• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Greenlite UO on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is great news! I've just voted.

However I think maybe a better video? You can see from the comments on the page already that people don't seem to think its Ultima Online! Maybe something with gameplay footage would be better?

Here is an example "Erm... Ultima Online!??? Erm... This is not Ultima Online... Wtf?"

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah. Cool. Really.

But...

BUT... there are people out there who really like to vote for UO on Steam (like me), but with a newbie-account (like 10 minutes old) you simply cannot vote - because you need to buy, micro-transact, whatever on your steam account first, before you can vote... what?!

No, sorry, I won't and cannot do that, not if I even love UO (been playing for the last ~ 13 years, but probably its not enough, right?) - its just like Facebook or some other social cra... stuff... nobody needs this!

Just... build up a fine and easy shop for UO, GTCs and addons yourself, share the links, keep the links always up and don't count on social media cr** like this!!!

Really... PLEASE!!!

Last edited:

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great news!

I got a tweet from MMORPG.com about DaoC steam vote but when you go to the site on MMORPG they have no news of UO Steam which I thought was odd.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yeah. Cool. Really.

But...

BUT... there are people out there who really like to vote for UO on Steam (like me), but with a newbie-account (like 10 minutes old) you simply cannot vote - because you need to buy, micro-transact, whatever on your steam account first, before you can vote... what?!

No, sorry, I won't and cannot do that, not if I even love UO (been playing for the last ~ 13 years, but probably its not enough, right?) - its just like Facebook or some other social cra... stuff... nobody needs this!

Just... build up a fine and easy shop for UO, GTCs and addons yourself, share the links, keep the links always up and don't count on social media cr** like this!!!

Really... PLEASE!!!
Yeah this message I got was discouraging.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah. Cool. Really.

But...

Really... PLEASE!!!

Steam has over 65million active users, and is the MAIN launch platform for the MAJORITY of PC Games.

The reason a brand new steam account cant vote is simple, to prevent abuse of the Greenlight system. A Developer could just create tons of accounts over and over and vote for themselves to be put on Steam. You have to actually be a Steam user to vote, and to be a steam user you have to actually, ya know, USE Steam (Aka buying a game, or registering a game for example).

This is NOT social media, alot of PC Games NEED Steam to even launch. Many Indie games DEPEND on Steam to even make a profit since again, Steam has 65million users.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah. Cool. Really.

But...

Really... PLEASE!!!
You're comparing Steam to Facebook and other social media sites? I'm sorry, but I am not following...
I have a Steam account and the only thing I do on it is play games. I don't use it for "social purposes" like one would do on Facebook. Not even sure if it has the same features as a social media site, :p

As for not being able to vote because of a new account, it makes sense. They have to have some way to counter abuse by people who would make dozens of accounts for voting. Maybe you could fix it by obtaining a free game?

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EDIT: Tons of great new pictures up on the greenlight page now. Way to go UO

This is the biggest exposure UO will have had since having boxes on store shelves.
Agreed. Those screen shots need to be taken down immediately and replaced with literally anything that shows something about the game.

Possible good ones:

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Steam has over 65million active users, and is the MAIN launch platform for the MAJORITY of PC Games.

The reason a brand new steam account cant vote is simple, to prevent abuse of the Greenlight system. A Developer could just create tons of accounts over and over and vote for themselves to be put on Steam. You have to actually be a Steam user to vote, and to be a steam user you have to actually, ya know, USE Steam (Aka buying a game, or registering a game for example).

This is NOT social media, alot of PC Games NEED Steam to even launch. Many Indie games DEPEND on Steam to even make a profit since again, Steam has 65million users.
You're comparing Steam to Facebook and other social media sites? I'm sorry, but I am not following...
I have a Steam account and the only thing I do on it is play games. I don't use it for "social purposes" like one would do on Facebook. Not even sure if it has the same features as a social media site, :p

As for not being able to vote because of a new account, it makes sense. They have to have some way to counter abuse by people who would make dozens of accounts for voting. Maybe you could fix it by obtaining a free game?
Then why is there not one simple link to click somewhere to download the mentioned "free games" to get the right to vote?

I don't want to have to buy, download, micro-transact, whatever, spend hours on that website to just vote for UO... and yes, this is some sort of social media type hype - "everybody has to get an account, otherwise, you can't do or be something".

Oh. Really?

For a longtime player like me, it just feels wrong, thats all I'm saying. All this new-hype-register-there-and-that-for-just-being-able-to-vote-stuff... come on. Please. It's just annoying.

And you don't get my vote this way, its simple like that, your loss, not mine. *shrugs*

BTW: I'm playing games (on-/offline) for more than 20 years and never needed Steam before, so... well.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then why is there not one simple link to click somewhere to download the mentioned "free games" to get the right to vote?

I don't want to have to buy, download, micro-transact, whatever, spend hours on that website to just vote for UO... and yes, this is some sort of social media type hype - "everybody has to get an account, otherwise, you can't do or be something".

Oh. Really?

For a longtime player like me, it just feels wrong, thats all I'm saying. All this new-hype-register-there-and-that-for-just-being-able-to-vote-stuff... come on. Please. It's just annoying.

And you don't get my vote this way, its simple like that, your loss, not mine. *shrugs*
Do you realize Steam came out in 2003?

http://store.steampowered.com/

Its really not that hard. I mean, you must not have bought or played a game on your PC in years.

Damn Sony having to make me use my Playstation for Ps4 games! God, I need a Playstation account to play online? Social Media garbage

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I clicked on continue reading I get page not found.

Question if Uo goes steam will I have to open a Steaming account to play Uo?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You don't have to have a Steam account to play UO, so it doesn't harm existing players. Meanwhile, it greatly expands UO's visibility, potentially drawing new players.

It benefits the game with no harm to existing players. I'm baffled what the controversy is.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I clicked on continue reading I get page not found.

Question if Uo goes steam will I have to open a Steaming account to play Uo?
No. There's no benefit and only drawbacks to making it launch exclusively through Steam.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't have to have a Steam account to play UO, so it doesn't harm existing players. Meanwhile, it greatly expands UO's visibility, potentially drawing new players.

It benefits the game with no harm to existing players. I'm baffled what the controversy is.
Because you could put a post "the sky is blue" on stratics and people would argue about it just for the sake of arguing. and because people playing a 20 year old video game are a bit slow to embrace new things lol.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Oh. Really?

BTW: I'm playing games (on-/offline) for more than 20 years and never needed Steam before, so... well.
Just navigate the darn site yourself and find a free game. It isn't hard.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I voted, although it is kind of nuts that a game as well-known as UO has to go through the Greenlight process.
Lol, those were my thoughts as well especially considering Steam had no problem with War Z aka Infestation: Survivor Stories aka one of the worst games ever.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awesome news!! Voted ofc.

Steam has close to 70 million total accounts. Around 3-5 million people online at any given moment.
If/when Ultima Online gets through greenlight and sees even brief, occasional appereances on the display window of Steam, it means that what... 10 million people who both buy and play PC games see it every day. When was the last time UO has had even remotely comparable visibility?

With these millions of potential customers in mind, please make sure UO's page on Steam looks awesome. When talking about UO and listing it's features, focus on things few/no other MMO has. Talk about housing, player held auctions. Talk about rare festivals and culture around rare items. Talk about guild alliances. Talk about player vendors and writing books in-game. Remember to remind everybody at every turn how UO was one of main inspirations behind Eve Online.

Please use very well chosen Screenshots from player events, roleplaying events (actual RP events, not EM stuff where 200 dragons are killing stuff) Please be careful of screenshots that have 20000 dragons or screen. Please be careful of screenshots that are full of CORP POR AN NOX KAL VAS FLAM - spam. It looks bad and weird as hell in eyes of somebody not familiar with the game.

Last edited:

DanteSignas

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No controversy. I think it's just folks looking for a reason to complain. Not to be rude but the guy who went on and on about social media etc etc obviously has no idea what steam is or is about and made uneducated remarks about it. That's all well and good to not know but I believe he or anyone else should really investigate steam instead of disparaging it.

DanteSignas

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because you could put a post "the sky is blue" on stratics and people would argue about it just for the sake of arguing. and because people playing a 20 year old video game are a bit slow to embrace new things lol.
Exactly this. Good call.
There are other games in the world beside UO.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Steam Users: Please vote!

Non-Steam Users: Don't worry! You won't need Steam to participate in UO. This is just a chance to market to a broader audience, which will help populate shards and support the longevity of UO.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I put out the word to my "kids" to please vote for UO on Steam...... so far I have 6 votes for UO. *grins*

See you don't have to have steam to get votes for UO. You just have to know people who know people who use steam.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I for one will not be voting for steam. I will give one of my many reasons, I live on the west and prefer to play east coast servers (really the only populated servers) and use a gaming proxy so I can move at a somewhat normal speed. Steam does not allow this so I would be stuck either lagging my a@# off on east coast shards or play dead obsolete west coast shards. Be sure to know what your getting into before you vote for steam.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I for one will not be voting for steam. I will give one of my many reasons, I live on the west and prefer to play east coast servers (really the only populated servers) and use a gaming proxy so I can move at a somewhat normal speed. Steam does not allow this so I would be stuck either lagging my a@# off on east coast shards or play dead obsolete west coast shards. Be sure to know what your getting into before you vote for steam.
Just want to dispel this misinformation. You will be able to launch via the downloadable client, regardless of whether it is offered on Steam. To rephrase, voting for its appearance on Steam only helps--it doesn't change how existing users access UO.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just want to dispel this misinformation. You will be able to launch via the downloadable client, regardless of whether it is offered on Steam. To rephrase, voting for its appearance on Steam only helps--it doesn't change how existing users access UO.
OK, I assumed it was steam only, if this is the case I see nothing wrong and think it will be a good tool for attracting players.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This is a huge opportunity for UO and the UO community. It in no way I can see can be detrimental for anyone! what you pay for UO is the same it costs you nothing to sign up and it gets UO to millions of people. So anyone who wishes UO to grow and bring more people in this is it!

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

What I wanted to hear thank you. but I would of signed up if I had to to play Uo.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Why ask our opinion doesn't this go without saying to get it? or is there a commission they requiring?
It's the way Steam's Greenlight works. Enough votes, the game gets to be downloaded/managed via Steam.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Voted and made a few positive comments. Good luck, Broadsword! Be a great way to get exposure.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Voted. But why does a game as old and well known as UO have to go through Greenlight, which is typically reserved for new and indie games from small publishers? Sony was able to get Everquest 1 and 2 and all their library of games directly onto steam without needing to go through Greenlight.

Also, on Languages they put in English and Japanese. Are we forgetting we also have Chinese and Korean shards?

Last edited:

Dimitroff

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Either Steam mail support is currently broken or I am missing something. I have a steam account for years and I am currently logged in via the steam client.
But when I click on the link to vote through the browser, Steam asks me to log in and when I log in, it says it has to send me a key on my mail.
I have received no mail from Steam whatsoever, no matter how many times I try to log in.
I have absolutely no desire to contact support and go through all that hassle just to click on vote button.
Either sort out a user-friendly interface, so people can one or two click vote for you or call Steam and have them fix their mail authentication problems.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.