she's actually planning on doing or ends up doing whatever she says lol It's all fluid.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Regardless of where Lady Storm got her information - please stop the pile on. There are players who do have NDA information and other arrangements with Broadsword who probably get previewed some information. Stick to the topic please.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
That's my point; if Mesanna chooses to reply to a player, especially to the degree Lady Storm claims, that's just a private communication. When Mesanna and the other devs say or post something publically, there's a much different degree of expectation that that statement is 'official'. So if she's said one thing in public, but is telling Lady Storm something different in private, I'll still stick to what she's publicly said - and Lady Storm should not be coming here claiming to speak for Mesanna, regardless. Mesanna can speak for herself; all Lady Storm is doing at this point is confusing people.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
That's my point; if Mesanna chooses to reply to a player, especially to the degree Lady Storm claims, that's just a private communication. When Mesanna and the other devs say or post something publically, there's a much different degree of expectation that that statement is 'official'. So if she's said one thing in public, but is telling Lady Storm something different in private, I'll still stick to what she's publicly said - and Lady Storm should not be coming here claiming to speak for Mesanna, regardless. Mesanna can speak for herself; all Lady Storm is doing at this point is confusing people.
Not sure if you noticed but Mesanna isn't big on chatting with the players here lol If you have a specific question you should probably email her.

kaiya_uo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if you noticed but Mesanna isn't big on chatting with the players here lol If you have a specific question you should probably email her.
I have the first night she posted it, asking if there was any specific format, and size/height she wants us to use..... still waiting on a response as probably many people may have sent an email

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have the first night she posted it, asking if there was any specific format, and size/height she wants us to use..... still waiting on a response as probably many people may have sent an email
Well I guess on that note we have proof that Mesanna likes @Lady Storm more than @kaiya_uo ... Right @Merlin ?

Slippery slope that is. With already so many feeling like they aren't part of the clique...we now have a new clique emerging. The House Deco Insider Team.

/EDIT: No disrespect intended, and this is mainly sarcasm....to think that there is some special relationship with @Lady Storm about castle designs is laughable. She is clearly just spouting her interpretation of a 3 line announcement as gospel. And I have a hard time believing she has the info when surely a plethora of others have engaged Mesanna for info (not to mention this thread) and gotten nothing

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Typical UO and its community.

• Half arsed badly conveyed ambiguous communication by our half arsed producer.
  • No thought or direction as to how this will be achieved
  • Members of the community assuming a pompous self appointed position of authority
  • Mods defending them with what appears to be little justification
  • Castle owners with a self righteous sense of entitlement hijacking this with their own agenda for customisation
Jesus. What a frickin' mess. This game may be in its 20th year but little wonder its on its knees.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

• Members of the community assuming a pompous self appointed position of authority
  • Castle owners with a self righteous sense of entitlement hijacking this with their own agenda for customisation
Jesus. What a frickin' mess. This game may be in its 20th year but little wonder its on its knees.
Typical @The Craftsman and his UO is dying posts... Doom and gloom sayer since 2008 lol

Sad but true. If UO was a dog, they'd put it out of its mysery.
That was a bad analogy btw...
:facepalm:

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was a bad analogy btw...
It was a great analogy. Not only is it a dog, its an ugly, mangy old dog. Problem is people love it and hang on for dear life to it rather than doing the humane thing.

Last edited:

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Updated UO.com Posting: Looking for New Castle Designs – Ultima Online

From Mesanna on UO.com
Good Afternoon Everyone,

Let me see if I can’t clear up some confusion. Please remember we have not finalized any plans as of this date but here is what we are thinking.

1. Castle would have the same footprint
  2. The design would still be considered a prefab house
  3. You would be able to access the design via the tool for original placement or via the house sign for a change in design. We are still working out what happens to items inside the house so stay tuned for upcoming announcements.
  4. When you submit a design idea be very specific as to what you want.
  5. When the final 3 designs are picked we will name them after the designers in game.
I hope this clears up some of the confusion and please remember, these are subject to change the closer we get to actually putting the concept in game.

Thanks everyone and we look forward to seeing your ideas.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord

Dispiro Malas

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The original post at UO.com was updated and our RSS feed does not re-pull posts after they have already been pulled. Please see the now-stickied updated post here. I'm locking this to keep everyone on the same page. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.