• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Enchantment of the Royal Sea Part 1

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
General
2013 Sep 04 16:54 GMT
The waves lapped against the side of the BSV Menagerie as they made their way across the ocean, but Isaiah had eyes only for the storm front that cast shadows across their intended destination. It’d been two long months since he’d last seen Isabelle, and the ring he was twirling inside his pocket had taken most of his pay to buy…but he knew it was the perfect ring for her. It was everything he’d ever wanted to give her and knew she’d love it. The only problem was the look of the storm ahead…if it was as bad as it seemed, it could delay them from being able to use the pillar. “Waterspout to starboard! Hard to port, lads, and work them sails!” Isaiah’s voice rang strong out from the bow where he stood, and he turned to see the other crew swiftly moving into action to put them in a safe path.

Their journey towards the pillar was filled with strange sights…sea life seeming to be fleeing away from it, and the weather getting increasingly worse…darkening the afternoon skies to the dimly lit air of dusk in but a moment, and causing the once gentle swells to slam against the boat. “We’re almost there, boys, don’t slack now!”

“Isaiah, we’re not going to make it past that typhoon a-brewing! We have to call this off, and try to make for shore!” The captain’s voice had a pleading quality instead of an ordering one…being one of the few who knew Isaiah’s reason for wanting to get back so desperately.

“We can make it, Captain!” His reply was ripped away by the wind though as the storm suddenly surged to new heights. All the crew clung to whatever was closest to try and hang on, when a tremendous tearing and shredding noise ripped through the air, raising the hackles on their necks. An instant later the worst of the storm was gone…the typhoons had vanished…but the rain still pounded down and the waves crashed against their ship. As Isaiah worked to clear his vision and tried to catch sight of the Serpent Pillar again something caught his eye with a shock.

Ahead and to port was a vessel similar to many he’d seen before, though a few of the adornments were new to him; but that wasn’t what caught his attention…instead a splash of blood on the deck and the massive hole in the hull that was sucking in water did that. A moment later, however, it was seized by the sight of the dead body on the deck, and the realization that there may still be someone else inside.

There was no hesitation on Isaiah’s part, and he leapt to the edge of the decking, and dove towards the other boat. Pumping his arms through the water, he had a vague thought for the safety of the ring in his pocket, and quickly thrust his hand inside and grabbed it…slipping it onto one finger as far as it would go, and clenching the hand into a fist to protect it. He thought he heard voices shouting for him from the Menagerie, but he shoved them aside and focused on the task at hand as he came alongside the unknown ship.

With effort he managed to get onto the ship during a large swell, but it was already listing heavily…it would only be a matter of minutes before it threatened to sink beneath the ocean. He spared a glance to the bloodied body being pressed against the deckwall and shuddered as it looked as if it was not incidental damage, but some sort of blunt weapon used against it. He made his way to the cabin and swept the door open, to find yet another body…no, two more inside. They looked as if they had somehow been slammed against the walls and possibly even ceiling repeatedly, leaving it smeared with their blood. Blanching, he managed to close the door and prevent himself from retching with effort. With only one place left to check, he ran for the hold, even as the entire vessel tilted treacherously beneath his feet.

It took a massive effort to get the door to the hold open, and his eyes boggled at the sight…inside was an absolute horde of crates and treasures, but amidst it was one man, and though he had blood on him…he appeared to be breathing as he floated on his back in the shallow water starting to fill the hold. He began to head down into the hold when the entire vessel lurched in a sickening manner, and started to tip on end.

In a panic, Isaiah quickly reached for the man, extending his one hand down and grabbing for him desperately, but unable to haul him up with a single hand. Isaiah quickly grabbed him with both hands, the ship turning as he dragged him out. His own vessels crew was fighting to keep their ship from being swamped…and a cheer went up as they saw him emerging from the doomed vessel.

Gripping tightly, he hefted the unconscious and bloodied passenger of the ill-fated ship, pausing only at feeling a strange sensation along his finger…before realizing too late that it was the ring meant for Isabelle sliding off. Time seemed to slow to a crawl as he watched the glittering emerald ring drop through the air, to be missed by his attempt to snatch it, as it dropped into the sinking ships hold. For what felt like an eternity he held his gaze upon it, for a moment even considering dropping the unconscious man…but the Isaiah that Isabelle fell in love with wasn’t that kind of man. With a bitter fist seeming to hold tight to his heart, he scrambled across the ship into the water, carrying the one living passenger up to their own boat, and trying not to think about the loss of the ring.

“Who do ya suppose it is, Isaiah?”

Isaiah had hardly said a word since he’d returned and the BSV Menagerie had docked in Papua. As the healers looked over the unconscious man, Isaiah found himself staring at the strange clothes…trying to figure out the fabric. He’d never seen it’s like before, and the color was a new one as well... “Probably some sort of noble or merchant…hopefully we’ll get a reward for saving them. But let’s find out…there’s only one place it could have come from.”
Standing up, Isaiah headed onto the docks and shouted, “You there, Lad! Lad…how many ships left by way of the Serpent’s Pillar this eve?”

“Err…none, mate. There ain’t been a ship that wanted to brave the storm…frankly surprised yer all came out here as well.”

Continue reading...

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Me thinks this title received some wording from Back to the Future.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Looks like two wooden sharks... :p

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That looks cool even though it's the SA engine ;P

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have updated my signature because i will be writing the new story arc for Quest and event news again.

I will do it as before with many screenshots and in a way that it could be a used as a guide, where to go and what to find in case you are stuck or having problems finding the next part.

I'm working on it and doing the arc on TC1 but i won't post it before its live on all shards to spoil too much. :)

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh Em Gee!

Me smells an event arc! This makes me very very happy!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a new event arc..wow.... when was the last??? 2 yeas gone...woooow...lets get going...

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How funny this has happened. To me it looks like a "Champ Spawn at Sea". So the other night, I developed an on the water champ spawn. A little Island in the center for the Alter and bobbers for the skulls and a shoal of little islands so that you could only drive in the little boats from your big boats parked out in the deeper surrounding water. I hope this is something like that instead of just one time then dead event. FEEL FREE TO USE MY IDEA! I have no copyright on it!!!!!!

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The act seems to be designed to be something permanent, after going trough it all on TC.

(Spoiler) Who is it?

HP_Zoro_HP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Me thinks this title received some wording from Back to the Future.
LOL Ok I know this probly wouldn't ever happen but seeig as how low budget UO has become over the years it got me thinking... Could you imagine if someone came on here claiming that the words to a title or some essay that they created was originally from someone elses work and threatened to sue over plagerism or something lol... I'm sittin here thinkin (if thats even possible to sue over something like that lol) what would they even accomplish or earn by suing lol... Would UO take it's final hit or keep kicking?

Last edited:

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL Ok I know this probly wouldn't ever happen but seeig as how low budget UO has become over the years it got me thinking... Could you imagine if someone came on here claiming that the words to a title or some essay that they created was originally from someone elses work and threatened to sue over plagerism or something lol... I'm sittin here thinkin (if thats even possible to sue over something like that lol) what would they even accomplish or earn by suing lol... Would UO take it's final hit or keep kicking?

I think you guys saw to many movies and have wild imagenations.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Not sure but looks like at least one part seems to be anti-tamer :(

Don't look if ya don't want something possibly spoiled.

When you are doing the part in Ilsh Sorcerer's the Master Teacher can pop as a para. This is after the GD chomping on him for a good 8-10 minutes:

Master Teacher.jpg

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did you happen to get its resists? It sounds like the 95+ resist critters in deep Covetous, made 10 times worse.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yeah I saw them, just went back to try and get a shot of them but it seems to have poofed or someone else killed it. The resists were not the 95 deal tho. They were around 40ish or so. Which is what made me think they had decreased the damage pets can do.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If they did that, it is pretty bad. :(
I don't play tamers, but tamers should be a viable option for this arc.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
True. But it could have also just been an issue because it was a paragon.

*edit*

Yeah, it was just the paragon that was the problem. The normal version dropped normally.

Last edited:

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

When you are doing the part in Ilsh Sorcerer's the Master Teacher can pop as a para. This is after the GD chomping on him for a good 8-10 minutes:

There are just a lot of Paragons in that dungeon. They anti every classes :)

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did almost the whole first part of the act with a pure warrior and only the Dungeon in Ilshenar and Destard was too hard for me alone in melee combat. Everything else was doable. A small group can do this fine.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I am almost done with the items needed to return back to Helper in Trinsic. Only need the last one from Gypsy Camp boss but I do like the way they have made the fights for the Sword and Glasses.... Very interesting. They seemed to have put a TON of thought, time and work into this one.

*edit*
... and the Jewel.

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
One more Spoiler for our tamer friends

Was glad to see this. Then when I heard the noises it made I was fired UPPPP! ....

******HUGE SPOILER*******

... But was depressed once I found it and tamed it. The critter is tamable after you beat it down. It is a very powerful 2 slot pet. However once you try to take it to the surface it goes away once you get back on land. The first time I attempted it was still grey from pinching my rear lol... I was hoping it popped because it was grey. Went back and tamed a second one, waited on it to turn blue and it got the same result once I got back to land. Fun little rascals to have while you have them though. May go back and try a pet bonding potion on one ;)
New Crabby.jpg

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was glad to see this. Then when I heard the noises it made I was fired UPPPP! ....

******HUGE SPOILER*******

... But was depressed once I found it and tamed it. The critter is tamable after you beat it down. It is a very powerful 2 slot pet. However once you try to take it to the surface it goes away once you get back on land. The first time I attempted it was still grey from pinching my rear lol... I was hoping it popped because it was grey. Went back and tamed a second one, waited on it to turn blue and it got the same result once I got back to land. Fun little rascals to have while you have them though. May go back and try a pet bonding potion on one ;)

Could be a bug to report.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Could be a bug to report.
I am kinda hoping so. But then again, with the power they have (those stats are after it being para tamed) I would think they would need to be upped in control slots honestly. Consider the source when ya read that.... you know I am a tamer to the core LOL.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am kinda hoping so. But then again, with the power they have (those stats are after it being para tamed) I would think they would need to be upped in control slots honestly. Consider the source when ya read that.... you know I am a tamer to the core LOL.

Maybe they are ment to temporary used in the ship?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A few notes on the event content Spoilers:

Acquiring the payment for suit parts:
The summon dynamic on the mobs is interesting, but it could do with a bit of toning down as the mobs continually summon more helpers, eventually overrunning the area. Not everyone is going to do this part as a group, especially once the ”new event” smell wears off.
As it is now, this could be (read: WILL BE) easily used as a griefing tool. Whack the mob till it spawns helpers, lure them away and repeat. Until it's certain death for anyone entering the area. (Imagine this on Siege or in Fel)

The Ship:
(Wasn’t able to test this while in party yet)
The barrels…this is…fun? Destroyed 90% in various rooms before finding the key. Spawning several (so multiple groups can collect the components since no, not everyone is going to want to face the boss with strangers) would be a good idea. Also, keys should spawn in the pack and not on the floor. Especially if just anyone can then pick it up… (wasn’t able to test if this could happen…yet since being alone at the time, but just would seem like you can)

The Boss:
Aside from it being rather odd to see him again after the prior defeat… Nothing much to suggest, other then to slow him down. With the constant lag all the shards are perpetually suffering since the move to “the cloud,” overfast mobs can get needlessly aggravating especially for EC users.

Quest items:
Why all the timers? Some people like to collect things for deco, and none of these items are useable beyond that. Please remove the timers or give us a way to strip the “quest item” status from items so we can keep them (and nobody else could use them to jump ahead in their respective quest). Or give us a way to obtain them for deco perhaps spawning rarely but not stupidly rare on some of the "mini" bosses as a deco piece. (non timered) Many of us really think they look neat and would like to keep them as "trophies" of the quest.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe they are ment to temporary used in the ship?
I suspect this is probably the case.
After a heck of a lot of adjustments to taming skill I have determined that minimum to tame is 47.1 (47 gives 'you have no chance of taming that) Control slots = 2, so two of these could quite conceivably be a big help in taking down the boss - if you could keep them alive, since they wouldn't be bonded.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to sound like a skipping record, but do we have an Arcane Circle that gives the bonus outside of Prism on the Test Shard?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This was his response " The Paralithode behavior is similar to that of the Trap Door Spider in that they can burrow underground when trying to tame them, an added challenge in trying to tame these elusive sand dwellers.

The Paralithodes are meant to be used only in the area where they spawn. The idea is they provide the tamer with a creature to use in the area since you can't bring other pets into the final boss encounter. The reason being that Greater dragons everywhere makes it difficult to see the boss, the paralithodes do not have this problem."

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Paralithodes are meant to be used only in the area where they spawn. The idea is they provide the tamer with a creature to use in the area since you can't bring other pets into the final boss encounter. The reason being that Greater dragons everywhere makes it difficult to see the boss, the paralithodes do not have this problem."
Fair enough as far as it goes... but ...

If it's not more powerful than a GD - and if it is the same power make it the same control requirement - then why can't it be taken out of that area too? Won't add anything stronger to the tamer armoury, and the argument 'it's a less blocking graphic than the GD' applies everywhere else just as much as it does in this particular encounter.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Fair enough as far as it goes... but ...

If it's not more powerful than a GD - and if it is the same power make it the same control requirement - then why can't it be taken out of that area too? Won't add anything stronger to the tamer armoury, and the argument 'it's a less blocking graphic than the GD' applies everywhere else just as much as it does in this particular encounter.
Can only answer that in a spoiler... so....

They are not the same power as a GD. As of now they are only a 2 slot pet. The hp's are on par with a GD (950ish +/-) range but the damage they deal is less than what a GD will do. When you send two of them after a Water Elemental it takes about 2 hits each to kill it off. A GD would chomp a Water Elemental up in a bite or two. Once you have two of them the damage they do together is about the same damage a good GD would do imo.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can only answer that in a spoiler... so....
Thank you, very interesting to know - but I think my main question, why they can't be taken elsewhere, still stands. If the tradeoff of control slots to other top level pets is reasonably balanced (regardless of the number of pets, surely the important balance for 'fighting pets' is control slots/combat strength), and they don't do better than such top level pets, I simply can't see why you need limit their useable location, and the argument over graphics blocking the view is still just as valid everywhere in the game...

Creature created, graphics done, coding done.... why then restrict its use? This new encounter stops you bringing pets in, that's fine. You can tame these there, and only there, that's also fine. If you after taming them there and using them there, you take them out and - as with other pets- if you go back there you can't bring your existing pets with you and have to re-tame some more there again, can't see a big objection to that either. Stopping these being used anywhere else - to me, just silly.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the whole thing is actually a really good tamer's challenge. No sitting for weeks finding the best example then bonding and training it. No, you've pretty much got to go in there, grab a couple and go in to fight. Then leave them behind. Once you make them like other pets that challenge is going to vanish. Tamers will just do the usual thing - work the spawn till they get the best one, bond it, train it and then it's not the same challenge at all. But here we have to keep these unbonded pets alive for a fight, and two of them too. That is going to be quite a challenge to many tamers who are used to a big single GD that's bonded. Which is kinda why I like it, and probably why others don't hehehe. But I think this is a great little tamers challenge and I really hope they keep it as that. We have more normal pets than any tamer can use in a week, so one pet that has to remain in its natural environment is fine with me :)

Wenchy

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the whole thing is actually a really good tamer's challenge. No sitting for weeks finding the best example then bonding and training it. No, you've pretty much got to go in there, grab a couple and go in to fight. Then leave them behind. Once you make them like other pets that challenge is going to vanish.

Wenchy
Not quite what I'm arguing for though : each time you go there you would need to tame more for that particular trip, not that you keep bringing the ones you tame and bond back there - so the challenge for tamers will still be there at this encounter, but we also get a new pet out in the wider world too.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not quite what I'm arguing for though : each time you go there you would need to tame more for that particular trip, not that you keep bringing the ones you tame and bond back there - so the challenge for tamers will still be there at this encounter, but we also get a new pet out in the wider world too.
I realise you also want a pet out in the wider world, but to me it's a creature which belongs in and around the ocean so it would be a bit strange taking it to Luna bank :D Finally a UO pet that we can't keep, we get to play with it a bit then it goes back into the wild and scurries off. I like that, it mirrors being responsible with wild animals in RL. I know some players will say "but this is a game it doesn't have to mirror RL!" which is true, realism isn't necessary in a fantasy world. But that doesn't mean we can't put things like this into a game now and then which make RL sense, and if we're going to put a RL animal handling thing into UO, this is a great one to choose IMHO. Humans are great at taking creatures from the world and domesticating them, but not so good at leaving things wild where they belong, so having a creature that can't leave an area is something I welcome. Again, it is a game but I like seeing something like that in UO.

It also means devs aren't worrying about balancing the pet for all kinds of PvM and PvP. It can be whatever pet the devs want in that area because they don't have to consider tweaking it down for other areas. But being an ocean creature is enough reason for me to accept this. I wouldn't say no to more pets that can go anywhere, but we don't *need* that with so many other pets. One that stays put is 100% fine with me.

Besides, we don't know what is ahead of us here. There may be a different go-anywhere pet on our horizon. And if there isn't well I still think this is a fantastic tamers challenge. And to take that challenge the tamer has to go in that area, they can't just tame and take the pet out to play elsewhere. They can't buy it in Magincia. And the taming difficulty opens it up to beginner tamers too, it's something else you can do for gains and a cool challenge before you can bond up a GD :D

Wenchy

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The paragon is crazy...what I did was I just lured it off and spawned a new one. No way in heck I could figure out how to kill the paragon due to the regen rate.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quest takes forever, by the way. Must have been written by EM Dudley :p (I mean that affectionately, lol). Glad Frarc took some time post help. BTW, at the beetle things, you can just use teleport to get to the other side where the balron is.