• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Auction Safe Update

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings all, You can expect to see the following change after your normal maintenance cycle starting this afternoon. Auctions with an one hour duration can no longer be set to auto renew. Thank you! UO Team

Continue reading...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I will be hopeful before being cynical, but some additional explanation on how auction safes should be functioning would be helpful. These changes have been awfully confusing and clearly causing bugs that were unintended... more than one sentence update would help calm the crowd that has created several posts over on the official forums.

What was the intention of this change? Will this change do away with the 5 minute timer constantly resetting, even when not making changes to safes? Has the original issue of some folks losing proceeds from one hour auctions been resolved? Are there any limitations to how many safes you can use without any problems popping up? I guess we will know tomorrow.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's what I said the 60 min renew to avoid fees was not intended.

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
auction safe are like the only way to sell items over 175 mils by vendor search but you have to waste veteran picks.... the fees are about the same than commission vendor 5%. what will happen no one will do 1 hour auction now and raise the price by the % fees so the buyer will be the loser again. because running auction safe with no auto renew for 1 hour item with the damn waiting timer it is completetly dumb. they should just had fees.

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
like it matters, auction safes were a good idea but very poorly implemented, no one uses them for their intended purpose.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How are priorities determined?? How does safes or player memorials or even NL get to top of list vs decades old bugs or actual new content?
Safes had an issue. The devs noticed that players were using the 60 min auto renew to not have to pay fees. This was not intended so they fixed them to work as they should work.

You can probably still not pay fees on the 60 minute ones. But no renew forever.

Same as reapers casting now.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
auction safe are like the only way to sell items over 175 mils by vendor search but you have to waste veteran picks.... the fees are about the same than commission vendor 5%. what will happen no one will do 1 hour auction now and raise the price by the % fees so the buyer will be the loser again. because running auction safe with no auto renew for 1 hour item with the damn waiting timer it is completetly dumb. they should just had fees.
You are totally free to refuse buying items at that price. Or you can sell your stuff at previous price without increasing it ! Sell cheap, break the market, make us happy !

Lots of people were begging developers to sink gold out of the system. This is it. Voice of the crowd.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are totally free to refuse buying items at that price. Or you can sell your stuff at previous price without increasing it ! Sell cheap, break the market, make us happy !

Lots of people were begging developers to sink gold out of the system. This is it. Voice of the crowd.
I must be part of the minority that doesn't give a crap about how much gold you or anyone else has...*shrug*

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
That's what I said the 60 min renew to avoid fees was not intended.
Safes had an issue. The devs noticed that players were using the 60 min auto renew to not have to pay fees. This was not intended so they fixed them to work as they should work.

You can probably still not pay fees on the 60 minute ones. But no renew forever.

This is not true.

The initial problem was that there was a bug whereby items were being sold and the sellers were not getting any proceeds.

Then the "fix" the developers put in place borked the entire process of using safes to make them virtually unusable so that there was a constant 5-minute timer running where by you only had a few seconds to initiate a change, even if you weren't using any one hour auctions. Managing multiple safes on a house became an unwieldy, multi-hour process, and making it near impossible to update pricing in a reasonable manner.

Neither of these issues have anything to do with the fee. Statements that a fee was intended on the one hour auctions is pure conjecture until the developers confirm such.

This problem with auction safes not working properly is affecting a lot of people. Under no circumstances should the topic be derailed by another self-righteous discussion about greed and the fees. Create your own separate thread if you wish to bring the discussion in that direction.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is not true.

The initial problem was that there was a bug whereby items were being sold and the sellers were not getting any proceeds.

Then the "fix" the developers put in place borked the entire process of using safes to make them virtually unusable so that there was a constant 5-minute timer running where by you only had a few seconds to initiate a change, even if you weren't using any one hour auctions. Managing multiple safes on a house became an unwieldy, multi-hour process, and making it near impossible to update pricing in a reasonable manner.

Neither of these issues have anything to do with the fee. Statements that a fee was intended on the one hour auctions is pure conjecture until the developers confirm such.

This problem with auction safes not working properly is affecting a lot of people. Under no circumstances should the topic be derailed by another self-righteous discussion about greed and the fees. Create your own separate thread if you wish to bring the discussion in that direction.
Exactly. They had to fix them so they looked at the code. Saw the code was not as intended, then put the code the way it should have been.

I guess they fixed the issue that made them look at safes?

The devs decided greed is not good not me. So get off your high horse.

This has happened before when there was a bug in a part of the game and the devs look at it and notice something else is not working as intended so they correct both.

I assume the 60 min auction with no fee was intended to be a way to trade an item with someone without both parties being in game at the same time.

Last edited:

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Exactly. They had to fix them so they looked at the code. Saw the code was not as intended, then put the code the way it should have been.

I guess they fixed the issue that made them look at safes?

The devs decided greed is not good not me. So get off your high horse.

This has happened before when there was a bug in a part of the game and the devs look at it and notice something else is not working as intended so they correct both.

I assume the 60 min auction with no fee was intended to be a way to trade an item with someone without both parties being in game at the same time.
why do you have to give your tought on every post on every forum...when you dont know about what you are talking about....

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
why do you have to give your tought on every post on every forum...when you dont know about what you are talking about....
Nothing is incorrect about what I said. The safes had a problem where players were not getting paid correctly. The devs saw another part of the safes were not working as intended so they changed that part also.

If that is not correct, what is?

I'm sorry you have to pay fees now, Or reset them manually. I did not have anything to do with it. Email Mesanna with your anger about it.

Last edited:

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Nothing is incorrect about what I said. The safes had a problem where players were not getting paid correctly. The devs saw another part of the safes were not working as intended so they changed that part also.

If that is not correct, what is?

I'm sorry you have to pay fees now, Or reset them manually. I did not have anything to do with it. Email Mesanna with your anger about it.
do you really use auction safe? would you like to wait 5m30 seconds for each item you want to put for sale on your vendor?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
do you really use auction safe? would you like to wait 5m30 seconds for each item you want to put for sale on your vendor?
I agree with you it is not a fun change. I am a consumer. I buy at the Buy it Now price.

Yall got a change with no announcement. Then after a few weeks you got a vague write up as to why they did it.

When they do that to a section of game players it is not pleasant.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That’s part of the problem with this team they never ask the actual players of (fill in blank) but just make changes that pisses people off and the subs slowly drop might not be this change but the next why someone decided they are sick of this teams lack of communication and feedback from actual players outside their echo chamber

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And everything is top secret. Try getting something extra out of Kyronix on TC.

I think the echo chamber is email. easy to read and close. If you want something Email her.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So it can be closed and deleted lol
I’ve been to the m&g I’ll pass !

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Honestly, if it was such a big issue then why not just get rid of the 60 minute auctions altogether? Why all the other random changes? No more 60 minute auctions - 1, 3, and 5 days only ... or 1, 5, and 7 days ... or whatever ... Doing it this way just makes people angry at the entire process and the entire developer team.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I’m just wondering if I was in a music band and I had 250 k followers and ever year when I came out with a new album and had a concerts and the numbers dropped and did this year after year and the numbers keep dropping new albums after new album! I just wonder if I would still blame everyone else ? And come up with a thousand reason why it’s NOT ME it’s all those other things/ reasons why at the end of the day the audience isn’t there.
maybe listen to your followers?

your band sucks at this point but could be great your choice….

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I’m just wondering if I was in a music band and I had 250 k followers and ever year when I came out with a new album and had a concerts and the numbers dropped and did this year after year and the numbers keep dropping new albums after new album! I just wonder if I would still blame everyone else ? And come up with a thousand reason why it’s NOT ME it’s all those other things/ reasons why at the end of the day the audience isn’t there.
maybe listen to your followers?

your band sucks at this point but could be great your choice….

Apparently Mesanna has never read the mission statement..

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Apparently Mesanna has never read the mission statement..
LMAO You been here for how many years and you are trying to play this card. Tell me how long it has been UO was open and what happened the last time they could not keep their word. Wilki fielded the complaints on the forum and basicly told people to FO and that would be the last time they let plans out.

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What's the reaper casting change? Is it about using the reaper monster to Resist training or did they nerf the Spellweaver Mastery Summon Reaper spell? I hope not the latter, for casting Reaper is very handy during events.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What's the reaper casting change? Is it about using the reaper monster to Resist training or did they nerf the Spellweaver Mastery Summon Reaper spell? I hope not the latter, for casting Reaper is very handy during events.
Reapers did not cast for years. Then the devs were told about it at a meet and greet. So they now cast again. Shoppers beware.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If the devs actually played the game they would know about reapers.
100% - I'm pretty sure that the Devs stopped playing UO (official servers) years ago because that's the only reason I can think of for there being so many stupid bugs around for years or them acting clueless when hearing about a bug (Mesanna was dumbfounded when she heard Reapers weren't casting). I think it's also part of the reason we just get the same rinse/repeat content over and over...or instead of something to do, we just get a clicky. It's probably hard to create content when you are out of touch with the game/community.

I saw there was a St. Patty's auction (included lots of different stuff) where there was an outfit from '99 that was loot on a "leprechaun" and this is a perfect example of something that used to be so cool to me as a player; that almost every holiday there was something to do for a couple weeks that could net you some holiday themed gear. It doesn't have to be anything earth shattering... but having NPC leprechauns randomly popping up in the woods March 1st through 17th that would drop some gold and maybe a slime green hat (or something to that effect) would be something that keeps interest in logging in to do something different rather than the same old thing. We don't always need best in class loot or a painful grind or 2 months to hoard 50 drops... sometimes just a simple "lucky hat" etc that dropped for 2-3 weeks is all it takes. For me, it's the small things like this that have fallen by the wayside that kept UO fresh for all those years.

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
You make a lot of sense. Much of what the game was built on (virtues, The Stranger, and so on) have been forgotten. It would be a good idea for devs to play as a part of their jobs (other than QA); say an hour a week above the world and another hour per week running Exo or something like that.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They get their play testing feedback mostly from people with no standards and it shows.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I saw there was a St. Patty's auction (included lots of different stuff) where there was an outfit from '99 that was loot on a "leprechaun" and this is a perfect example of something that used to be so cool to me as a player; that almost every holiday there was something to do for a couple weeks that could net you some holiday themed gear. It doesn't have to be anything earth shattering... but having NPC leprechauns randomly popping up in the woods March 1st through 17th that would drop some gold and maybe a slime green hat (or something to that effect) would be something that keeps interest in logging in to do something different rather than the same old thing. We don't always need best in class loot or a painful grind or 2 months to hoard 50 drops... sometimes just a simple "lucky hat" etc that dropped for 2-3 weeks is all it takes. For me, it's the small things like this that have fallen by the wayside that kept UO fresh for all those years.
So now we have
1-clicky (for those who don't want to fight , naming you)
2- limited time events with drop and score (you call it painful grind)
3-dynamic champ spawn with "lucky hat" as you asked .
4 Yukio quest caused grief
5- eggs gathering - caused grief
6-EM events (lots considering you make toons on different shards)
7- Krampush , pumpkins , Khaldun chests, etc...

First 6 have their haters. What people want is developers give them some item which no one else will have , so it can make them filthy rich . And it better be clicky , better in the Luna bank , cuz they value their own time so much and have no time to grind items. So how and why do you play this game ? Doing only banksitting ? Just continue doing so , nothing listed above is hurting you.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So now we have
1-clicky (for those who don't want to fight , naming you)
2- limited time events with drop and score (you call it painful grind)
3-dynamic champ spawn with "lucky hat" as you asked .
4 Yukio quest caused grief
5- eggs gathering - caused grief
6-EM events (lots considering you make toons on different shards)
7- Krampush , pumpkins , Khaldun chests, etc...

First 6 have their haters. What people want is developers give them some item which no one else will have , so it can make them filthy rich . And it better be clicky , better in the Luna bank , cuz they value their own time so much and have no time to grind items. So how and why do you play this game ? Doing only banksitting ? Just continue doing so , nothing listed above is hurting you.
You might want to check my posts before summarizing what I've said or maybe you need re-read (or have it re-translated) because you are completely incorrect when you are referring to me. In fact, based on what you've said you couldn't be more clueless about what I've said.

1. I've never asked for a clicky with the only exception being having the clicky in Fel (ie like Valentine 2021) with something that can be stolen. I always prefer to actually do something to get something.
  2. The only event that I've said has been a consistent "painful grind" is the last Deceit event on Origin because there just simply wasn't enough stuff to kill when only 3 people were in the entire dungeon. I've actually said the exact opposite of what you claim because I maintain that dynamic events are too long and they should be shorter. Re-read what I actually posted; I said something for St. Patty's day should be 2-3 weeks.
  3. What dynamic spawn has a lucky hat? Again go back to actually read what I wrote. I asked that there be a 2-3 week period where something randomly spawns with a holiday theme and gives a holiday item (no stats) that commemorates that time in UO and allows people to do things together and roleplay (dressing as a leprechaun etc). I'm guessing you are relatively new to UO so you don't actually know that these are the sort of things we got almost every holiday in UO. What I'm asking for (which is what we've had in the past) is MUCH different than a static 30day dynamic spawn twice a year.
  4. Yukio quest (IMO) was one of the last quest events that I thought was good (doing the quest got people best in slot item). I think it was about right to receive a best in slot item (1 out of 8) with the only possible tweak being allow for people to trade in something like 10 items for earrings.
  5. Egg gathering was something I had no problem with; it was the scripting I had a problem with (along with everyone else). So you are very wrong about this one. The Devs/GMs needed to police the scripting better and this would have been fine.
  6. EM events are borderline unplayable for many (and I think you would know this considering you say your ping is like 400). It's also a poor setup from the handful I've done; basically you kill a bunch of smaller mini-bosses but need to kill the main boss for a drop. Every single time I've gone - I've missed hitting the main boss because it's very difficult to target given the lag and the hard to see target.
  7. Krampus/pumpkins/Khuldan/Artisan - All refer to recycled Halloween & Xmas events.

What do all things that you have provided (aside from Yukios) have in common?? They are all rinse/repeat content the Dev team basically just turns two-three times a year. Allow me to summarize what I've said in the post you referenced since it's clear to me based on your post that you don't seem to understand what I wrote (maybe it was too wordy for you). In summary, I think that UO should offer MORE FRESH CONTENT to players MORE CONSISTENTLY.

Here is what I'd like you to answer for me to really see if you've been paying attention to what I've been saying (along with many others). Out of your list of 7 things that we "now have" which are active right now for players to go do at 7:30am local time? In fact, in the last 3 months there only things to do have been a Valentine clicky and EM Events. The one thing that you say people don't complain about is #7, right? Even though it's recycled content, it's something people can do in the spirit of the holiday which is basically what I said should be done for every holiday; a little something people can do for a few weeks in the spirit of the holiday. To further that point, I've been saying for years that we don't need longer content; we just need more of it throughout the year. Instead we get 2 dynamic events a year along with some other recycled content that spans several months at time. That, in turn, gives people lots of extra time to complain and bicker about everything. Look at some of the threads on the official forums... people are so bored they are trying to reinvent the game.

So to answer your question of how/why do I play the game... I'm currently just logging in to tend to plants to get ready for the upcoming event because there is nothing else to do for me in the game. I play the game because it's something to keep me engaged with some sort of goal to work towards. It's been 3 months since we had some sort of limited content to do so I've done the BOD things / champ spawn thing / Shadowguard / Roof / etc thing. Those get old fast when you've done them so many times. In short, I've already attained all those goals and it's boring to keep doing them again. When there actually is content to do I'm actively playing the game and the only thing that is actually "hurting me" is the lack of original content...or just content at all. I, along with most people, would be happy just getting something new/different to do than the same old thing.

So please, do not try to speak for me when you have no idea what I'm actually trying to say because I've never said half the things you claim I have.

Side note - you assume everyone wants something to make them filthy rich but I can say with 100% honesty that the last 2 dungeon events (and Krampus) I have not sold a single thing. I have plenty of gold but if I wanted more then I'd just go do some spawns or Shadowguard or UW to sell what I get from those in the downtime because I can sell those drops for 100m+ relatively easy.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Is it just me... or did all the recent issues with Vendor Search this past week begin after the Auction Safe update went live?

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems that way it’s far worse than I’ve seen it before
I gave up and left Atl went back to Pac same issues

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Is it just me... or did all the recent issues with Vendor Search this past week begin after the Auction Safe update went live?
cant log on uo.com forum....cant use vendor search...and they want us to beleive they are able to do a brand new shard ???

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
and they want us to beleive they are able to do a brand new shard ???
Let's say we get to that point. How laggy will it be with most everyone there the first few days.

The 25th party on Origin was in slow motion when we all ran to the clicky she put down.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Let's say we get to that point. How laggy will it be with most everyone there the first few days.

The 25th party on Origin was in slow motion when we all ran to the clicky she put down.
*picks up dropped pom pom*

I think you dropped this... I also think what you meant to say is that "of course they are going to do great on the brand new shard and the only reason there are any issues right now is because they are focusing on making that new shard perfect" :hahaha: :hahaha: