• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Housing Reactivated

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Given that the population of PR is only about a million more than Houston proper, and 2 million LESS than the Metro Houston area (Houston plus its suburbs and satellite cities), it should be easier to do a search of the account database and selectively protect any accounts recently active on the island.

The blanket pause on housing was done when one huge area had already been hit, and all of Florida (almost 21 million people) was in the crosshairs of another hurricane. So, it looked like potentially 1/10 or more of the US population could be affected (counting the states along the coast north of Florida). PR is only about 1/100, and probably under-represented on UO compared to the 50 states (or even DC).

I'm not being insensitive, but suggesting the better way of handling it would be for EA or Broadsword to apply 90 day codes to all accounts on PR that have been active on July 1 or later. After all, they aren't going to be able to use the time they've paid for already, probably for the next 3-6 months. It would be more fair for everyone that way. The one that would probably object would be EA.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Given that the population of PR is only about a million more than Houston proper, and 2 million LESS than the Metro Houston area (Houston plus its suburbs and satellite cities), it should be easier to do a search of the account database and selectively protect any accounts recently active on the island.

The blanket pause on housing was done when one huge area had already been hit, and all of Florida (almost 21 million people) was in the crosshairs of another hurricane. So, it looked like potentially 1/10 or more of the US population could be affected (counting the states along the coast north of Florida). PR is only about 1/100, and probably under-represented on UO compared to the 50 states (or even DC).

I'm not being insensitive, but suggesting the better way of handling it would be for EA or Broadsword to apply 90 day codes to all accounts on PR that have been active on July 1 or later. After all, they aren't going to be able to use the time they've paid for already, probably for the next 3-6 months. It would be more fair for everyone that way. The one that would probably object would be EA.
if they're doing that they should say so. they didn't. only safe 2 assume they aren't.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I never said they were - I was suggesting that they consider it - especially since PR's circumstances are several magnitudes worse than Texas or Florida.
(Hell, on the drive to Herndon for the Anniversary, I passed a convoy of utility trucks returning to NEW BRUNSWICK, that had gone to Florida or Texas to help with utility restoration - a long drive, but at least DOABLE for Harvey and Irma recovery; PR's location on the other hand)

The real question is if Broadsword wanted to do such a thing, would the greed of EA (who controls many more aspects than you would imagine, but most importantly the revenue stream, which is why you buy Sovereigns from EA, not Broadsword) allow it?

Did you not comprehend what I said, or do you just get a perverse pleasure in misrepresenting what others say, and hope the lie outlives the truth?

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
Well, I can say this for sure... they paused the "House Server" for 30 days, but everybody thought that by doing that, houses that would collapse on Sept 20, would now collapse Oct 20 and That is Not what is happening!!
so imagine if normally We would have 5 or 6 Idocs per day, because they turned OFF for 30 days, now we have 5 X 30 days, so pretty much you will have 150+ Houses, per shard, falling this week, so you do the math!

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Well, I can say this for sure... they paused the "House Server" for 30 days, but everybody thought that by doing that, houses that would collapse on Sept 20, would now collapse Oct 20 and That is Not what is happening!!
so imagine if normally We would have 5 or 6 Idocs per day, because they turned OFF for 30 days, now we have 5 X 30 days, so pretty much you will have 150+ Houses, per shard, falling this week, so you do the math!
So its a guess. Not a confirmed number for a shard or all shards.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry. I'm not sure I understand.

What went wrong?

Just because folks thought something, doesn't mean it was going to happen.

They've turned of housing before and what currently is happening happened then also.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm sorry. I'm not sure I understand.

What went wrong?

Just because folks thought something, doesn't mean it was going to happen.

They've turned of housing before and what currently is happening happened then also.
Yep...I remember the last big house fall.....back when Hooded Shroud of Shadows was a thing...had like 12 of them in my beetle and someone placed a house on top of it and it poofed :/

But yeah....Big House Fall 2.0....or 3.0 I think?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Isn't this pretty much what was expected to happen? I'm not surprised at all, they were past their time to fall and now the timer has come back they all just got bunched up.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hooded Shroud of Shadows was a thing...had like 12 of them in my beetle and someone placed a house on top of it and it poofed :/
Sheesh! That is just too Wizard of Oz....no ruby slippers or anything though! :(

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I never said they were - I was suggesting that they consider it - especially since PR's circumstances are several magnitudes worse than Texas or Florida.
(Hell, on the drive to Herndon for the Anniversary, I passed a convoy of utility trucks returning to NEW BRUNSWICK, that had gone to Florida or Texas to help with utility restoration - a long drive, but at least DOABLE for Harvey and Irma recovery; PR's location on the other hand)

The real question is if Broadsword wanted to do such a thing, would the greed of EA (who controls many more aspects than you would imagine, but most importantly the revenue stream, which is why you buy Sovereigns from EA, not Broadsword) allow it?

Did you not comprehend what I said, or do you just get a perverse pleasure in misrepresenting what others say, and hope the lie outlives the truth?
*frowns* A personal attack from a moderator is a disturbing thing indeed.

I misrepresented nothing. You offered a suggestion as to how they might wish to proceed. I said "if they were doing anything like this, they would have said so." I offered no commentary on the worth of your suggestion, nor implied that you'd said they were doing such a thing.

You then turned around and made a personal attack that likely would've gotten any non-moderator sanctioned, accusing me of misrepresenting your post.

I misrepresented nothing and, since you seem to have assumed I was commenting on the worth of your suggestion even though I wasn't, I may as well do so anyway: There isn't any. And this is why.

The population of the area they're concerned with has no bearing -- rather it's the size of the database and how many results they get. If they could query person by person in this manner at all (and while I would like to think they could....), it's difficult to imagine their database being so crappy that it couldn't search as easily "77001" (one of Houston's zip codes, per Google) as they could for "00901" (one of San Juan's zip codes, per Google). How many results could they possibly have? If we had 0 players from Houston, the result would still be 0. If we had 25,000 players from Houston, the result would still be 25,000, regardless of the population of Houston. If the population of UO were 100,000, and 99,000 of us came from Houston, then the maximum result would be 99,000, regardless of how big Houston is.

UO at its peak had, according to press releases of the day, about 400,000 subscribers or so. According to accounts of the 20th anniversary celebration they credit themselves with a million or two separate accounts (I forget exactly what they said) turned on and off at some point during the last 20 years. That's not that large a database to search if they could do so capably at all.

However: It's rather clear they can't, because they did the same thing (just shut off decay for awhile) after 9-11.

Ultimately the long and the short of it is that either EA thinks it has no players of this property (referring to UO) in Puerto Rico, or does not care about them, or some perverse combination of both.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't this pretty much what was expected to happen? I'm not surprised at all, they were past their time to fall and now the timer has come back they all just got bunched up.
I think the point was this:

There is a difference from a pause that resumes on the normal course of business: ie if it was normally 5-6 per day, then it would resume with 5-6 per day... and a pause that gets caught up in the first week it’s turned back on, 150+ in one week.

This pause did the the second example when I think most were expected the first example. In the second example ONLY the houses that would have fallen during the pause get a break. Under the first example ALL houses on inactive accounts would have gotten an extra 30 days.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Merus I hear what you're saying, but logic has not often prevailed in UO therefore what happened was pretty much what most of us expected to happen, that is, the thing that made the least logical sense and caused the most chaos....;)