• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Exploiting Game Mechanics

If you box in any mob with impassable items
What does this mean?

Sorry if I sound like a n00b, because I am but I ain’t. I used to play UO a long, long time ago. As in the last millennium. IIRC (and memory is still good, despite all the puff puff) I played on the Atlantic shard. Lord, the crazy **** we used to do, all in order to pay homage to the Lord of Boredom.

My roommate’s girlfriend was bugging the crap outta me, so I created a new player and made it look just like her. Then I macro’ed the hell outta her in Tinkering. Then I’d hop into Atlantic, ICQ my buddy ShockG, and head on over to the cemetery. Shock would hide next to a chest, then I’d trap it. Eventually someone shows up looking to fight some NPC monsters. While waiting they’d see what’s inside the chest. BOOM.

You are Dead

Shock is looting the corpse and the ghost is pancakes OooooOoOooOOOOOoooooo! OOOooo!

I’m laughing my ass off, but I get hold of myself so I can cut up his corpse. After that fateful day, the word spread fast. Citizens of Atlantic, BEWARE of Michelle’s exploding box.

Lmao, Good times.

So, now that I’ve reminisced, what do they mean by boxing in a mob with impassible items?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What does this mean?

Sorry if I sound like a n00b, because I am but I ain’t. I used to play UO a long, long time ago. As in the last millennium. IIRC (and memory is still good, despite all the puff puff) I played on the Atlantic shard. Lord, the crazy **** we used to do, all in order to pay homage to the Lord of Boredom.

My roommate’s girlfriend was bugging the crap outta me, so I created a new player and made it look just like her. Then I macro’ed the hell outta her in Tinkering. Then I’d hop into Atlantic, ICQ my buddy ShockG, and head on over to the cemetery. Shock would hide next to a chest, then I’d trap it. Eventually someone shows up looking to fight some NPC monsters. While waiting they’d see what’s inside the chest. BOOM.

You are Dead

Shock is looting the corpse and the ghost is pancakes OooooOoOooOOOOOoooooo! OOOooo!

I’m laughing my ass off, but I get hold of myself so I can cut up his corpse. After that fateful day, the word spread fast. Citizens of Atlantic, BEWARE of Michelle’s exploding box.

Lmao, Good times.

So, now that I’ve reminisced, what do they mean by boxing in a mob with impassible items?
In short you can’t use items to trap monsters/mobiles.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Anyone knows if blocking your own pet is legal or not ? If character (tamer) will be exposed to mob melee damage

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Are you blocking a mobile ? Yours or not illegal
I'd be curious about how granular this goes. I've seen people block their nightmares (or other casting pet) in the Tok mines to cast on a shadow ele (I've done that one myself) and I've also seen them get 2 boats and have pets cast on each other. We could probably take it one step farther... what about people going to Eodon and teleporting across the pond so their pet can gain healing (mobs are essentially blocked from doing melee damage).

This is probably one of the dumbest enforcements of a rule I've ever heard of.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'd be curious about how granular this goes. I've seen people block their nightmares (or other casting pet) in the Tok mines to cast on a shadow ele (I've done that one myself) and I've also seen them get 2 boats and have pets cast on each other. We could probably take it one step farther... what about people going to Eodon and teleporting across the pond so their pet can gain healing (mobs are essentially blocked from doing melee damage).

This is probably one of the dumbest enforcements of a rule I've ever heard of.
I don't disagree with the stupidity of rules enforcement lately but blocking the mare illegal the other two are not

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Putting your pet in Brit stables was deemed illegal so I would say yes building a blockade around yourself or your pet to train them would be illegal. Use the stay command to make your pet not attack you. Technically putting your pet on a boat/island would fall under this as the MOBs are not able to attack your pet physically. This one is a gray area.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Putting your pet in Brit stables was deemed illegal so I would say yes building a blockade around yourself or your pet to train them would be illegal. Use the stay command to make your pet not attack you. Technically putting your pet on a boat/island would fall under this as the MOBs are not able to attack your pet physically. This one is a gray area.
Being out of reach not illegal or no one could train at acid slugs

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Being out of reach not illegal or no one could train at acid slugs
Who said this was legal, just because it is not enforced does not mean it is legal. There were spots in most dungeons way back when that you could teleport into so MOBs could not touch you and UO blocked them, so if it was legal then why did they block them.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Who said this was legal, just because it is not enforced does not mean it is legal. There were spots in most dungeons way back when that you could teleport into so MOBs could not touch you and UO blocked them, so if it was legal then why did they block them.
I guess it's something that we'll never know until they randomly start banning people

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think player created barriers represent the problem. Whether it’s bagballs, houses, etc. Using natural terrain or naturally occurring spawn is (or should be) legal.

Fighting from a boat is perfectly legal if you’re hunting pirates… not sure why it would be any different fighting any other mob. However, trapping a mob on your own boat would likely be illegal.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So what category would stam blocking mobs fall into?
It doesn’t really matter. The game is abandonware. There is an excellent Reddit thread from the former PEC Wraith that went under the name HermitTurtle or something similar. This discusses at length the current state of the game albeit the thread is a year old by now. I won’t go into much about it but it’s an interesting read.

This said today I cancelled my accounts and dropped both houses. Maybe I’ll be back, maybe I won’t.

Good luck in game!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are attended in the slugs you are fine, plenty of GMs have been called there.

Didn't they not allow players to shoot from ships in Vesper during some event a long time ago? Said it was not intended to do it that way.

UO evolves so do rules.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn’t really matter. The game is abandonware. There is an excellent Reddit thread from the former PEC Wraith that went under the name HermitTurtle or something similar. This discusses at length the current state of the game albeit the thread is a year old by now. I won’t go into much about it but it’s an interesting read.

This said today I cancelled my accounts and dropped both houses. Maybe I’ll be back, maybe I won’t.

Good luck in game!
You got a link to this?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There use to be links at the bottom of UO.COM covering this stuff and more now alls that is there is the TOS

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Good luck in game!
If you like city building games, Pharaoh; A New Era came out this year. I spent a lot of hours playing the original.

I am about to buy it on Steam and play for a bazillion hours.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
that would be far to contradicting for me looks fun

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you like city building games, Pharaoh; A New Era came out this year. I spent a lot of hours playing the original.

Also Rimworld. I have been harvesting the organs of people who visit my settlement and selling them for cocaine. I didn't even set out to do it this time, but for some reason, that's how my Rimworld games always end up.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Thanks for the tip I’ll check it out. If you get to it before I do let me know how it is!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the tip I’ll check it out. If you get to it before I do let me know how it is!
A lot like the original, better graphics, music and more buildings. I am having fun already.