• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Combat & Doom Artifacts Update to Test Center

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings All, We have updated TC1 based on the latest player feedback as of today 12/14/2016. These changes are currently active on TC1. These will not be deployed World Wide for quite some time and are subject to change. We wanted to give everyone interested a time to provide feedback, so head on over to TC1 and check them out! Here are a few of the updates: Weapon swing speed is now capped at 40% of base swing speed or 1.25 seconds, whichever is higher. Focus Spec no longer modifies the SDI cap Doom Upgrade artifacts available You can read all […]

Continue reading...

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Weapon swing speed is now capped at 40% of base swing speed or 1.25 seconds
Sure, get rid of 1.25s swing speed on composite bows. But with this SSI cap, composite bows now have a maximum swinging speed of 1.6 seconds.. which is not a swing increment used in this game. The SSI cap probably needs to be 45 instead of 40 or else you're really screwing with the maximum swing of basically any weapon over 3.5s swing time because of it being 40% instead of 45%.

These are the weapons that will be affected by this change (across PvM and PvP, only pointing out weapons that are regularly used):
  1. Double Axe (1.3s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25 before this change)
  2. Longsword (1.4s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25 before this change)
  3. No-Dachi (1.4s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25 before this change)
  4. War Hammer (1.5s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25 before this change)
  5. Hammer Pick (1.3s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25 before this change)
  6. Maul (1.4s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25s before this change)
  7. Bow (1.7s swing base, effectively 1.75s, was 1.5s before this change)
  8. Composite Bow (1.6s swing base, effectively 1.75s, was 1.25s before this change)
  9. Crossbow (1.8s swing base, effectively 2.0s, was 1.5s before this change)
  10. Elven Composite Longbow (1.5 swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25s before this change)
  11. Heavy Crossbow (2s swing base, effectively 2s, was 1.75s before this change)
  12. Yumi (1.3s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25s before this change)
  13. Lance (1.7s swing base, effectively 1.75s, was 1.5s before this change)
  14. Lajatang (1.4s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25s before this change)
  15. Cyclone (1.3s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25s before this change)
  16. Soul Glaive (1.6s swing base, effectively 1.75s, was 1.25s before this change)
So out of these 16 affected weapons, 2 will have a base swing speed at a number that you can actually swing at: War Hammer and Heavy Crossbow. Someone at Broadsword clearly didn't do the math.

Last edited:

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
  • 30 Tactics is required for Primary Moves
  • 60 Tactics is required for Secondary Moves
This makes no sense unless it can be modified skill.

• Weapon swing speed is now capped at 40% of base swing speed or 1.25 seconds, whichever is higher.

This now makes the speed of some weapons in-between achievable ticks. So you either need to go over or below. This make no sense

• Focus Spec no longer modifies the SDI cap
This is a huge nerf to the diversity of templates along with counter balancing template vs template. People will still just run Parry/Alchy/healing mages. Or they might drop Alchy for Scribe. ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE has been achieved here.

@Bleak in all seriousness, you guys were doing a great job but it just all went to ****. Why did you just completely go off topic and make all of these new changes???

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now to the people that complained about wep mages and parry mages being at 25% sdi, you effectively got them lowered to 20% sdi. Good job.

So, there is absolutely no reason to play a pure mage and novas are rendered useless.

-get rid of overcapping hit points for the love of god.

-have corpse work based off of spirit speak alone

-make pretty much any other change to novas then the one you chose.

-test any new hit properties you come up with cause they are going to be awful.

-You had the right idea the first time with tactics but seemed to listen to like one player post about how it shouldn't affect LMC. Back to square one.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the previous update was much better than this one...

The whole point of the "Tactics" requirement was so that other templates actually get played.

Focus spec is essentially being removed. (that's fine) - with all the restrictions on focus spec before, it was just removing the templates that weren't focused...

the cooldowns on the new doom artifacts (item procs) make an item that was already near-useless, completely useless.
But the bigger problem is: I'm not even sure why these new items were added into "combat changes" anyway... I mean, Dev's... aren't you trying to Balance what we have, and wouldn't it make sense to do that before adding in other things that potentially cause MORE imbalances?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This sucks. I was looking forward to making some new templates without the Tactics requirement. I guess not anymore.

I was liking the Tactics change, why did you add the requirement back on?

And the ssi thing? At a loss for words
very few templates would benefit from dropping tactics... (none of those templates are being played right now) which was the entire point of removing it, so that there would be a reason to play those templates.

-Well, that was short-lived.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This sucks. I was looking forward to making some new templates without the Tactics requirement. I guess not anymore.

I was liking the Tactics change, why did you add the requirement back on?

And the ssi thing? At a loss for words
People need to be careful reading this as swing speed increase isn't being changed.. it's the maximum swing speed of weapons in accordance with their base swing speed that is being changed. The biggest problem here is that there seems to have been no concern for the number chosen (in this case, 40% of base weapon speed or 1.25s), so there will be quite a few weapons that will now have a maximum swing speed that is not in a .25s increment. Get ready to see some weapons with completely useless swinging speeds because someone didn't run the math first.

For example:
  • Composite bow base swing speed - 4 seconds
  • 40% of 4 seconds is 1.6 seconds (higher than 1.25s so this is the new base swing speed)
  • Given that we can't swing at 1.6 seconds in this game, the effective maximum swinging speed of composite bows is 1.75s (up .5s from live at 211 stam, 55ssi, up .25s from live at 180 stam, 45 ssi)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
@Bleak

Weapon speed cap majorly screws with PVM. There are plenty of us who invested plenty in the 211 stam suits for PVM purposes, and this is a major DPS nerf. Are you making these changes in a bubble? At this point we have gone WAY off the rails.
I don't mind a SSI nerf for PVM if they pack it together with an awesome bonus for hll, hml, hit stam leech bonus for the weapons that get affected in PVM.
Otherwise I will be getting my torches and pitchforks to lynch them.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  • Focus Spec no longer modifies the SDI cap
This is a huge nerf to the diversity of templates along with counter balancing template vs template. People will still just run Parry/Alchy/healing mages. Or they might drop Alchy for Scribe. ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE has been achieved here.
It's a 20 SDI cap (before Inscription) regardless of focus spec. I don't hate it.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been saying since the beginning that a speed reduction will hurt the entire community and is a poor choice if implemented.
I stayed out of commenting since I don't PvP and honestly, Pvp'ers are the ones who really know what works/doesn't work in a fight, but composites and war hammers and double axes are my PvM weapons of choice. Who the heck asked for a reduction on max SSI, yeesh. If moving shot is the problem put a cool down between successive shots or something but please leave my DPS alone.

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
How am I supposed to kill these godly monsters with this ssi? Do you have any idea how many screen shot kills exodus is going to post of me on a certain board?

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Get rid of that new insane artifact club never speak of it again.

Either lower nova damage or just get rid of Nova because this new change basically rendered it useless

Don't allow this new buff to stack hpi leave the cap at 25.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
very few templates would benefit from dropping tactics... (none of those templates are being played right now) which was the entire point of removing it, so that there would be a reason to play those templates.

-Well, that was short-lived.
At least in the very first update, you had the option to not take Tactics and sacrifice the LMC bonus. Now even that option is off the table

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Get rid of that new insane artifact club never speak of it again.

Either lower nova damage or just get rid of Nova because this new change basically rendered it useless

Don't allow this new buff to stack hpi leave the cap at 25.
Yes! Please get rid of Bone Crusher. This thing should not exist in this game. Or at least reduce duration to 4 seconds

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
It's a 20 SDI cap (before Inscription) regardless of focus spec. I don't hate it.
Then you clearly don't understand that it changed absolutely nothing. I will still run my Parry healing mage with alchemy and all I will adjust is fitting a sash in there. Why? Since it looks like EVERYTHING needs to be broken down for you. Since there is no distinct advantage or choice in templates I will continue to run the most offensive and most defensive template in the game. Do people have a choice to run whatever combo they want? Sure! but that sure doesn't making it a ****ing good choice.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The only swing speed change I've ever heard to bandied about is to cap composite bows at 1.5s instead of 1.25s. This is obviously primarily a product of moving shot, which is already nerfed this publish. I don't see anyone complaining about normal bows being 1.5s or heavy crossbows being 1.75s, it's only composite bows at 1.25s that people dislike. Make composite bows 1.5s maximum in PvP- problem solved and you don't have to do this great overarching swing speed rework that affects every dexxer in the game.

These are the weapons that will be affected by this change (across PvM and PvP, only pointing out weapons that are regularly used):
  1. Double Axe (1.3s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25 before this change)
  2. Longsword (1.4s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25 before this change)
  3. No-Dachi (1.4s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25 before this change)
  4. War Hammer (1.5s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25 before this change)
  5. Hammer Pick (1.3s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25 before this change)
  6. Maul (1.4s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25s before this change)
  7. Bow (1.7s swing base, effectively 1.75s, was 1.5s before this change)
  8. Composite Bow (1.6s swing base, effectively 1.75s, was 1.25s before this change)
  9. Crossbow (1.8s swing base, effectively 2.0s, was 1.5s before this change)
  10. Elven Composite Longbow (1.5 swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25s before this change)
  11. Heavy Crossbow (2s swing base, effectively 2s, was 1.75s before this change)
  12. Yumi (1.3s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25s before this change)
  13. Lance (1.7s swing base, effectively 1.75s, was 1.5s before this change)
  14. Lajatang (1.4s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25s before this change)
  15. Cyclone (1.3s swing base, effectively 1.5s, was 1.25s before this change)
  16. Soul Glaive (1.6s swing base, effectively 1.75s, was 1.25s before this change)
So out of these 16 affected weapons, 2 will have a base swing speed at a number that you can actually swing at: War Hammer and Heavy Crossbow. Someone at Broadsword clearly didn't do the math.

Last edited:

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
What a way to piss off all the archers, mages, and anyone wanting to play a hybrid. And even the pvm players.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Buncha muddled "we don't really play this game" PVP nerfs that piss everyone off, check. How many slow PVM weapons and high-stam PVM suits just took it in the rump because some hamfisted dev can't figure out how to nerf Moving Shot properly?

Crafted artifacts using Doom items as ingredients is a neat concept, but it remains to be seen if demand will eat into a 10+ year backlog of worthless artifacts enough to make going down there for new ones worthwhile. What we need are actual new items in the Gauntlet.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great, PvP ******** ****ing over PvM. Thanks, guys.
Pvpers didn't introduce 211 stam suits buddy. We pay to play just the same as pvmers.

You can thank the devs. They created every bit of this mess and they can just undo some of it.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The second set of changes was the only good one. The rest have been pretttty terrible.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then you clearly don't understand that it changed absolutely nothing. I will still run my Parry healing mage with alchemy and all I will adjust is fitting a sash in there. Why? Since it looks like EVERYTHING needs to be broken down for you. Since there is no distinct advantage or choice in templates I will continue to run the most offensive and most defensive template in the game. Do people have a choice to run whatever combo they want? Sure! but that sure doesn't making it a ****ing good choice.
And? Part of the problem with the Parry Mage was the 30 SDI cap, which was increased even further with Inscribe (for those who ran it.) You do realize that Focus Spec was part of the problem, right? Here, where I asked for an increase in the cap, while getting rid of Focus Spec:

Focused spec: Honestly, just get rid of it entirely, and bump the SDI cap up to 20% for all casters.
However you want to spin it, 30 SDI with the bonuses from Alchemy & EP, especially when combined with Conflag and/or Supernova, was the problem. Not sure how you can argue otherwise.

Either way, these aren't finalized changes. Relax.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked the focus idea they went with yesterday (yep they only had it out for ONE DAY). But they could have taken time to respond and explain very clearly how it would have worked. They decided to just say fk it everyone gets 20% sdi.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
-You had the right idea the first time with tactics but seemed to listen to like one player post about how it shouldn't affect LMC. Back to square one.
It is worse now. At first you could give up your LMC bonus by not taking Tactics, but now you MUST take Tactics in order to use specials

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The SDI flat cap of 20% is fine. I assume scribe still overcaps to 30%. A lot of templates would have been already at the 20% anyways. No one runs straight parry and magery. You'll get wrecked.

Im confused where the tactics changes came from. 30/60 skill for primary and secondary? Only guess is that they ready into the deathstrike scenario. But I'm not sure this was the fix for it.

The swing speed thing is going to hurt. I'm guessing if we wanted to nerf archery swing speed you should have just increased the base speed for composites to 4.5 or 5. but if we are going to stick with the scale id suggest to move it to 37.5% so you can at least swing at 1.5 seconds with a four second weapon. 3 second weapons are still capped to 1.25 seconds so nothing changed even at 40%. people should at least take time to do the math for pvm before commenting.

Disarm immunity is still fine. Dont touch it.

Still suggest we remove the delay on novas and drop damage some. no less than 20.

splinter proc disabled with disarm is still fine i guess.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I liked the focus idea they went with yesterday (yep they only had it out for ONE DAY). But they could have taken time to respond and explain very clearly how it would have worked. They decided to just say fk it everyone gets 20% sdi.
At this point ill eat 5 sdi to make this rollercoaster ride stop. its maybe a couple points per spell difference if you were actually only doing 25% sdi.
the change isnt that horrible.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It is worse now. At first you could give up your LMC bonus by not taking Tactics, but now you MUST take Tactics in order to use specials

this is the change that is really out left field.

like i said i can only guess they were trying to compensate for a few specific templates.

but im not sure. id suggest a revert to no tactics on this one.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
20 SDI on all mages is stupid. There will be no reason to have only one school of magic (IE old pure mages)

we checked damage yesterday with necro and mystic on Test

Necros did 100+ dmg Explotion, Omen, Flamestrike

Mystics did 100+ dmg Spell plague, Hail Storm

If magery only has 20 SDI it will do like 72 damage, it will be comparatively way under-powered

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
20 SDI all mages is stupid. No reason to have one school of magic only.

How were you okay with -5 per penalty skill from 30 sdi? 5% SDI really a deal breaker for you?

Even the 15% sdi difference was 4-6 points per spell difference. so a third of that is 1.3-2 points difference.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How were you okay with -5 per penalty skill from 30 sdi? 5% SDI really a deal breaker for you?

Even the 15% sdi difference was 8-12 points per spell difference. so a third of that is 2-4 points difference.
I wasn't ok with it.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Necros do 100+ dmg explo omen fs

Mystics do 100+ dmg spell plague hail storm

Magery only does... 70? Explo fs
yeah i think its 68-72 for exp fs if i recall

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think of you only have one school of magic it should be 30 SDI, if you have two it should be 20.

Combat mages, parry mages, 30 SDI is fine.
well no one runs around with just one school of magic.

but if you took in account their updated penalty list everyone would have had 25% sdi at most without scribe.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If believe it should remain exactly like it is on live with a 20 SDI cap on mystic and necro.

if you only have school of magic it should be 30 SDI, if you have two it should be 20.

Combat mages, parry mages, 30 SDI is fine.

I have been saying it from the start, people aren't playing parry mages cause they like them, or they are too strong, it's because they have to. The fact that we have gone from wanting to nerf moving shot a bit to entirely changing the game is flat out stupid.

You can leave pure mages completely alone, give mystic necro a small buff, and make it so archers don't mow down everything without parry and the templates would balance out.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If believe it should remain exactly like it is on live with a 20 SDI cap on mystic and necro.

I have been saying it from the start, ppl aren't playing parry mages cause they like them, or they are too strong, it's because they have to. The fact that we have gone from wanting to nerf moving shot a bit to entirely changing the game is flat out stupid.

You can leave pure mages completely alone, give mystic necro a small buff, and make it so archers don't mow down everything without parry and the templates would balance out.

the nerf is ok, even at 20 sdi cap with scribe the difference of exp fs is 6 points consistently. you still do 72 points consistently without scribe. top end damage on live is 76-80 points anyways.

i'm okay with the cap where it is. i dont have to worry about a random focus spec.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but...
You can have scribe on necro and mystic. There will be no reason to have just magery.

It is not like it wont all be able to fit, we can make templates with like 840 skill points.

I have a mystic parry suit that adds 115 I think? And a deathstriker suit that adds 120.

Last edited:

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't only have a problem with moving shot. I have a major problem with 50+ damage AIs every 1.25 seconds including 2 hit spells.

Remove the tactics requirement...again.
Hybrid mages 20SDI (mystic,necro, spellweave, chiv)
Tactics mages 30sdi
Parry mages 30sdi
Remove that dumb timer on supernovas.

CAP ARMOR IGNORE ON RANGED WEPS in PVP. I prefer 25. No harm to pvm and you're not screwing up any swing speed. 25AI, 10 velocity and 7 for hit spell still possible to hit for 42.

PARRY: Introduce a new hit spell for 1 tile melee weapons NOT RANGED. Hit lower parry. Works like HLD but for parry. There's the buff for melee and the problem of hitting parry mages solved. Again no miscalculations to the parry formula or screwing with the pvm community.

See how easy this can be?